Start by marking “Katwalk (Kat Colorado, #1)” as Want to Read:
Katwalk (Kat Colorado, #1)

Katwalk

(Kat Colorado #1)

When private eye Kat Colorado accepts a routine assignment investigating one man's finances, she never dreams that she will become embroiled in the elaborate, illegal, and dangerous scheming of a madman.
Published September 1st 1990 by Avon Books (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Katwalk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Katwalk

Start your review of Katwalk (Kat Colorado, #1)
carol.
May 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommended to carol. by: Old-me. Way to go, Old-me.
Shelves: female-lead, mystery
Nostalgia Series #1

Way back in the mid-nineties, I tried reading every series with a female investigator I could lay my hands on. Kat Colorado is one of the series that I recall enjoying a great deal. When I reached the then-end, I was disappointed ended and hopeful Kijewski would resume. Meandering through the memory files recently, I decided to give this series another go, reading through the lens of a decade or two. After all, it won the Shamus and Anthony Awards for Best First Novel, right?

T
Bill
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: detective, mystery-us
Katwalk is the first book in Kat Colorado mystery series by Karen Kijewski. I bought this book by chance because the synopsis looked interesting. I'm glad that I took the chance as it was an enjoyable, interesting mystery.

Kat is a private investigator from California (she reminds me somewhat of Kinsey Milhone) who is asked by a friend to help with her divorce. She believes her ex-husband has hidden $200K from her so she won't get her share in the divorce settlement. As much as Kat doesn't like w
Barbara ★
PI Kat Colorado tries to unravel a real estate investment scam without getting killed in the process. She meets some wonderful people in Las Vegas, Joe and Betty and falls for Hank Parker. I'm darn sure we'll be seeing these characters again. Though I enjoyed the book, I can't honestly say that I was surprised at the ending. Typical adventure for a hard-headed female investigator: girl gets case, case becomes dangerous, boyfriend warns her off, girl rebels and gets captured and threatened, boyfr ...more
Agatha Lund
Aug 03, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, 2007, mystery
If it isn't already clear from the books I have listed here, I'm a sucker for a good mystery series with female protagonists; I picked the first Kat Colorado book up on the recommendation of the Novelist readers' advisory engine, and so far I'm enjoying Kat Colorado more than Kinsey Millhone (I gave up on Sue Grafton after H) but less than V.I. Warshawski and Stephanie Plum. Slightly more heavy than Evanovich but less than Paretsky, and a seemingly good mix of romance and mystery. Enjoyable enou ...more
aPriL does feral sometimes
Kat Colorado has already had an amazing 32 years and she is only getting started. Born to an alcoholic prostitute who did not want her or her accidental little sister, Cissy (Kat isn't certain her sister ever had an official name, but that is what her mother called the little girl - the mother was careless about naming both girls, not caring), she has become a private investigator after 8 years as a bartender, and 5 years as a investigative newspaper reporter. She picked up a Berkeley college ed ...more
Amy
Dec 31, 2008 rated it liked it
I read another Kat Colorado book, which was my first, and was pleasantly surprised. Now, having read this book and another one as well, I am still pleasantly surprised. It's also nice to be filling in some of the background info on the "regular" characters. Kat's adopted grandmother occasionally reminded me of a certain octogenarian in our household. :) I plan to read more of the Kat series when I need a little bit of this sort of reading.
Vikki
Feb 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes Janet Evanovich
I fell in love with these books from moment one. I found Kat Colorado to be a fun and quirky character and a less known predecessor to the now popular Stephanie Plum (series by Janet Evanovich). It was through my search to find similar authors to Kijewski that I stumbled upon Evanovich. Both women have a way of words and a way of making a story funny without being absurd.
LJ
KATWALK - EX
Kijewski, Karen - 1st in series

Sacramento investigator Kat Colorado jets to Las Vegas to check on a fortune owed to her friend Charity Collins by Charity's ex-husband, Sam. Kat proves that Sam's story of losing the money at the casinos is a fraud, but before she confronts him, he dies.

Excellent start to a new PI series.
Margaret
Aug 12, 2011 added it
Shelves: 2005
liked this book a little more than I thought I would - the Kat Colorado character is kind of a cross between Kinsey Mahone (Sue Grafton) and Stephanie Plum (Janet Evanovich). She's not quite as humorless as Kinsey but not as madcap as Stephanie either. I'd consider reading more books in the series.
E
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
2.5* I remember reading this in the 90s when detective fiction with female protagonists was much harder to find and that alone was a reason to give it a try. I liked it well enough but, although I read at least one other book in the series, I never felt addicted to pursuing the rest.
Joni
Aug 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Read this some time ago. I remember really enjoying Kijewski's work, read all she had out at the time, and then nothing. A shame. Strong characters, well plotted.
Betty
Apr 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It has been awhile since I have seen books by her. I have wandered what happened. I miss this series.
Sara
Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
JoAnn Betschart
Jul 12, 2017 rated it liked it
I read it because I lived in Sacramento and there was much hype about these books being set there. Well, most of this takes place in Las Vegas. Kat Colorado is supposedly a former investigative reporter at The Sacramento Bee who becomes a private investigator (maybe she took a buyout) and ... I can't remember the rest of the plot. Never mind.
Devorah Fox
Jul 06, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a book club selection. I appreciated the author's introduction of a feisty female sleuth and will check out her further adventures. I liked the first half of the book better than the second.
1996 review

Another Kat Colorado mystery--the first one. I have been re-reading this series. It's fun and I like the detective--brash, tough, but soft-hearted and sensitive inside.

2019 note: This author stopped writing this series too soon!
Ray Pettiford
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I had doubts that I would like this author, but I was pleasantly surprised.
Yalonda
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I truly liked this book! It is a shame that she hasn't produced anything new in years but I can enjoy the other 8 books :-)
Katilyn
Aug 26, 2017 rated it liked it
A fun, light, easy read. The solution the the mystery wasn't terribly obvious either. The story doesn't exactly keep you guessing but it does keep you interested. I would read more from this author.
William Fuller
Jan 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Surprised myself: I liked it! The tone began to bug me about halfway through, but I was won over by the end. Am actually considering reading more Kat.
Jack Hastings
Jan 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Some issues with plot construction and character development but an overall entertaining and quick read. Kat's homebase is Sacramento which is kind of cool.
Sheila
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this mystery. It had a good mix of mystery and danger to keep me interested. I will enjoy this series!
Susan Cabaniss
Jan 08, 2019 rated it liked it
I cannot remember this book, but I remember loving the series.
Jack Heath
Oct 15, 2019 marked it as to-read
Synopsis: when PI Kat Colorado accepts an assignment investigating a man's finances, she becomes embroiled in the scheming of a madman.
Linda Dezenski
Jul 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Kat reminds me of Lindsey Milhone, and I mean that as a compliment. I enjoyed its quick pace. Kat is stubborn and fearless.
Antof9
Jan 28, 2009 rated it liked it
(This journal entry written on the plane to Charleston, so the tenses might be confusing!)

Here are some notes I wrote on the plane while reading:

I liked the tone of this author's writing. She's a little bit sassy, a little tongue-in-cheek, and often funny, while still saying real things about friendship and relationships, too. When Kat's friend Charity asks her to take on a job, Kat thinks about how much she hates working for friends. Among other things, it's "messy." I thought about it as I dro
Maureen DeLuca
May 01, 2016 rated it liked it
This is the first in the Kat Colorado series- first book came out in 1989- so YES, it is a bit dated- but I have to say this , if you are looking for a 'fluffy sorta kinda book' but not one of the cozy mysteries where the cat or dog or bird or bagel maker solves the murders, this may be a good choice for you. I just started reading the Sue Grafton series- and I only just finished 'D' is for deadbeat- (1987) and I also just finished Janet Evanovich "four to score " (1998) And yes, this is the FIR ...more
Kristine
Sep 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
This book was recommended to me because I am a fan of Sue Grafton and her Kinsey character. I did find myself comparing the two often and even went to my home library to check the copywrite date of A is for Alibi so I could be sure who started first. Both characters are single female Private eyes, but they are very different. I did like Kat as well as the other characters in this story and I found the book to be a very easy read. The story line did make sence and I do appreciate that in a myste ...more
Mary Sue
Feb 26, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Mary Sue by: library book club
Kate(Kat)Colorado is hired by her firend to find out where sooon to be Ex has hidden a bunch of money. Kat follows the money from Sacramento to Las Vegas. At the airport she bumps into an old childhgood friend who in reality is a hit-man. In the course of the investigation several people end up dead, some of them innocent by-standers, and Kat geta a broken arm, cracked ribs and lots of bruisers.Kat is a tough fighter but I wonder how she made the mental leaps she did in the course of the investi ...more
Sue
May 25, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Mystery lovers, private-eye readers
Recommended to Sue by: Moi
Shelves: comedy, mystery
This is a fun female private-eye book to read! I bought this in the 80's and held on to it, waiting for the right mood to strike me to read it and it's now. If you liked Janet Evanovich books I think you will enjoy this! Great lead character who is a bit self deprecating - you will find yourself chuckling out loud while reading this book ;)
EXCELLENT READ! One you get into it the story really starts rolling. Cleverly written and realistic to a point - I stayed up till 1am to finish reading this

• Edwin of the Iron Shoes (Sharon McCone #1)
  • Bless Her Dead Little Heart (Southern Ladies Mystery #1)
  • Indemnity Only (V.I. Warshawski, #1)
  • Dim Sum of All Fears (A Noodle Shop Mystery, #2)
  • A View to Die For (To Die For series, #1)
  • Coconut Layer Cake Murder (Hannah Swensen #25)
  • Watch Me Die
  • Die Buying (A Mall Cop Mystery, #1)
  • Death by Dumpling (A Noodle Shop Mystery, #1)
  • Who Slays the Wicked (Sebastian St. Cyr, #14)
  • Dead Irish (Dismas Hardy, #1)
  • 33 Days to Greater Glory: A Total Consecration to the Father through Jesus Based on the Gospel of John
  • What Happens at Mass
  • Love's Enduring Promise (Love Comes Softly, #2)
  • A Matter of Chance
  • Consoling the Heart of Jesus: A Do-It-Yourself Retreat- Inspired by the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius
  • 33 Days to Morning Glory
  • 33 Days to Merciful Love: A Do-It-Yourself Retreat in Preparation for Divine Mercy Consecration
Karen J. Kijewski was born in Berkeley, California. Her father taught at the University of California, and she later attended the school, earning a BA and a Masters degree. Karen is a past president of the northern California chapter of the Mystery Writers of America. She has two daughters, and is currently living in Sacramento, California with her husband.

Kat Colorado (9 books)
  • Katapult (Kat Colorado, #2)
  • Kat's Cradle (Kat Colorado, #3)
  • Copy Kat (Kat Colorado, #4)
  • Wild Kat (Kat Colorado, #5)
  • Alley Kat Blues (Kat Colorado, #6)
  • Honky Tonk Kat (Kat Colorado, #7)
  • Kat Scratch Fever (Kat Colorado, #8)
  • Stray Kat Waltz (Kat Colorado, #9)