Start by marking “Slow and Steady Get Me Ready for Kindergarten: 260 Activities to Do with Your Child from Age 0 to 5” as Want to Read:

Looking for quick, engaging activities to prepare your child for kindergarten? Spend a few minutes a day with your child in productive, interactive play with Slow and Steady Get Me Ready For Kindergarten!

Slow and Steady Get Me Ready For Kindergarten abounds with hands-on developmental activities that parents can do with their children between the ages of 0 and 5 years old
Published December 1st 2002 by Xulon Press (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Slow and Steady Get Me Ready for Kindergarten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slow and Steady Get Me Ready for Kindergarten

Start your review of Slow and Steady Get Me Ready for Kindergarten: 260 Activities to Do with Your Child from Age 0 to 5
Kristin
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book inspired me to start incorporating some simple, developmentally appropriate learning activities into our day. Nothing about this book is fancy or Pinterest worthy, but it is very worthy of reading! It would be a great book to send home with parents from the hospital when baby is born.

Although my children naturally seemed to learn many of the skills in this book, I love the concrete activities that take only a few minutes, with results: Our two year old is now singing the alphabet (som
Kendra
Oct 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was interested in this book because my 2 year old daughter spoke really well but was uncoordinated. Borrowing the book from the library gave me some ideas to try to improve her motor skills, but owning a copy would be much more beneficial.
Amy Joy
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
The book is slightly outdated. Some of the activities involve things that aren’t as readily available as they were 25 years ago. There is still enough description though to find a new item and complete those activities. Overall it gave me great ideas for helping my toddler learn.
Esther May
This book has one activity per day from birth to age 5. There are some fun ideas to do with your kids. I enjoyed reading through them. It is really good for little babies since many people don't know what to do with their really little guys.
Melissa
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
The writing is a bit convoluted in places, but it is an excellent resource! It would be great as a series of blog posts or a Youtube channel.
Ebookwormy1
May 29, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ebookwormy1 by: Carmen Wyatt
My friend referred me to this book. I LOVE it. Each week has a lesson that requires simple household items and a small bit of preparation. Lessons are practical, and the instructor shares with you what the child is to take out of the lesson. Skills are repeated.

We started my son on it right away! The one discouragement for me is that my boy is over 2 and the book starts at birth! I did feel a little behind! I decided to start about where he should be and then work forward for new lessons and bac
Heidi
Jul 16, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
I believe this book was referenced in "The Well-Trained Mind" as a good resource for preparing children for kindergarten. I checked it out to see if it was worth buying and only had time to flip through it before I needed to return it.

It wasn't as advanced as I had expected and I felt like most of the skills being taught (especially in the first two years) would be acquired naturally in a home environment rich in play, book-reading and social interaction, so the extra effort to directly teach th
Angelia
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book has a lot of great ideas for learning games to play with your child from newborn to age 4+! It even has ideas to improve on the skills learned to challenge your child further,and ideas if your child is really interested in the lesson.I wish I would have known about this sooner because it goes up to almost five years old and my son is now almost five.But some of the games for younger kids can be played by older kids so I got a lot of good ideas .Anyone with a young child should read thi ...more
Trace
May 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-book-list
We just love this book...

We are getting back on track with the activities from this book. I just love the frugal activity suggestions that address appropriate developmental phases. And Luke usually loves each activity. If you do read this book... don't let the simplicity of the activities fool you... they are usually perfectly age appropriate.. and they are not all that simple for the children...

Amanda Willis
Dec 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful weekly activities for children, newborn-age 5! I'm a nanny and we're using this with the 10 1/2 month old little boy I care for. We're on week 47, and loving it so far. The developmental activities help keep you on track with progression through traditional play and activities vs allowing computer games & television shows to take over the teaching. I highly recommend this book as a resource and will definitely hang onto it for when I have children of my own! ...more
Sherri
Oct 05, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents of young children
This is an excellent resource for educational and developmental activities you can do with your baby, starting the first week after birth and going through age 5. There is one activity per week-- all are fun and most use objects you find around the house. It's like a do-it-yourself preschool program.
Katelyn
Oct 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really liked how this book is set up! Easy simple things you can do with your child every week (or every day if playing catch up). I think is going to be one I will need to buy! I did some with my girls and we had a great time, and they surprised me by being able to do what the little "games" were. This is home learning and improving your child made easy!
Elizabeth
Jan 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
I've started working from this book with each of the boys, and it's been fun. It has excellent ideas for how to guide your children 5 yrs old and younger through each successive developmental milestone. I'm excited to start this with the baby!
Shiv
Feb 06, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: child-raising
after the first 6 to 9 months, TJ's development was clear and compelling enough that he came up with his own activities. i might flip through this from time to time, but it's collecting dust most of the time.
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011, activities-play
I can't rave enough about this book. I love the simplicity of these activities - 9 out of 10 of the activities can be pulled together with supplies I already have on hand. I also really like that you always know the purpose of the activities and what skills/senses/etc. your child is developing.
Heather
Apr 17, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: we-own-this
It is an interesting concept: work with your child on one new skill every week from birth thru age 5, so (s)he will be ready for school.

I got this when my youngest was 3 1/2 or 4, and found that my kids had acquired most of these skills thru just living our lives.
Tina
Jan 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: homeschooling
This is a great resource book. It really helps parents to understand how to help little ones meet all their milestones. I wish I had read it when I had #1. This would make a great gift for a new mom.
Vivi
Oct 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, parenting
Although I don't do this weekly, I find myself keep going back to this book for ideas. Especially now I have 2 kids, I am trying to find specific activities for the little one that could also be done at the same time with big sis.
Asriel
Mar 19, 2012 added it
Shelves: home-heart
Simple activities that aid parents in guiding their 0-5 year old's development. Easy activities that stimulate cognitive development and create wonderful bonding time with your child. Stress free and fundamental for every child. Highly recommend for any parent.
Oct 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Good ideas but it needs updating.
JaNae
Jan 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
So many great developmentally appropriate ideas to use when I'm stuck in a rut playing with my kids!
Genet
May 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Useful ideas. Liked reading through it. Haven't used it as much as I thought I would.
Jess
May 28, 2008 rated it liked it
This book is great. It needs real photos though.
Lachmi
Jun 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great activities...Need to reference again when she is a bit older.
Tiffany
Apr 06, 2015 rated it liked it
A lot of good ideas, I'm just not sure I agree with how drawn out the timing is.
Feb 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone with preschoolers and babies
Working through this book here and there...I look forward to being a little bit better about it during the summer when school will slow down with the olders...
Ashley
Jun 18, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: preschool-set
Nice suggestions for daily activities from birth to age 5- probably a great gift for a new parent, particularly one who is interested in a classical education (i.e., the trivium).
Marissa Morrison
Aug 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This looks like a gem of a book, with so many activities that it should be owned rather than borrowed from the library. Wish I'd known about it sooner.
Michele
Jun 01, 2016 added it
Shelves: 2016-books
Day by day lesson ideas from ages 0 to 4.

Not a good fit for me - lesson ideas are very general - introduce letter, make a letter puppet. No reproducibles or craft ideas.
Jean Myers
Apr 10, 2020

• The O'Brien Book of Irish Fairy Tales and Legends
  • The Next Conservatism
  • Robinson Crusoe
  • Elderberries: The Beginner's Guide to Foraging, Preserving and Using Elderberries for Health Remedies, Recipes, Drinks and More
  • Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's
  • Everything That Remains: A Memoir by the Minimalists
  • Longing for a Longarm: Should You Buy a Longarm Quilting Machine?
  • Esther: It's Tough Being a Woman [With 6 DVDs and Leader Guide, Member Book]
  • Emotions & Essential Oils: A Modern Resource for Healing
  • Girls with the Grandmother Faces
  • The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading
  • March: Book Three (March, #3)
  • The Well-Trained Mind: A Guide to Classical Education at Home
  • The Warden and the Wolf King (The Wingfeather Saga #4)
  • The Complicated Heart: Loving Even When It Hurts
  • The Gifts of Imperfect Parenting: Raising Children with Courage, Compassion, and Connection
  • Dear Martin (Dear Martin, #1)