Start by marking “42 Fallacies” as Want to Read:
42 Fallacies

42 Fallacies

A fallacy is an error in reasoning. That is, it is a piece of bad logic. Just as it is a good idea to avoid eating bad food, it is also a rather good idea to avoid bad reasoning. Unfortunately, bad reasoning is all too common—it pours out of the television and infests the web like an army of venomous spiders. Perhaps even worse than the fallacies inflicted from the outside ...more
Published November 4th 2010

To ask other readers questions about 42 Fallacies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 42 Fallacies

Start your review of 42 Fallacies
Chris Sosa
Jan 18, 2012 rated it did not like it
Typos abound. Ethical dilemmas are over-simplified to the point of inaccuracy in logic examples. The authorial tone is elementary. In short: Skip this one.
Paul M.
Dec 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
A quick, easy-to-read, and informative collection of 42 short lessons on various fallacies of reasoning. It could be more "entertaining," but the truth is that it does its job.
Jay Miklovic
Oct 31, 2012 rated it it was ok
It was OK. The examples were pretty good, and the initial brief definitions were well presented also, however everything in between (over half the book) was painfully redundant. Whoever edited this book could have cut half of this book out. I can't believe how many times 3 consecutive sentences would say the exact same thing in a different way.

If you want a quick reference on fallacies this might useful, just read the two line description at the beginning of each fallacy, then read a few of the
Tori Franco
Aug 12, 2018 rated it liked it
This is more of a quick reference book than anything else. I am new to the whole world of philosophy so I'm not sure how accurate the examples are, but it totally made sense. This book isn't one you'd sit down and read. It's more of a book you break out when you need to look up what type of fallacy something is. If that makes sense.
Eureca Umboh
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love how it is written in nice structure: definition, why it happens, and examples.
Siem Lowis
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: general-interest
If you don't expect a 1800-page study of logic, but instead expect a 90-page summary of 42 fallacies, then I'm sure you'll like this book as I did.

This book has been pretty helpful to me. Where, before, I'd accept an invalid argument, I now think twice. I like that. I'll be reading more of the author's books.
Jim
Jan 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, read-2012
This is a very nice low cost offering from the Kindle store, it is still only 99 cents. One of the reviewers on Amazon mentioned that it is available as a free PDF as well. While there is nothing startling in this e-book, it is a nice primer if you enjoy engaging in lively discussion on issue from the minor to the important. It will help you examine your own beliefs to avoid committing the very same fallacious thinking. It may even help you prepare for the coming onslaught of wild claims during ...more
Niki
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ever have a conversation (or an argument) with someone and find yourself starting to become convinced, but have this nagging feeling that something's not quite right about their rationale? Chances are someone's employing one of the 42 logical fallacies explained in this book. (It might be you!) Anyone who talks to other humans and cares about the truth should read this book at least once, and then go back and skim it as a refresher every year or so.
Bo Jeanes
Dec 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Fantastic content that everyone should be familiar with (whether through this book or other sources).

Each fallacy was presented in exactly the same format which made it quite easy to digest and compare them. It can get a bit boring as each chapter felt like a template, but the book is short enough that it is never really a problem.

I look forward to reading "20 More Fallacies" by the same author.
Loránd
May 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
A great reference guide for common logical fallacies. Sure, you can easily find all of these on wikipedia, but you can't pad your goodreads book count with that!

Also, I sincerely hope that the number of fallacies presented is a nod to The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy fans.
Miguel
Apr 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is an informative and readable rundown of 42 common logical fallacies ranging from ad hominem to strawman to two wrongs make a right. The fallacies are explained in detail and examples are provided. A quick read that's fantastic for philosophy students or those simply trying to gain an edge in an argument.
Athens
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was ok

This book is a compilation, not something that you could really say has an author.

It is a collection and rephrasing of what has been built up over many generations.

The book is not "bad", it is just not particularly new in any way that stands out as positive.
Michael Foley
Jul 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a good book to remind yourself of the dirty tricks people use to present their point of view. It may even help you knock down your own internal arguments(don't lie, we all argue with ourselves)and make you take notice of what is a valid point and what is not.
Ben
May 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Although I have finished reading this wonderful book, I still keep it on hand when debating others. It is an incredibly useful tool for pointing out the fallacious arguments of others and also a guide for avoiding them yourself.
Mounir
Jan 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
Nice informative book, though as far as I understood, there are some unnecessary repetition of a number of Fallacies under different names. The examples given were in some instances not really appropriate to the Fallacy described. In my opinion, this book needs some revision.
David Robertus
Aug 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
A detailed manual of fallacies. If you care about the quality of debate enough to want to inform someone else of why their argument tis the pits (or recognize holes in your own judgement) then this is worth picking up.
Brent
Jul 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Nothing fancy; a decent read.
Andy Rix
Jan 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy
Loved it. A great down and dirty explanation of logical/argumentative fallacies.
Kerry
Feb 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Useful rather than enjoyable. Interesting, but really a reference work. Wasn't quite what I was expecting.
Richard Foster
Jul 29, 2014 rated it liked it
A short book that's easy to read, clear and informative.
Lawrence Bish
A good reference if you need to have one ready.
Daniel
Apr 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Nice, short, and straightforward summary of 42 of the most common logical fallacies.

Worth reading.

• Contracts: Examples & Explanations
  • A Rulebook for Arguments
  • The Complete Works: The Revised Oxford Translation, Vol. 1
  • An Introduction to the Way of the Buddha: Buddhism for Beginners
  • 101 Amazing Affirmations for Self-Esteem & Success (Audio Included)
  • Acing Business Associations (Acing Series)
  • 177 Dumbest Criminal Stories - International
  • Why Men And Women Can't Be Friends
  • How to Be a Bawse: A Guide to Conquering Life
  • You Are a Badass at Making Money: Master the Mindset of Wealth
  • Counterfeit Gods: The Empty Promises of Money, Sex, and Power, and the Only Hope that Matters
  • How to Become a Straight-A Student