Start by marking “Beauty And The Beast (Matthew Hope, #3)” as Want to Read:
Beauty And The Beast (Matthew Hope, #3)

Beauty And The Beast (Matthew Hope #3)

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  388 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Matthew Hope spots her on Saturday, exquisitely beautiful, strolling topless on the beach. On Monday, she shows up in his law office, beaten and bruised, ready to file for divorce. By Tuesday, she is dead--and her big, ugly husband is arrested for murder. But Matthew believes he is innocent; now, he has to prove it.
Published July 15th 1982 by Hamish Hamilton (first published January 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Beauty And The Beast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beauty And The Beast

David Highton
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Matthew Hope character continues to develop with a story of a white wife of a black husband being beaten one night and murdered the next. Hope gets dragged into the case despite not being a criminal lawyer and finds the racial tension in SW Florida still alive and well in 1982.
Cathy DuPont
Feb 08, 2013 rated it liked it
The characters, especially the protagonist, and the storyline in books have about equal value when I rate books.

Although this book is number three in the series, of attorney Matthew Hope, it’s the fourth book in the series which I’ve read and my bonus for all of them is that they are set on the southwest coast of Florida, south of Tampa, in fictional Calusa.

It was good, don’t get me wrong but the storyline left a lot to be desired. To top it off, the reader learned of insignificant law cases, mo
Ezinwanyi
This is a beauty and the beast meets In The Heat of the Night (TV show). It's was interesting. This French beauty meets and falls in love with an army guy, a big hulk-like black man (described as King Kong, black as coal, ugly as hell etc).

She shows up to a lawyers office requesting a divorce due to spousal battery and the next day, she's found beaten to death. The town is an uproar over the beast killing the beauty and all the hidden racial animus bubbles to the surface. However, this story ill
Marie
Feb 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Older story. I thought it was well told - I listened on audio.
Charles
Apr 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I liked it a lot. I really enjoy the Matthew Hope mysteries. It's interesting that McBain can have the character leading a relatively normal life while having all these things happen around him, and yet it doesn't slow down the book's pace. Nicely handled. I've read several others in this series and likely will read them all.
Brian O'Leary
Oct 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Hope is a great character, but it can only carry a series so far.
Chy
Jun 18, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a history of how I found and read this book. Yes---how I read it. Which, I discovered, was...weird, when stacked against the kinds of books Ed McBain seems to write and, hell, the fact that this seems to be third in a series.

So I found it in Goodwill. It's a hardcover with a lighter gray color to it. Red lettering (on the spine only) let me know the author's last name, the title, and the publisher. I love Beauty and the Beast stories, but it's not like I expected this one to be a retelli
Allison
I read a description of this series somewhere that tagged it as 'X-rated fairy tales.' I guess the idea of racial mixing was a lot more horrifying to people in the early 80s, when a black man and a white woman having sex didn't even bear thinking of. While this book does use a lot of visual imagery that is erotic, I've read pulp romances with more actual sex in them. I guess that's not the point of a mystery, even a supposed sexy mystery.
The writing style and the characters in this book strongly
Gerald Kinro
Jan 27, 2015 rated it liked it
A Matthew Hope novel set in Florida. Divorce lawyer is drawn into a criminal case when he must defend the seemingly guilty Beast for murdering his wife, the Beauty. Not just murdered, but burned to death on the beach. Only the day before, she had come to hope for help in getting a divorce. Hope somehow has faith in the beast and painstakingly, against the odds, works for his client.

This is a good mystery that McBain succeeds in drawing the reader in and leading along. He explores an area that w
Lee
Matthew Hope was on the beach with his girlfriend, Dana when they noticed a beautiful woman jogging down the beach. The next time Matthew saw her, she was dead and her husband has asked Matthew to represent him when is is charged with murder. Not a criminal attorney by experience, he is reluctant to take the case but finds no other reputable attorney is willing to represent George Harper and Matthew feels obligated to try.
Courtney
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
This is another one that I haven't read in years, most likely not since I was 14-16, somewhere around there. I found it while searching through a Half Price Books with my father and thinking it was of the fairy tale variety, was instead pleasantly surprised by the subject matter. An excellent novel that preys on people's preconceived notions, and one where I truly believe the ending is nearly impossible to predict.
Ruth Peters
Mar 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very Good Book

I would recommend this book. it was as very Good read I did really enjoy this story and enjoy other books like this one
Gizzard
Aug 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 32013
A decent lawyer myster but a bit dated.
Miss
Oct 06, 2010 rated it it was ok
It was no Ian banks.
Nancy
Aug 16, 2013 rated it liked it
I like the Matthew Hope series. This is an easy read with an interesting plot.
Donn Lorber
Oct 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Another solid old school police story, well written and an easy read
Sheldon Lehman
Apr 20, 2011 rated it it was ok
It reminds me a lot of Lawrence Sanders' Archy McNally Series, only the protagonist actually has a job.
Nella
Oct 11, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, audiobook, mystery
Lack of mobile phones etc dates this book, but still holds up. Guessed the baddy by CD 3
Susan Clayton
Sep 07, 2016
Ayres
May 15, 2014
  • Candyland
  • Sugartown (Amos Walker, #5)
  • Zero Separation (Donovan Nash #3)
  • Breeder
  • Bum Steer (Jenny Cain, #6)
  • The Drive-In: A Double Feature Omnibus
  • Interest Of Justice
  • Season Of Secrets (Lowcountry Suspense #3)
  • Cold Heart (Lorraine Page, #3)
  • Not in the Flesh (Inspector Wexford, #21)
  • Something Deadly
  • The Case of the Caretaker's Cat  (A Perry Mason Mystery)
  • The Blackheath Poisonings: A Victorian Murder Mystery
  • Skull-Face
  • The DCI Jones Casebook: Raymond Collins (The DCI Jones Casebook #2)
  • The Tomorrow File
  • Grave Concerns (Dr. Rhea Lynch, #4)
  • Cities of the Dead (Michael Spraugge Mystery #4)
"Ed McBain" is one of the pen names of American author and screenwriter Salvatore Albert Lombino (1926 – 2005), who legally adopted the name Evan Hunter in 1952. While successful and well known as Evan Hunter, he was even better known as Ed McBain, a name he used for most of his crime fiction, beginning in 1956.

He also used the pen names John Abbott, Curt Cannon, Hunt Collins, Ezra Hannon, Dean Hu
More about Ed McBain

Matthew Hope (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Goldilocks (Matthew Hope, #1)
  • Rumpelstiltskin (Matthew Hope, #2)
  • Jack and the Beanstalk (Matthew Hope, #4)
  • Snow White and Rose Red
  • Cinderella (Matthew Hope, #6)
  • Puss in Boots
  • The House That Jack Built (Matthew Hope, #8)
  • Three Blind Mice
  • Mary, Mary
  • There Was A Little Girl (Matthew Hope, #11)