Start by marking “Kat's Cradle (Kat Colorado, #3)” as Want to Read:
Kat's Cradle (Kat Colorado, #3)

Kat's Cradle

(Kat Colorado #3)

She's a hard-boiled Sacramento P.I. with a soft spot for the unlucky, the unloved, and one special cop named Hank. Her name is Kat Colorado and in  her line of business curiosity can be more than an occupational hazard -- it can be  murder.

She said her name was Paige Morrell and she came to Kat Colorado hoping to untangle the twisted mystery of her past. She was a twenty-o
Published November 1st 1992 by Crimeline (first published February 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Kat's Cradle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kat's Cradle

Start your review of Kat's Cradle (Kat Colorado, #3)
Glen
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
A mystery from the 1980's that seems more dated than many written 100 years earlier.

Baby boomer female private eye gets hired to look into the past of a young woman so that she can inherit a big mansion on a delta island on the Sacramento River. It doesn't turn out the way either of them hoped.

Somebody watched The Big Chill way too many times.

Bill
May 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Kat's Cradle by Karen Kijewski is the third book in her Kat Colorado mystery series. If you haven't yet tried the series, 9 books in total, Kat is basically Kinsey Milhone, a private eye working out of California. Kijewski wrote the nine books between 1989 and 1998 and then seemed to disappear. I've read the first 3 books so far and enjoyed them all.

Kat is hired by Paige Morrell to find out about her family, especially her mother and father. She grew up with her grandmother, since deceased, an e
aPriL does feral sometimes
'Kat's Cradle' is almost impossible to put down! Every time I thought I had the mystery figured out, new twists and turns popped up that turned everything inside out! I enjoyed reading this one very much.

Kat Colorado undergoes horrendous personal tests and deep traumas which will change everything. There is something peculiar going on with everyone in the book, but unfortunately for Kat, she uncovers the terrible secrets too late to prevent multiple disasters. There is a huge crowd of messed up
Wendy
Jan 19, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: mystery lovers, sue grafton fans
Recommended to Wendy by: my mom
Shelves: 2008, mystery, fiction
Marcia
May 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I think this series is so good that I am re-reading it. I do not agree that Kat Colorado is not a "hard-boiled" detective. She does keep her emotions hidden and reluctantly becomes involved personally with others. The plot is complicated with people claiming they are someone else. Kat figures out who is who, which explains the motivations for the murders. The Sacramento area is well described. Kat grows in understanding her own actions and feelings in each novel.
Edna P
Oct 27, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
I tried to get into this book but it was just not working for me. I tried this book because I loved Sue Grafton's series and was excited to finda series similar to that but this just did not work out.
Chris, RN
Jul 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Not as enjoyable, or as intriguing as some of author's other works
Sheila
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a good mystery with lots of twists and turns. This is the third Kat Colorado book I've read and really do enjoy the series!
LJ
KAT'S CRADLE - VG
Kijewski, Karen - 3rd in series

Kat agrees to help presumed orphan Paige Morrell find out about her parents now that her grandmother Florence, who refused to discuss them, has died. Little by little, Kat peels away layers of the past, discovering that Paige's mother, one of twin daughters mistreated by Florence, may still be alive. Enhancing the story and complicating Kat's life as she travels to Lake Tahoe, Calif., and to Omaha are her lover Hank, her "self-appointed grandmother
Diana
Mar 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Kat Colorado works as a PI in Sacramento. A young lady hires her to find out who her parents. She was raised by an unloving grandmother who only told her parents died young.
At the beginning of each chapter, there is a quote. Some are only listing of statistics about some odd thing or another. The last chapter's quote is, "Hopes and dreams, nightmares and fears,reality, it gets tangled up. That's how life is."
All I can say about this book is, yes, things get tangled up.
Rachel N.
Nov 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Kat Colorado is hired by Paige Morrell to find her mothers death certificate. Paige was raised by her grandmother and she can't inherit the family farm and orchard until it's proved that her mother is dead. As Kat investigates she uncovers a web of family secrets and lies. This is the third book in the series and i haven't read the other two. Kat makes some questionable choices which might be better understood if I had read the previous books.
Amy
Jan 02, 2009 rated it liked it
I'm liking this series of mysteries. I like the recurring characters, the relationships they build and the plots they get involved in. This was no exception. A nice break from heavier, more demanding books. Some day I should tackle Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle. And someday, I should see if I still remember how to do the cat's cradle string game.
Kristine
Dec 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
I have now read a few books in this series and so far I have really enjoyed them. However, this one just didn't seem to flow as easily as the others. Most of the main characters are involved in this book, but they just seemed a little flat this time. I will keep reading on and hope the next book reverts back to her original style.
Claudia
Jun 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Two and one half stars. First, there was a lot of back story and the author tried to bring a new reader up to speed, but it didn't work for me. Second, even though the initial mystery was interesting, the author seemed to feel obligated to create several plot twists and, by the end of the book, it was simply too much.
Eliana
Apr 06, 2014 added it
The principle character in this series is Kat Colorado, a private detective in Sacramento, California.
Kat Colorado is a wise-cracking, thirty-something California bartender-turned-P.I., a curious cat with nine lives.
Ed
Oct 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
#3 in the Kat Colorado series.

Sacramento PI Kat Colorado - is hired by Paige Morrell to find out about her parents. She was told they were killed when she was an infant. The truth reveals a manipulative grandmother, blackmail, confused identities, fraud and multiple murders.
Dee
May 14, 2010 rated it liked it
Another Kat Colorado Mystery.

I was surprised about the ending. Never guessed.

Leorah
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Entertaining story.
Karen
Mar 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Karen Kijewski is a fun read. Her character is Kat Colorado, a bartender turned P.I., who loves to solve the mysteries she gets involved with throughout her life.
Joe O'Connor
Aug 24, 2009 rated it liked it
Very Good; Continuing character: Kat Colorado; investigator looks into a sordid family history to discover who inherits a fortune.
Betty
Aug 21, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: american, crime
Having read book #3 in the series (I don't have #2), I'm not inclined to read the rest that I have on my shelves. I find the characters are caricatures.
Cheri
May 23, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: readandstillown
Not as good as the first two in the series.
Brett
Apr 14, 2008 added it
Mystery
Rebecca
Jan 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Pretty enjoyable mystery. This is the third one I've read, and it mostly reminds me of Sue Grafton's books. The ending is a bit convoluted, but still enjoyable.
Margaret Von Bevern
Shannon
Dec 20, 2009
Meave
Jan 03, 2011

• A Killing in Antiques (Lucy St. Elmo Antiques, #1)
  • Burn Marks (V.I. Warshawski, #6)
  • Live to Tell (Detective D.D. Warren, #4)
  • Sticks & Scones (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #10)
  • The English Breakfast Murder (A Tea Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Love You Now (Love Hurts, #2)
  • Lowcountry Boondoggle (Liz Talbot Mystery #9)
  • C is for Corpse  (Kinsey Millhone, #3)
  • The Museum of Desire (Alex Delaware, #35)
  • The Ember Stone (The Last Firehawk, #1)
  • The Crystal Caverns (The Last Firehawk #2)
  • Recipe for a Happy Life
  • The Price Of Scandal (Bluewater Billionaires)
  • Stealing Home (The Sweet Magnolias #1)
  • The Boss Who Stole Christmas (Reindeer Falls, #1)
  • Falling
  • Vanity Fare
  • Tightrope: Americans Reaching for Hope
Karen J. Kijewski was born in Berkeley, California. Her father taught at the University of California, and she later attended the school, earning a BA and a Masters degree. Karen is a past president of the northern California chapter of the Mystery Writers of America. She has two daughters, and is currently living in Sacramento, California with her husband.

Kat Colorado (9 books)
  • Katwalk (Kat Colorado, #1)
  • Katapult (Kat Colorado, #2)
  • Copy Kat (Kat Colorado, #4)
  • Wild Kat (Kat Colorado, #5)
  • Alley Kat Blues (Kat Colorado, #6)
  • Honky Tonk Kat (Kat Colorado, #7)
  • Kat Scratch Fever (Kat Colorado, #8)
  • Stray Kat Waltz (Kat Colorado, #9)