Start by marking “The Wanderer” as Want to Read:
The Wanderer

The Wanderer

Kahlil Gibran (1883-1931) was a Lebanese American of Assyrian descent, an artist, poet and writer. He was born Gibran Khalil Gibran in Lebanon (at the time a Syrian Province of the Ottoman Empire) and spent much of his productive life in the United States. While most of Gibran's early writings were in Syriac and Arabic, most of his work published after 1918 was in English. ...more
Hardcover, The Kahlil Gibran Pocket Library, 100 pages
Published February 21st 1995 by Knopf (first published January 1932)

Start your review of The Wanderer
Ben
Jul 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading Gibran is always a calming experience for me, helping me to think about things that are beyond the sometimes overwhelming minutiae of everyday, and helping me to see things as they are. In the Wanderer, the short fables are certainly a scattered collection, but it seems to me that they are mostly tied together by the themes of the folly of human nature, and paradox of the people's inability to understand each other and truly communicate with each other, in spite of the ultimate interconn ...more
Ravi Prakash
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It contains small stories and poems full of moral wisdom with a sense of universality. One thing that I liked most was the word-play at which Zibran had a mastery. Reading sentences is like falling in love with him.
Ruchika

Few writers approach writing with the simplicity that is Gibran. When I have children and I seek to imbue in them, a sense of ethics and morality, I shall turn to Gibran for their bedtime stories. His parables are sparsely worded and yet, each one of them carries a far greater wealth of wisdom than your average novel.

Unlike other philosophers that I’ve read, Gibran doesn’t explain his ideas or thoughts. Infact, it wouldn’t be far-fetched for me to say that he doesn’t even state them. He picks up
Michael
May 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
A book of parables that I wouldn't not have in my library. Weak praise for Gibran, but he sets a high standard for himself. 3.5/5🌟
W
Nov 25, 2018 added it
Shelves: philosophy
A collection of parables.Some are thought provoking,others not easy to comprehend.
Ayman Sefnaj
Jul 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the delightful set of deep and hard to understand short fables. Whoever wants to be pulled back to the dimension of truth in the midst of all lies we live in. The writings of Gibran made me realize how wrong is our view of things and especially of their true value. Still, I still doubt if I did understand what he meant...
Adriana P.
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My uncle gave me this book and I'm so happy he did, the experience of reading this made me feel so at ease and think about everything Gibran wrote. I hope to read more of this amazing man soon.
Mohammad Ali Abedi
Aug 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One thing I need to do is start reading more books from Asia, specially the Middle East. But Middle Easters are generally not very good at PRing their books to non-locals (relatively). I’m sure most of my Arab brother and sisters (not literally brothers and sisters, unless my father has been…) don’t know much about Iranian authors, and I sure as hell don’t know much about Arabic ones, but I certainly name you a bunch of Americans.

Kahlil Gibran is my first real venture into this new field. Usuall
Elias Abo Sine
Nov 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Wanderer is one of Gibran works that had been published posthumously, it is incomplete work of Gibran like his other works that had been published after his death .

It is a collection of meaningful fictional short parables, some of it you need to re-read it more than once to understand the idea and the meaning that lay behind it, in other words to see Gibran's point of view and sometimes to see Gibran's criticism .

As a person who likes to read short stories and parables , I can really say tha
Joseph
Dec 09, 2009 rated it liked it
Really, 3.5 stars. Nice little afternoon read. A little like Aesop's fables, without the morals at the end. Some stories really insightful; others just weird. But I guess that's what you get with Gibran.
lesley
Aug 15, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2009
I skipped through all 92 pages with a raised eyebrow. It reads like a really funny parody of philosophical self-improvement book.
Jill
Jun 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I loved the simple yet intense way all of these stories connected to my life. I really needed to read this book at that exact moment in my life! Very insightful!
Charles
Aug 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
One of my favorite Gibran titles. With the words of this book I a deeply moved and taken with him in his journey. His poetical wisdom is always deeply connected with life.
Soumitro Roy
Dec 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the second book of Gibran that I read. And all I can say is that the deepest wisdom and words of knowledge lies in simple things. All we need is to have a connection. A must re-read book.
Amanda
May 13, 2019 rated it liked it
"There is no need for us to cease our singing for the comfort of those who must needs fill their emptiness with noise" (pg. 46)
Finished shortly before his death in 1931 The Wanderer is described by Barbara Young as, "woven in the very fabric of Eastern thought" and devoid of the West. I found that to be true in that Gibran borrows heavily from many familiar religious traditions, most of which are of Eastern origin.
Gibran should be read slowly and digested fully. It isn't that his work is so dee
Randy Dias
Apr 15, 2020 rated it liked it
This was a mixed bag, as many short story collections are, but when you find a great story, it's amazing because Khalil Gibran actually gets it, you know?

So out of the 52 stories I read, here's some of the gems I'll be happy to revisit some day:

*At the Fair
*The Shadow
*The T
Soumitro Roy
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book 6 : The Wanderer, His Parables and His Sayings by Kahlil Gibran ( 92pg, 1 day, Ratings: 5/5)
The deepest things in this world is simple. Gibran's writing an example of this. Gibran is a mystic. Tjis book is small, simple yet invaluable for one can complete it in an hour but it will take a lifetime to completely reach the depth.
Daven Savoie
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sublime beauty. An array of words that live so harmoniously on a single page, expressing change into millions of souls when read over the past century in so many languages.

I can only begin to imagine the souls, imaginations and hearts set alight into a blinding flame of passion by the beauty of this mans writing.
Zayde
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Was lucky to stumble upon this book when browsing at a local store. The stories and poems in here deeply resonated with me. Not only was this the best book I ever came across , I also didn’t realize writing could even have this effect and be this great.

Open to any page and experience an incredible shift in mental state
Abhishek Malik
I don't know what have I just read. It seems that there is a stream of meaning running under the straight meaning of the words that I was able to understand. Reading 'the prophet' was a much simpler and soothing experience than this and now I am thirsty to understand what Khalil meant here.
Dipkamal
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kahlil-gibran
"A song of love out of poet's heart is sung by every man to every woman."
Reading Kahlil Gibran is always a soothing experience, a travel to a world of heart and soul and of other godly creations of human mind.
Siddharth Chandra
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An excellent set of parables that have a way deeper meaning. It always makes me wonder how Kahlil Gibran can weave such beautiful stories with such simplicity.
Emre Kolay
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Makes you think ocassionaly, or just feel. A "wandering" reading.
Niel
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: osho-suggestions
I will never cease to love this man.
Aalok Ghimire
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
There was something lacking compared to THE PROPHET. Perhaps I expected too much of him. Nevertheless, it was good, simple and insightful.
Suneel Madhekar
My second Kahlil Gibran after The Forerunner. This is a collection of parables. Some are amusing, but all are thought provoking. Beautiful little book.
Donna
Apr 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Disjointed fragments that probably give a fuller glimpse at who the poet and artist truly was. Thoughtful notions.
Shreyang
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kahlil Gibran - the most comprehensively positive adjective to be found in literature, that doesn't exist in the dictionaries of any language.
Michelle
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
"The philosopher's soul dwells in his head, the poet's soul is in the heart; the singer's soul lingers about his throat, but the soul of the dancer abides in all her body."
Terry Simmons-albertson
Not this best but an okay read.
« previous 1 3 next »

• An Odyssey of the North
  • Der Zwang
  • Arayışlar
  • Scharlach (Fischer Klassik Plus)
  • Rahel Rechtet Mit Gott. Legenden
  • Un mariage à Lyon
  • Doktor Ox'un Deneyi
  • Maese Zacarias
  • de ki işte
  • Mürebbiye
  • الأجنحة المتكسرة (Arabic Edition)
  • Mutlu Olma Sanatı
  • Feniçka
  • The Right to Be Lazy
  • هيلين كيلر - شعاع من النور وسط الظلام
  • Amok Koşucusu
  • على هامش صراع الحضارات
  • Twilight and Moonbeam Alley
Kahlil Gibran (Arabic: جبران خليل جبران ) was a Lebanese-American artist, poet, and writer.
Born in the town of Bsharri in modern-day Lebanon (then part of Ottoman Mount Lebanon), as a young man he emigrated with his family to the United States where he studied art and began his literary career. In the Arab world, Gibran is regarded as a literary and political rebel. His romantic style was at t