Start by marking “Doggy Whys?” as Want to Read:
Doggy Whys?

Doggy Whys?

Lila Prap returns with another humorously illustrated picture book! Why do dogs do as we tell them? Why do dogs differ so much? Why are some dogs more obedient than others? Why do dogs bark? These questions and many more are answered in this funny fact-filled feast.
Published May 1st 2011 by NorthSouth Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Doggy Whys?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doggy Whys?

Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Nov 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Lila Prap has written another wonderful informational picture book, this time about dogs. Like she often does, Prap begins each double page with a question which she then answers seriously after providing several silly responses. Prap, as always, focuses on information which is great interest to young children and draws illustrations that are just as child-friendly.

“Why Do Dogs Bark?

Dogs bark because they have something to say. A loud, continuous bark warns members of a dog’s family that somethi
Kristin
Aug 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
I adored this non-fiction picture book, written in an original, engaging format. Q&As (Why do dogs wag their tails?) feature on the left-hand side of a spread, while more detailed information can be found in paragraphs on the right. The author cleverly divides the book by common dog breeds. Did I mention the illustrations! are! adorable!? My heart about melted on spot by a rendering of a terrier I had years ago. A must-buy for any dog-lover, big or small.
Shannon Nicole
Twin Text book: How Rocket Learned to Read By: Tad Hills

I paired these two books together because children will learn to appreciate the great story line in "How Rocket Learned to Read". This is a great choice for kids who are beginning to read because in the story, a little yellow birdie convinces the cute spotted dog that even he can read! Once children learn lots of interesting facts about dogs, then they will read a cute story to inspire them to become better readers. I would ask the children
Anne
If you have ever wondered why dogs bark or why there are so many kinds of dogs or just about any other basic dog question, this is the book for you. Each page answers a different question and highlights a different breed of dog. (There are also cats on each page answering each question in a funny, sarcastic manner.) Illustrations are simple and child-like in execution. Solid information is presented but seems a bit wordy given the simplicity of the style; they don't quite mesh.
Elizabeth
Apr 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is all about dogs. Which is why I chose the twin text for this to be the book Dogs by Emily Gravet. I chose Dogs because it has illustrations of all kinds of dogs, not information about them because it is a fiction book, just pictures! It also starts each sentence with "I love dogs that..." and goes on to say all of the different things dogs do. I just love dogs so much and I thought that Doggy Whys? was very informative and that Dogs was still informative, just more through pictures!
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
This was probably my favorite read in today's book pile. Well done on multiple levels. Each page features a question about why dogs do certain things, followed up by a few somewhat silly answers but accompanied by an actual answer/fact and then a different dog & dog fact about that breed. Not only was the book informative but also gave me a chuckle.
Colby Sharp
Aug 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
My fourth graders will love this. First graders will love this. Advanced facts for fourth graders. Easier text for first graders. A book about dogs. A bunch of random sentences together??? This book will be a rockin' reading buddies book.
Pam  Page
Jul 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have Lila Prap's original Why? book and her latest adds to the fun of asking questions. Use these books to introduce or continue children's curiosity and asking questions! So much good information about dogs in this one with questions that children are likely to ask.
Steph
May 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Love these bold illustrations, but this is not a picture books for little kids. Once you open the book, questions about dogs and their habits are asked, with very wordy answers. Cute idea, but wish the text inside was condensed to make it more appealing for younger kids.
Nancy
Nov 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Gives description of selected breeds. Cute illustrations. Fun format. Answers general questions that kids want to know about dogs such as "Why do dogs do what we tell them?""Why do dogs sniff each other's bottoms?" Very child-friendly.
Maria
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Great for explaining dog behavior to young readers.
Debby Baumgartner
Introduces different breeds and explains the why questions about dogs. Very nicely done.
Pam Torres
Dec 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Chock full of great info!
Mercy
Jun 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Not crazy about the cat comments, but a fun book about dogs
Heather Stigall
Katelyn Uhl
Apr 03, 2019
Miss Melissa
Jun 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
I found a few typos but other than that this was a very good read!
Alfajirikali
rated it did not like it
Jul 26, 2011
Mar 01, 2017
Bill
Feb 01, 2014
1 follower
Born in 1955, Slovenian artist and children's book author Lilijana Praprotnik Zupančič, who publishes under the name "Lila Prap," studied architecture at the Ljubljana Academy of Architecture and Civil Engineering, and worked as a graphic designer for a number of years. Her debut title, Animal Lullabies, was published in 2000, and was soon followed by others. Her books have been translated into ma ...more