Start by marking “Червени морета под червени небета (Джентълмените копелета, #2)” as Want to Read:
Червени морета под червени небета (Джентълмените копелета, #2)

Червени морета под червени небета (Gentleman Bastard #2)

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  79,736 Ratings  ·  4,077 Reviews
Крадец и изключителен мошеник, Локи Ламора и верният му до гроб Джийн Танен напускат родния град. Те обаче, не могат вечно да бягат и когато спират, решават да поемат към най-богатата и непревзимаема мишена на хоризонта - града-държава Тал Верар. И към Кулата на греха. Кулата на греха е най-изтънченият, най-прочутият и най-силно охраняваният дом за хазарт на света.

Уставът
Published 2008 by Рива (first published June 20th 2007)

Amanda The first of the series, to me, is a stand-alone, and the end wraps up fairly well. Book 2 references book one a bit, and ends with something of a…moreThe first of the series, to me, is a stand-alone, and the end wraps up fairly well. Book 2 references book one a bit, and ends with something of a cliffhanger - book 3 references both books heavily.(less)

Patrick
Oct 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'll be honest, when I first read this book, years ago, my reaction was kinda "meh."

Or rather, I *remember* it being that way. It was a long time back, and I can barely bring to mind what I ate for lunch yesterday. So I'm not terribly reliable that way.

I also vaguely remember that it wasn't as talked-up as Lies of Locke Lamora. There wasn't the same excited buzz about it when it came out, so I remember feeling reasonably justified in my "meh" feeling.

That means reading through it again a seco
Ridley
Dec 08, 2012 marked it as to-buy-big-publisher  ·  review of another edition
After reading a Tumblr post Where Lynch responded to a reader's complaints about "political correctness" in this novel, I am intrigued.
Why shouldn’t middle-aged mothers get a wish-fulfillment character, you sad little bigot? Everyone else does. H.L. Mencken once wrote that “Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” I can’t think of anyone to whom that applies more than my own mom, and the mothers on my friends list, with th
Petrik
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: High fantasy fans
Shelves: owned-physical
Buddy read with these thieves: Celeste & Sarah

4.5/5 Stars

Contrary to the popular opinion that Red Seas Under Red Skies, the second book in the Gentleman Bastard Sequence series, is weaker than its predecessor, I’m more inclined to say that it’s not inferior nor superior but it’s equally great with The Lies of Locke Lamora in a different way. It retained some elements that made the first book rose to its fame and at the same time, replace some of them with some new factors to the series.

“Di
☽Luna☾
Apr 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: badassery, favorites
James Lafayette  Tivendale
I probably enjoyed this book more than the first of the Gentleman Bastard sequence. It starts as fast paced as the previous book ended with Locke & Jean already knee deep in a con involving this worlds equivalent of a Casino known as the Sinspire. The start of the novel flips between this section and also what the characters have been up to since they sailed away from Camorr at the end of book 1. This section showcases a cool transition period which shows the Gentleman Bastard's as less than ...more
Kelly

Although I was prepared to bite my thumb at anyone who had a problem with this book up to about 200 pages in, over the course of the 500 pages after that, I began to slowly, reluctantly and finally in complete exasperation, change my mind.

Scott Lynch begins his novel at the same level of quality as his fabulous first novel, The Lies of Locke Lamora. His characters are dealing with the events of the previous novel, in a mostly believable fashion, in a believable time period- its kept from becomin
Bookdragon Sean
Aug 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Joe Abercrombie fans
Shelves: fantasy, 4-star-reads
Frodo Baggins and Samwise Gamgee, Jon Snow and Samwell Tarly, FitzChivalry Farseer and The Fool, Locke Lamora and Jean Tammen: eight men of fantasy who without their counterpart would be nothing. Indeed, without Jean at his back Locke Lamora would have no chance of success. Both men provide the other with what he lacks, and together that make a deadly, silver tongued, thieving duo that are best summed up with one word: awesome.

Another deadly scheme

It was a big surprise, to me, that in the pro
Cait (Paper Fury)
I DON'T EVEN HAVE WORDS TO EXPRESS HOW MUCH I ABSOLUTELY ENTIRELY COMPLETELY ADORE THIS SERIES. There are books that I love in this universe. And then there are books that I really really really really really really really really really really really really love. THIS SERIES IS THE LATTER. I mean, I do think The Lies of Locke Lamora was better. But this still had everything I absolutely demand of a book and of a sequel.

Stop being so PERFECT, Gentlemen Bastards. My heart cannot handle.

(Also it's
Celeste
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
Full review now posted!
This review and more can be found on Booknest.

A buddy read with my loves: Petrik and Sarah.

In my humble opinion, pirates make everything better. When I was six or seven, my favorite Saturday-morning cartoon was Pirates of the Dark Waters. (Which so didn’t age well, but nostalgia covers a multitude of sins.) In junior high, I went through a phase where I researched every famous pirate I knew of, just because I found them fascinating. I’ve loved every single one of The Pirat
Ginger
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Welp, seldom has a book made me waver on how much I felt about it. I definitely went into this sequel with high hopes because I loved The Lies of Locke Lamora!

At the beginning of the book, Red Seas Under Red Skies seemed to be heading in the same way. And then it got weighed down. I like when a book has tons of twists and plots so I stayed with the course. But there were sections that got tedious and I struggled, especially with the nautical information that Jean and Locke had to learn. Also, th
ChopinFC
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Full review…

Another absolute slam dunk by Scott Lynch! Gentlemens Bastard 2 does the rare feet of improving on the original formula of the first novel!!

I was so impressed and entertained after the first go round of Gentlemens Bastard, that decided to go right into the second book without pause. In the first novel, Lynch introduces us to the ‘guild of thieves’ and multiple characters including the protagonist Locke and his best bud and confidant ‘Jean’. The world building in the first book was
Natalie Monroe
EDIT 22/1/2017: Saw Scott Lynch's reply to a reader who complained that a black, middle-aged badass pirate mom was "unrealistic" and now I love this series more than ever (Underlined parts are the criticism):

Third your characters are unrealistic stereotpyes of political correctness. Is it really necessary for the sake of popular sensibilities to have in a fantasy what we have in the real world? I read fantasy to get away from politically correct cliches.

God, yes! If there's one thing fantasy is
Will M.
I'm probably going to receive a lot of hate for this rating, but I'm just being honest here. I'm bold enough to give this a 3, because that's the highest it can go. The novel is not bad, but it's also not phenomenal.

Am I the only one reminded of Pirates of the Caribbean while reading this? Pirates aside, it had the same vibe to it. I really liked Pirates, but just like Red Seas, both had a lot of dull moments.

Red Seas would've received at least a 4 from me, if it was consistent with its amazing
Dorreh
Oct 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hope writing my review doesn't take as long as reading this did!

Review coming soon........
Robin (Bridge Four)
Reading with the BB&B group. I have 3 weeks to finish this so I should be okay :P... actually it took me five weeks to read it.

I really enjoyed the first book in this series but Red Seas Under Red Skies was a bit meh for me.

Don’t get me wrong, the dialogue between Locke and Jean is still amazing and I love the utter devotion those two have for one another. But the story was a little all over the place and I think my biggest issue is probably that the flashbacks were to a time not that long a
mark monday
Happy New Year to you all! it certainly has been some kind of a year. and Happy New Year to Locke and Jean too, or rather, Happy New Life! the thrilling but often horrible and tragic events in their preceding book together certainly warrant some kind of hopeful message.

for the most part they get over it. Lies of Locke Lamora was mainly a whole lot of fun, but the terrible deaths that occurred were genuinely upsetting, and I appreciated how Lynch didn't just rush past the trauma that Jean and esp
Molly
Rating? 4 cats ready to sail ,

...almost five, but because of a few things
description

Locke Lamora and Jean Tannen, are back in business .... there's not greater fun for them then to unburden rich people of their heavy purses. Bigger the challenge, greater the fun, as always with the Gentlemen Bastards . Their next target, the famous Tal Verrar gambling house, The Sinspire.

description

After two years of careful planning and preparing the field, it's almost time to reap the benefits. Everything is going smoothly when (
Kübra Yağmur
LANET OLSUN SCOTT LYNCH!
MADRABAZ BEKÇİ BELANI VERSİN!
IANO YUTSUN SENİ!
SALON GEÇİDİ’NDE BAŞINA GELEYEN KALMASIN EMİ!

⬇ Aşağısı spoiler dolu, ona göre şedin derim ben. ⬇
(view spoiler)
Hanne
Aug 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I realize I’m being wayward again: most people seemed to be über-enthusiast about book one, and they tend to like book two a bit less. Not me: I really enjoyed book two, much more than the first.

The main driver behind this difference, is that everything I didn’t like about book one is gone here: there’s no smooth sailing, there aren’t a bizillion tricks hiding in Locke’s sleeve, and the whole “Look how clever I am”-feel of the book is gone. This cat might still have seven lives; he isn’t always
Aristea
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-read-on-shelf
The first half is certainly the best so far - the second half left me less satisfied but eager to know what our favorite thief is going to do in his next adventure!

Adina
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-sf
3.5*

“Know something? I'd lay even odds that between the people following us and the people hunting us, we've become this city's principle means of employment. Tal Verrar's entire economy is now based on fucking with us.”

The follow-up of the marvellous, funny, dark, The Lies of Locke Lamora, this novel does not manage to reach the greatness of the first volume. Still, I very much enjoyed reading about the adventures of my favourite duo of thieves, Locke and Jean.

One of the reasons that I wasn't
Josh
Feb 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is a surprisingly worthy followup, albeit a tad frustrating, at least at first. After reading all of the negative or mediaocre reviews, I was expecting to find a lesser book than Lies. I didn't find that at all. The quality of writing, the sympathetic characters, the sharp and funny dialogue, the action: it's all here. I think the reason people are turned off by it is because it's a very different book than the first one.

Red Seas wastes no time as it starts off. We begin with Locke and Jea
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE)
Because I want to meet Zamira Drakasha.

Oh, and because of this :

As for claims to “realism,” your complaint is of a kind with those from bigoted hand-wringers who whine that women can’t possibly fly combat aircraft, command naval vessels, serve in infantry actions, work as firefighters, police officers, etc. despite the fact that they do all of those things— and are, for a certainty, doing them all somewhere at this very minute. Tell me that a fit fortyish woman with 25+ years of experience at s
Apatt
Apr 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, fantasy
I read the blockbusting The Lies of Locke Lamora in July 2014 and I just read this second volume of the Gentleman Bastard series today May 9, 2015, almost a year apart. I tend to do that with second volumes in most series I read for some reason. (I am only sharing this mind numbingly uninteresting fact with you because I have no idea what to write for the opening paragraph of this review!)

Red Seas Under Red Skies is a worthy follow up to The Lies of Locke Lamora which made Scott Lynch one of t
TS Chan
May 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thieves prosper, the rich remember.

It's been well over half a year since I was acquainted with the Gentlemen Bastards, and The Lies of Locke Lamora made it into my favourites shelf with the ease of Locke's glib tongue charming his way out of trouble. While Red Seas under Red Skies didn't make it as a favourite, it was still highly entertaining and deserved a 4.5-star rating, rounded up.

Scott Lynch is pretty good at keeping the readers dangling as they wonder "what will Locke do next?" or "how i
Kitvaria Sarene
What to say - I love this series! and it is save to say, that if you liked book one, you will definitely like book two too.
I especially like to be able to explore more of the world, and not being bound to just the one city anymore in book two - and the new adventures that are awaiting! Lots of fun, action, friendship and adventure going on once again. Perfect entertainment if you ask me!
Ben Babcock
Second Review (Read on March 4, 2015)

So Locke Lamora won the day at the end of his first book, but at a terrible price. He and Jean are the last surviving Gentlemen Bastards (unless you count the estranged Sabetha, whose existence Scott Lynch dangles beneath our noses with all the glee of a writer of a trilogy). With nothing left for them in Camorr, they wind up in Tal Verarr, pulling a heist against Requin of the Sinspire, the best and most cheat-proof casino there is. But the Archon of Tal Ver
Gökçe
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
sanırım ölüyorum. bye.
Anne
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So, so good. That ending tho. Jeez.

******************

Straight from Lies to an audio reread of Skies. I know, I know, I'm a hopeless fangirl. I don't care. I love these books.
Carol.
Aug 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of rogues
Four stars, with reservations

A bit of a slog in the beginning--guess I haven't been in the mood for the great con. Locke Lamora is still at the heart of the narrative, and I don't think he could get from bed to breakfast without hatching or implementing a Rube Goldberg of a plot. It remains a sort of "Oceans Eleven" caper at the beginning, with multiple steps and a long, convoluted plan of attack on the owner of an elaborate and elite gambling facility. However, in true Oceans fashion, even as t
Fantasy Fanatics: Red Seas under Red Skies 2 1 Aug 19, 2017 07:18PM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Red Seas Under Red Skies 96 59 Jun 07, 2017 10:46PM
SF/F Read Alongs: Red Seas Under Red Skies (Gentleman Bastards #2) 53 39 Jun 03, 2016 10:48AM
Grimdark Fantasy: (GB#2) Red Seas Under Red Skies [Spoilers] 36 52 Jan 04, 2016 03:18PM
  • Wintertide (The Riyria Revelations, #5)
  • Red Country (First Law World, #6)
  • The Crimson Campaign (Powder Mage, #2)
  • The Tyrant's Law (The Dagger and the Coin, #3)
  • Caine Black Knife (The Acts of Caine, #3)
  • The Daylight War (Demon Cycle, #3)
  • The Iron Jackal (Tales of the Ketty Jay, #3)
  • Reaper's Gale (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #7)
  • The Virtu (Doctrine of Labyrinths, #2)
  • The Providence of Fire (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #2)
I was born in St. Paul, Minnesota on April 2, 1978, the first of three brothers. I've lived in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area my entire life; currently, just across the border in Wisconsin, about half an hour east of the Twin Cities.

The Lies of Locke Lamora, my first novel, was bought by Simon Spanton at Orion Books in August, 2004. Prior to that I had just about every job you usually see in this s
More about Scott Lynch...

Gentleman Bastard (7 books)
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
  • The Republic of Thieves (Gentleman Bastard, #3)
  • The Thorn of Emberlain (Gentleman Bastard, #4)
  • The Ministry of Necessity (Gentleman Bastard, #5)
  • The Mage and the Master Spy (Gentleman Bastard, #6)
  • Inherit the Night (Gentleman Bastard, #7)

“Difficult" and "impossible" are cousins often mistaken for one another, with very little in common.” 242 likes
“That's a sweet piece," said Jean, briefly forgetting to be aggravated. "You didn't snatch that off a street."

"No," said Locke, before taking another deep draught of the warm water in the decanter. "I got it from the neck of the governor's mistress."

"You can't be serious."

"In the governor's manor."

"Of all the -"

"In the governor's bed."

"Damned lunatic!"

"With the governor sleeping next to her."

The night quiet was broken by the high, distant trill of a whistle, the traditional swarming noise of city watches everywhere. Several other whistles joined in a few moments later.

"It is possible," said Locke with a sheepish grin, "that I have been slightly too bold.”
206 likes