Start by marking “Rivales (Luxe, #2)” as Want to Read:
Rivales (Luxe, #2)

Rivales (Luxe #2)

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  35,564 Ratings  ·  1,816 Reviews
Tras la desaparición de Elizabeth Holland, Manhattan intenta recuperar poco a poco la normalidad. El evento más esperado de la temporada de invierno está a punto de celebrarse en el Metropolitan: la reaparición en sociedad de Henry Schoonmaker, que ya ha dado lugar a las conjeturas y los rumores más dispares y perversos. Lo que parece claro es que en este esperadísimo acon ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 357 pages
Published July 15th 2011 by DeBolsillo (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Rivales, please sign up.
Nicole Chapman Nikita - if it's not too late, please read the 1st one in the series! You're going to be missing out if you don't!

Heather
Dec 16, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Gossip Girl and Soap Opera fans
Shelves: 2009
Liv.
Nov 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mm..I'm really torn with this book.

Okay, this book was good. Really good. Which is shocking because I found the first one to be a tad bit boring. I don't know why, but this one is SO MUCH BETTER! Maybe it is because the author didn't have explain too much and could just dive right into all the scandals of 1899 Manhattan. Ah, boy, did I eat it up. Each character's story-line was really interesting and each had their own distinct voice. It was just...really fantastic.

BUT. Oh yes, the but. I'm sure
Elizabeth
I am stunned.

I have a rule about never moving on in a series if I rate the first book 3 or less stars but I have broken that rule and I'm so glad I did. Rumors is definitely better than Luxe. It's dark, shocking, and sickeningly delicious. If you're not sure about moving on in the series I'm here to tell you to go for it. But it's not for the faint of heart - not only is there not a happy ending, but it's all around worst case scenario for everyone.

The characters - augh! I loathe them and yet am
Jay G
Jun 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Want to see more bookish things from me? Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

The pacing of this book was much better than the first. I liked the scandal and gossip. The writing style is easy to read and flows nicely. Definitely better than the 1st book, but nothing special. The ending pissed me off and I am NOT HAPPY with the developments... I'm going to read the next in the series so that I can find out what happens next.
Anya
Mar 15, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Man, this book was painful to read. I thought I would scream if I had to read about Diana's "heart-shaped face" one more time. The author seems to think every noun must always be paired with a lavish adjective. And she could be way too descriptive when it came to clothing and luxury items. Focus more on your characters and less on their clothing. As for the characters, I can't say I was particularly enamored with any of them. Diana, who seemed to fit the Unconventional Independent Girl mold in t ...more
Haleh
Dec 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
amazingly wonderfully fantastically gooood!

WARNING: If you plan to read the first one (The Luxe) you might not want to read this because it gives away info from the end of the first book. just fyi.

Manhattan, 1899. The drama amongst the most admired people in Manhattan’s social scene continues in this gripping sequel, Rumors, by Anna Godbersen. I chose to read this book because I read the first one, recommended by my sisters, and had to know what was going to happen next. This book is filled with
Traci
Sep 06, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teens who like the Gossip Girl or Clique books
While Ms. Godberson won't be winning any awards for her writing soon- (how many times can anger or rage "burn down the back of her throat" weird- sounds like reflux to me. When she describes the men at the ball with their heads looking like "soft boiled eggs" above their collars. Weird again.) She can produce a good soap opera-type book. The plot was interesting enough that I didn't even realize that I was 250+ pages into the book. I find the most interesting part for me is the whole Diana, Peno ...more
Jessica
This was another interesting installment in the series. The stakes are getting higher for some of the characters, and I'm interested to see how the events at the end will play out in the next book.
Vendea
Další z mých sérií, kde jsem jedničku četla v 2012. Hahaha. Naštěstí jsem si dělala poznámky, takže jsem se v Intrikách zorientovala celkem rychle. A jo, přesně tohle mi chybělo. Gossip Girl z přelomu 19. a 20. století z New Yorku. Slečny tu dokážou být pěkné mrchy a zlatokopky. Všechny ty intriky mě moc bavily a jsem zvědavá na další díly... Jen teda...co ten konec? OMG... A jsem tým Penelopa!

4/5*

English review:

I have read first book of this series, Luxe, back in 2012 and never continuned with
Sarah Amelia
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I personally liked Rumors a bit more than The Luxe, although The Luxe was very good. The end though! My heart still hurts!
Teresa in Ohio
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-read
With out taking a breath, Rumors begins right where Luxe ended. Elizabeth is presumed dead after a horrible carriage accident. Her sister Diana is still pining for Henry. Penelope is still plotting and scheming her way to the top of high society.

This book is a quick read with plenty of action, blackmail and unexpected mischief going on behind closed doors.

The Hollands are in mourning for Elizabeth so the mother takes to her bed in a grief related illness. This leaves Diana to fend for herself
Heather
Disappointing

This book was fantastic till the very end. The author completely crushed the book. Elizabeth pretty much becomes a low life pushover. The author apparently wanted to end this book in multiple tragedies.
Arya *Bibliomaniac!* Fraser Stark
Turtles move faster and are more entertaining than this book.

description

Ok, gonna be honest, I didn't actually finish the book. I just couldn't, it was that bad.

First off, it is way too repetitive. Guess how many times a girl was described with a heart shaped head. Go on, take a guess.

20.

It was used as a description 20 FREAKING TIMES.

Which is kind of unfortunate, because all I could imagine was this....

description

Oh but let's not forget the males. Do *all* the men have "broad cheeks, sharp nose and brows"? Becaus
Angie
Well, everyone's in love with the one person they can't have and no one seems to be able to communicate their woe to anyone who could help. Must be Tuesday in Luxeland. Rumors is the second volume in the Luxe series and, as the deep red dress and haughty gaze of the cover model suggest, things are just getting worse and worse for our crew of Manhattan debutantes/bachelors/scheming underlings. I checked this copy out from the library and the girl at the checkout desk smiled knowingly and said, "I ...more
♡Elizabeth
Me gustó la historia pero me pareció muy lenta, con demasiada descripción , por ejemplo cada vez que salían describían el paisaje o cada vez que iban a una fiesta describían como iban vestidos, sé que eso enriquece la historia y nos dá un a imagen más completa pero creo que fué demasiado. También creo que está de más que aclaren cosas que ya sabemos como situaciones pasadas que ya leímos y sabemos y te las vuelven a repetir que aunque traten de aclarar me parece que solo alarga la historia y me ...more
B.A. Wilson
Mar 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, historical
This is a good second book, as it definitely increases the scandal and drama, which is what makes the series work.

I keep hoping the characters will grow a bit deeper and become more three dimensional. Sometimes, they feel more like caricatures of high society types, rather than like real people with complex emotions and hopes. There are hints of what ticks beneath the surface of every girl, but the story never digs down deep inside of those moments. Part of that is the light, airy nature of the
Cassie
May 01, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*cries* The ending! Argh! I'm torn between wanting the next book desperatly and wanting to pretend I never read the last few chapters......... I was actually near tears at the end, and I never cry at books. Granted, I didn't cry at this end either, but still. I was as close as I ever get.

More coherent review coming someday when I get over the shock of this ending.
paula moreira❥
Keeps getting better...
MarinaLawliett
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Otro cinco estrellas nada objetivo. Lo siento pero esta saga me puede.
Merary
"5 stars? 5 FUCKING STARS, MERARY?!" you might ask. And I'll say, "HELL TO THE MOTHERFUCKING YEAH!! YOU BEST BELIEVE THAT I RATED THIS BOOK 5 MARVELOUS STARS!!"
So, why I am rating this book so high? Because the train-wreck events these books carry are so entertaining!

First off, Rumors was so much better than its predecessor. While The Luxe is catty and scandalous, it was also a little frigid and predictable. Now Rumors is another story. While it preserves its dramatic image, its events are so u
Amy • A Magical World of Words
A Magical World Of Words

I love Rumours . It's just beautiful.

Like the first book, the atmosphere was the best thing about this book; you can't help getting swept away into the glamorous, forbidden world of New York society, and watching the fancy balls and stolen kisses as though you're really there and spying on the characters yourselves. It's a delicious social scene; captivating and colourful and luscious.
The descriptions of the gowns the girls wore were mouth-watering. I loved the scenes G
Jessica
Apr 17, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: made-me-cry
It was a great book. Not as good as the first one, because by the time it came out, I had forgotten some of the characters. The downside is that the ending was terrible. Terrible, terrible, terrible. Don't get me wrong, it was well written, and I suppose it was realistic since if it didn't happen we wouldn't really get to see one of the main characters at all anymore, because she would've been gone. But it was just awful. I don't want to say what happened, but I absolutly hated it. I started cry ...more
Holly
Jul 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical Fiction Fans
I found Rumors to be extremely enjoyable. It brought back many of our main characters from The Luxe and grew with them. I love historical fiction books and this definitely satisfies my thirst for a while. Set in Manhattan in 1899, Rumors is about, well, rumors, canniving old friends, and greed. As someone else mentioned, Rumors is a bit like a soap opera and quite petty at times. Some of the characters grate on my nerves at times when I don't think they are supposed to. Anna Godbersen writes her ...more
Elizabeth
Apr 29, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Susan
Jul 11, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers who like: surprises/unexpected twists/gossip/drama
After reading Rumors, I finally understood what was lacking in the Luxe series. The whole series is just too fast-paced (despite each book having like 450 pages). There are some particular moments that could have been more detailed or savored, especially in this book. (Like what about the time when Elizabeth spent at California with Will? What about the struggles that Elizabeth had to do to try to meet her true love?)

I've realized now that the Luxe series aren't based only one particular charac
Daphne
I liked the first book in this series more than I expected, but this second one has me a little disappointed. It's still the same sort of story, drama and backstabbing and not too much substance, but I felt like in The Luxe at least a lot happened, in this one that didn't really seem to be the case until the end. But even the ending was really abrupt and not very satisfying, it didn't feel like a complete story, which the first book did manage to do.

(view spoiler)
Lulufrances
OH MY GOSH.
I was fully prepared to write a review along the lines of "typical second installment with nothing unforeseen happening" but the last twenty-something leave me a bit dazed and unable to write just that.
Yes, it is a typical second installment and thus a bit slower than book one...but boy.
Things happen!
Albeit in the last few chapters but I'm still slightly taken aback...

While I'm still a bit freaked out, let me leave you with this: I really want to have the wardrobes these girls have
Anna Motteler
Sep 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this one a lot more than I loved the first one. The ending to this one made me want to launch the book across the room but if I would've done that, I probably would have hit the teacher and gotten in trouble. But anyway, I almost cried at the ending of this book & I'm scared to read the third one because I was so happy throughout this book UNTIL THE END.

But I know I'm going to read the third one anyway... aha.
Charlie
Rumors (Luxe, #2) by Anna Godbersen

It's kind of sad how these books don't make me feel anything, no matter what terrible evens take place. But these books are addictive. Kind of a guilty pleasure. The situations and dynamics between all of these characters changed a lot in this book and I need to know how this will play out. I'm actually really enjoying this series so far. Onto the next one!
Lna
Feb 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
3,5 en realidad.
Sigue la estela del 1º libro, aunque con mayor fuerza ahora que los personajes ya se nos presentaron con todo su esplendor y apariencias.
Continúan las idas y venidas de sus 4 protagonistas, con nuevos personajes, algún que otro giro (aunque en conjunto es una novela pausada), escarceos, envidias y tejemanejes de la época, sobre todo en el último tercio del libro, donde deja todo muy interesante para su siguiente continuación.
¡¡¡TRAIGAN ESTE LIBRO A ARGENTINA, POR EL AMOR DE DIOS!!! 1 2 Nov 04, 2014 03:38PM
Crazy for Young A...: Rumors (Luxe #2) by Anna Godbersen → Start Date: October 24, 2013 46 93 Oct 28, 2013 05:37AM
POTC Anyone? 3 74 Jan 22, 2009 12:57PM
  • Ingenue (Flappers, #2)
  • Betraying Season (Leland Sisters, #2)
  • The Season
  • Nobody's Prize (Nobody's Princess, #2)
  • The Sweet Far Thing (Gemma Doyle, #3)
  • A Company of Swans
  • Revelation (Private, #8)
  • The King's Rose
  • Ophelia
  • Unforgettable (It Girl, #4)
  • Cleopatra's Moon
  • In the Shadow of the Lamp
  • In the Belly of the Bloodhound: Being an Account of a Particularly Peculiar Adventure in the Life of Jacky Faber (Bloody Jack, #4)
  • The Queen's Soprano
  • Ten Cents a Dance
Anna Godbersen was born in Berkeley, California, and educated at Barnard College. She currently lives in Brooklyn with her husband.
More about Anna Godbersen

Luxe (4 books)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
  • Envy (Luxe, #3)
  • Splendor (Luxe, #4)

Young Adult Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Night Divided
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
  • The Lotterys Plus One
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Chemistry Lessons
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • My Best Friend's Exorcism
  • Liars, Inc.
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Twilight / Life and Death (Twilight, #1, 1.75)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Siege and Storm (The Grisha, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Thousandth Floor (The Thousandth Floor, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Ruin and Rising (The Grisha, #3)
  • A Long Walk to Water: Based on a True Story
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Girl Who Drank the Moon
    $15.95 $1.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • I Hate Everyone But You
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Love and Other Unknown Variables
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Cruelty
    $7.80 $2.99
“So this was betrayal. It was like being left alone in the desert at dusk without water or warmth. It left your mouth dry and will broken. It sapped your tears and made you hollow.” 195 likes
“Diana knew it wouldn't be right, but then she told herself that things only looked wrong when there was someone to see you.” 134 likes