Start by marking “The Lifeguard (Point Horror, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Lifeguard (Point Horror, #3)

The Lifeguard (Point Horror, #3)

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  1,215 Ratings  ·  69 Reviews
A summer of sun, sand and murder.

Kelsey's summer should have been paradise: An invitation to rich and famous Beverly Island, complete with sun-drenched beaches and three gorgeous lifeguards on duty. But Kelsey's summer is the opposite of paradise. It starts with the note under her pillow from a girl who's missing. Then there's the crazy man in the lighthouse who won't lea
Unknown Binding, 224 pages
Published August 8th 1996 by Scholastic (first published June 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Lifeguard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lifeguard

Sandra
Kelsey Tanner goes with her mother to Beverly Island for a vacation for a couple of weeks. Her mother's boyfriend, Eric, invited them to visit him at his home on the island where he's staying for the summer, spending time with his children (his two sons, Justin and Neale, and one daughter, Beth). When Kelsey and her mother arrive at the island they are met by a distraught Eric. He tells them his thirteen-year-old daughter Beth is missing. There are search parties out looking for her. Beth's belo ...more
karen
Jul 31, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: teen-faves
this has nothing to do with this book, but i finally saw the video for it today (even though i swear i am doing homework and studying - i totally am), and it made me laugh, having always been a fan of the song. this book is also good, or it was when i was thirteen or so.

but enjoy this, please: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBRJ6j...
Ken
Jul 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I had so many Point Horror books as a teen. I can distinctly recall this cover, but with no recollection of the plot the twist and turns were just a surprise this time around.

Whilst away on summer vacation Kelsey soon suspects that missing girl Beth might actually have been murdered.

This played more like a thriller, there’s some creepy horror moments but felt slight different to all to most of the others in the range.

An enjoyable read, though not as memorable as some of Cusick’s other novels.
I’l
Rebecca McNutt
I bought this book and unfortunately ended up liking the front cover (that wavy title font is SO far out!) more than the writing inside. It's not that the author didn't do a good job with her writing, it's more a matter of content. I've read several other YA mysteries that follow the exact same plot lines and ideas, and this book was easy to predict.
BookCupid
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: thriller, own
Nostalgia read.

Kelsey arrives on the island to meet her mother's boyfriend family. But she soon finds out that the youngest of his children has disappeared and is presumed drowned. With three handsome lifeguards surrounding her, Kelsey should be safe from the water, or is she???

I used to love reading these. Except this time around I found the plot didn't make much sense. There has to be clear motives for everyone's actions, particularly evil ones, and instalove is better left aside.
Sati Marie Frost
This is a truly odd book. It's one of the first Point Horrors I owned, back when I was 8 or 9, but I couldn't really get into it well back then. I know I read it - I can tell from the cover that it's been read a lot, LOL - but I didn't really remember it very well.

Richie Tankersley Cusick is an interesting writer. Her writing style is more subtle than some of the other Point Horror authors like Diane Hoh or R.L. Stine, perhaps a little more sophisticated, and as a result I think she probably app
Kirsty
Re-read this for Episode 1 of the Teenage Scream podcast (lovingly dissecting the best and worst of 90s teen horror). Listen here, or subscribe on your podcast app:

Trisha
Dec 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Georgina Merry
Jul 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read this book over and over as a teen. I loved it. I bought a copy recently, not only to reacquaint myself with RTC's work, but for research purposes. It's almost a different book, as the characters have taken on new appearances in my imagination. This is down to the author's ability to describe physical features in a non-restrictive manner.

Still, this book isn't without flaw. Am I the only one to notice that Justin' s eyes change from brown to blue throughout the course of the story? Having
A.
Sep 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: girls, 8-18
I first read this Christopher Pike style book at some point in elementary school and have re-read it several times since. It's not the best written book and it's certainly not literary, but it's a fun novel with intriguing characters and I will likely read it several more times :). P.S. "Don't call for help. He may just kill you."
Alana ~ The Book Pimp
This was a 'back in the day' read... but you know what? It's STILL on my shelf. That says something right there! And this got the JLA stamp of approval as a book she loved growing up. Awesomesauce!
Felicity
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
I adored Point Horror books when I was about 12, and I came across 3 of them for 50 cents each I couldn't resist.
Lame; yes, but oh so much fun :)
April
Feb 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Read this in middle school, it was fairly good. I believe I read it in a day.
Jodie Angeline Lee
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I decided I wanted to read all the point horror books again. The first two weren’t available to buy on kindle so my kindle collection will start with book 3 - The Lifeguard.

I read this one many many years ago and by this point I’ve forgotten everything about it so that’s always helpful when re-reading a book with plot twists.

Kelsey and her mum go to stay on Beverly Island with her mums boyfriend and his 3 kids for the summer. Only when they arrive one of the kids is missing and it’s all a big
Caroline Bennett
I read an interview with the author where she says she got given the title, strapline and cover. So she had to make their be three lifeguards or there would be no mystery.

Reminds me of: Sunset Beach on a dark day.

"It was probably just a practical joke" moment: (view spoiler)
Alison
Oct 07, 2017 rated it liked it
I absolutely loved this book when I was in my teens and read it time and time again so couldn't resist when I spotted it on Kindle Unlimited some 20+ years later. Was it as good as I remembered?

I think the answer to that was always going to be no. Don't get me wrong I had an absolute blast reading it again, and it is a very easy and addictive read, but now that I'm older I couldn't help finding little flaws and things to criticize.

At the time this was originally written this was a new genre so
Angela
May 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Another childhood reread.
This one, for me, is not as good as the others I've reread so far. Mainly due to the protagonist, Kelsey, being a soppy moron. I'm sure I would not have thought this when I first read it many moons ago, but as an adult, it seems some things in this novel just don't make sense. Like the parents just buggering off to the mainland and leaving the kids by themselves without telling them. In fact, the complete lack of parental and adult responsibility at all in this book is
Julien Houle
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
This is likely the first Point Horror entry to miss the mark entirely. Author Richie Tankersley Cusick has a knack with atmosphere but has trouble with characterization, with a rather whiny protagonist and a series of unlikable supporting characters with inconsistent characterizations. In addition, the central narrative deals with a number of difficult situations (including missing teenagers, a series of murders, and mental illness) but can’t seem to balance its more serious elements with the le ...more
Jess
I totally fell for the misdirect.
Vicki
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good creepy story with engaging characters
Candace
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
One of my first interests in books YEARS ago. I will always love this book for sparking the passion of reading inside me.
Sydney Bollinger
This book was wild. I'm not sure if I like it better or worse than The Mall; this was not nearly as scary as The Mall, although the overall plot of this book made a bit more sense.
Zoë
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Back to my childhood

Reliving some of my youth reading these. I forgot how good these books are. I first read this 20 years ago at least and they have stood the test of time.
Jasmine Turner
Jun 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
so im guessing justin got away
Julie
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My favorite growing up!
Kari Jean
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Fun read! Takes me back to middle school when I read it the first time.
Heather
Jun 14, 2018 rated it liked it
We reviewed this on Teenage Scream, the podcast that fondly dissects the best (and worst) of 90s teen horror). Listen here, or subscribe on your podcast app:

Kaitlin
Jan 19, 2010 rated it liked it
This book was introduced to me by my history teacher. We have reading break and she decided to read this to the class. However, everytime she reads she always pauses and than starts her own story of her own life, which takes us longer to fnish the book. It took my class 3 months to finish the book. That's long for me! I can read a book in 2 hours or less! Anyway, I liked the plot of the story, how there was a serial killer on the loose. I knew it was one of the lifegaurds, and I guessed one of t ...more
Melanie Cusick-Jones
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-bg
PurplyCookie
Kelsey's summer should've been paradise: surrounded by the gorgeous beach and adorable lifeguards. Ominous things started happening, first with the appearance of a note under her pillow from a girl who's missing. Then there's the crazy man in the lighthouse who won't leave her alone. Lastly, the mounting number of disappearances and suspicious drownings in the area.

So many red herrings are thrown into this plot that it seems almost logical when the killer turns out to be the one man both Kelsey
  • Funhouse
  • My Secret Admirer (Point Horror, #4)
  • Mother's Helper (Point Horror, #14)
  • The Phantom
  • The Cheerleader (Point Horror, #18)
  • The Snowman
  • Dream Date
Richie Tankersley Cusick is the bestselling young adult author of over 25 titles, including two adult horror titles, "Scarecrow" and "Blood Roots". Her popularity grew at the height of the horror/YA boom in the late 80's/early 90's, particularly with books like "Lifeguard" , "Trick or Treat" and "Teacher's Pet", just to name a few, allowing her to keep company on the bestseller paperback lists wit ...more
More about Richie Tankersley Cusick

Young Adult Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Night Divided
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
  • The Lotterys Plus One
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Chemistry Lessons
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • My Best Friend's Exorcism
  • Liars, Inc.
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Twilight / Life and Death (Twilight, #1, 1.75)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Siege and Storm (The Grisha, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Thousandth Floor (The Thousandth Floor, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Ruin and Rising (The Grisha, #3)
  • A Long Walk to Water: Based on a True Story
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Girl Who Drank the Moon
    $15.95 $1.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • I Hate Everyone But You