Start by marking “Aesop's Fables” as Want to Read:
Aesop's Fables

Aesop's Fables

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  108,208 ratings  ·  1,817 reviews
Aesop's Fables or Aesopica refers to a collection of fables credited to Aesop (620-560 BC), a slave and story-teller who lived in Ancient Greece. Aesop's Fables have become a blanket term for collections of brief fables, usually involving anthropomorphic animals. Many stories included in Aesop's Fables, such as The Fox and the Grapes (from which the idiom "sour grapes" was ...more
Nook, Barnes & Noble Classic Series, 357 pages
Published June 2009 by Barnes & Noble (first published -560)

·  108,208 ratings  ·  1,817 reviews

Ahmad Sharabiani
1001. Aesop’s Fables = The Aesopica, Aesopus
Aesop's Fables, or the Aesopica, is a collection of fables credited to Aesop, a slave and storyteller believed to have lived in ancient Greece between 620 and 564 BC. Of diverse origins, the stories associated with his name have descended to modern times through a number of sources and continue to be reinterpreted in different verbal registers and in popular as well as artistic media.
حکایتهای ازوپ - ازوپ (هرمس، زوار، اساطیر) ادبیات؛ تاریخ نخستین خوانش:
Huda Yahya

يقال إن هذه الحكايات حكايات شعبية يونانية
جمعت ووضعت تحت إسم مؤلف متخيل أسموه أيسوب

ربما بنفس الطريق التي راح بها الأخوين جريم يجمعان الفولكلور الألماني
ووضعوه في قصصهم الخرافيةالأشهر

ولكن هناك فريق آخر يرى أن أيسوب شخصية حقيقية وأن هذه القصص فعلا من تأليفه

وبغض النظر عن الحقيقة
فالحكايات هنا مثلها مثل كليلة ودمنة تميل إلى كونها مواعظ وحكم ذلات دلالات أخلاقية
كما أنها تدور على ألسنة الحيوانات
وهي أيضا قصيرة نسبيا

جزء آخر من تراث الإنسانية الذي علينا جميعا التعرف عليه
أحب هذه القصة كثيرا
فهي خالدة ما دام
James
How often in life these little fables come up and we forget their original (or semi-original) source. Thousands of years old... parables told over and over again, then written down. What do they really mean, you can ask yourself these questions over and over again and have a different answer each time.

Take the "Tortoise and the Hare" as an example: Is it always true that slow and steady wins the race. Is that really what the story says? Could it be a broad theory that is subject to individual o
Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
Aesop wrote many intelligent fables in here, and some are real life lessons. One of the most famous, and also the one I take the most from, is The Hare and the Tortoise.

We all know the story and the maxim: slow and steady wins the race. Being arrogant and fast isn’t all that. I remember reading this at school for the first time when I was around five to six years old, and somehow, it stuck with me. I always take the tortoise approach in life whether it be writing essays or training for marathon
Riku Sayuj
Feb 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Riku by: Socrates

AESOP'S ECHOES

It is amazing how so many popular references and common senses are found here. Aesop finds his echoes throughout the high flying philosophers and through the earthy grandmothers, not only engrafted into the literature of the civilized world, but familiar as household words in daily conversation of peoples, across borders. It is all pervading. And to top it off, such great pleasure too.

Wisdom, and simplicity, and entertainment - through unforgettable stories - what more could be a
Fabian
Mar 11, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I must admit that at this time some of these tales fell flat & are as antiquarian as... Carriages? Shepherds?

But still, some of them are cynical enough to strike my fancy, and most of them end with a little innocent critter dying and learning a mistake way too late--all so that we can benefit. There is misogyny, racism, class-ism... the works. Its deletion of this from the "1001 Books" List doesn't affect me (or you), really.

My favorites include the one about the bat who denies his classific
Manny
Dec 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
I was looking for a Christmas present for my nephew the other day when I noticed an edition of Aesop's Fables in Blackwells. I had a copy myself when I was a kid, and it was one of my favourite books. I can't guess how many times I read it.

Thinking about it now, it surprises me to realise how fresh and up-to-date it still feels. Most of the stuff from that period is starting to slip away; most people don't read the Bible any more, or Homer, or Euripides, or Seneca. Obviously, they're still ackno
Jason Koivu
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These moral lessons were my bible.

...when I wasn't made to learn my bible as a kid.

The other day I realized I didn't know all of Aesop's Fables. Certainly I've read a few and heard many more, but I'd never sat down and read the whole thing. So I rectified that.

Now I can see why some of the lesser known fables are lesser known. Not every one of these often-anthropomorphic tales of animals wise and woeful is a winner. None are terrible, but every once in a while one of them doesn't quite resinate.
Manny
My colleague S, with whom I'm currently doing a project involving Italian, lent me this book so that I could improve my shaky grasp of her language. I was pleased to find that I could understand quite a lot of it! The high point was discovering an Aesop's Fable that I hadn't previously come across:

The Frogs and the Well

Some frogs lived happily in a puddle. Then summer arrived; as one hot day succeeded another, the puddle shrank until it disappeared altogether. The frogs had no choice but to seek
Fran
Dec 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is a collection of fables credited to Aesop, a slave and storyteller believed to have lived in ancient Greece. These stories, while at times naive at times strange, filled many of my summers, I as read them out loud for my grandmother while she was sewing or painting or doing one of the many things she loved to do with her hands.

Originally belonging to the oral tradition, the fables were collected only three centuries after Aesop's death. The stories are focused on teaching moral lessons ab
Michael Finocchiaro
The world of fables for the west really originated with the slave Aesop and this marvellous collection of stories. In France, La Fontaine would probably never have existed had Aesop not existed. The fairy tales of Grimm and Andersson similarly drew inspiration from Aesop. The most famous of course is the eternal Tortoise and the Hare, but don't stop there as there are amazing tales here with philosophical and moral messages that transcend the ages.
Ahmed  Ejaz
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, short-stories
I think this is the book I can call a REAL masterpiece.

OVERVIEW
This book contains Fables. Each fable is different from the other and contains different moral. Author uses animals to convey his message. There are very few Fables in which he uses humans. But I didn't mind that fact. I just wanted a lesson.
And I must praise author for such a great comparison between humans and animals. He has used an appropriate animal for a particular human characteristic.
Overall this book contains almost ev
Mohadese
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
افسانه ها نشان می دهد که ازوپ مردی زشت و بد شکل بود
روزگار درازیست که میان پژوهشگران خاور و باختر این بحث جریان دارد که ازوپ کیست؟ و لقمان کدام است؟ برخی از آنها گفته اند هر دو آنها یک شخصیت است زیرا همه نکاتی را که اروپائیان درباره ازوپ یاد می کنند، دانشمندان اسلامی درباره لقمان آورده اند
کتاب مجموعه ایست از داستان های کوتاه همراه با نتیجه گیری، بیانگر حکمت های زندگی.
عرضم ب حضورتون ک من این کتابو ب همین شکل دارم و مال دوران نوجوانی پدرمه، هیچ وقت نگرفتم دستم بخونمش اما بچه که بودم هر شب بابام یه
Rebecca McNutt
If there's one book that deserves a classic status, it's Aesop's Fables. With hidden moral values among wit, humor, fantasy and animals, Aesop created some of the most clever scenarios and stories of all time.
Rahul Matthew
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really love these timeless tales taught by Animals!!:)
Bettie☯
Description: The fables of Aesop have become one of the most enduring traditions of European culture, ever since they were first written down nearly two millennia ago. Aesop was reputedly a tongue-tied slave who miraculously received the power of speech; From his legendary storytelling came the collections of prose and verse fables scattered throughout Greek and Roman literature. First published in English by Caxton in 1484, the fables and their morals continue to charm modern readers: Who does ...more
M.rmt
Apr 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
مسافری از خستگی سفر تلو تلو میخورد چشمش ندید و به داخل چاه عمیقی افتاد و همان جا خوابش برد.الهه سرنوشت به سراغش آمد و او را تکان داد تا بیدار شود و گفت:《بیدار شو و خودت را از این چاه بیرون بکش که بعدها هر که این ماجرا را بشنود،آن را به پای حماقت تو نمینویسد و به گردن من میاندازد که طفلک سرنوشتش این بود》
Fernando
La fábula ("composición literaria narrativa breve, generalmente en prosa o verso, en la que los personajes principales son animales o cosas inanimadas que presentan características humanas") es considerada por algunos como un género literario menor, más allá de que existe en la literatura desde la época de los grandes exponentes griegos y que fue adoptada por nuevos autores con el correr del tiempo.
Usualmente, funciona como contrapunto del mito y la intención que se le quiso dar desde la antigüe
Karina
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love all the stories. Reading them to my kids and then asking them the morals as they see it. I know they don't understand it all but I hope it plants a seed in them to be kinder, empathetic people and not letting others abuse this kindness. Lots of witty and self evaluation stories told in animal form. Short and sweet with lots of wisdom and mental strength.
Katie Lumsden
An odd, interesting and kind of charming read.
g
Aug 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Micro-relatos muy entretenidos. Si bien su clave es la moraleja, creo que se leen mejor con criterios formalistas. En casi todas estas fábulas hay formas abstractas en funcionamiento que parecen estructuras algebraicas: hay un conjunto de elementos y reglas de interacción entre esos elementos. El pasaje ocurre por analogía -como figura retórica- o por morfismo -relación matemática entre estructuras abstractas-. Creo que esta condición es la que ha llevado a un uso extendido de Esopo en la divulg ...more
Free download available at Project Gutenberg.

INTRODUCTION

Aesop embodies an epigram not uncommon in human history; his fame is all the more deserved because he never deserved it. The firm foundations of common sense, the shrewd shots at uncommon sense, that characterise all the Fables, belong not him but to humanity. In the earliest human history whatever is authentic is universal: and whatever is universal is anonymous. In such cases there is always some central man who had first the trouble of
Theresa
I'm not sure what I was expecting to get out of reading these, and while some of them were amusing some were just weird.

Most of these stories have a moral to them, like The Tortoise and the Hare, but others just explained why things are the way they are. Then you had stories that just consisted of a woman smelling an old wine canteen. A lot of the stories were repetitive, which is probably why I started losing interest towards the end. How many stories about a wolf trying to lure a poor lamb or
Marquise
This was the only book quite appropriate for my young age that I read as a child, a precious edition with lots of drawings by one of the best book illustrators, Arthur Rackham, which to date is still much loved by me. I have that old copy with me even now, relatively well preserved.
ZaRi
قورباغههایی که میخواستند شاه داشته باشند.

این حکایت به زمانی باز میگردد که قورباغهها شاهی نداشتند و از این بابت ناراحت بودند. آنها نمایندهای به خدمتِ ژوپیتر، خدای خدایان، فرستادند تا او شاهی برایشان تعیین کند. ژوپیتر از اینکه قورباغهها کسی را میخواهند که بر آنها حکومت کند، دلخور شد و تکه کندهای در دریاچهٔ قورباغهها انداخت و گفت: «این هم شاهتان!» قورباغهها ابتدا از آن کندهٔ درخت ترسیدند و زیر آب رفتند. کمی که ترسشان ریخت، روی آب آمدند و دیدند که انگار آن کندهٔ درخت کاری به آنها ندارد. آهسته جلوتر
Afkham
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aesop's most influential fable, very short tales told by different creatures with a wise piece of advice or a moral result in the end.
The appealing point is not only it applies for our routine and every day life but also it got its roots deep in humanity and civilized society of all the times and areas. Most of them stories I've heard or read about as a child or even been told by illiterate elderlies.
Amy
Oct 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think maybe this just isn't a book you want to read all at once. It is quite amazing that these stories are 3000 years old and the lessons still hold. It's just that many are similar and after a dozen or so it gets kind of tedious to read.
Eric Boot
I translated parts of these for my Greek lessons, and it was pretty interesting :) I didn't read all of them but I think the biggest share.
Eadweard
"The Goat and the Donkey

A man kept a goat and a donkey. The goat became jealous of the donkey, because it was so well fed. So she said to him:
‘What with turning the millstone and all the burdens you carry, your life is just a torment without end.’
She advised him to pretend to have epilepsy and to fall into a hole in order to get some rest. The donkey followed her advice, fell down and was badly bruised all over. His master went to get the vet and asked him for a remedy for these injuries. The ve
Shyam
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You are ignorant and lacking in curiosity, and have failed to go over your Aesop —Aristophanes, The Birds
__________
There is a whole population . . . running all over the place excitedly, occupied without any true occupation, huffing and puffing at frivolous pursuits, and making much out of nothing. They are an annoyance to each other and utterly despised by everyone else. Yet I would like to try to correct this crowd, if possible, by means of a true story: it is one worth listening to.

'I'm not g
Reading 1001: Aesop’s Fables by Aesop 3 11 Apr 10, 2019 03:31PM
How Does Testo Tren Truly Work? 1 2 Jan 08, 2019 10:21PM
Around the Year i...: The Complete Fables, by Aesop 3 22 Aug 20, 2016 12:31AM
  • Lord of the Flies
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Complete Fairy Tales
  • The Jungle Books
  • The Coyote Road: Trickster Tales
  • The Lilac Fairy Book
A.k.a.: Esopo, Ésope.

Aesop (/ˈiːsɒp/ ee-sop; Ancient Greek: Αἴσωπος, Aisōpos, c. 620–564 BCE) was an Ancient Greek fabulist or story teller credited with a number of fables now collectively known as Aesop's Fables. Although his existence remains uncertain and (if they ever existed) no writings by him survive, numerous tales credited to him were gathered across the centuries and in many languages i
“A doubtful friend is worse than a certain enemy. Let a man be one thing or the other, and we then know how to meet him.” 282 likes
“Fine clothes may disguise, but silly words will disclose a fool” 117 likes