Start by marking “House Beautiful Style 101: 400 Designer Secrets to a Beautiful Home” as Want to Read:
House Beautiful Style 101: 400 Designer Secrets to a Beautiful Home

House Beautiful Style 101: 400 Designer Secrets to a Beautiful Home

3.47  ·  Rating details ·  47 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Want to change your home? Baffled by all the available design choices? House Beautiful helps you define your style--and get the look you love in every room.

With advice and insider tips from dozens of designers, this entry in the magazine's popular pocket guide series (which includes Colors for Your Home and Fabrics for Your Home) simplifies all your decorating decisions. A
Published October 4th 2011 by Hearst

To ask other readers questions about House Beautiful Style 101, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about House Beautiful Style 101

Mustafa
good ideas .. good arrangement
Am Y
May 30, 2016 rated it did not like it
Loud. Jarring. Clashing. Bawdy. Obnoxious. Cluttered.

That's the impression I got from most of the photos in this book. My eyes hurt after viewing most of the so-called designer rooms.

Examples?

Well, there's one completely emerald-green kitchen, loads of rooms with pattern on pattern (and they do not go well together, mind you), a room with a headache-inducing large monochrome chevron rug covering the entire floor, another room with a huge bullseye-pattern carpet in the centre that made me dizzy,
Brisbride13
May 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
I liked the pictures but the test to see what style I was, was very disappointing. Each question gives you 5 pictures and you choose which style you prefer. The answers you give help to categorize you as glam, new ruralistz traditional with a twist, modernist, or accessorator. The trouble I ran into is I had a very equal point value for all 4 categories!
Martha
Mar 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
read again in Aug 2013
Trish
Aug 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book has a lot of good ideas. You could use this book as a guide to find things in your price point.
Peggy
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
Oops. Didn't realize it was a House Beautiful book, and totally not into the ornate, formal designs they prefer :/ Beautiful tips - just not for me
Tressa
Sep 19, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
House Beautiful Style 101 had lovely pictures, but only four styles were listed.
Abby
May 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, home
I just really loved this little book; fun and easy to read with lots of perfect, unfussy eye candy. It also nailed my personal aesthetic; I'm calling myself a New Ruralist now.
Hannah Jane