Start by marking “Start Fresh: Your Child's Jump Start to Lifelong Healthy Eating” as Want to Read:
Start Fresh: Your Child's Jump Start to Lifelong Healthy Eating

Start Fresh: Your Child's Jump Start to Lifelong Healthy Eating

Chef Tyler Florence believes that everybody deserves to eat delicious, flavorful food prepared with care and the freshest ingredients —and that goes for babies, too.  In Start Fresh, he takes the expertise he has used to create his own line of organic baby food and presents quick, user-friendly recipes for 60 purees packed with simple, easy-to-digest fruits, vegetables, a
Published June 7th 2011 by Rodale Books

To ask other readers questions about Start Fresh, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Start Fresh

Joanna Nice
Nov 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Everything I make from this book has been delicious! My 1 year old has been much more into the food than my 3 year old, but that also makes sense with Tyler Florence's point that introducing the flavors of good healthy food early on combats our culture's message that children will only eat pizza, fries, hot dogs, mac n cheese, and chicken nuggets.

I liked this "healthy eating for kids" cookbook so much better than Jessica Seinfeld's Deceptively Delicious. The recipes are simpler, they feature hea
Marianna Monaco
Nov 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cook-books
Terrific simple recipes for purees and roasted foods - flavorful and interesting for adults
Mandy Boman
Jan 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
These recipes are simple, easy, and so delicious. I have had this book for a little over a year now as I have cooked for my little one, and I have no regrets about buying it. The recipes are divided by stages - first foods (single ingredient purees), combos, food with texture, family meals. Almost everything I have made for my daughter (and my husband!) has been a hit. Here are some of our favorites:

Green bean, potato and kale puree (for the baby, but I even think it's yummy)
Spinach and roasted
Anjali
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: liam-winners
This book was a gift when I was pregnant with my first child, and I'm still using it now, over 3 years later with my second child. The recipes are excellent and easy to follow. My now-almost-4-year-old son is a fantastic eater, who willingly eats fruits and vegetables (with ice cream dessert to follow, let's be real). I'm hoping my second one follows in his footsteps. Both of them LOVE the potato/kale/green bean puree :). Either way, I think this book helped me get them on course to healthy habi ...more
Shannon Richardson
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book really introduced me to how to cook for my baby when he started solids. I love his advice to give them real food so their palate appreciates flavor! As a result, I now have a 5 year old who will eat anything.
Dayami Padron
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book!

Best cooking book for baby I have found so far for those who really want to offer their little ones a gourmet experience. All recipes can also be used for regular adult meals which makes it a plus! Highly recommend!!!
Kristin Madeleine
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
I love this guy's concept of cooking healthy, delicious and nutrient-rich foods from the start for your child. His book is organized into baby's ages; 0-3 months, 3-6, etc. As they progress through the months, the recipes become increasingly easy to share with the entire family instead of it just being baby food. Some of them could easily be made for a group of adults without anyone being able to identify it as being from a baby cookbook. We haven't made everything yet, but the ones we have made ...more
Cecely
May 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The recipes in this book are awesome..and not just for kids ;) We have started adding some of these recipes to our dinners (sans mashed up for mommy and daddy). Of course, for the nursing mother, eating some of these mashed/blended is a quick way to get some calories and nutrients for those hectic days when time to sit down and eat is hard to come by.
Heather
Nov 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks, own
I absolutely love everything about this cookbook - the recipes themselves (especially their versatility for everyone at the table), the photographs, the overall style. So often I go through cookbooks and really only want to make a handful of the recipes, but with this book I can't wait to make each one. My only wish is that it had 500 recipes.
Dec 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved the recipes in this book! They inspired me to cook for my baby, despite the fact that she is my fourth child! It made it less intimidating to cook my own baby food and gave me great ideas for my two preschoolers and my kindergartener.
emily
Jan 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
So, so useful. Yes, most of the early recipes are just steam/puree or roast/puree. But over time, the puree combos and the simple recipes have been really, really useful. I know *nothing* about babies' nutritional needs, so this has helped a lot.
Holly
Jun 28, 2013 rated it liked it
This book is worth reading for the "Roasted Golden Beets with Quinoa and Feta" alone, which my fifteen-month-old loves (even with kale instead of spinach). Also, the banana french toast sandwiches are simply and yummy and I never would have thought of them myself. Thanks, public library!
Erin
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I've only tried 2 recipes so far, but the coconut chicken recipe alone is worth the book - so simple and so delicious. I can actually make a quick dinner with these recipes, even while entertaining the baby!
Feb 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
What I like the most about this book as compared to others is that it gives me a little more confidence in starting to supplement/add single purees into the mix in the 4-6 age group. Also, the post 12 month foods look delicious (even to me)!
Ashley
Jun 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
Great recipes, and information. But as with any cook book chefs always seem to put a gourmet spin on everything. Unless you typically make gourmet meals you will be doing a lot of shopping for 'baby' food. But when I want to try something adventurous I look forward to trying his recipes.
Indira
Jun 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
recipes aren't that simple to prepare, requires lots of use of food processor, etc. and, not a whole lot of vegetarian options
Oct 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Yes, baby recipes are usually "(1) cook, (2) puree, (3) serve." True. But I like that this cookbook includes recipes for the WHOLE family (when the time comes). Yay for family dinners!
Lucy Bilik
Jan 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
good baby cooking book. Gives some unique and easy recepies for picky eaters.
Ladybird
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Worth buying.
Amanda
Oct 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Some of these recipes seemed a little complicated. I could see myself growing frustrated and giving up on some of them. There are some more simple ones as well. Worth a second look.
A.
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting-baby, food
I love the idea of making baby food that I would eat, and this collection has a lot of recipes that look delicious. Worth adding to your library for more interesting options for baby.
Amy Bell
May 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-of-2012
I borrowed this book from the library but I might just have to pick this up for my collection.
Abigail
Mar 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
Great Recipes for Children and Adults( with a little switch-a-rou). Would definitely recommend it!
Rosalyn Maben
Livia Daniel
Feb 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Paletas: Authentic Recipes for Mexican Ice Pops, Shaved Ice & Aguas Frescas
  • 201 Organic Baby Purees: The Freshest, Most Wholesome Food Your Baby Can Eat!
  • The Baby and Toddler Cookbook: Fresh, Homemade Foods for a Healthy Start
  • The Wholesome Baby Food Guide: Over 150 Easy, Delicious, and Healthy Recipes from Purees to Solids
  • How To Be The Parent You Always Wanted To Be
  • Clean Start: Inspiring You to Eat Clean and Live Well with 100 New Clean Food Recipes
  • The Best Homemade Baby Food on the Planet: Know What Goes Into Every Bite with More Than 200 of the Most Deliciously Nutritious Homemade Baby Food Recipes-Includes More Than 60 Purees Your Baby Will Love
  • The Mom 100 Cookbook: 100 Recipes Every Mom Needs in Her Back Pocket
  • The Daniel Plan Cookbook: Healthy Eating for Life
  • Superbaby: 12 Ways to Give Your Child a Head Start in the First 3 Years
  • Can It, Bottle It, Smoke It: And Other Kitchen Projects
  • Feeding the Whole Family: Whole Foods Recipes for Babies, Young Children, and Their Parents
  • The Family Dinner: Great Ways to Connect with Your Kids, One Meal at a Time
  • The Artful Parent: Simple Ways to Fill Your Family's Life with Art and Creativity--Includes over 60 Art Projects for Children Ages 1 to 8
  • Joy of Cooking: All About Canning & Preserving
  • Clean Eating for Busy Families: Get Meals on the Table in Minutes with Simple and Satisfying Whole-Foods Recipes You and Your Kids Will Love-Most Recipes Take Just 30 Minutes or Less!
  • Your Baby Is Speaking to You: A Visual Guide to the Amazing Behaviors of Your Newborn and Growing Baby
  • The Baby-Led Weaning Cookbook: 130 Recipes That Will Help Your Baby Learn to Eat Solid Foods-and That the Whole Family Will Enjoy