Start by marking “Stargazing Dog” as Want to Read:
Stargazing Dog

Stargazing Dog

(星守る犬 #1)

Translated from the Japanese bestseller, this story centers on Oto-san, a man who finds himself abandoned by his family and friends with nothing in his life happening the way he had planned. He embarks on a road trip to escape it all, and he soon discovers the only one he can count on completely is his faithful, recently adopted dog, who helps him see the light at the end ...more
Published November 1st 2011 by NBM Publishing (first published 2008)

Start your review of Stargazing Dog
Lola
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, dogs
DONT read this manga if youre looking for something light, something to cheer you up, something to reinforce your idea that life is beautiful and full of flowers and unicorns.

Because you WILL cry. I warned you.

This is the heartfelt story of a lost dog who finds a wonderful family to care for him. The self-proclaiming Man of the House who is referred to as Daddy by the dog eventually ends up alone on the streets, so he and the dog embark on a little journey.

And yes, you heard right, the story is
David Schaafsma
Aug 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
A sweet and sentimental story for dog lovers (cat person here, but you know, I can translate) about a man whom we learn at the outset (so it's not a spoiler!) has been found dead, estimated more than a year, and his dog, also dead, for about 3 months. Found in an abandoned car in a field. And yep, you do the math, that faithful, stargazing dog hung around with his "Daddy" for months after he was no longer been taken for a walk. That's faithful.

So yep, this is a sad and straightforward and
Selena
This book. THIS BOOK

I will do my best to be coherent, despite looking very much like the picture above.

This book was beautiful. Not for the art (the art was no frills and not particularly pretty), but for the amount of feels. It was like...

There are two stories in this book. The first centers around Happie and his owner whom he calls "Daddy." I knew this one was going to end with me sobbing hysterically from the first few pages, but I went through with it anyway. It left me sobbing through the
Shannon
I should've known looking at the cover of this book that it wouldn't go well for me. Look at that puppy's innocent smile. Just look at it. This reminded me of the legend of Hachiko and also the Futurama episode, "Jurassic Bark" which to this day I have to immediately turn off whenever I see the beginning. I just can't get through that episode without breaking down (honestly, just thinking about it makes me sad.)

I have to deduct a star though because they flipped this manga. All of the signs and
Emma
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Oh gosh, what a story. I knew everyone said this book was going to be good but I wasn't expecting to find such a tale of friendship and loyalty between a man and his dog. I felt deeply sorry for how the man was treated by his family and I was relieved to see he had a companion in Happy, the dog. Just a suggestion: if you decide to read this manga, get yourself some tissues, trust me!
Carla Castilla
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
English
Even just remembering this story makes me break into tears and create a river of tears around.

It is a beautiful short story, but soon it gives you to stay stuck in your heart like a thorn. It is the first comic with which I venture and left me with a very good taste. I could not like it more, even five stars seem few.

This story shows us true love, which is none other than the one that arises from an owner-pet relationship. Dogs are the most faithful being on the planet, and here is more
Flor
Wholesome af.
I'm freakin' crying.
Stella
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The image of a dog gazing at the stars as if he wanted to reach them is the metaphor of those who dream with the impossible. Hoshi mamuro inu or The stargazing dog is one of the most beautiful stories I have ever read. Takashi Murakami has crafted and incredible and magnificent story on the topics of love, friendship, death, isolation, family, solitude, abandonment and joy. The characters are common people, nothing extraordinary, nothing beyond reality; they are so simple and yet so human that ...more
Amanda
Jan 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Such a heartbreaking story about a dog and its owner. This was a library discard that looked intriguing and is my second short book of the year.
Arminzerella
Heather
Jul 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Some may see this as purely a dog story, but the authors own words say otherwise. This is a story about a man who was cast off by society, because in the author's words, he cannot adapt to change. The presence of the dog helps highlight the man's kindness, and his undeserving of his ultimate fate. The dog provides this man love and acceptance when he has been pushed away by everyone else. He is not a burden to the dog, and the dog is not a burden to him.

Perhaps the greatest thing to take away
Ryan
Nov 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Like so many things Japanese this story required a lot of reading that which is absent. A melancholy portrait of social isolation juxtaposed with the unconditional love, longevity and elasticity of nature.
Ruby Huang
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I seldom watch graphic novels in for reading, until I saw this book which was translated from Japanese. I have been attracted by its cover on a dogs innocent smiling in around of sunflower garden, which is not fit with the title of the book; the stargazing dog. It was really a heartwarming story about the relationship between a man with a loyalty dog. A man whos been abandoned from his family, with no money, no friends and nothing in his life, with all his life with a dog. They start with a road ...more
Samuele
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow.
I read some reviews before reading this manga and many said that this was just a sad story that will not make you cry.
Well, duck you, fools.
THIS MANGA IS LIKE HAVING A KNIFE IN YOUR HEART, IN YOUR NECK AND IN YOUR SOUL.
Either you have or not a dog, it will make you think about what is like to have one and to care about him/her. This story is about the unconditional love of dogs and how they will always be there for you.
If you want to cry your eyes out, well, youre welcome.
Its so lovely and
Garrett
Feb 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Achingly sad, but also simple, useful, and true. Explores family bonds and societal expectations through the lens of changing times, but more to the point, looks hard at our relationships & commonalities with our dogs. It's beautiful in many ways and quick but somewhat difficult read.
Mariana Brito
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you've ever had a dog or a cat, please, read it! It's amazing how the autor have captured the feelings and personalities of the dogs, translating their thoughts so beautifully. You may cry out loud
'cause it's a quite sad story. But the sadder it takes, the prettier it becomes, too.
Chris
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Was in a reading funk and tried a graphic novel to get out of it. This one looked good from flipping through the pages but wasn't that good. I thought the end would come around in a circle but it didn't and was just like WHAT?! Maybe I missed something.
Dani (ダニ)
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Very very very sad but also beautiful
Jenifer
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Such a feel good albeit sad story. A little hard to get through some of the translation wording, but didn't distract too much from the story.
Jillian
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I rated this as "really liked it" but I didn't really like how much it made me cry (with my cat crawling all over me like WHAT IS WRONG, HUMAN?!). Y-Y

Really a beautiful story though, about how faithful and loving dogs are toward their humans, whether we deserve it or not.
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book in a long time that's made me cry.
Susu
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderfull!!! and so sad...
Paulina Sanchez
Paulina Quiroz
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is a reminder to love with all your heart and share everything with the people you love, life can be so unexpected and yet your best friend will never leave (human or canine) Love it :)
sonicbooming
Oct 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Make sure you have a box of kleenex or are alone for this read. You will have something in your eye by the end of the story. Im not going to spoiler anything so lets get it out of the way, the story begins with a rather grim scene. A squad of police officers encounter an abandoned car in a field of sunflowers with two corpses: an old man who has been dead for more than a year and a dog who has only recently died sometime within the past three months.

The story is told from the POV of a young
Kate
Apr 10, 2012 rated it liked it
This was a strange story about the life of a man whose body is found in an abandoned car, having been there for a year. Beside him is the body of a dog, which had been dead for 3 months. The man's daughter brought home the puppy, and over a short period of time the little girl grew up to be a surly teenager, and the wife grew bitter and wanted a divorce, and the man is forced to leave with a few belongings and a little money and the dog. The man and dog travel along the coast, losing things ...more
Nicki
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
This is a story about a dog that belongs to a family where the daughter grows up to be rebellious and the husband and wife divorce. The dad and the dog go off on an adventure and end their days with one another. The second part of the story is about a social worker who is trying to ID the dad after he is found by police and recollects the undying love his own dog had for him growing up.

The story is really simple and actually kind of dull. But the feeling it leaves you with after you finish the
Tatiana Alejandra de Castro Pérez
I've pick up this one on the library because the title sounded interesting... and it is but it is also very touching. On the second page we find out that the dog of the title and his master are both dead. So, you can guess.... I just love the plot, the way it is given to us, the main characters and the way the dogs are portrayed. Just lovely and I couldn't stop crying. I just want a copy for myself of this work and I MUST read something else of this author.

Con este título y esta portada tan
Rebecca Fish
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
At first glance, this graphic novel seems like a happy (pun intended) story about a cute little dog. However, the story is much darker than it looks. Beyond a story of a man and his dog, Murakami deals with advanced issues such as life and death, loyalty, the changing of the world, hope, regret, and so much more. Though this novel begins with a sad realization of the characters' fates, it is the story of how Happie and Daddy got to where they are that makes it so touching and emotional. Whether ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Josei and Seinen ...: Stargazing Dog 5 14 Jul 31, 2014 07:05PM

• 続・星守る犬
  • Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms
  • L'oiseau bleu
  • In This Corner of the World Vol. 1
  • この世界の片隅に : 中
  • この世界の片隅に : 下
  • Ce n'est pas toi que j'attendais
  • 世界の終わりと夜明け前 [Before Dawn and the End of the World]
  • Les Gardiens du Louvre
  • Quando você foi embora
  • Il sorriso dello struzzo

星守る犬 (2 books)
  • O outro cão que guarda as estrelas

News & Interviews