Start by marking “The Butcher of Anderson Station (The Expanse, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Butcher of Anderson Station (The Expanse, #0.5)

The Butcher of Anderson Station

(The Expanse 0.5)

A new story set in the world of The Expanse. One day, Colonel Fred Johnson will be hailed as a hero to the system. One day, he will meet a desperate man in possession of a stolen spaceship and a deadly secret and extend a hand of friendship. But long before he became the leader of the Outer Planets Alliance, Fred Johnson had a very different name. The Butcher of Anderson S ...more
Published October 17th 2011 by Hachette Book Group

To ask other readers questions about The Butcher of Anderson Station, please sign up.
Joe Williams Having read Leviathan Wakes, I don't get the feeling I've missed anything starting there. This seems purely supplementary.

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
SO. It's been obvious from our first introduction in LEVIATHAN WAKES that Fred Johnson, the butcher of Anderson Station, isn't a stone cold killer . . . You don't walk away from the military you've served your whole life when following orders led to the slaughter of "terrorists" if you've got an empty chest cavity.

If you've watched THE EXPANSE, then you already know this story, what really happened that day, why the Belters of Anderson Station led a revolt.

It is heartbreaking. But even if you
David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party
FULL REVIEW TO COME

Just finished another Accountant Buddy Read with The Amazing Kayla! I loved this novella even more than The Churn, which I also gave 5 stars to! "The Expanse" already has the potential of becoming one of my favorite series just from how much I enjoyed these two novellas. I can't wait to get the main books of the series off my TBR shelf and into my currently reading piles now!
Scott  Hitchcock
Abraham (Corey) is just such an amazing story teller. Being able to tell such a complete and compelling story in such as short work is amazing. He as usual makes you feel the characters issue so vividly.

The three prequel novellas completed....bring on the main event.
Bradley
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Definitely a must for any Expanse fan, especially for those who are fans of Fred. I am. I think he's pretty damn cool.

But even for completionists, it's worth it. Why? Because Fred is a conflicted character for also being a relatively steadfast and rational friend to adventurers in need. His story may not be the most epic or the most emotional of the bunch, but for me, he has a certain mystique. :)

Also, this short story is REALLY short. :)
Alejandro
Jun 25, 2013 rated it liked it
I knew about this prequel story even before of reading "Leviathan Wakes", however, I decided to read before the actual first book on the series since I was afraid that in just 40 pages, it won't be possible to establish the literature universe of the series to really get this short story.

I think that I chose the right decision. It was a good introductory story to the character of Fred Johnson, who is a supportive but key character in the development of the story in "Leviathan Wakes". Even you ge
Trish
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another background story for one of the characters in the Expanse novels. This time, it's about Fred Johnson, now leader of the OPA (Outer Planets Alliance).

Like Amos, Fred originally comes from Earth. Unlike Amos, Fred even served in the UN Navy and made a name for himself as "The Hero of Anderson Station". However, it's not like he's proud of it. Because his other nickname is "The Butcher of Anderson Station". It all depends on your point fo view, which might hinge on how much insider informat
Adam
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have low expectations for novellas because I have a hard time connecting with the story in such a small amount of pages, and don't ever expect to go higher than a 4 star rating. The Butcher of Anderson Station skirts that problem since it is about a character and an event that were introduced in Leviathan Wakes, so we go into it already familiar with what's going on. It's a satisfying narrative that reads just like an extension of the previous book and fills in an important character who deser ...more
Diana Stormblessed
Jun 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: series, sci-fi, 2018-read
Kind of sad. But too short to make any lasting impression.
Ashley
Mar 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been meaning to read this ever since I read the first book several years ago. That's where we're first introduced to Fred Johnson, leader of the OPA, who was once (and still is) known through the solar system as the Butcher of Anderson Station. This short story elaborates on the brief hints of how he got that name that we got in Leviathan Wakes, and also shows how Fred got involved with the OPA to boot. More importantly, it doesn't just show us how he got that name, but what he did with it, ...more
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
Expanse fans have all heard of Fred Johnson's pseudonym, and this novella offers a chance to learn more about how he earned the title. You can see how events in this novella shaped Fred's actions throughout the series, which makes it worth reading in it's own right. Although I enjoyed it, and in fact was looking forward to it most out of all the novellas, it's also the one I came away with the least from. It's a solid "I liked it" rating, but not the one I'd hand to you if you were only going to ...more
Trevor
Nov 13, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5/5

A quick story detailing Fred Johnson's past and the events that gave him the moniker of "The Butcher of Anderson Station"

I did feel like I already knew most of what was going to happen from conversations in Leviathan Wakes, so there were no major revelations. Still, gaining insight into what motivates Fred was pretty neat.
Jason
Dec 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016, e-books
4 Stars

I am a huge fan of the Expanse series and decided now would be a great time to read the tiny novellas. The Butcher of Anderson Station is an important back about the big Boss Fred. Can't say much more without spoilers but it is worth a read. A cool insight piece into Fred's past.

The Expanse series is one of my very favorite ongoing series today.

The Expanse is now an awesome show on Syfy and it has already been renewed for a second season.
Julie
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tie-ins, space
Oh, Fred. ♥
Alex Ristea
Aug 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you've been wondering if James S.A. Corey can write short fiction, wonder no longer.

(Actually, you shouldn't be wondering that at all. The Churn: An Expanse Novella is one of the best I've ever read; see my review.)

They've always been good at putting yourself in a character's shoes, where there is no right and wrong. Each POV has their own motivations you can understand, if not outright agree with.

Here we see the battle of Anderson station from a different perspective, and it throws what you
Ron
A well-conceived and well-written short story which apparently sets up a great series. This is a good way to set the hook: a self-contained story which introduces the setting and perhaps the characters of the greater tale. The reader know what she is, and isn’t, getting.

“Centuries of warfare in the electronic age …”

That said it reads as if it takes place late in this century, not two hundred years or more into the future. The weapons are current or under development. The technology and electroni
AndrewP
As the TV series gave a look into how Fred became known as 'the butcher' I thought I would read this short to fill in the blanks. Turns out there was more to this incident behind the scenes than covered by the episode in the TV series.
Very short so well worth reading somewhere after the middle of Book 1.
Dale Pearl
A short story prequel if you will to the expanse series. Provides some significant backdrop to the storyline that was actually covered in the TV series. Makes Fred less of an ass-hat and more down to earth human like the rest of us.
Silvana
If you're curious on why Fred aka the titular character became what he was in Leviathan Wakes etc, then you should read this story.
Tudor Vlad
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
This I also read last year, so I don't have much to add, maybe just that I remember this making me hope to see more Dawes in Babylon's Ashes...which happened (I'll take credit for that).
C.T. Phipps
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite reads from the Expanse series and, honestly, closer to what I want from the series than the craziness which has followed recently. The story is about how Fred Johnson, Colonel of the UNN, has been going to Belter bars in order to pick a fight. This despite the fact he is the titular "Butcher of Anderson Station" and this will probably get him killed. Anderson Dawes, leader of the OPA, kidnaps him and then tries to find out what really happened that day. The story is complex, f ...more
Emily

Ha! That only took about 30 minutes to read, but I’m counting it. Do you hear me, Goodreads challenge? I’m counting it! I have bested you again!

But I joke.

But I count it.

Anyway, this short story was a decent backstory for Fred, although I’m pretty sure the TV show has revealed anything that would have been a big surprise here. I enjoyed seeing Anderson Dawes through Fred’s eyes for the first time, and the description of his remote control of the battle was interesting. I always like t
César Bustíos
“They made me a butcher.”

True that.

This is not just the story of how he became The Butcher, it's also the story of how the OPA recruited him after that. There's no much to say without spoiling the whole thing. This is what really happened back then. A must-read for The Expanse fans.

James
Nov 30, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the Expanse series
Orbit Short Fiction seem to be making something of a success of the short-story form. This is the second one I've read - the first being Mira Grant's Countdown - and while neither of them are breaking exciting new literary ground they are providing an enjoyable set of prequels and spin-off stories from novel-length works or series. Like Countdown, this one too is a prequel - providing some back-story for one of the characters from Leviathan Wakes , Colonel Fred Johnson, the Butcher of Anderso ...more
Miquel Codony
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
No añade nada a lo que ya explica Leviathan Wakes (o al que muestra la serie).
Aaron
Jul 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
A short story from the Expanse series detailing Fred Johnson's first up close and personal encounter with the Outer Planets Alliance (which he would go on to lead), while also showing in flashback his experience as a Colonel in the United Nations Marine Corps and the military action that earned him the story's title. It may be good as a standalone story, but it's especially enlightening after reading Leviathan Wakes and wanting to know more about the motives of this character.
Quintin Zimmermann
Sep 23, 2017 rated it liked it
For the men and women on the ground, in war there are no winners and losers - only victims and victims...

After the events of Anderson Station, Colonel Frederick Lucius Johnston, the poster boy for disproportional response, reaches a fork in the road - nihilism or redemption...
Kevin Kelsey
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
Daniel
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesantna pricica o dogadjaju o kom se puno prica u prvoj knjizi. Sada najzad dobijamo malo detalja o tom tragiconm (i kako ispada nepotrebnom) dogadjaju.

Za ljubitelje serijala obavezno stivo.
daisy
Apr 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Tentative three stars.

Nothing new, really. There's a tiny bit more backstory for Fred, and why he ends up where he does, but it's stuff you've seen before in Leviathan Wakes and the other novels in the series.
Roland of Gilead
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Some nice background information on good ol' Fred. It wasn't as lengthy as I would have liked but it definitely answered some important questions about his past.
  • Edge of Infinity
  • After the Coup (Old Man's War, #4.5)
  • Stormtroopers: Beyond the Armor (Star Wars)
  • The Water That Falls on You from Nowhere
  • The Lady Astronaut of Mars

The Expanse (9 books)
  • Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse, #1)
  • Caliban's War (The Expanse, #2)
  • Abaddon's Gate (The Expanse, #3)
  • Cibola Burn (The Expanse, #4)
  • Nemesis Games (The Expanse, #5)
  • Babylon's Ashes (The Expanse, #6)
  • Persepolis Rising (The Expanse, #7)
  • Tiamat's Wrath (The Expanse, #8)
  • Untitled (The Expanse, #9)
“Fred’s vacuum-rated armor protected him from the smell of viscera, but it reported it to him as a slight increase in atmospheric methane levels. The stench of death reduced to a data point.” 1 likes
“Every now and then a green dot shifted to yellow. A soldier down, their armored suits detecting the injuries or death that rendered them combat ineffective. Combat ineffective. Such a nice euphemism for one of his kids bleeding out.” 0 likes