Start by marking “Katwalk (Kat Colorado, #1)” as Want to Read:
Katwalk (Kat Colorado, #1)

Katwalk (Kat Colorado #1)

3.78  ·  Rating Details ·  1,400 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
When private eye Kat Colorado accepts a routine assignment investigating one man's finances, she never dreams that she will become embroiled in the elaborate, illegal, and dangerous scheming of a madman.
Published September 1st 1990 by Avon Books (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Katwalk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Katwalk

Carol.
May 27, 2015 Carol. rated it liked it
Recommended to Carol. by: Old-me. Way to go, Old-me.
Shelves: mystery, female-lead
Nostalgia Series #1

Way back in the mid-nineties, I tried reading every series with a female investigator I could lay my hands on. Kat Colorado is one of the series that I recall enjoying a great deal. When I reached the then-end, I was disappointed ended and hopeful Kijewski would resume. Meandering through the memory files recently, I decided to give this series another go, reading through the lens of a decade or two. After all, it won the Shamus and Anthony Awards for Best First Novel, right?

T
Bill
Feb 14, 2017 Bill rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-us, detective
Katwalk is the first book in Kat Colorado mystery series by Karen Kijewski. I bought this book by chance because the synopsis looked interesting. I'm glad that I took the chance as it was an enjoyable, interesting mystery.

Kat is a private investigator from California (she reminds me somewhat of Kinsey Milhone) who is asked by a friend to help with her divorce. She believes her ex-husband has hidden $200K from her so she won't get her share in the divorce settlement. As much as Kat doesn't like w
Barbara ★
PI Kat Colorado tries to unravel a real estate investment scam without getting killed in the process. She meets some wonderful people in Las Vegas, Joe and Betty and falls for Hank Parker. I'm darn sure we'll be seeing these characters again. Though I enjoyed the book, I can't honestly say that I was surprised at the ending. Typical adventure for a hard-headed female investigator: girl gets case, case becomes dangerous, boyfriend warns her off, girl rebels and gets captured and threatened, boyfr ...more
Agatha Donkar
Aug 03, 2007 Agatha Donkar rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, mystery, 2007
If it isn't already clear from the books I have listed here, I'm a sucker for a good mystery series with female protagonists; I picked the first Kat Colorado book up on the recommendation of the Novelist readers' advisory engine, and so far I'm enjoying Kat Colorado more than Kinsey Millhone (I gave up on Sue Grafton after H) but less than V.I. Warshawski and Stephanie Plum. Slightly more heavy than Evanovich but less than Paretsky, and a seemingly good mix of romance and mystery. Enjoyable enou ...more
Amy
Dec 31, 2008 Amy rated it liked it
I read another Kat Colorado book, which was my first, and was pleasantly surprised. Now, having read this book and another one as well, I am still pleasantly surprised. It's also nice to be filling in some of the background info on the "regular" characters. Kat's adopted grandmother occasionally reminded me of a certain octogenarian in our household. :) I plan to read more of the Kat series when I need a little bit of this sort of reading.
Margaret
Aug 12, 2011 Margaret added it
Shelves: 2005
liked this book a little more than I thought I would - the Kat Colorado character is kind of a cross between Kinsey Mahone (Sue Grafton) and Stephanie Plum (Janet Evanovich). She's not quite as humorless as Kinsey but not as madcap as Stephanie either. I'd consider reading more books in the series.
Vikki
Feb 12, 2008 Vikki rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes Janet Evanovich
I fell in love with these books from moment one. I found Kat Colorado to be a fun and quirky character and a less known predecessor to the now popular Stephanie Plum (series by Janet Evanovich). It was through my search to find similar authors to Kijewski that I stumbled upon Evanovich. Both women have a way of words and a way of making a story funny without being absurd.
LJ
KATWALK - EX
Kijewski, Karen - 1st in series

Sacramento investigator Kat Colorado jets to Las Vegas to check on a fortune owed to her friend Charity Collins by Charity's ex-husband, Sam. Kat proves that Sam's story of losing the money at the casinos is a fraud, but before she confronts him, he dies.

Excellent start to a new PI series.
E
Jul 10, 2016 E rated it it was ok
2.5* I remember reading this in the 90s when detective fiction with female protagonists was much harder to find and that alone was a reason to give it a try. I liked it well enough but, although I read at least one other book in the series, I never felt addicted to pursuing the rest.
Betty
Apr 20, 2014 Betty rated it it was amazing
It has been awhile since I have seen books by her. I have wandered what happened. I miss this series.
Joni
Aug 06, 2013 Joni rated it really liked it
Read this some time ago. I remember really enjoying Kijewski's work, read all she had out at the time, and then nothing. A shame. Strong characters, well plotted.
JoAnn Betschart
Jul 12, 2017 JoAnn Betschart rated it liked it
I read it because I lived in Sacramento and there was much hype about these books being set there. Well, most of this takes place in Las Vegas. Kat Colorado is supposedly a former investigative reporter at The Sacramento Bee who becomes a private investigator (maybe she took a buyout) and ... I can't remember the rest of the plot. Never mind.
Devorah Fox
Jul 06, 2017 Devorah Fox rated it liked it
This was a book club selection. I appreciated the author's introduction of a feisty female sleuth and will check out her further adventures. I liked the first half of the book better than the second.
Ray Pettiford
May 16, 2017 Ray Pettiford rated it really liked it
I had doubts that I would like this author, but I was pleasantly surprised.
aPriL does feral sometimes
Kat Colorado has already had an amazing 32 years and she is only getting started. Born to an alcoholic prostitute who did not want her or her accidental little sister, Cissy (Kat isn't certain her sister ever had an official name, but that is what her mother called the little girl - the mother was careless about naming both girls, not caring), she has become a private investigator after 8 years as a bartender, and 5 years as a investigative newspaper reporter. She picked up a Berkeley college ed ...more
Antof9
Jan 28, 2009 Antof9 rated it liked it
(This journal entry written on the plane to Charleston, so the tenses might be confusing!)

Here are some notes I wrote on the plane while reading:

I liked the tone of this author's writing. She's a little bit sassy, a little tongue-in-cheek, and often funny, while still saying real things about friendship and relationships, too. When Kat's friend Charity asks her to take on a job, Kat thinks about how much she hates working for friends. Among other things, it's "messy." I thought about it as I dro
Maureen DeLuca
May 01, 2016 Maureen DeLuca rated it liked it
This is the first in the Kat Colorado series- first book came out in 1989- so YES, it is a bit dated- but I have to say this , if you are looking for a 'fluffy sorta kinda book' but not one of the cozy mysteries where the cat or dog or bird or bagel maker solves the murders, this may be a good choice for you. I just started reading the Sue Grafton series- and I only just finished 'D' is for deadbeat- (1987) and I also just finished Janet Evanovich "four to score " (1998) And yes, this is the FIR ...more
Kristine
Sep 25, 2013 Kristine rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
This book was recommended to me because I am a fan of Sue Grafton and her Kinsey character. I did find myself comparing the two often and even went to my home library to check the copywrite date of A is for Alibi so I could be sure who started first. Both characters are single female Private eyes, but they are very different. I did like Kat as well as the other characters in this story and I found the book to be a very easy read. The story line did make sence and I do appreciate that in a myste ...more
Ubalstecha
Jul 27, 2011 Ubalstecha rated it liked it
Kat Colorado is your typical P.I., tough, possesing a sad, tortured background and a bit of a loner. This first book in the series finds Kat breaking one of her cardinal rules, don't work for friends. Adter agreeing to find out what a good friend's soon to be ex-husband has done with a missing $200,000, Kat finds herself in Las Vegas. Upto her neck in shady land deals and money laundering, she also finds herself testing old friendships and new.

Not a bad piece detective fiction. A little on the l
Sue
May 25, 2008 Sue rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Mystery lovers, private-eye readers
Recommended to Sue by: Moi
Shelves: comedy, mystery
This is a fun female private-eye book to read! I bought this in the 80's and held on to it, waiting for the right mood to strike me to read it and it's now. If you liked Janet Evanovich books I think you will enjoy this! Great lead character who is a bit self deprecating - you will find yourself chuckling out loud while reading this book ;)
EXCELLENT READ! One you get into it the story really starts rolling. Cleverly written and realistic to a point - I stayed up till 1am to finish reading this
Mary Sue
Feb 26, 2008 Mary Sue rated it it was ok
Recommended to Mary Sue by: library book club
Kate(Kat)Colorado is hired by her firend to find out where sooon to be Ex has hidden a bunch of money. Kat follows the money from Sacramento to Las Vegas. At the airport she bumps into an old childhgood friend who in reality is a hit-man. In the course of the investigation several people end up dead, some of them innocent by-standers, and Kat geta a broken arm, cracked ribs and lots of bruisers.Kat is a tough fighter but I wonder how she made the mental leaps she did in the course of the investi ...more
Lee
Dec 18, 2009 Lee rated it really liked it
I was deciding if not to put this in my "cozy" section, but these are a little more than a PG rated mystery. This is the first of nine in the Kat Colorado series,written in the '90's. A very fun series taking place in Sacramento, CA, with Kat being a PI & a couple of quirky characters to give ya a chuckle.
Betty
Aug 20, 2014 Betty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, american
I read this 25 years ago and just reread it. Except for no cell phones, this reads like a contemporary novel. I thought the end was a bit far-fetched, but I plan to read the next in the series because I did like the main character. I know it won awards when it was first published, but I was not overwhelmed.
Ed
Oct 14, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it
#1 in the Kat Colorado series. "1990 Anthony Award for Best First Novel; 1990 Shamus Award for Best First Novel "

Sacramento PI Kat Colorado - is asked by a advice columnist friend Charity Collins to locate funds hidden by her estranged husband. The trail leads to Las Vegas hoods with real estate interests, and also to a love interest with LVPD officer Hank Parker.

Joe O'Connor
Aug 24, 2009 Joe O'Connor rated it liked it
Very Good; Continuing character: Kat Colorado; former bartender turned investigator tracks a friend's ex-huisband to Vegas to get money; runs into a crooked real estate deal backed by a casino head.
Lynn Pribus
Aug 30, 2009 Lynn Pribus rated it really liked it
This was particularly fun to read, since I lived in Sacramento at the time and was in a critique group with Karen and had heard parts of it prior to publication. Fun to know the various places in the book.

Eliana
Apr 06, 2014 Eliana added it
The principle character in this series is Kat Colorado, a private detective in Sacramento, California.
Kat Colorado is a wise-cracking, thirty-something California bartender-turned-P.I., a curious cat with nine lives.
Suzanne
Oct 02, 2014 Suzanne rated it liked it
(view spoiler)
Chris
Sep 30, 2014 Chris rated it liked it
Good book, kept me interested. Situated mostly in a future vacation destination. The action was exciting but not gory, dirty, or sleepy which makes a book not as readable for me. Made me curious as to what the next one has in store.
Barb
Apr 03, 2013 Barb rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Mellissa
I felt as if I was reading a Kinsey Milholn novel. I cannot wait to read more of these.
  • Wolf in the Shadows
  • Bloody Waters (Lupe Solano, #1)
  • A Killing Gift (April Woo, #8)
  • Steel Guitar (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #4)
  • Murder Among Neighbors (Kate Austen, #1)
Karen J. Kijewski was born in Berkeley, California. Her father taught at the University of California, and she later attended the school, earning a BA and a Masters degree. Karen is a past president of the northern California chapter of the Mystery Writers of America. She has two daughters, and is currently living in Sacramento, California with her husband.
More about Karen Kijewski...

Kat Colorado (9 books)
  • Katapult (Kat Colorado, #2)
  • Kat's Cradle (Kat Colorado, #3)
  • Copy Kat (Kat Colorado, #4)
  • Wild Kat (Kat Colorado, #5)
  • Alley Kat Blues (Kat Colorado, #6)
  • Honky Tonk Kat (Kat Colorado, #7)
  • Kat Scratch Fever (Kat Colorado, #8)
  • Stray Kat Waltz (Kat Colorado, #9)

“Dear Charity,
Is anything worth fighting for?
Doubtful
Dear Doubtful,
Yes, many things: children, friendship, the future. Sour cream fudge rum cake with pecans. fight with your mind, your heart, your words. Violence is always a last resort.
Charity”