Start by marking “Close Enough to Touch” as Want to Read:
Close Enough to Touch

Close Enough to Touch

A seventeen-year-old boy trying to recover from the loss of his girlfriend meets an unusual girl.
Mass Market Paperback, 10 pages
Published August 15th 1982 by Laurel Leaf (first published 1981)

Start your review of Close Enough to Touch
Sean Kennedy
Feb 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Richard Peck is a great YA author, but this one lacks the depth his other books do. It is short, even for YA, and we don't even meet the other main character until halfway through the book. The resulting romance seems rushed, and I really don't know what she saw in him that she would return his feelings because we knew so little about her.

That being said, there are some fine character moments that point out why Peck is so good. It's just disappointing that the story itself didn't allow these to
Carrie Goodall
This is the first book that ever made me cry. Richard Peck is amazing and underrated. Not by librarians, but by young readers. I wish I could get more kids to read his books.
Eric Thorne
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Close Enough to Touch follows the story of a young man dealing with severe grief. After the death of a girl named Dory who he was infatuated with, Matt goes into severe depression. He tries to cope with his depression in a variety of ways all of which fail. One day while running around the woods, he runs into a girl named to Margaret who changes his life and is able to help him with his grieving process.

Maybe I didn't like this book as much just because I picked it up without really looking at
Rebecca Brothers
Apr 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: richard-peck
Oh, the cover on my ex-library edition had a girl in an old-fashioned riding habit sitting on the ground next to a boy dressed like the jock from The Breakfast Club. I was hoping this was one of Peck's time-traveling, cross-decade almost-romantic ghost stories, like The Dreadful Future of Blossom Culp. It's not. It's Peck trying to teach teens something about their own conventionality. I know that to be true because I'm also reading his Love and Death at the Shopping Mall, a book I dearly enjoy. ...more
Kjerstin
Dec 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
I picked this up because the cover --- which is not the one to the left but featured a boy in a sweater with combed-but-tousled hair holding a girl's picture and looking with soulful purpose to the middle of nowhere whilst standing in tall grasses --- screamed "melodramatic teen romance!" and the tagline ("To him, she was all a girl could ever be") screamed "melodramatic teen romance!" and the title screamed "melodramatic teen romance!" and the book cover said "Richard Peck," who I know does not ...more
Heather Reese
In this book a young boy struggles coping with the death of his high school love. He deals with the changes that come socially, in his own family, and in regard to the relationship he has with her family. This romance novel takes the reader through the ups and downs of young love and the reality of the consequences that are accompanied with that. As he struggles through this and becomes more and more isolated he comes across and unexpected friend who helps him through.
I loved this book. It was
Oliver  Quebedeaux
Oct 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Taylor Lusk
Feb 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: yal-1-12
Matt Moran has recently gone through a terrible loss. His girlfriend, Dory Gunderson, suffered a brain aneurysm and died suddenly in a parking lot. While dealing with his grief, he meets a girl named Margaret Chasen who helps him realize that he can learn to heal and love again.
This was a pretty good book. It was a short an easy read, written in a clear style. There are a lot of "feelings" in this book, so if that's not up your alley, well...
Bethany
Feb 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another re-read from childhood (thanks, Amazon!) This one was not quite as good as I remember it being, the story was a little more transparent than I remember (perhaps because I read it so many times as a kid & already knew what happened? ) but still enjoyable. I will probably pass this on to the big kid.
Tara
Feb 13, 2010 rated it liked it
In this book, Peck addressed teenagers dealing with real life issues. A high school boy's girlfriend dies suddenly, and he must learn how to mourn, as well as how to continue with his life. Well written, but I felt that the issue could have been fully explored if the book were longer.
Cyndy
Apr 26, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've read other books by Richard Peck that I would highly recommend to young readers. But probably not this one so much. I think it needed to be longer so other characters could have been developed more.
Shannon
Aug 10, 2007
Carina
Nov 18, 2019
How much is a signed copy worth? 1 1 Oct 31, 2014 10:33AM
Richard Peck was an American novelist known for his prolific contributions to modern young adult literature. He was awarded the Newbery Medal in 2001 for his novel A Year Down Yonder. For his cumulative contribution to young-adult literature, he received the Margaret A. Edwards Award from the American Library Association in 1990.