Start by marking “The Night Before Christmas” as Want to Read:
The Night Before Christmas

The Night Before Christmas

4.37  ·  Rating details ·  112,925 ratings  ·  2,280 reviews
Here is the wonderful new version of the classic poem every family should own. This edition of The Night Before Christmas is lavishly illustrated by renowned, New York Times #1 Bestselling artist Charles Santore, the critically-acclaimed illustrator of multiple classic tales, including The Wizard of Oz, Snow White and The Little Mermaid. This is a hardcover edition of ...more
Published October 11th 2011 by Applesauce Press (first published December 23rd 1823)

·  112,925 ratings  ·  2,280 reviews

Start your review of The Night Before Christmas
karen
AND NOW IS THE TIME OF YEAR I FLOAT OLD CHRISTMAS REVIEWS TO COUNTDOWN TO BING BONG BING BONG!!!

IT IS CHRISTMAS EVE!

i'm not sure if this is the correct edition to review. the one i have is also illustrated by arthur rackham ♥, but it has this cover:

which is much better than the one shown above.

i'm not sure how to review this, because it's just the night before christmas, but since i feel compelled to review all the books i read ever, i am just putting it out there that this is a wonderful chris
Mischenko
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my most treasured Christmas books to read over the holiday season, particularly on Christmas Eve. I believe most people already know the classic poem “Twas the Night Before Christmas” by Clement C. Moore, and I just reviewed another vintage edition that we read every year, but this version is also grand. This picture book contains beautiful illustrations that are lifelike and enchanting. It's one to keep.

5*****
Pramod Nair
Dec 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Twas the night before Christmas, when all thro' the house
The children were nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of sugar plums danc'd in their heads,

- The opening lines of 'Twas the Night Before Christmas.

'Twas the Night Before Christmas or A Visit from St. Nicholas, by Clement Clarke Moore is arguably one of the most popular Christmastide themed
jv poore
Re-read the copy Gammy & Grandy gave me for Christmas in 1972. I love the illustrations in this edition more every single year.
Mischenko
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is featured on today's Shabby Sunday @ https://readrantrockandroll.com/2017/...

This is one of my most treasured Christmas books to read over the holiday season, particularly on Christmas Eve. I believe most people already know the classic poem “Twas the Night Before Christmas” by Clement C. Moore, and I couldn’t tell you how many different editions we have of this one, but what makes this edition so special to me are the classic vintage illustrations by Leonard Weisgard that take me ba
Dave Schaafsma
Dec 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Merry Christmas, all you who celebrate this day, one way or the other!

Every year, in some fashion, I read this aloud to the kids. This is one of the old classic illustrated versions, more for me than the kids, in a way, though we have five versions of it around the house this time. Everyone likes it, though this year the eldest mimics some of the action that I describe, lightly making fun of it. He has this idea Santa no longer exists! Where do these kids nowadays get this fake news!?
Dave Schaafsma
Dec 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read it again aloud last night. Merry Christmas, to all you who celebrate this day in one way or another, and may you have a happier New Year!

But go ahead, you, too, read this aloud Christmas Eve or on Christmas to someone or someones. It's not fake news; my mom swore every word is true, and I never knew her to tell a lie:

Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.
In hopes that St Nicho
Arah-Lynda
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ahhh-poetry
'Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house
...
The children were nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of sugar-plums danced in their heads;
And mamma in her 'kerchief, and I in my cap,
Had just settled down for a long winter's nap,
When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter.
Away to
Kenny
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Still a delight to read after all these years ...

Michael O'Brien
Dec 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't resist --- got this as another early Christmas present for my youngest daughter (4 years old). Like with "How the Grinch Who Stole Christmas", she loved it. Unfortunately, I will be away from home, working this Christmas --- but she liked this so much, she wants me to read it to her via video chat on Christmas Eve. So --- definitely a 5-star rating. A classic every parent ought to read to their kids during the Christmas season! ...more
K.D. Absolutely
At what age did you stop believing in Santa Claus? Last Christmas, I still had to buy something for my daughter and wrote “From: Santa Claus” on the gift tag because she still believed in him. She was 16.

This morning while I was about to drop her at the gate of her school, she again borrowed the rosary hanging on the rearview mirror of my car. The rosary was a gift from my friend who attended the World Youth’s Day in Brazil this year so I am proud of it and taking care of it. The beads are made
Calista
This is a version of the classic poem illustrated by Jessie Smith in 1912. (I couldn’t find a correct entry in Goodreads, this is the best I could do.) I rather enjoy the artwork and I recognize a few panels that companies use for Santa Claus. I haven’t seen this one. Santa isn’t all in red, but dark clothes with soot and ashes on him. The artwork reminds me of turn of the century coca-cola product art.

The kids love this poem.

From the Treasure of Winter-time Tales.
I have read this story every Christmas Eve for as long as I can remember, it's always been part of our Christmas traditions and it will always have a special place in my part because of that.

I don't think there are many people out there that aren't familiar with this poem by Clement C. Moore that was originally published in 1823. Theres a reason it's a classic and that's because it captures the magic of Christmas. We've had many versions of the book over the years but the one we read from now is
Ahmed  Ejaz
It's a delightful poem for the Christmas. Poet depicted the scenes from night before Christmas to the arrival of Santa Clause. It's written in very easy way. Didn't want to read this but accidentally opened it and thought to read it. ...more
Matt
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Neo led us through this holiday classic that never fails to put me in the mood for Christmas. Perhaps it is the silence in the house or the stirring atop the roof, but I can never get enough of the story. When St. Nick calls on his reindeer to make a soft landing and he exits to deliver presents, all I can think of is the gleam in the eye of little children (and Neo) to see what might be left. With some challenging words for Neo to tackle, especially those not usually used any longer, he was abl ...more
Bradley
Dec 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2020-shelf
Nothing, to me, says Xmas more than this poem. Showered with it throughout my childhood, I decided to pass on the torture.. I mean the joy of the simple little poem with my daughter.

It's strange how little it resembles the satanism and the consumerism of the (TM) Santa we've all grown to love and enjoy with our Coke, no?

And best of all, Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!
Morris
Just looking at this book every year makes me cry happy tears of nostalgia. Every Christmas Eve my father would read it to me before we put out the milk and cookies. My copy is worn and torn but brought out every year. I think this speaks to the power of books to help make some of our most cherished memories.
Prabhjot Kaur
The Night Before Christmas is a delightful little gem. I loved the simple yet heart-warming poetry with great descriptions and beautiful, rich illustrations. I don't know which version of this classic I read but I loved and read it few times back to back as it warmed my heart to no end.

5 stars
Cyndi
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When my kids were little they memorized every other line of this poem. I would say a line and they would do their line till the last line that we would all say together. Since then it has become a tradition for every Christmas. So when Mr. H, my brilliant grandson, came along I set about teaching it to him. But, he decided to learn the whole poem. So at three he began entertaining us by reciting it. I LOVE traditions!! 😊🎄🎅🏻
Mariah Roze
This was a cute story that my students enjoyed. The illustrations were amazing! However, the vocabulary in the book was hard for my students to understand, so we had to have many discussions on what the book is saying.
Alan
Aug 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: american-lit
How many decades ago did I memorize this poem, "Tore open the shutters and threw up the sash...." Does any kid now hearing this know what a "sash" is, not to mention a chimney etc. "As dry leaves that before the wild hurricane fly...": now as we await the wet leaves--and yacht boating boots--of the Republicans at their national convention hall in Tampa, a full foot above sea level at least: has anyone ever seen DRY leaves flying before a hurricane?
Sounds like someone from NY who has never seen a
Trish
Dec 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The world-famous story of Santa Claus coming to a house and bringing presents in lyrical form - and here also nicely illustrated by Jan Brett.

Wonderfully atmospheric and joyful - a classic for very good reason and one I always love to read again!
Charles  van Buren
"Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good-night."

This review is from the following free Kindle edition:

Product Details
X-Ray: Enabled
Word Wise: Enabled
Print length: 26 pages
Lending: Enabled

Our daughter and I had not read this together since she was very little but she could still recite some passages as
CarolynMarieReads
The best and most nostalgic Christmas poem in existence! 🥰📖🎅🏼🎄❄️💕
Erica
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How sad is it this is my first time reading this?
Kathie Meyer
Jun 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All ages
Shelves: winter-reading
This is a very biased review since I know the illustrator personally and was a model for one of the elves that appear in the book. My very special kitty, Larry, is pictured in the Christmas stocking at the end too. In fact, Watson used all real people to model for Santa, the elves and the family in the story, and he set the book in Port Townsend, Wash. where he lives. The clocktower is our actual courthouse in town.

Having said all of that...I think this is one of the most wonderfully illustrated
Chantal ❤️
We read this book as our Holiday tradition every Christmas Eve. It's one tradition that we have never overlooked.
A story for the young and the young at heart.
It wouldn't be Christmas without this.
Shirley Revill
It wouldn't be Christmas without this wonderful book at our house.
I used to read it to my children and now it's my grandchildren that love to listen to this story.
Pure nostalgia that really sets the scene for Christmas and I have noticed the adults listen too.
Noriko
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short, yet cute, captivating story that depicts a surprising encounter with St. Nick on the night before Christmas.

This little picture book is full of fantastical, dreamy, enchanting vibes that makes me feel happy, warm and fuzzy inside.

This is definitely one of the books I revisit over and over on Christmas Day to enjoy the festive vibe and the feeling of left spellbound.

Prashasti
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
He sprang to his sleigh, to his team gave a whistle,
And away they all flew like the down of a thistle.
But I heard him exclaim, ere he drove out of sight,
HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO ALL, AND TO ALL A GOOD-NIGHT!

description

I've read this book for the first time and that too "the Night before Christmas" ( coincidence! ), followed by listening to its audiobook, for the second time! & my, oh, my! The illustrations, the rhymes, and fancy Christmas vibes made me feel warm and mushy!

I think I'm going to read this every
Goodreads Librari...: Please add cover 2 12 Oct 05, 2019 06:05PM
recommendations 1 2 Nov 24, 2018 07:02PM
Goodreads Librari...: Every version of this book is combined! 2 23 Oct 17, 2018 10:52AM
London christmas party 1 5 Sep 22, 2016 01:00AM

• Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
  • The Polar Express
  • Walt Disney's Peter Pan
  • A Charlie Brown Christmas
  • How the Grinch Stole Christmas!
  • Bear Stays Up for Christmas
  • Disney's Beauty and the Beast
  • Snowmen at Christmas
  • Madeline
  • Jingle Bells
  • Walt Disney's Dumbo (A Little Golden Book)
  • Frosty the Snowman (Frosty the Snowman)
  • Mickey's Christmas Carol: Classic Storybook
Clement Clarke Moore, (July 15, 1779 – July 10, 1863), is best known as the credited author of A Visit From St. Nicholas (more commonly known today as Twas the Night Before Christmas).

Clement C. Moore was more famous in his own day as a professor of Oriental and Greek literature at Columbia College (now Columbia University) and at General Theological Seminary, who compiled a two volume Hebrew dict

Articles featuring this book

The holiday season is all about comfort and joy, but—let's be real—it can be a bit hectic too. That's why we suggest cozying up with a...
“Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.” 409 likes
“Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house
In hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there;
The children were nestled all snug in their beds;
While visions of sugar-plums danced in their heads;
And mamma in her 'kerchief, and I in my cap,
Had just settled our brains for a long winter's nap,
When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from my bed to see what was the matter.
Away to the window I flew like a flash,
Tore open the shutters and threw up the sash.
The moon on the breast of the new-fallen snow,
Gave a lustre of midday to objects below,
When what to my wondering eyes did appear,
But a miniature sleigh and eight tiny rein-deer,
With a little old driver so lively and quick,
I knew in a moment he must be St. Nick.
More rapid than eagles his coursers they came,
And he whistled, and shouted, and called them by name:
"Now, Dasher! now, Dancer! now Prancer and Vixen!
On, Comet! on, Cupid! on, Donder and Blixen!
To the top of the porch! to the top of the wall!
Now dash away! dash away! dash away all!"
As leaves that before the wild hurricane fly,
When they meet with an obstacle, mount to the sky;
So up to the housetop the coursers they flew
With the sleigh full of toys, and St. Nicholas too—
And then, in a twinkling, I heard on the roof
The prancing and pawing of each little hoof.
As I drew in my head, and was turning around,
Down the chimney St. Nicholas came with a bound.
He was dressed all in fur, from his head to his foot,
And his clothes were all tarnished with ashes and soot;
A bundle of toys he had flung on his back,
And he looked like a pedler just opening his pack.
His eyes—how they twinkled! his dimples, how merry!
His cheeks were like roses, his nose like a cherry!
His droll little mouth was drawn up like a bow,
And the beard on his chin was as white as the snow;
The stump of a pipe he held tight in his teeth,
And the smoke, it encircled his head like a wreath;
He had a broad face and a little round belly
That shook when he laughed, like a bowl full of jelly.
He was chubby and plump, a right jolly old elf,
And I laughed when I saw him, in spite of myself;
A wink of his eye and a twist of his head
Soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread;
He spoke not a word, but went straight to his work,
And filled all the stockings; then turned with a jerk,
And laying his finger aside of his nose,
And giving a nod, up the chimney he rose;
He sprang to his sleigh, to his team gave a whistle,
And away they all flew like the down of a thistle.
But I heard him exclaim, ere he drove out of sight—
“Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good night!”
79 likes