Start by marking “Builder Goose: It's Construction Rhyme Time!” as Want to Read:
Builder Goose: It's Construction Rhyme Time!

Builder Goose: It's Construction Rhyme Time!

One, two, here comes the crew!
Three, four, here come more...

With three dump trucks, an itsy-bitsy skid steer, and a host of other equipment, there's a whole lot of building going on here! Amusing construction-themed nursery rhymes--each based on a Mother Goose favorite--feature diggers, graders, crushers, cranes, jackhammers, forklifts, and wrecking balls. With br
Published February 7th 2012 by Sterling Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Builder Goose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Builder Goose

Kristy
Jul 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Though it is not the usual type of book I review, I feel I would be remiss if I did not provide feedback for "Builder Goose". After all, I have read it at least 3 times daily for the last 9 weeks (I know this exact period of time because we are nearing the expiration of the third library renewal)."Builder Goose" rewrites several well-known nursery rhymes to have construction site themes instead. There is nothing groundbreaking here, but my 3 year-old is in love with this wretched book and now no ...more
Melissa
So I guess the world really didn't NEED another subject-specific Mother Goose makeover, but a big shiny gold star to Builder Goose anyway, for doing it well. Boni Ashburn manages to keep not just the rhythm and meter of the rhymes in her revisions, but often the sense or some word choices as well. ("Crumbling bridge is falling down," "Five six, pick up bricks," "Sing a song of garbage/a bucketful of trash.") My 11-year-old poem-crazy daughter did have fun reading them and identifying the origina ...more
Jacoba
Sep 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Builder Goose: It's Construction Rhyme Time! by Boni Ashburn (2012)
Genre: Juvenile Fiction-Nursery Rhymes
Format: Book
Plot summary: Mother Goose nursery rhymes retold in a construction theme.
Considerations or precautions for readers advisory (strong language, sex, death, religious overtones, violence, etc.): No special considerations
Review citation (if available):Peters, John. Booklist. March 01, 2012
Section source used to find the material: Booklist review
Recommen
Sarah W
A fun collection of construction themed nursery rhymes that I think preschool and kindergarten would enjoy as a read-aloud. Older children could use this as a writing prompt or fluency activity.

Once you read them out loud it is easy to figure out what rhymes and songs these were based on. It would have been helpful if these were listed right on the rhyming page.
Jo Oehrlein
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute construction/heavy-machinery themed songs/Mother Goose rhymes.

Most are pretty easy to figure out. A few are more opaque.

Most are done well (I'm a Heavy Grader and There Was an Old Foreman are both very nice), but a few are clunky (Jack and Jill's last line, for example).

It's not inherently obvious that "Sing a Song of Garbage" belongs with this set.
Annie Payne
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I think I enjoyed this one more than the kiddos, but it was fun hearing the spin on classic nursery rhymes!
Melissa
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have had to sing this book so many times I have the songs memorized. The kiddos love it!
Tabby
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
This book really tested my memory for nursery rhymes! But it was funny and surprisingly informative about construction, something my toddler enjoyed.
Kathryn Bergeron
A variety of songs and rhymes, taken from old standards, that talk about construction and trucks.
Leah
Would love to read some excerpts for storytime! Yay!
Shannon
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
I wasn't thrilled with this book. It would have been a lot nicer if each poem/rhyme listed what original rhyme it was supposed to sound like. Then there are the rhymes themselves. Some of them work alright, but a lot of them sound very forced and don't really fit with the rhyme they are trying to imitate. If your kid loves construction stuff and you've already read every other picture book with this theme, give it a try. Otherwise, pass.
Jennifer Heise
Apr 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: beekman, trucks, kids
For kids who love construction-- or who have families in the construction trades-- this collection of mother-goose rhyme pastiches is a sure winner. From laying out the plans and tasks through wheelbarrows of nails and finally cleaning up, rhymes work through the day's activities. Admittedly, the rhymes are sometimes strained, but kids will still enjoy them, along with the rounded animal figures that illustrate the text. A nice read-along.
Katy
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
the boy is in love with this book. to be honest, I picked it up because of the digger on the cover (we love diggers!), but I actually don't mind reading/singing it over and over and over. he particularly likes Roll, Roll, Roll the Road and I am particularly fond of Twinkle Twinkle Wrecking Ball.

some of the rhymes are a bit forced and don't work particularly well, but overall, a fun little read for a digger loving boy.
Heather
Sep 19, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-library
My initial reaction was ugh another reworked bunch of Mother Goose rhymes. And although I'm still not so thrilled about that I have to admit it was quite good for the fans of construction type books.... Which I am not.

Read this with both kids and O loved it. She would tell me what the original nursery rhyme was for each one.
Kendra
Mar 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Some of the songs and rhymes seem a little forced, but that almost makes them better. More absurd somehow. My favorite is a tie between Twinkle, Twinkle, Wrecking Ball and The Itsy Bitsy Skid Steer. Oh boy. I could see prechoolers thinking this was funny and toddlers just enjoying staring at construction equipment while mom and dad sing to them about it.
Round Lake Area Public Library
A fun spin on classic nursery rhymes like Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, Row, Row, Row Your Boat and London Bridge is Falling Down. These classics all take on a new form when they are put to construction themes. They may even become some of your new favorites.
Sara
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you have a kiddo who loves construction, this is a great book. Each page is about a construction vehicle and is written in a familiar verse like Rock a Bye Baby or Baa Baa Black Sheep. My two year old wants to read it almost every day and I like it, too.
Terri
Jun 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: child-lit, cpl
This is a little collection of rhymes based on classic Mother Goose, but altered to fit an animal-run construction site. I found that I rushed to get through it and couldn't make myself read it a second time.
Mary
This is a unique and interesting book about construction vehicles and the people who work on construction sites. It is written for ECE age because on each page, there is a traditional nursery rhyme that has been rewritten to reflect the feeling of construction. The pictures are cute, too!
Read  Ribbet
How about Mother Goose rhymes redone for heavy duty machinery and construction workers. Adding to a growing body of machinery books with possible song parodies from singable verses, not a bad volume to add to a collection for young children.
Aleece
Mar 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Barbara
Apr 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: story-time
Adding this to my list of "anytime I need a fill in" for story time.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
A play on traditional nursery rhymes.
Niki (Daydream Reader)
Fun rhymes based on nursery rhymes....about construction.
Allison
Oct 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Another hit! Construction + Mother Goose Rhymes = A building site that rhymes!
Kate Hastings
May 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: preschool
Pre-K. There are some great construction rhymes in here for preschool storytime!
Katie
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime, childrens
Construction themed songs and rhymes, to already known tunes. Very cute!
Wendy Kuzma
May 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Traditional nursery with new words to fit a construction-based theme.
Aug 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Cute illustrations.
Common nursery rhymes with new words.
Keshia
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
better lyrics than the original nursery rhymes!!!
Boni Ashburn is the author of seven picture books, including Hush, Little Dragon and I Had A Favorite Dress. Boni lives in the Upper Peninsula Of Michigan with her four children and too many bookshelves to count.

*Please note: I give 5 stars to books I adore and MUST own, 4 stars to books that will stay with me in some way and that I almost-adore, and 3 stars to books I like. Two stars might be boo