Start by marking “Misery” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Misery

Anton Chekhov

Misery

Published (first published January 8th 1886)

To ask other readers questions about Misery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Misery

Start your review of Misery
Nawal
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Chekhov is one of those great writers who don't merely describe reality but also adds dimension to it.
Though he intentionally refrained from delivering moral or political sermons in his literary works, Chekhov remains one of the finest moral compasses just by forcing us to examine our conceptions about life and human nature.

Written in a straightforward narrative style, the story opens with a question that encapsulates the protagonist’s struggle “To whom shall I tell my grief?”

The narrative foll
Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly
Given a modern setting he could be a cab driver. Alone now, the only family he had was his son who, now that he is old, could have replaced him in his job. But his son just died, after spending three days, feverish, in a hospital.

So here are scenes, some daily rituals of his work. In this story, though, he is not a cab driver but a sledge-driver powered by a horse. The cab/taxi during Chekhov's time. He takes in passengers, and tries to make small talk with them. The usual things, even funny thi
Hind
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Although I hardly managed to write all this and remember the points I had discussed in class during my first oral exam, I managed to get a full mark for the unworthy blather which will follow this utterly lame excuse for a weary review I discussed with my professor.
In short, here it is:

Chekhov’s short story is a lot more complex than one would think, and although the work was fairly short and perusing it did not consume more than ten minutes, I managed to extract a plethora of unarticulated fee
Ishraq
I listened to this short story as a practice on listening to Audibooks. The selection was not arbitrary, as Anton Checkov is one of my favorite Russian writers and among the greatest in literature.

This book was part of a free channel on Audible that is called "7 days of Anton Chekhov". The narrative was really amazing, the narrator practiced different voices, characters, shrugs, laughs, coughs all a long so you would feel that you are watching a play in the theater!

As for the story itself, it is
Katherine
Jun 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
What a sad story. It speaks mainly of the need to share our grief and communicate about our feelings, a theme that I feel is very relevant. In the end, the man speaks to his horse about the grief he feels over his son's loss since no one else will listen. The anti-climactic feeling of this moment was heartbreaking.
Arisarah
Dec 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: shortstories
Sad and gloomy and a hideous picture of the humanity.
Jack
Feb 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Melancholic . I had mixed feelings about this story. On one hand I liked it and thought that it was okay because it talks about reality to an extend: Selfishness to be precise. The story is a good reminder of how selfish we can be taking care of our needs without taking heed to others' anguish. However on the other hand, I thought that the story was monotonous, it had the same emphasis from the beginning to the end. Wish there were more emotions to the story.
Georgios Rizos
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible, short
I recently decided to regale myself with the experience of having read Chekhov and I picked this story as a starting point.

Daaaaang.

I am not being very innovative here, but the reason why he is considered to be a master of the craft is apparent. The story was all around wonderful - very sad, very moving. The final line was simultaneously devastating and beautiful and will definitely stay with me for a long time.

Many feels were had today and I will neither confirm nor deny a bit of welling-up at
Akrabar
Aug 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
classic Chekhov. What a brilliant story
WILLIAM
Aug 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This short story made me see in another light the random stranger who tries to strike up a conversation with you; you're just annoyed, you ignore him and wait for him to leave. The pain one can carry inside, invisible to the rest of the world, needs an outlet, the ear of another human being. Maybe next time someone tries to talk to me when social conventions say he ought not to, I'll be open to listening.
Also, this is wonderfully written. Clear, gorgeous, and imaged prose.

"His misery is immense
Serenity
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It is a well written short story. The message is quite heart- breaking. It shows how society at times can be cruel and cold to the pain of others. This is a story that makes you think and hopefully changes your heart and mind in a positive way, to make sure we listen to someone's painful story and give them comfort as best as one can when tragedy crosses their path.
Steph
Oct 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Cary
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
This could have and should have been fleshed out so much more.
Heather
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Short, classic story. No one will listen to an older man who has lost his son. Good reminder to be aware to those around you.
Anastasia
May 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-for-class
*Read for class.

That was... Depressing. Wow. Not a good bedtime read.
Maria
Jul 27, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
sad
Gopala Krishnan
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: shorts, chekhov
A heart wrenching story of how human mind seeks company in a tragic circumstances and how loniliness is ever present engulfing force is brilliantly written in this short piece by Anton chekhov
Mastoor
Oct 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: anton_chekhov
Wish we all listen to each other...
Dave
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Given the title you'd probably assume a sad story follows.
It does, but a great lesson is in store for you in how to expect to be able to deal with your grief.
Claire P
Jul 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
It’s a pretty sad but really short story. I like the brevity of it and it’s kinda deep.
Aziz Mulhim
Aug 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fucking hell Chekhov. Beautifully written and gut-wrenching
Lola
I enjoyed Misery as much as I can enjoy any piece of Russian literature, which is admittedly limited. However, I did like what Chekov did here in terms of character development. Narrowing his focus on Iona makes the story more interesting. Misery would make a great, moody short film if anyone ever felt so inclined.
Shirley
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-length, fiction
Such a sad short story. There's no real action, no drama, just an evening in a life of a sledge-driver and his horse doing their daily work. Chekhov captures this man's grief and loneliness not by outright describing it, but rather by having little outbursts of it interrupt the routine that no one else is willing to break to comfort the man. In the story, Iona's mare is the only thing under his control, willingly and even anticipating at times, which is why it is so fitting (if not a bit tragic) ...more
Natasha
Apr 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This short story is very short but has a lot of heart felt meaning, at least to me. The main character, Iona, tries to pour out his sorrow to all of the people he comes across about his son's recent death. No one is interested in listening and remark only on how everyone dies. Iona eventually takes refuge with his mare to pour out his lonely suffering to her.
Marc Gerstein
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics
Not only is this mini-short-story a brilliant portrayal of the quest and need for intimacy, it’s a magnificent demonstration of the writer’s craft, how much one can say and how powerfully it can be said with all “showing” and no “telling.”
 doda nassar
it'a very descriptive book that express the misunderstanding &lake of communication between the people ...more
Lnaz Izd
Sep 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-story
" To talk about him with someone is possible, but to think of him and picture him is insufferable anguish..."
Ezra
Oct 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes all you want is a person with an ear to lend.
Mennatullah
Dec 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Sometimes , All you Need is a Person with an Ear to Lend ..!
Eadweard
Feb 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Misery indeed, sad sad short story.

• Three Questions
  • Araby
  • God Sees the Truth, but Waits
  • Un señor muy viejo con unas alas enormes
  • Cat in the Rain
  • The Monkey's Paw
  • پوست نارنج
  • The Guest
  • The Necklace
Anton Pavlovich Chekhov (Russian: Антон Павлович Чехов ) was born in the small seaport of Taganrog, southern Russia, the son of a grocer. Chekhov's grandfather was a serf, who had bought his own freedom and that of his three sons in 1841. He also taught himself to read and write. Yevgenia Morozova, Chekhov's mother, was the daughter of a cloth merchant.
"When I think back on my childhood," Chekh