Start by marking “The White Trail” as Want to Read:
The White Trail

The White Trail

(New Tales from the Mabinogion #5)

3.45  ·  Rating details ·  31 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Cilydd's wife Goleuddydd, who is nine months pregnant, seems to vanish into thin air at a supermarket one wintry afternoon. Cilydd convinces his cousin, Arthur--a private eye who has never solved a single case--to help him with the investigation. So begins a tale of intrigue and confusion that concludes with a wild boar chase and a dangerous journey to the House of the Mis ...more
Published April 1st 2012 by Seren (first published October 18th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The White Trail, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The White Trail

MattandCathy Brandley
An interesting book the author modern take on Celtic mythology story is quit entertaining and an enjoyable read
Nikki
I really liked this one. I'm deeply familiar with 'Culhwch and Olwen', since it's one of my dissertation books, but Fflur Dafydd takes quite a clever direction with this, focusing it not on Culhwch or Arthur, but on Cilydd, Culhwch's father. I liked this direction -- it gave Dafydd space to invent, rather than have to stick too close to the legend or be compared to it in too much detail, while at the same time making little references back to the original: the cutting of Culhwch's hair, for exam ...more
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love these Seren series of books retelling myths and stories from the Mabinogion. The story-telling is so good and so driven in this novella, that you almost don't require the backdrop of the myth; and yet it's there and adds a complexity and a beauty that adds so much more. Such an interesting take on how families change and evolve and ideals/ideas of manhood and fatherhood.
Keegan
Feb 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
I bought this book for my sister as a Christmas present this past year. I was studying in Wales at the time, and as I like to get books for her, I felt something particularly Welsh was a good fit. That was really all I knew about it. After she finished, she passed it along to me.

So, to say I was surprised is a bit of an understatement. I really knew nothing of this book, this author, or the original story that it re-imagines. What I found was a really engaging story by a really talented author.
David Hebblethwaite
Feb 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is one of the latest titles in Seren’s series of books reworking tales from the Mabinogion. Fflur Dafydd’s contribution is based on the myth of ‘How Culhwch Won Olwen’; but, rather than a straightforward modern retelling, the author sends her story off in a different direction grown out of filling in gaps in the beginning of the original tale. Dafydd’s protagonist is Cilydd, who’s searching for his missing pregnant wife when he finds evidence that she is dead and the baby has been stolen. C ...more
Paul
Jun 24, 2013 rated it liked it
I picked this up whilst in Wales, from a series of books where authors re-tell old myths and tales. I wasn't familiar with the original story of "How Culhwch Won Olwen" but there are ample notes at the back of the book on this. The first half of the book I enjoyed, but then it took a rather more confused turn with a bit too much mumbo jumbo/ magical realism type stuff going on for my tastes. Interesting though
Sarah Churchill
A great adaptation of Cylhwch ac Olwen, taking the story in a new direction while retaining some subtle (and some not so subtle) nods to the original. I particularly liked the progression from a modern day missing person mystery into full blown magical realism, which personally I think is the best way to tackle a retelling. Read in one sitting, and really enjoyed it.
Sandra
Dec 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016
Reading this took me straight back to my childhood; gave me the experience of having a story told to me that reading did then. Fables, fantasies, myths are far outside my usual reading, and a small part remained resistant throughout (exacerbated by the unfamiliarity of the names) , but so very, very good was the writing that it was impossible to stop reading until I reached the end of the tale.
Alyson
Oct 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Probably deeper than I was aware of. I sort of came to like it more by the end, and although I'm not raving over it, it was an interesting plot with strong characters. I don't think it mattered that I didn't know the original myth/tale that it's adapted from.
Samuel
Jun 17, 2015 rated it liked it
A mystical, often baffling, modern retelling of 'How Culhwch won Olwen' from the Mabinogion. It begins with an intriguing hook and becomes fairly absorbing, all the while demonstrating a very fine poetic tone, but lacks a certain punch.
Tammy
Apr 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Based on a story from the Welsh legends from the Mabinogion this was a short novel that had an edge of fantasy mixed with thriller in it.
Tasha Gefreh
Sep 15, 2012
Nikki Morrigan
rated it did not like it
Feb 14, 2013
Chris
May 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arthurian
The White Trail is one of Seren Books' New Stories from the Mabinogion, a retelling of the medieval Welsh tale of Culhwch ac Olwen. This early Arthurian story described the quest of Culhwch (pronounced Kilhookh) for Olwen, a girl he had fallen violently in love with the moment he had heard about her. But to gain her hand he has to fulfill several impossible tasks set for him by Olwen's father, tasks he is only able to complete with the help of Arthur and his knights.

It is the longest of the nati
Mdimelow
May 11, 2012
Will
May 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Will by: 90
Quirkily brilliant retelling of "Culhwch and Olwen"
Olivia Cox
Jan 07, 2016
Tanya
Feb 16, 2016
Fflur Dafydd is a novelist from Carmarthen who publishes in both Welsh and English. Since publishing her first novel, Lliwiau Liw Nos in 2005, she has published six fiction volumes. Two of her Welsh-language novels, Atyniad (Y Lolfa, 2006) and Y Llyfrgell (Y Lolfa, 2009) have been awarded the major fiction awards at the National Eisteddfod of Wales, the Prose Medal (2006) and the Daniel Owen Memor ...more

New Tales from the Mabinogion (8 books)
  • White Ravens