Start by marking “Age of Miracles” as Want to Read:
Age of Miracles

Age of Miracles

A shorter version was printed by Ace Books in 1965 under the title of "Day of the Star Cities."
Mass Market Paperback, First Ace Printing, 300 pages
Published May 1973 by Ace (first published 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Age of Miracles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Age of Miracles

Start your review of Age of Miracles
Ubik 2.0
aggiornamento vecchio libro letto chissà quando
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
Oct 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: sf
review of
John Brunner's Age of Miracles
by tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE - October 23, 2014

I didn't start reading anything by Brunner until February of 2013. The 1st bk of his I read being The World Swappers (my review's here: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23... ). In the summer of the same yr I went to Frederick, MD, to go to Wonder Books. I went prepared with a list of the 9 Brunner bks I had (all of wch I'd read by then) so that I cd get every Brunner bk that they had that I didn't
Adam
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An odd ride without a great deal of wonder or action. It was a bit like a live action history book covering a story of human determanism starkly contrasted with human mysery and evil.
Steve Wasling
As the second John Brunner book I've read, I think Age of Miracles has made me realise that I like what he writes about far more than the way he writes. Although the way people talk and their attitudes rather badly dates this story, the sense of the aliens power and strangeness still comes across very well, as does the sense that they pay about as much attention to us as we do to insects.

As in the other Brunner book I've read (The Sheep Look Up), I've found myself utterly unable to remember who
Keith
This seems like something of a step backward from literature to pulp coming in the wake of Zanzibar and Sheep, though he makes up for the arguable misstep with Shockwave a couple years later. Still, it's amusing enough, with a bit of mystery at play, and even some police procedural elements, with a dash of international intrigue, and hits again on some of his then-current themes, including the perennial nuclear threat. Not formula by any stretch, but not brilliant either.
Peter
Dec 12, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, read-in-2010
I find Brunner novels to be a bit more optimistic about the future than some other novels of the same period. This one though has a somewhat more dreary tone than his other novels. Mysterious alien 'cities' appear in five locations throughout the world, causing havoc and the usual xenophobia. Should man respond with violence or peace? He ties up the story in an interesting way, with a little more action than usual, but the overall tone is pessimistic. He does include his usual emphasis on themes ...more
Natasha Hurley-Walker
Reminded me of The Chronoliths,but was even more underwhelming. The characters are one-dimensional, except for the women, who are point-like objects (radio astronomy joke, ho ho). I much prefer Brunner's later, anthropo-apocalyptic stories such as The Sheep Look Up and Stand on Zanzibar.
Sam
May 30, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
More simplistic than Stand on Zanzibar, and it noticeably runs as fast as it can to end at 300 pages. Still, an enjoyable story, an interesting mystery, and a hopeful ending lead me to recommend it. You won't find the deep moral questions and crazy lingo of Zanzibar, but you will find a nice little story.
Erik Graff
Aug 02, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Brunner fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
As ever, John Brunner's books reflect a greater social and ethical consciousness than is found in most science fiction and, so, are generally superior as regards meaning and relevance.
Ray Ogar
Jun 04, 2018
Lysergius
Dec 10, 2011
Gerri Balter
rated it did not like it
Jun 07, 2014

• A Martian Odyssey
  • The House on the Borderland
  • The Ideal
  • The Singapore Grip
  • The Wizard of Venus (Venus, #5)
  • The Siege of Krishnapur
  • The Miniaturist
  • Escape on Venus (Venus, #4)
John Brunner was born in Preston Crowmarsh, near Wallingford in Oxfordshire, and went to school at St Andrew's Prep School, Pangbourne, then to Cheltenham College. He wrote his first novel, Galactic Storm, at 17, and published it under the pen-name Gill Hunt, but he did not start writing full-time until 1958. He served as an officer in the Royal Air Force from 1953 to 1955, and married Marjorie ...more