Start by marking “Nothing But Trouble (Kevin Kerney, #10)” as Want to Read:
Nothing But Trouble (Kevin Kerney, #10)

Nothing But Trouble (Kevin Kerney #10)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  542 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Santa Fe Police Chief Kevin Kerney is back in the tenth and most entertaining novel in Michael McGarrity's acclaimed mystery series.

After years away on the pro rodeo circuit, Johnny Jordan struts into Santa Fe to ask his boyhood friend, Santa Fe Police Chief Kevin Kerney, to serve as a technical advisor on a contemporary Western movie to be filmed along the Mexican border
Published December 5th 2006 by Dutton (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Nothing But Trouble, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nothing But Trouble

Kevin
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
large-scale drug-smuggling operation

Very attractive series based on a lawman in New Mexico and his family. This is part of the series called the Kevin Kerney Novels. This paragraph applies to all books in this series. The story’s are great, but what makes this series stand out is how the country is worked into the story, It’s almost as if you are there. The author is a gifted story teller.

Do you need to read this series in order: Yes, it helps a lot. Note that Hard Country and Backlands (and one
Jean
Another great entry in the Kevin Kerney series. Parallel mysteries going on with kevin trying to unravel a smuggling operation and Sarah trying to close out an old crime that takes her to Ireland. Both mysteries are good; however I got more pulled into Sarah trying to catch her crook. Fast paced and fun from a talented story teller. If you like C J Box, I think you will enjoy McGarrity.
Dave
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
I have enjoyed reading this series of New Mexico sheriff rancher Kevin Kearney. This is the only book I really didnt enjoy. I'm feeling like the series has run out of gas. I have 3 more to read and I will finish the series, I hope the remainder are up to prior standards
Joe
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery-thriller
This is the 10th entry in the Kevin Kearny adventures, which up until this book was a fairly solid series. We're all entitled to an "Oops!" now and then so hopefully this isn't the beginning of a trend for this author/series. Kearny is the chief of police in Santa Fe, NM, married to Sara Brannon, a career military woman. In the past books the marriage is somewhat awkward as Sara spends little time in New Mexico but I guess it allows Kevin to appear "normal" while fighting crime and provides the ...more
Brinn Colenda
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the seventh book I have read of Michael McGarrity's Kevin Kearny series. It is the best so far-- and by far. McGarrity is an ex-cop and an ex-rancher. Both show through and through this book, set mostly in southern New Mexico. His descriptions of the landscapes are breathtaking and show his passion for the land. Readers can absorb much about both the land and the culture of this almost-not-a-state through McGarrity's books.

Kearny, the Santa Fe police chief, embarks on an investigation ne
Ed
May 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Crime fiction and Kearny fans.
Not one of McGarrity's best but an interesting read, nevertheless. This is the 10th entry in the Kevin Kearny adventures, all of which have been pretty solid stories.

As background: Kearny is the chief of police in Santa Fe, NM, married to Sara Brannon, a career military woman. In this volume,a sub-plot involving Sara takes up a good part of the story and, in truth, is more interesting than the major plot.

The story begins when Kearny is visited by a high school buddy - a black sheep - who is now
LJ
NOTHING BUT TROUBLE (Police Proc-New Mexico-Cont) – DNF
McGarrity, Michael – 10th book
Onyx, 2005- US Paperback – 0451412281
*** Santa Fe Police Chief Kevin Kerney is persuaded, by a childhood friend, to take the job of technical advisor for a film. But Kevin soon finds himself involved in a murder investigation that may tie into the smuggling of illegal immigrants and organized crime.
*** Having read to page 120 with very little having happened except three occasions of appalling bad sentence struc
Dlora
Jan 30, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Michael McGarrity writes police procedurals set in New Mexico. His style is low-key, with realistic action, believable characters, and good dialogue. I like his moral, masculine, tough cowboy-type main character, though this particular book wasn't my favorite of the Kevin Kerney series. It was almost as if there were two plots--one revolving around police chief Kerney who has been asked to be a technical adviser on the set of a western movie taking place at the ranch of an old friend near the Me ...more
Caitlin
Oct 01, 2011 rated it liked it
I heard the audio version of this, so it difficult to say what happened when in the length of the book. In the first few discs, in my case, not much happened - Kerney was a film adviser. The set up was he was helping his old "friend"; I assumed this meant something bad would happen involving his old friend getting into trouble...nope. Eventually there was a plot line involving the death of a border agent, and then randomly out of nowhere a whole new plot developed involving Kerney's wife and an ...more
Don
Dec 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
I picked this up as an audio book from the library's withdrawn item sale. I was somewhat disappointed; the story seemed to start well enough, although the characters seemed a little cartoonish to me. But the book diverged into two very separate plot lines and resolved sort of abruptly and, it felt, incompletely. The feeling I had as I listened to this was that the author almost has ideas for two books, but not enough ideas to make complete novels, so he sort of awkwardly wove two story lines int ...more
Linda
May 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, audio-book
Kevin Kearney is asked by an old friend to be a technical advisor on a movie being made in the area. While the lead up to the movie keeps Kevin busy he finds other things to do too, like check into the possibility of a group smuggling people across the border and taking care of his young son while his wife Sarah is sent on assignment by the Army.

A good story but a little slow in the build-up. The crescendo, when it arrived was about 5 seconds long..................still a good series though.
Mark Edlund
Nov 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Mystery series
McGarrity continues his Kerney series with another arc with his wife's military woes. An old school friend gets Kerney (just before retirement) involved in movie production and, of course, stumbles on more than he bargained for. Meanwhile, wife Sarah chases a Canadian crook to Ireland.
Lots of Canadian references - lady hikes in Canadian Rockies; deserter is hiding in Canada; French Canadian suspect in Toronto; presentation by a Canadian writer in Ireland; Vancouver reference; Nova
Mary
Sep 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: western-mystery
This is two separate plots stitched together to make one novel, not very successfully. Plot number one involving Kerney's wife and a special military op was moderately interesting. Plot number two involving Kerney himself as a movie consultant could have been interesting but wasn't. Plot number one also left Kerney's wife in serious predicament, which I assumed would be resolved at the end, but wasn't, giving the whole book the feeling that the author didn't quite know how to handle his own stor ...more
Ed
Jul 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
#10 in the Kevin Kerney series.

#10 - Kevin Kerney signs on as police technical advisor for a movie being shot in the NM bootheel. He plans to have his wife and son with him but winds up being a single parent as wife, Lt Col Sara Brannon, is sent on a mission to Ireland and winds up at odds with her CO. Meanwhile Kevin encounters an odd Federal law enforcement effort near the movie location.
Janet
Aug 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book was not nearly as good as the first Kevin Kerney novel i read. the book had 2 plot stories. That is 2 completely separate and different sorties. The one story about Kerney's wife story was inserted in the middle of the smuggler police story. There could have been 2 separate stories. As it turns out neither story was resolved as well as I would like. When the wife sotry started I kept wondering what happened to the smuggling story.
Could have been better.
John Freeman
Nov 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Found a hardback copy in a local thrift store for only $1.50 and as a bonus, there was a nice leather bookmark inside.

Nothing but Trouble was a nice break between the heavier reading I've charged myself with. A change of pace from the other Kevin Kerney novels, as his wife, Sara, gets half the novel's space as she goes to Ireland to solve an old Army crime.

Fans of McGarrity will enjoy.
Tom Gorski
Oct 25, 2014 rated it liked it
While I do enjoy McGarrity's series this one, containing two separate plots involving Kevin Kerney and Sara Brannon separately, was a bit disjointed. Unlike his other books which, while connected, can be read as a stand alone this one is more serial like and requires the next two books for completion.
Rick
Jun 08, 2012 rated it it was ok
Meh. Disjointed and with several unnecessary and confusing plot twists. I really enjoy the Kearney series, but this one felt more like a 'contract' book...the '...you owe us an xx page novel by August...' one. Either that, or he wrote a book half again as long and had to slash a third of the 'real' book.
Bob
Sep 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've enjoyed each of Michael McGarrity's books so far - reading them in order written. But I was disappointed here to discover Brendan Coughlan - a frequently mentioned author of note - was a fictitious character.
David Malmberg
Mar 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kevin Kerney reminds me of Walt Longmire at his best!

Michael McGarrity is an excellent writer and his Kevin Kerney is an excellent character. I look forward to reading more of McGarrity boos
Darcy
May 21, 2008 rated it did not like it
Blech! I'm always on the lookout for new mystery novelists, but this won't be one of them. It started out with an interesting plot line, but went off on a totally separate parallel plot line that was not remotely interesting that confusingly never hooked up with the first plot line.
Pat
Feb 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Good, recommended by Joanie.
2 stories, 1 involves husband, 2nd involves wife.
Ireland is secondary setting.
Southwest US is primary setting.
Mystery, intrigue, family story.
All nicely tied together.
Janet Ellner
Dec 28, 2010 rated it liked it
For a Michael McGarrity/Kevin Kearney easy read, this was a good one. A little tension and intrigue is added by way of a side-story involving the sabotage of his military wife's career by her superior. Unfortunately, that angle is left hanging, and, as far as I know, sequels don't resolve it.
Lori
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, 2013-books

this was like a short story combined with the second half of the last book shoved together. The first couple of chapters and the last couple of chapters told a simple story while the middle section of the book took place elsewhere and finished up the previous Kevin Kearney book.
Cheryle Fisher
Apr 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
KEVIN KEARNEY IS A FAVORITE CHARACTER AND THE AUTHOR CONTINUES TO PUT HIM IN BELIEVABLE SITUATIONS. THIS BOOK BRINGS BACK A CHARACTER FROM HIS CHILDHOOD THAT HE NEVER REALLY LIKED AND WHO TRIED TO GET HIM INTO TROUBLE EVEN THEN. THE FILMING OF A MOVIE DRAWS KEARNEY INTO THE PLOT.
Sherry
Jul 22, 2015 added it
This book was interesting. Heavy on the family stuff but had a very good side story involving Kevin Kerney’s wife, Sara. Set in the boot heel of New Mexico, it included the filming of a movie, human trafficking, murder and moving stolen merchandise. Good read.
Vickie
Sep 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: listened-to
Two mysteries in one book. Both Kerney and his wife are dealing with their own investigations in this enty in the series. Highly intriguing and enjoyable. I love this series.
Rebecca
Jul 22, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
No offense to McGarrity but I found this one pretty damn dull. I think the well onthis New Mexico mystery series has run dry on me.
Gypsy Lady
Oct 17, 2009 rated it liked it
Modern lawman mystery set in New Mexico.
Patricia Eichenlaub
Apr 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
Not one of his better books.
  • Blue Rodeo
  • Enemy Way (Ella Clah, #4)
  • Dead Soul (Charlie Moon, #8)
  • Camelback Falls
  • Little Saigon
  • Double Prey (Posadas County Mystery, #8)
  • Of All Sad Words (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #15)
With the publication of Tularosa in 1996, Michael McGarrity turned to writing full time. Many of his novels have been national best sellers. He holds a BA with distinction in psychology and a master's degree in clinical social work. As an undergraduate, he held a Ford Foundation Scholarship at the University of New Mexico. Additionally, he is an honor graduate of the New Mexico Law Enforcement Aca ...more
More about Michael McGarrity...

Kevin Kerney (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Tularosa (Kevin Kerney, #1)
  • Mexican Hat (Kevin Kerney, #2)
  • Serpent Gate (Kevin Kerney, #3)
  • Hermit's Peak (Kevin Kerney, #4)
  • The Judas Judge (Kevin Kerney, #5)
  • Under the Color of Law (Kevin Kerney, #6)
  • The Big Gamble (Kevin Kerney, #7)
  • Everyone Dies (Kevin Kerney, #8)
  • Slow Kill (Kevin Kerney, #9)
  • Death Song (Kevin Kearney, #11)