Start by marking “El suspiro” as Want to Read:
El suspiro

El suspiro

Rosa es la hija más guapa e inteligente de un rico mercader. Por un capricho del destino, se enamora tan profundamente de un príncipe que decide venderse como esclava para encontrar una cura a su terrible desgracia. Ah, un suspiro y la vida pasa...
Paperback, 1ª edición, 56 pages
Published 2011 by Norma Editorial (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about El suspiro, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about El suspiro

Start your review of El suspiro
Bahar Jaberi
The story is not original. Samad Behrangi also has it in his Azarbaijan stories anthology. In Persian, it has so many different kinds of connotation and symbolism that was lost in translation. Awkward translation went hand in hand with the strange mix of modern day drawings that had little to do with the old world feel of the story. As you can see I am disappointed and expected so much more from Satrapi who is an icon for me. I unfortunately can only afford two stars.
Akylina
Marjane Satrapi is mostly known for 'Persepolis', a work I have not had the opportunity to read yet. I thought 'The Sigh' might be a good introduction to her work, given its short length, but I was slightly disappointed. First of all, this is not a graphic novel but rather an illustrated fairytale. The story was pleasant but nothing too impressive. It is certainly a quick and easy read, but nothing sort of life-changing.
Tahereh
I am looking it this story with an adult eye. Last time I have read it, it was a SAMAD BEHRANGI collection and I was a hothead teenager with revolutionary ideas. Now it seems a grownup story with different meaning layer upon layer of hidden meaning
I wish Ms Satrapi re-write this story from a modern perspective instead of only directly translate the original BEHRANI version
Laura Zurowski
I'm such a fan of Marjane Satrapi's other books that I didn't think twice about shelling out $10 for The Sigh at my local bookstore. The Persepolis series? A thought-provoking historical and personal narrative. Chicken With Plums? A heartbreaking romantic tale of Byron-esque proportions. Embroideries? A funny, insightful exploration of female relationships. The Sigh? Ummmm.... a prettily illustrated fairy tale of sorts about a woman who feels a need to punish herself after accidentally harming ...more
Lucy
May 07, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

Wow. I really didn't like this. I picked it up because the cover is beautiful and it's a short book. I bought this at a used book store, so I'm unsure if it is generally for younger audiences, but even that is still terrible.

This is the most instalove story I've read in a long time and the main genre I read is YA, so that is hard to do... if this is for kids, I get it. The story has to move along quickly so they don't get bored BUT SERIOUSLY IT'S WAY TOO WEIRD.

Just in case you want to read
Jackie B. - Death by Tsundoku
The Sigh tells the story of Rose, the youngest daughter of a merchant who promises to bring his daughter's heart's desires upon returning from his travels. When he returns, he was unable to being the seed of a blue bean that Rose requested. In her disappointment, she lets out a deep sign which summons Ah the Sigh from the Kingdom of Sighs. Ah offers Rose's father the gift. He accepts, offering anything in return. We can see where this is going...

As we can expect, Ah returns in a year and
Safaneh
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
It is a beautiful story, but I am very disappointed that Satrapi has not mentioned that this book is a rendition of several very old Iranian stories.
Lauren Kelsen
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I never thought I’d read a Teen/Adult “picture book” aka graphic novel. What a marvelous story, so cleverly written. The meaning hit me right in the feels. Everyone should read this, it brings to mind what is important in life.
Meepelous
Not having read the original fairy tail - I don't think anyway - I feel a little ham-stringed but I really want to get back in the swing of reviewing things, so here goes!

Disclaimer: Do not pick up this book if you are expecting everything Satrapi does to resemble Persepolis, The Sigh is a completely different story and you may be sourly disappointed.

Unlike some of Satrapi's other works, The Sigh is an all ages illustrated traditional fairy tale. The key word here being traditional. Heads up,
Sam Quixote
Rose is the youngest of three daughters of a merchant who brings back presents for his daughters when he goes on his business trips. Except the one time when Rose asks him for a blue bean, he returns empty handed. And then there is a knock on the door. A strange spirit-like creature called Ah has the blue bean. From there, Rose will go on a journey that will take in a magical kingdom, a kidnapped prince, a dragon, a Bandit Queen, and true love...

Marjane Satrapi's latest book isn't a comic book
Margaret
The Sigh is a fairy tale about the youngest of three daughters. It starts similarly to Beauty and the Beast, and then moves to another fairy tale type--where the wife accidentally does something to her husband when she shouldn't (exposed him to light when she was warned not too, takes something magical away from him, etc.) and then has to save him/bring him back to life (there are several of these tale types).

I liked the fairy tale well enough, though it was a bit predictable. But I was
Hans
Nov 27, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
(3.5 stars) I always enjoy Marjane Satrapi's voice, constructed from her drawings and her words. In the other books that I have read, the drawings are the force that propels the story. This is the first book that has the feeling of a story that she illustrated. More to the point, the drawings don't seem to have an even pacing throughout the book. Towards the end, the drawings are less frequent and smaller, as if she discovered that the book was going to be a lot longer than intended if she ...more
Faa
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you read Marjane's Persepolis 1 & 2, The Sigh might be a bit disappointment for you. The plot and the drawings are definitely not the same as those 2 previous books. The Sigh is a leisure reading, for those who need a break from heavy reading and any reader can finish the whole book in one day. The Sigh narrated on the power of love, loyalty, patience and kindness. From my point of view as a reader, The Sigh is another escapism from those thick books on my reading shelf, waiting dearly ...more
Gassy Traoré
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! Although it is far from the splendid full edition of Persepolis. I had the pleasure to hear once more Marjane's voice but in a different context. It is a beautiful metaphoric folktales on life and humanity. However, I believe that in its original language it'd be much better. I'll also read it in French! It is magical and enchanting for children but really does teach important lessons to adults. The cover is a beauty. Everytime, I took it out somewhere to read a page or two, people ...more
Jenny
Aug 11, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely not my favorite Satrapi, but it's interesting enough to keep me reading.
Only read this if you have an open mind; if you expect it to be like Persepolis, you will be disappointed. Also, only read this if you enjoy fairy tales and won't take offense at the seeming misogyny. The story is a retelling of a well-known tale and is not meant to be taken as a reflection of Satrapi's sociopolitical views by any means.
Marilyn
Sep 18, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A familiar story which could have been interesting if presented more critically, more subversively, but unfortunately it was just... misogynist. The villains were all women, with stereotypical motives and offenses. The only viable reward for a woman's good behavior was marriage. The main character's arc was driven by men - men's decisions and men's well-being. Very disappointing.
Nikki
Dec 21, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little weird, but perfectly compatible with current trends in fairy tales. I wonder if anyone will throw a fit about the prince's nighstalking ways, or if Satrapi is too much cooler than Stephenie Meyer to get the criticism.
Katharina
I'm trying to appreciate this for the fairy tale it is, but.... could we do it with a little less selling-women-as-slaves and fathers and husbands fighting over who owns a daughter?
There were beautiful elements to this story, no doubt, but I expected more/something else from Satrapi.
Pretty short book compared to her other book. But it was cute.
Joanna
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful story about the importance of love and how fleeting life can be.
Patricia
A Persian fairy tale illustrated by the wonderful Marjane Satrapi. Mysterious--maybe a bit creepy--and dreamlike with a young woman protagonist who takes action, plus a romantic ending.
Nouruddine
Ah! This is so sweet! I like Marjane's drawings and her ideas of picturing.

***

The beginning of the narration is so captivating:

***

Coloured picturing is as beautiful as black and white of Satrapi's style of sketching:

***

The storyline is cute but it lacks the communications between plot threads as it goes with folk and fairy tales:

Well! What a luxury!

***

Life is just a sigh, but love doesn't die:

Elizabeth
If I were to rank the books I had read this year by how pretty the covers are, The Sigh would easily make the top ten. Unfortunately I can't exactly say the same about the contents.

The illustrations are quite lovely, as I would expect in reading something from Satrapi. From what I have read elsewhere, the story of The Sigh is a re-telling of an Iranian fairy tale, which drew me in as much as the gorgeous cover. I honestly went in with rather high expectations (Marjane Satrapi telling an Iranian
Cassie-la
Jun 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-reads
REVIEW ALSO ON: http://www.dailyblam.com/news/2011/12...

Once upon a time a widowed man had three daughters who he each granted three wishes. The youngest daughter, Rose, wishes for the seed of a blue bean, the consequences of which take her on a fantastical adventure with Ah the Sigh. This illustrated short story by Persepolis author Marjane Satrapi is an all ages feel good tale about life and love.

This is a classic fairy tale at its best, complete with a whimsical storyline, a moral, and the
Milliebot
This review and others posted over at my blog

The Sigh is a fairy tale and, as the back of the book proclaims, “contains content suitable for readers of all ages” so you could even read it to a child as a bedtime story. The general outline is a familiar one – a father has three daughters, each of whom asks for a gift when he returns from his journey. Unable to procure the gift his youngest, Rose, wishes for, she sighs and thus, The Sigh is called. He gives her the gift she wanted and in exchange
Orbs n Rings
Dec 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Beautiful book with meaningful lessons befit more for teens, young adult and an adult audience.

When I decided to give The Sigh a review I was not completely sure what the book was about other than it was sort of a fairy tale. The Sigh is an edgy sort of a Cinderella type story but slightly more on the darker side. The main character, Rose, has three sisters with her being the most beautiful of the bunch. The girl's mother has died and the father Papa, who is a merchant, travels to far-away lands
Adam Witt
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To see a great artist experiment is always its own kind of joy, and that's exactly what Marjane Satrapi brings to the table with The Sigh. She takes the very steep turn from autobiography, in an incredibly-proficient graphic novel format, into a mishmash of prose and illustration. This is, by all appearances, a Satrapi fairy tale.

It evokes a book for very young readers, but never feels as though it's talking down or, even, aiming at a particular audience. There are echoes of Cinderella in the
Rachael
Marjane Satrapi is one of my favorite memoirists. "Persepolis" and "Persepolis 2" are on my continual reading lists. I didn't even realize Satrapi had released "The Sigh" at the end of 2011 until I came across a brief reference in a newspaper. I bought it as soon as I learned it was available.

One positive: It's a quick read! I'm quite busy right now so I gained a sense of accomplishment by being able to read an entire book in about half an hour. The book transported me back to my childhood days,
Story
Jan 04, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Those familiar with folklore and its categorization will recognize the framework used in the Cupid & Psyche tale (Aarne Thompson 425), but this story's variations from it are surprising and pleasing. I appreciate that certain characteristics of the story's figures are not commented on: Rose's eldest sister, Orchid, is ugly (and that is likely why she wants the peacock gown), but never is that a moralistic trait. In other words, ugly does not mean stupid or evil. It is simply treated as a ...more
Paul Eckert
Apr 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Sigh is probably the weakest work I've read by Marjane Satrapi, and I mean that as a compliment. There's something magical about her stories that captures me, and so far she can do no wrong in my eyes.

The Sigh is a whimsical fairy tale about an otherworldly being called "Sigh" that appears when someone sighs with longing. After he grants a man's wish, the Sigh comes calling for him to return the favor by giving over one of his daughters, and the fulfillment of this obligation sets in motion
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Homecoming
  • Alligators All Around
  • The Lady and the Lion: A Brothers Grimm Tale
  • Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas: Zero's Journey Issue #1
  • The Nightmare Before Christmas (B&N Exclusive Edition)
  • Diwali
  • Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas: Zero's Journey Book One
  • Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas: Zero's Journey Issue #2
  • Nightmare Before Christmas: Zero's Journey
  • Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas: Zero's Journey Book Two
  • I Remember Beirut
  • You Read to Me, I'll Read to You: Very Short Fairy Tales to Read Together
Marjane Satrapi (Persian: مرجان ساتراپی) is an Iranian-born French contemporary graphic novellist, illustrator, animated film director, and children's book author. Apart from her native tongue Persian, she speaks English, Swedish, German, French and Italian.

Satrapi grew up in Tehran in a family which was involved with communist and socialist movements in Iran prior to the Iranian Revolution. She
“Whether this tale be true or false, none can tell, for none were there to witness it themselves.” 10 likes