Start by marking “Shadowlark (Skylark, #2)” as Want to Read:
Shadowlark (Skylark, #2)

Shadowlark

(Skylark #2)

Ever since she escaped the city within the Wall, Lark Ainsley's wanted one thing: to find her brother Basil. She's always believed he would be the one to put an end to the constant fear and flight. And now, hidden underground in the chaotically magical city of Lethe, Lark feels closer to him than ever.

But Lethe is a city cowering in fear of its founder, the mysterious Pro
Published October 1st 2013 by Carolrhoda Lab (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Shadowlark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadowlark

Unravel Me by Tahereh MafiThrough the Ever Night by Veronica RossiScarlet by Marissa MeyerProdigy by Marie LuEverbound by Brodi Ashton
2013 YA/MG Sequels
110 books — 814 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadThe Elite by Kiera CassRequiem by Lauren Oliver
YA Novels of 2013
1,576 books — 11,068 voters

More lists with this book...

Ferdy
Spoilers

Yet another run-of-the-mill YA dystopian book. I wasn't a fan of the first book but for some bizarre reason I thought I'd give this one a chance. Sadly, it turned out to be a rubbish read.

-The world building was a mess, it was a mish-mash of nonsense. There was magic, steampunk, dystopia, and zombie-esque elements to it… And none of it meshed well together, it was just too much.

-A lot of the world building made me roll my eyes. There was the cliched isolated cities that were either unde
Anne Osterlund
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lark must find Basil. Her brother is the only person who can understand, what it was like to be captured by the leaders of her own city, drained of her own magic, and altered into a weapon meant to capture the Renewables--rare humans able to generate new magic and, therefore, able to power entire cities . . . if those humans are imprisoned and drained of their gift until they die.

But Basil has been gone for years. Lark's only clue is that he was headed for another city ages ago. So that is where
Jess
Mar 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
It wasn't as good as the first one, but I still enjoyed it a lot (even though I guessed the final plottwists) and had all the trouble putting it down.
Emily
Nov 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Kate Bond
Jun 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
Skylark is not my favorite book. It wasn't even one of my top ten books of 2012. The world building is problematic, the beginning is a slog, and all the big twists are telegraphed way too far in advance. But I gave it three stars because it really does get much better as things progress, and there's this moment toward the end of the book that feels so heartbreaking and true, and that moment made me love Meagan Spooner (genuinely love her) because it takes a very specific kind of mind to write so ...more
AH
Initial Thoughts: It was hard to get into this book. I had forgotten a lot of the first book and I was a little confused. There was a bit of predictability to the plot so no surprises there. Still - an OK book. Do not read this series out of order - the first book is Skylark.

My Review:
For a much anticipated sequel, Shadowlark had big shoes to fill. I enjoyed the world of the first book Skylark and I was very excited to get an advance copy of Shadowlark. The thing is, I really did not enjoy Shad
Kimberly Souza
Jul 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
“Shadowlark” by, Meagan Spooner
(This is the second book in a trilogy so it contains spoilers.)

Lark Ainsley has left the Iron Wood behind her with Tansy and Nix in tow. She is more determined than ever to find her brother Basil and finally figure out what was done to her by the architects. When the trio wanders into a town that has been overrun by shadow people they try to make a run for it. Trapped by the shadows and fearing the worst, Lark and Tansy are unexpectedly saved by shadow Oren. Just
May 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shadowlark is a great second installment in an original dystopian series. The book market has been flooded with dystopian books on the heels of The Hunger Games' success, with mixed results. Skylark and its sequel land firmly on the "good" side.

Skylark takes place in a post-apocalyptic world, in which magic has destroyed the atmosphere. While everyone is born with a certain amount of magical ability, most of it gets used up in one way or another. Our protagonist, Lark, was raised in a city in wh
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)

Meagan Spooner’s debut novel, Skylark charmed me enough that I was in her signing line at BEA about an hour early. Now, part of that was that it was the last day and I wanted to sit down, but I also didn’t want to miss seeing Meagan. Though Skylark didn’t achieve a ranking among my very favorite books, I was quite impressed with Spooner’s descriptions and, above all, unique world building. That tradition continues in Shadowlark with the addition of stronger character arcs.

Read the full
Regina
Nov 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
I need this book NAO! With a good dose of Oren and Nix!

UPDATE:

TO BE REVIEWD.
Anne
RECENZE NA BLOGU

Tedy... otevřeně doznávám, že druhou polovinu knihy jsem prolétala očima a četla jen tak, abych věděla o co právě jde. Nemůžu si pomoct, ale tato série jde mimo mě. Hlavní hrdinka na můj vkus mění své nápady a názory tak rychle, že nestíhám sledovat, proč to vlastně udělala takhle. Její chování je fakt na ránu, hlavně taky proto, jak se chová k Orenovi.

(view spoiler)
Jilly
Dec 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, dystopia, y-a
Another second book that was better than the first.

First off, we get to see yet another society in this dystopian world, Lethe, which is named after the mythical river in Hades that the dead in the underworld would drink from in order to forget their former lives. I found a lot of Lethe interesting, along with Basil's journal. The truth was certainly in there. She just couldn't see it.

I also like how Lark is starting to broaden her mind. She is not willing to give up Oren, she accepts homosexual
Kristy Sartain- Whispering Pretty Stories Reviews
A fitting 2nd book to this white-knuckled trilogy. Lark continues her journey to find her brother. She now has to deal with what her power actually is and what she can do. Luckily, she has help on the way to discovering both her own powers and the mystery of where Basil has gone.

Still, my favorite character is Nix. He provides that R2-D2 comic relief and common sense. Although I’m still trying to wrap my head around the level of dystopia this trilogy contains, the world makes a little more sens
Vendea
Byla jsem v pokušení dát i pět, ale to si schováme až pro poslední díl. Ze začátku jsem měla trochu problém s orientací, jelikož jsem první díl četla už dávno, a tak jsem si moc věcí nepamatovala. Navíc taky trvalo, než se děj pořádně rozjel. Co se ale dělo pak... to teda sakra stálo za to. Autorčin svět je prostě skvěle originální - ty věcí s magií jsou jedna velká senzace. A pak tu máme Orena. Prostě Oren ♥

4.5/5*
Meagan Spooner
Apr 23, 2012 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: books-i-wrote
Hi guys! Just wanted to let you know that if you're a book blogger/librarian/bookseller or other such wonderful creature, you can now get SHADOWLARK on NetGalley! You can go here to request it. Happy reading!

Alyssa

Summary (from Goodreads):

Eva
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Byla jsem pěkně vyklepaná. Děj se teď odehrával v mnohem klaustrofobnějším prostředí, asi díky tomu mi i příběh připadal ponuřejší, i když ve skutečnosti takový nebyl. Děly se špatné věci na základě dobrých úmyslů, na světlo světa vyplouvala tajemství, která by lidé radši nechali spát, názory se měnily na obě strany a kdo ví, kdo má pravdu? Sejde na tom, nebo je to o tom dělat v danou chvíli to nejlepší, co umíme a čeho jsme schopní?
Anna (Enchanted by YA)
I think Meagan Spooner must pride herself on being able to shock her readers into gaping at her books like goldfish because it didn’t just happen in Skylark. She lulls us as readers into a false sense of security, where you’re nodding along thinking it all makes sense and you know what will happen with not a thread of doubt. Then BAHM! You don’t.

I have given up trying to work out which characters are bad/good, never mind their motives because every, single time I was wrong. You’d think I’d learn
Shelley
*Genre* YA Dystopian
*Rating* 3-3.5

*My Thoughts*

As the sequel to Skylark, Shadowlark has some pretty big shoes to fill. Skylark's world building and creativity was pretty amazing and original in my opinion and I was expecting nothing less for Shadowlark. The question with so called sequels is whether or not they will actually succeed in capturing the reader's attention enough so that you are left wanting to finish the trilogy and not just give up on it totally because it falls flat on its face.

La
Eric
Jan 03, 2014 rated it liked it
There is something endearing about Lark. I really like her story and it keeps me interested but I struggle with the moment when I see the path she logically needs to take and for some reason she just doesn't see it. It's not like she purposefully chooses another option or avoids it's completely it's more like she takes a little roundabout before she gets on it with just to make sure it's really going to go down like that. Also it took me a little while to remember who didn't make it out alive fr ...more
April
Oct 12, 2012 rated it liked it
3.5
Last summer, I read Meagan Spooner’s debut novel, Skylark and fell in love a little bit. Then this summer I read her sophomore work, These Broken Stars, co-written with Amie Kaufmann and basically decided it was one of my 2013 favorites. And thus it was with great anticipation that I read Shadowlark, the sequel to Skylark. Friends, while I do not think Shadowlark is as good as Skylark OR These Broken Stars, I absolutely do not regret my time reading it and in fact I am super pumped up for the
Lily Reviews
May 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Ah. May. Zing.

I loved book one of this series and I was sooooo excited to get approved for book two. It didn't let me down. With rich, poetic language perfectly matched to book one, Skylark, this book took me deeper into Lark's world. In this book she ventures to a mysterious, underground city in search of her brother, and finds so much more than that. I know that sounds pretty vague, but I don't want to go into too much detail. If you've read book one, then I can assure you Lark continues on he
Bethany Hagen
Sep 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shadowlark brings in even more the stuff I loved about Skylark. Spooner's amazing world-building is displayed here with the underground city of Lethe, made of half-crushed buildings and scavenged pieces from the metropolis above it. Once again, magic, steampunk elements and dystopia are combined a swirled together to make an unforgettable novel. I can't wait for the third!
Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
Review (and Giveaway!) to come on the 27th, as part of the blog tour!
Amy
Sep 25, 2013 rated it liked it
loved it. #3 just arrived today!
Nov 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, bea
A bit of a slow start but it really picked up halfway through. I liked Lark's growth throughout the book and I'm interested to see how this all ends.
Katie
Jun 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Snad jediná dystopie, u které se mi druhý díl líbil víc než ten první. Navíc mám slabost pro řecké báje, takže čtyři hvězdičky za pověst o Prométheovi.
Majka Danihelová
Áááááááá, kde mám pokračovanie?!
Je to skvelé. Nádherný svet a opisy, hlavná hrdinka vo veľkom nakopáva zadky a Oren...
Človek nič viac k životu nepotrebuje. :D
Damali
Jan 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Freakishly good and fun story.
Luthien