Start by marking “Mercury Rises (Mercury #2)” as Want to Read:
Mercury Rises (Mercury #2)

Mercury Rises

(Mercury #2)

Fresh off their successful quest to thwart not one, but two diabolical plots to destroy the world, jaded reporter Christine Temetri and rough cherub Mercury find that mysterious powers outranking even the Heavenly bureaucracy seem intent on keeping the Apocalypse on track.

Mercury Rises continues author Robert Kroese’s tale of the heroic cherub Mercury, who is generally wel
Published October 18th 2011 by 47North (first published July 19th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Mercury Rises, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mercury Rises

Start your review of Mercury Rises (Mercury #2)
Marvin
Jan 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, fantasy
While not the equal of Mercury Falls, Mercury Rises is still ample evidence that Robert Kroese is the best humorist on the south side of Christopher Moore and one of the best social satirists since Douglas Adams. There is certainly a lot of influence from both writers. Kroese has a singular wit and a talent for lambasting both mythical warhorses and pop culture silliness in the same paragraph...
"Bigger than the Attache Cases of the Apocalypse?" asked Uzziel. "Like what? I've looked into the repo
Jason
Feb 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013, e-books
4.5 Stars

Mercury Rises, book 2 in the Mercury series by Robert Kroese is not a disappointment. As a second book it was not quite up to the standards of Mercury Falls because of the lack of interaction between Mercury and Christine. This book does however ratchet up the humor and the wit.

There are so many great one liners that will have you laughing out loud. There are many incredible references that are equally hilarious. There are so many quibs that I am sure that I overlooked many of them.

I
Jeff
Oct 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Ever since I read Mercury Falls earlier this year, I have been looking forward to the release of Mercury Rises. I even put the release date on my calendar and pre-ordered it, which is not something I do often.

Mercury is one of the best characters ever created and I can't get enough of his aloof attitude and ridiculous comments. My major complaint about this book is that it seemed short on Mercury. His story ark takes place mostly in the past (the way past), which means his interaction with Chris
Melissa
Nov 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure I liked this book as much as the first one, but it was still enjoyable. It was nearly half-way over before Christine and Mercury were reunited, and their banter was one of the things I was really looking forward to in the sequel. However, the plot continued on with some of the same characters, though I found the glimpses into the past somewhat confusing as I generally prefer a more linear narrative rather than one that's consistently interrupted by "flashbacks."

I am excited though
Barbara Douglas
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Even more fun than the first book, because it was a lot less clear how things were going to play out. Full of fun twists; though possibly less philosophical than the first. I especially enjoyed the glance back at the Noah story, and the clever way he found to make Noah contemporary with Old Kingdom Egypt and the first Babylonian empire.
Julia
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
As he spoke, a giant, beautiful parrot alighted on his shoulder.
“Noah!” warbled the bird. “I am the LORD your God. The flood is over! Land the boat already! You want a cracker? That’s a good girl. Tell him, just like that. Don’t forget the first part. I am the LORD your God!”
It's 2000 B.C. and Mercury is building ziggurats in Babylon for a mysterious purpose he doesn't quite understand. Simultaneously, it's right after the events of Mercury Falls and Christine is dealing with the aftermath of
Katy
Aug 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who like to laugh and don't take religion too seriously
Recommended to Katy by: Amazon.com Vine
Shelves: vine-book
Please note: I will not change my rating or review, as my reviews are based upon the book, but I will warn other bloggers that this author has recently treated a fellow blogger very badly and abusively when she politely declined his review request and advised him to follow submission guidelines in the future when requesting a review. I have removed myself as a fan of this author and will no longer support him through purchasing his books.

Book Info: Genre: Urban Fantasy, humorous
Reading Level: Ad
Karen
Apr 01, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars really. This is a very funny book, not quite as good as the first, but pretty good. Because I am a Jesus follower, I struggle with the irreverent nature of this book. Having said that, if you liked the first book, you will like this one.
Kate
Oct 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Bite-sized Review
While not quite as fun as Mercury Falls, Mercury Rises still provided an interesting story with a sense of humor.

King-sized Review
I was really excited when I learned there was going to be a sequel to Mercury Falls, an incredibly hilarious and brilliant book about the Apocalypse. (Seriously, go check it out. It is completely worth it.) I mean, sure, the plot had seemed pretty nicely wrapped up at the end of the first book, but for more of Mercury and Christine and general ridicul
Ramie
Sep 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
One of the first thing I did when I got my Kindle? Find an indie author to try out, I didn't want my first experience with unknown authors to be bad. After much searching, I finally ventured into the world of the indies by downloading Mercury Falls I was not sorry. I loved it.

So when this popped up in the Vine program, the only disappointment for me was with Amazon having not yet showing this to me in the coming soon for you section on their site. I surely would have pre-ordered this baby on Kin
Emil Girardin
Jul 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Purchased Mercury Rises a month or two ago and got through the other 3-4 books that were in my queue. Just finished reading it, and it brings back such great memories of Robert Kroese's writing style (which is why I bought the sequel in the first place), but I found that I should have re-read Mercury Falls to refresh all of my angel/demon names. I caught up quickly and thoroughly enjoyed reading another installment in the escapades of Mercury and Christine.

With the death/disappearance of Harry G
Jeff Miller
Sep 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
The cover blurb says "the most highly anticipated sequel to `Mercury Falls' ever published"

Having been a fan of Mercury Falls I was looking forward to reading the sequel. Once again we meet Mercury the "renegade" Angel as he tries once again to stop a premature Apocalypse . The action picks up after the first novel where he again teams with the religion reporter who covered the Apocalypse beat. Considering the silliness of Harold Camping this novel fits right in. This time though the Harold Camp
stormhawk
I think Robert Kroese wrote a sequel to Mercury Falls so he could use lines from songs as dialog.

I think that Robert Kroese wrote a sequel to Mercury Falls to increase the level of entropy in the universe.

I think that Robert Kroese wrote a sequel to Mercury Falls to include a number of bizarre plot twists that make Mercury Rises a Monkee Romp of a novel leading to the inevitable conclusion that there must be another sequel.

I think that Robert Kroese wrote a sequel to Mercury Falls as a clever
Francis S. Poesy
Sep 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Don't tell the publisher but I was able to get an Advanced Reader Copy of Mercury Rises even though I'm only in the 80th percentile of Moderately Above-Average Readers. I enjoyed this book just as much, if not more than, Mercury Falls, the first book in what the author promises will at least be a trilogy. The pace is fast and the humor sneaks up on you before you realize it and what you thought were a couple paragraphs of exposition or lines of snappy dialogue turn out to be not only that but a ...more
Karen Jones
Oct 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A sequel to the hilarious Mercury Falls, Mercury Rises gives readers a insightful backstory on Mercury and his relationship to Tiamat who vows to make Lucifer's rebellion look like a toddler tantrum. I can see satan kicking and screaming now.

And who would have guessed the ark had a name? Noah makes a wonderful appearance with his big boat and been-cooped-up-too-long family and we learn what really happened to certain mystical creatures.

The apocalypse looms large yet again and much-loved characte
Tom Loock
Aug 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, sf
Four stars (instead of five for Mercury Falls) because Mercury Rises is better. WHAT?
Yes, book two is better because Robert Kroese has matured as a writer, but some of the (silly) humour got lost upon the way, and I miss it.
I wonder if you can enjoy this novel if you are not interested in religion at all or if you're a religious nutter. I am an atheist myself, but very much interested in the subject, so I'm fine.
I will most definitely read the third book in the trilogy.
Jenni
Jul 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
After reading Mercury Falls, I couldn't wait to get my hands on this book! I'm so glad that I was able to stumble upon Robert Kroese' work.
The story is about what happens after the apocalypse is thwarted by Mercury and Christine, with a side of flashbacks into Mercury's past. Kroese has a great sense of humor that shows itself in his writing. I don't generally read satire or humor novels, but in this case I'm looking forward to the next book!
I definitely recommend that you check out this book.
Howard
Oct 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful romp. While Mercury Falls was full of *nudge-nudge* moments that I felt distracted from the story, Mercury Rises lets the story dictate more of the comedy. There are still some of those moments that Rob can't help but throw in, but overall this is much better storytelling. Looking forward to the third!
Apr 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
A cast of returning characters from the first book and the same snappy dialogue made this a pretty great read. Not the startling, slap-in-the-face read that the first book was but very enjoyable nonetheless. I'm looking forward to continuing tales of the almost-apocalypse.
zxvasdf
Sep 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Fun and fast read, but now that I'm just reviewing it, I can't seem to remember much of it. But I'm sticking by my original rating because obviously I enjoyed the hell out of it.
Erika  *and her little dog too*
Great! I enjoyed it just as much as the first one.
Morgan Trias
Jul 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Gotta take one star off this for some sexist comment about angels not choosing physical forms because women have "complicated emotions" . Firstly what has physical form got to do with emotions, secondly, do women have complcated emotions? No women I know do. How about "angels usually chose male forms because it was much easier through most of history to be respected" then you can have what every author wants, a justification to have a disproportionatly male cast and and not being weird and sexis ...more
Melode
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
I was really disappointed by this book as I enjoyed the first one so much. I think that I really enjoyed the first one as it was a novel way of looking and thinking about God/earth/good/bad etc. The story was still interesting and it was well written.
Laura Pepper
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not quite as good as the first, but still fun
Jordan
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Hilarious! Totally reminds me of Christopher Moore, one of my favorites. I plan on reading books 3 - 5 over the Christmas vacation. I hope they keep up in quality.

Julie Davis
Sep 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Finch went on, "If these people spent as much time trying to develop a written language as they did making up deities, they wouldn't be in this jam. they've got rain gods, cloud gods, sun gods...I've documented three hundred different deities so far, and I'm not even close to covering them all. At this point there are probably more Tawani deities than there are Tawanies."

In fact, the Tawani only had seven gods and goddesses in their pantheon; the remainder they had made up just to screw with Hor
Kathy Martin
Oct 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting sort of story. I knew when I accepted the book for review that it was the second in the series and was told that it could stand alone. I really felt that I was missing something by not reading book one in the series because I didn't really find out very much about Mercury or Christine and felt that there was a lot of backstory that would have made this a richer reading experience.

The tone of the story is deeply ironic. I was told that it was funny but "funny" is so subje
Justin
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
The apocalypse has been averted, the bad guys failed, and the good guys triumphed. Massive casualties aside, all's well that ends well, right? Well, maybe not. Reporter Christine Temetri and the angelic troublemaker Mercury may have foiled plans for the end of the world in Mercury Falls, but some people just can't be talked out of, you know, trying to destroy all of existence.

Mercury Rises, the second book in author Rob Kroese's planned trilogy, picks up right where Mercury Falls left off. Still
Sx3
Jun 07, 2013 rated it liked it
I have to read the final book of the Mercury trilogy for a report but when I got through two chapters of the final book, I realized that I had to read the first two books because it is just one of those types of series that previous knowledge helps a lot.

Robert Kroese's Mercury Rises starts up where Mercury Falls has ended. All the angels and demons have dispersed but there is still a huge crater in downtown Anaheim with the FBI investigating.

Jacob Slater, a blast expert with the FBI, is on site
Brian
Mar 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Mercury Rises is the second book in a trilogy that follows up on the events of the brilliant first novel which have Mercury and Christine narrowly averting the Apocalypse. Because this book picks up after the events of the first, I would definitely go back and read Mercury Falls first if you're considering reading this one. I was really looking forward to reading this book as the first story had set the bar very, very high for me and I knew this one would have to be pretty close to perfect from ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The House in the Cerulean Sea
  • Tau Zero
  • Unseemly Science (The Fall of the Gas-Lit Empire #2)
  • The Last Human
  • Dispel Illusion (Impossible Times, #3)
  • Fearsome Journeys: The New Solaris Book of Fantasy
  • The Runelords (Runelords #1)
  • Brotherhood of the Wolf (Runelords, #2)
  • The Empress of Salt and Fortune (The Singing Hills Cycle #1)
  • Providence
  • Ruins (Pathfinder, #2)
  • Dead Funny Encore
  • Near Enemy (Spademan, #2)
  • The Plagiarist
  • Worm: The First Digital World War
  • Second Shift: Order (Shift, #2)
  • Half Way Home
  • I Wear the Black Hat: Grappling With Villains (Real and Imagined)
Robert Kroese's sense of irony was honed growing up in Grand Rapids, Michigan - home of the Amway Corporation and the Gerald R. Ford Museum, and the first city in the United States to fluoridate its water supply. In second grade, he wrote his first novel, the saga of Captain Bill and his spaceship Thee Eagle. This turned out to be the high point of his academic career. After barely graduating from ...more

Mercury (5 books)
  • Mercury Falls (Mercury #1)
  • Mercury Rests (Mercury #3)
  • Mercury Revolts (Mercury #4)
  • Mercury Shrugs (Mercury #5)