Start by marking “East Dragon, West Dragon” as Want to Read:
East Dragon, West Dragon

East Dragon, West Dragon

Two giant, imposing dragons confront their greatest fears…each other!

East Dragon and West Dragon live on opposite sides of the world. They have never met—and they like it that way. East Dragon is sure that West Dragon’s huge wings mean that he is very, very strong. West Dragon fears that East Dragon’s long, swishy tail means that he is very, very fierce. But when some m
Published January 3rd 2012 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about East Dragon, West Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about East Dragon, West Dragon

Start your review of East Dragon, West Dragon
Betsy
May 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Sometimes the obvious can also be the impossible. Take dragons, for example. Now say you're a children's librarian and a five-year-old approaches your desk and asks you for "a dragon story". And not one of those two-bit cheapo dragon titles either. Nuh-uh. An honest-to-goodness straight up dragon tale with scales and fire and knights. The whole shebang. Now logically, what with dragons being this eternal bit of subject matter that's just as popular with the kids now as they were 100 years ago, y ...more
Abigail
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Young Dragon Lovers / Readers Looking for Children's Stories About Cross-Cultural Friendship
East Dragon and West Dragon lived on opposite sides of the world, had very different customs, and interacted with their local human societies in quite different ways. Each thought the other must be quite fierce, and were content never to meet. But when West Dragon, tired of being bothered by knights intent on battling him, sent his king, together with all of his courtiers, on a wild quest that led to the eastern emperor's court, and then to imprisonment when the king's knights mistakenly attacke ...more
Jenny
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a fun story! Great illustrations!
Christine
This is a really neat story about two different types of dragons. Cute.
Polly
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So adorable! I love dragons, and this is one of my favourite dragon picture books!
Lu Benke
As I started this book, I wished I would be surprised by the ending. Something told me I wouldn't be, and indeed, I wasn't. That's the thing about books that set out to teach a lesson. You can see it coming and you're just supposed to agree that that is the way it "should" end and enjoy the path there. In this tale of two very different dragons that live on opposite sides of the world, we're supposed to accept that they somehow know about each other, dislike each other, and that should matter. T ...more
Cat
Mar 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
The east dragon and west dragon have their own ways of doing things and it isn't until they come together that they realize how good of friends they could be.
Kevin Warman
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
A darling children's book that can educate your child about diversity and acceptance. While I don't usually read children's book, this one was charming for all ages.
RJ
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children
Not what I expected. The plot's a little too clunky for storytime. It's interesting to see other reviews saying this book will help kids "understand cultural differences". I don't think it does a good job of that at all. Did no one at any point in the publishing process think it might look bad for Western Dragon to have modern furnishings and a video game console while Eastern Dragon is surrounded by people in kimonos tending to zen gardens and preparing sushi?
Katherine Cowley
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I found this picture book delightful because it takes legends of Eastern dragons and Western dragons in the same book, and the dragons get to examine their differences and go on adventures. I also liked the illustrations and the aspects that were influenced by Chinese brush painting.
Adrien
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fun story about two dragons who, having never met, are afraid of each other and stay on opposite sides of the world--until a quest brings them together. Illustrations highly entertaining and add to the reread value. This book is frequently handed to me as a bedtime read-aloud choice.
Molly Cluff (Library!)
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: family-storytime
LOVE.
Ashley
Oct 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Although this book is a but anachronistic, its premise is sound and I appreciate the subtleties of cultural miscommunication represented by the human reactions and perceptions towards the dragons. Perhaps an idea for a end of the year for my big kids?
Michelle Murphy
Oct 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
"East Dragon, West Dragon" written by Robyn Eversole is an endearing and important theme about two dragons who believe they are very different and do not accept one another. However, when they do end up meeting, they realize that the differences they have make them special and they both learn that it's OK to be friends with somebody different from you. I also appreciated that there is an underlying notion of ancient cultural differences of East and West that most children will not understand but ...more
Shazzer
Mar 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Three and a half stars

"West Dragon thought East Dragon was a snob. East Dragon thought West Dragon was a slob." And each is a little frightened of the other, because they don't know who is fiercer or who has the brighter, bluer fire. And so East Dragon and West dragon kept a world between them, and did not meet. That is, until the day that West Dragon sends a silly king and his pesky knights on a quest around the world (so he can take a nap), and the king insults the Eastern emperor
Kristen
I like that we find dragons in both Eastern and Western stories, and how would those dragons feel about each other? Living on opposite sides of the world, they have assumptions about the other, and they'd rather keep to themselves just in case the other dragons are bigger, fiercer, or have bluer, hotter fire. In the end, the dragons do end up meeting and find that their differences can be appreciated. Nice book to bring up discussions of how we react to "the other".

I wondered with the layout, h
Amanda Harrison
This small picture book has a lot going on in both story and picture and both are very good. Like all good stories, there are a lot of elements that a librarian could focus on. The character education as the east and west dragon learn to be friends and the adventure of the naughty knights who bother the dragon. The story reminds students that we don't all have to be the same in order to be friends. Good beginning of the school year story. The pictures add a whole new element. If you are using th ...more
Jim Erekson
Feb 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
The throwaway ending kept me from giving this a four. But the middle was a lot of fun. Putting the two main world dragon narratives next to each other in the same book was a great idea, and Eversole was playful enough with it so that there were a couple of laugh-out-loud moments in there. When the king and knights get sent on a goose chase to the east, it sets up the best moment in the book (no spoiler). From there, it seems like Eversole was just trying to figure out how to wind down. The 'and ...more
Kelsey
May 19, 2014 rated it did not like it
East Dragon and West Dragon aren't friends. West Dragon wants to get rid of some knights that bother him. He sends them on a treasure hunt. They are captured. West Dragon saves them. As they escape, East Dragon helps them cross the ocean. The dragons decide to become friends. The story feels somewhat disjointed without clear transitions. The story is also very heavy on text. It may be more enjoyable for adults that will comprehend the differences between east and west within context and apprecia ...more
Samantha
Nov 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
East Dragon and West Dragon don't like each other, but the truth is they're both slightly afraid of each other. They live half a world away from each other, but a when West Dragon's king and knights attack East Dragon and his friends the dragons finally cross paths. Each learns that they have special powers the other doesn't have and a friendship is forged.

Watercolor illustrations depict the detailed worlds of each dragon. I felt the artwork was stronger than the story, but it was ni
Jenevieve
Jun 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Picked this up at the library and Autumn and I love it!

I started reading other reviews after adding this little gem. Having lived in Asia, I am used to identifying things in a less western approach. This idea about west and east dragon being too difficult to keep straight is disappointing since I actually found this to give the story universal language. I believe the author chose her words to add to this lesson of diversity. Too bad others appear to have a narrow view about the flow and languag
Kia Gregory
Jul 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-ella
We must have had a theme this week at the library. Another City Mouse and Country Mouse type book. East Dragon, West Dragon. Funny story about two dragons from two different parts of the world. You have to read it and see the illustrations that make it so funny. As, an adult I appreciated this book a lot. For first grader, Ella, I think she liked it, but since ancient civilizations won't be covered until 7th grade, a wee bit was lost on her.
Amber
I loved this book. The illustrations are so much fun and you can spend so much time looking at all the amusing things that are happening in them (octopus smiling while wrapping a tentacle around a knight's neck anybody?). The story itself is a good one about not being afraid of someone that intimidates you because they may be more scared of you. It's also a good tale of appreciating your similarities and differences.
May 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Two dragons think that they are very different and could never be friends. After fighting a battle, the dragons learn that they want to know more about each other and become friends. I loved the colors and rough but busy style of illustrations.

Recommended for first and second grade students.

Also, I totally have Pet Shop Boys' "East End Boys, and West End Girls" stuck in my head now.
Maria
East Dragon and West Dragon are very different. Can they still learn to be friends or are they always going to strangers.

Why I started this book: I wanted to see how this picture book approached the differences in traditional dragons of Asia and Europe.

Why I finished it: I loved the illustrations and the gentle humor. My favorite were the pages with the feasts in Asia and in Europe. This is going on my list of favorite picture books.
Emily
Jul 31, 2016 rated it liked it
East Dragon and West Dragon live half a world away from each other and are not friends, but a when West Dragon's king and knights attack East Dragon they cross paths. Watercolored illustrations are pretty and vivid, the story is unique but lacks depth. It's rather wordy but could be a readaloud for school-age kids on fantasy.
Paul  Hankins
Scott Campbell (ZOMBIE IN LOVE)'s illustrations make this one work. The story, however, is a little strange. I get tangled up in all of the East Dragon/West Dragon nomenclature. A question--could this book have worked better if each dragon had a name? Or could this have taken away from the notion that east could be east and west could be west?
Beth Kakuma-Depew
I liked the east meets west theme, but I found the text very cumbersome to read out loud. I'm not a poet or English major, but the repeated names of East Dragon and West Dragon sounded clumsy. Also, while the illustrations had a fun humorous quality, they were hard to decifer. I thought the people were dolls or toys, but maybe that was point. Nice idea, mediocre execution.
Rosa
Jul 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
East Dragon and West Dragon are afraid of each other. They are very different and the cultures they live in also treat dragons very differently. When the dragons meet though they see that they have more in common then they thought. The pictures with many knights should be scrutinized for cuteness.
Diana Toole
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The moment we opened this book, it became an INSTANT family favorite! We borrowed it from the library, and I bought it the next day. The pictures alone are worth the while to pick it up!!!! But the story is charming, as well. We LOVE this book!!!!
« previous 1 3 next »

• This Is Not My Hat
  • I Am a Wolf
  • I Want My Hat Back
  • Life
  • Meltdown Madness (Looniverse, #2)
  • Hamstersaurus Rex
  • Mac Undercover (Mac B., Kid Spy #1)
  • The Birdy Snatchers (Kung Pow Chicken #3)
  • The Bad Mood and the Stick