Start by marking “Dream Dark (Beautiful Creatures, #2.5)” as Want to Read:
Dream Dark (Beautiful Creatures, #2.5)

Dream Dark

(Beautiful Creatures #2.5)

When Link joined his best friend, Ethan Wate, on a quest through a mysterious network of underground passageways endlessly crisscrossing the South, he knew the journey would be dangerous. But returning home to Gatlin, South Carolina was just the beginning...

Wounded during a climactic battle, Link discovers that tending his injuries won't be as simple as visiting a doctor
Published August 2nd 2011 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published 2011)

Start your review of Dream Dark (Beautiful Creatures, #2.5)
Miranda Reads
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
This is the story of Gatlin's first, and only, Linkubus.
Before we get into this, please allow me to express my rage. Link finally gets his own novella. . . And it's narrated by Ethan?

Excuse me?

Link is literally the only reason I slogged my way through these novels.

And then I find out that his entire novella is told from the perspective of Ethan telling a story about Link - but it's a close telling (i.e. Ethan is stating Link's thoughts)...so begs the question - why not skip the middle-man
Heidi
Jun 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dream Dark is a small splice in the Caster's Chronicles. This short story follows the lovable Link as he begins his metamorphosis into Linkubus or an incubus. I was distraught at the end of Beautiful Darkness when Link was bitten by the half incubus, John Breed. How could you ruin my favorite character? Fear not, fellow Link lovers; our beloved Link is intact and better than ever. As an incubus, Link finally morphs into the muscular, "third degree burns hot", babe magnet that he always aspires ...more
Marnie  (Enchanted Bibliophile)
I think this would have been better told form Link's perspective.
The fact that Ethan know this much about his friends feelings and bodily functions is disturbingly weird.

I'm not sure if this short story has any significance in the bigger scheme of thins, I'll come back and update this review if it is.

Linkubus
MissBecka
Oh Linkubus, whatever will we do with you.
Cute short story about that silly, weirdo Link and his recent "changes".
Link is one of my faves, so I am always gonna enjoy more time with him.
Would have preferred if he narrated his own story instead of Ethan.
Stacia (the 2010 club)
This is the story of Gatlin's first, and only, Linkubus.

I approve of this message.

Very short review for a very short story. It's no secret that I'm only still reading these books for Link and Ridley. Beautiful Darkness was a bland 2 star read for me. The only parts which had my interest were any scenes with L & R. So it's no surprise that I enjoyed this L & R short much more than I did an actual book about Ethan and Lena.

In fact, this might be one of those rare occasions in which I'm
Ashley Daviau
I was excited for this story originally because it features one of my favourite characters from the series, Link. And while I did enjoy it, I did think it was a bit pointless and don’t see how it added anything extra to the story. If anything it should have just been slimmed down and added into the end of the second book.
Ron
Oct 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first thought after finishing this: "What? That's it? That's the end? It's too short!"

I was really getting into the story and was surprised when I turned the page and saw the authors' bio.
It's still a good lead-up to the third novel in the series.

If you don't know, 'Dream Dark' is short story set in the same world as 'Beautiful Creatures' and 'Beautiful Darkness'. It's pretty much a prequel to 'Beautiful Chaos' (which was released on Oct. 18), focusing on the series' main character's friend,
Sophie Riggsby / allthingsequilateral
I think that somewhere right about here, this series jumped the shark for me. I'm sorry to say good-bye to my beloved Ethan, but I just don't care for the "who's mortal/immortal in this story?" feel of the plot lines.

This is an example of a series that would've been wonderful as a two-book series.

Good-bye Ethan. Lena, I hope you choose one or the other side or frankly, both if it suits you.
Alaina
Well I guess I can't complain about how short this was (about six chapters) because I mean it is a novella. It was cute and all but it wasn't my favorite. I liked seeing some of the characters again but I'm also really happy that this was just six chapters long. I didn't want more of any of it. I'd rather just stick to the bigger books, the actual books, with all the information about all of the intriguing characters.
nancy (The Ravenous Reader)
When it comes to the saying "good things come in small packages" nothing rings more true than Dream Dark by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. This mini-novella packs a wallop of a punch because it is full of mystery, laughs and the awesomeness that is Linkcubus.

I adore this series for it's Gothic feel and beautifully descriptive writing for it conjures up the most vivid imagery and makes you feel like sipping sweet tea while hiding out in your closet.

Dream Dark is a mini-novella centering on
Grace the Book Queen
Yay!! A short story about Link!! The only thing I didn't like was that for some strange reason it was written from Ethan's perspective? Like what?
Jerecho
This short story must been better if it is written in Link's point of view rather than Ethan.

Ethan may know a lot about Link but I don't understand why he can transcribe in details what happen in the tunnel and beyond. I guess they are that close...?

Anyway, it's a good read...
OonaReads
May 06, 2016 rated it liked it
This was alright. I just feel like it was really short and we don't really find out that much about Link.
Alex Bennett
When I read Beautiful Creatures, I was amazed. After reading the second book, Beautiful Darkness, I wasn’t as pleased. My main problem with the second book in the Beautiful Creatures series was Lena, but I started Dream Dark with a fresh mind, knowing that this short story featured Link, who has always been one of my favorite characters from the series.

Dream Dark tells the story of Link, rowdy, love-stricken teen boy and his transformation to an incubus, completely unaware of what lies ahead for
Jessica (The Psychotic Nerd)
This was a really short story giving more insight on how Link dealt with being an Incubus. I'm not the hugest fan of this series, but I did find this book very interesting. It's nice to see how he dealt with it and it was oddly amusing seeing how Link's family thought about his new abilities.

My only complaint would be that this is from Ethan's point of view, which doesn't really make much sense. I would have preferred to see this fro Link's perspective.

Anyway, this novella isn't necessary for
Tijana
Dec 02, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

List of my Top5 all time favorite series:

1. The Hunger Games
2. Fever
3. Vampire Academy
4. Caster Chronicles
5. Jessica Darling series

So yeah, my love for Casters' world is pretty damn big. And considering there are only four books in the series, of course I'll use any chance I have to read a few extra pages about it. Can't say I was completely pleased with this novella (or it's lenght), but it did give me that intense feeling under my skin I get every time I read these books.
Solid story
Neil (or bleed)
Apr 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novellas, 2013-reads
A novella dedicated to Link. Awesome.
His life being an Incubus.
And there is a new character I thought has no importance but unfortunately I'm wrong.
Jenn
So it's been awhile since I've read anything from this series and I was about to start the third one when I saw that there was this novella. So of course, I had to read it first. And let me just say, aside from the very last page, this novella really didn't do anything at all.

The novella follows Link from realizing he can no longer eat his mothers breakfast to being tested for steroids to finally uncovering a plot of sorts (which I'm sure will take more effect in the next book). I mean, if
Lee Coleman
DD is a 41 page short story that takes place after beautiful darkness and centers around ethan's best friend, link. this short novella was apparantly released as a separate installment after BD and included early bonus chapters of beautiful chaos. so while DD states it is a 75 page book, it is actually only 41 pages long, and subsequently many GR reviews will reflect disappointment in spending $1.99 on 41 pages. fortunately for me, i got it as a bonus included at the back of my paperback copy of ...more
Heather
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From the first sentence of any of the Caster Chronicles books, you instantly feel like you're amongst friends and you're home. And in this short story taking place between last year's Beautiful Darkness and the upcoming Beautiful Chaos, you step right back into the thick of things in Gatlin and get reacquainted with Ethan, Lena, ex-Siren Ridley, and new Incubus Link.

Ethan's best friend, Link was bitten at the end of Beautiful Darkness by John Breed, and Dream Dark follows his transformation
Chayse Sundt
Dec 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: august-tbr-2015
I am not going to lie but I was expecting it to be just a little bit longer. Well at least by looking at what page I finished the book on my nook at, I was expecting a little bit more but I could have actually read more.

However, I like being able to read from another character’s perspective. I feel that when we are able to do this, we are able to see what is happening from not only a different side of it but also get a different opinion sometimes. And I am glad that we are able to get a side
Tom
What do you do when you wake up one morning, and you've become an Incubus? You can't stand the smell of food, you've grown taller and stronger overnight, and it's not like you can find a pamphlet somewhere.

This is the situation Wesley "Link" Lincoln now finds himself. After his oh-so-mortal mom drags him to see the doctor--and have Link tested for steroid abuse--Link finally consults somebody who knows: his girlfriend's Uncle Macon, himself a former Incubus. Turns out, it's really not that
Coqui
May 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
I wanted to read this short story as an ending of the Caster Chronicles... I didn't I would like this side of the story more than the actual story.

This is the short story of the one and only Linkubus, i always liked this character in the story because it brings the human part, with this I don't mean that Ethan is not human but he is so in love that he sometimes forgets it... that is when Link comes around.

To hear the transformation from the Link part s very good because is real and written in
Kristen
Nov 30, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
These little "novellas" are starting to get annoying. I read this in 30 minutes. And it feels like a waste of the $1.99 to amazon. The preview of the next full length book was longer. And if I need the few facts that were learned in this little detour then we should just get them in one of the longer books. For those who agree that a book that takes less than an hour to read isn't worth it visit my blog over the next few days and I will tell you all you need to know from this book there! The ...more
Allie
Jul 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a short story at the end of my copy of Beautiful Darkness, so I didn't need to purchase it extra. Honestly I didn't even realize it was on here until a friend of mine marked it to read! I love Link, he is one of my favorite characters in the series. I have to agree with most people that this story was too short! It did show some wonderful Link development and I really enjoyed getting away from the Ethan/Lena drama a bit.
C
Mar 04, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Should not have wasted my time with this. In Beautiful Redemption , the characters reference incidents from this short story, enticing me to read it. Now I'm sorry I spent the $2. Yes, I realize it was a short story. However, in kindle measurement, I didn't really expect it to end at 41%. Yes, a full 59% of the story/book I bought was the preview for the next book in the series. LAME.
April
Apr 24, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-reads
A 35-page story. Set between Beautiful Darkness and Beautiful Chaos, introducing Link as succubus. Finally, an exclusive look into Link's change and a great lead into the third book. It ended kind of abruptly, coz I think I expected a little bit more. Nonetheless I suppose it does add to the storyline but it was awfully short.
Staceyj
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More Link is always welcomed.
Louisa
Nov 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story was weird, and awesome, though the ending, with the guy who was supposed to get Macon's note being killed by Hunter, and then the note being blank, yeah. I can't wait to reread more, I know a bit of what's going to happen next, but not all!
Jessica
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great novella. I am enjoying Link and Ridley's new relationship and interested to see where it goes, and now awaiting the final battles against Abraham and Sarafine in the last two books.
Paperback? 3 29 Jun 11, 2013 06:38PM
favorite character 2 12 Jan 26, 2012 07:19PM
release in UK 2 10 Aug 12, 2011 04:54AM
dream dark: what do you think will happen? 1 7 Jul 16, 2011 06:55PM

• The Rise of the Hotel Dumort (The Bane Chronicles, #5)
  • Myrnin's Tale (The Morganville Vampires)
  • Clever John (Maiden Lane, #2.5)
  • Omega (The Infinity Division, #2)
  • Here at Dawn
  • Sick Kids in Love
  • Killing Giants (The Legacy Chronicles #6)
  • The Vampire's Curse (Undead in Brown County, #2)
  • The Fox
  • Infinity (The Infinity Division, #1)
  • Vampoodle
  • The Pierced Heart (Charles Maddox #4)
  • On Halloween Night
  • Raising Monsters (The Legacy Chronicles #5)
  • Betrayed: Book Two - The Road to Redemption  (Law Of The Lycans, #6)
  • Eloise Decorates for Christmas
  • Eloise Skates!
  • Hedgehugs
Kami Garcia is a #1 New York Times, USA Today, and international bestselling author. She is the coauthor of the BEAUTIFUL CREATURES series, which has been published in 51 countries and 37 languages, with over 10 million copies in print. In 2013, Beautiful Creatures released as a feature film from Warner Brothers. Kami is a cofounder of the YALLFEST kid lit book festival and the author of five solo ...more

Beautiful Creatures (4 books)
  • Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1)
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
  • Beautiful Chaos (Caster Chronicles, #3)
  • Beautiful Redemption (Caster Chronicles, #4)
“They both smiled—Link at the memory of all the pie in his past, Macon at the thought of all the pie in his future.” 4 likes
“So You’re Powerless Now, But You’re Going Out with One of the X-Men.” 2 likes