Start by marking “Born Guilty (Joe Sixsmith, #2)” as Want to Read:
Born Guilty (Joe Sixsmith, #2)

Born Guilty (Joe Sixsmith #2)

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  166 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Mass Market Paperback, 223 pages
Published 1999 by HarperCollins (first published May 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Born Guilty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Born Guilty

Bettie☯

Description: Joe Sixsmith, the black, balding, British, middle-aged private eye is back, landing in more trouble than he has ever known. He fights off angry cops, demented druggies and the matchmaking machinations of his Auntie Mirabelle--on his way to finding the scoop about the body he found in a cardboard box at the graveyard.

Back with the native Lutonians: dead baby in a box, lesbian/paedophile school marm, Ukranian Nazi war criminal in hiding, a Gary Glitter t-shirt (this was penned before
Kirsty Darbyshire
Dec 07, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-book

It took me a while to get into this. I couldn't really remember what the first in this series was like and wasn't quite sure what to make of this for a while. In the end I found it gripping and very entertaining.

The good thing about keeping track of the books you read is that you can look back and see what you thought about the first in the series.

it's a bit of a farce, a bit of a caper, a lot of a funny crime novel and mainly just very enjoyable to read.

This one never really struck me as farce

Eric Grounds
May 31, 2017 rated it liked it
I don't know what I will do when I have finished reading the entire portfolio of Reginald Hill's work. He wrote so beautifully and with such cunning plots.
Jon
May 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Like all the others I've read by Reginald Hill, this one is tight, complicated, literate, sometimes funny, and a little off-beat. I have been thoroughly enjoying the Dalziel & Pascoe series, but this one, the second in a different series, didn't quite measure up to that level. Perhaps it was just a little too English for me, with slang, funny names, pop-culture references, and class differences that I sort of got, but without being quite sure of the tone. With Dalziel, I always know exactly ...more
Dorothy
Aug 22, 2013 rated it liked it
While I love the Dalziel and Pascoe series by this author, I had not previously enjoyed the Joe Sixsmith series...but thought it was worth trying again and I did like this episode. The main character lives in Luton, UK and lives a sort of hand to mouth existence as a private eye. A well written story.
Caroline Kubale
Mar 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
MTK
Ross Whamond
Apr 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller-crime
A really nice retro thriller with well drawn characters and scenarios.

I really enjoyed this.
Lynne Elsisy
Mar 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Chosen for light relief which it provided.
Alison
Oct 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Another very enjoyable book in this series - I will be sad to finish the series, especially as there will be no more stories of Joe Sixsmith.
Linda
Jul 30, 2009
  • The Only Game
  • The Cold Heart of Capricorn (Elizabeth Chase, #2)
  • Dødens drabanter (Varg Veum, #15)
  • Dead Men's Bones (Inspector McLean, #4)
  • The Shanghai Moon (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith, #9)
  • Ghost Sub: The Complete Novel (Danny Jabo #2; Ghost Sub #1-4)
  • When the Devil Drives
  • A Man Lay Dead / Enter a Murderer / The Nursing Home Murder (The Ngaio Marsh Collection)
  • Murder at the Lanterne Rouge (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #12)
  • Calendar Girl
  • A Welcome Grave (Lincoln Perry, #3)
  • The Picasso Scam (Charlie Priest, #1)
  • How to Seduce a Ghost (Lee Bartholomew, #1)
  • The Price of Darkness (DI Joe Faraday, #8)
  • Fox Evil
  • The Pact
  • Collected Stories
  • The Shrapnel Academy
Reginald Charles Hill is a contemporary English crime writer, and the winner in 1995 of the Crime Writers' Association Cartier Diamond Dagger for Lifetime Achievement.

After National Service (1955-57) and studying English at St Catherine's College, Oxford University (1957-60) he worked as a teacher for many years, rising to Senior Lecturer at Doncaster College of Education. In 1980 he retired from
More about Reginald Hill...

Joe Sixsmith (5 books)
  • Blood Sympathy (Joe Sixsmith, #1)
  • Killing the Lawyers (Joe Sixsmith, #3)
  • Singing the Sadness (Joe Sixsmith, #4)
  • The Roar of the Butterflies (Joe Sixsmith, #5)