Start by marking “The Good Witch of the West, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
The Good Witch of the West, Volume 1

The Good Witch of the West, Volume 1

No further information has been provided for this title.
Published October 3rd 2006 by TokyoPop (first published November 7th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Good Witch of the West, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Good Witch of the West, Volume 1

Pandora Hearts, Volume 7 by Jun MochizukiBlack Butler, Vol. 6 by Yana TobosoDeath Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaBlack Butler, Vol. 1 by Yana TobosoKimi ni Todoke by Karuho Shiina
Best Manga Covers
536 books — 188 voters
Black Butler, Vol. 1 by Yana TobosoPandora Hearts 1巻 by Jun MochizukiFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaA Bride's Story, Vol. 1 by Kaoru MoriSailor Moon, Vol. 1 by Naoko Takeuchi
Best Manga Art
249 books — 241 voters

More lists with this book...

Selena
Ah... Good Witch of the West... How I've missed you.

This was a really good series that was overshadowed by many other more popular series when it came out. It was pushed to the side as another "Fairy tale fantasy" and many dismissed it, but it's worth the second look.

Basically, the story centers around Firiel, a country bumpkin who lives with kindly neighbors while her dad spends all his time as a researcher in a tower, and Rune, a boy rescued from gypsies and apprenticed to Firiel's father. Bot
Starbubbles
Mar 25, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: manga
I wanted this to be so much more. I truly did, but I couldn't even get through this volume. I had a tough time trying to piece together what on earth was even happening. It was enigmatic unnecessarily. Even if Tokyopop wasn't going under, this one would still incomplete.
Sabrina Wannet
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
lovely manga about a peasant girl that really a royal princess is. A book about caring, hardship, friendship and fear
Jennette
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved it but felt it could have been better
Margaryta
May 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
After reading the novels of this series, I decided to pick up the manga just so that I could now see how the artist had interpreted the characters. I was not disappointed. This series is SOOO addicting that even though I believe this is my first manga series i read fully, I still love it more and more. Damn Tokyopop though won't translate the final volume and all the novels! That just makes me upset that this happens and readers like me who are devouring this series a million times over can't fu ...more
Lil' Violet
Sep 30, 2011 rated it liked it
The good witch of the west wind review
Art: The art is both amazing and plain very much a mix of shonen and shojo with pretty looking girls and hot guys but something else to. Amazing art work and Haruhiko Momokawa is an amazing artist B

Characters: Firiel, rune. Firiel is a bella/katniss she is a dopy kind of a girl with no real personality loving and caring no idea of her identity she then becomes more determent by the end of the story much like katniss in some ways a little. Rune is the profe
Christina
Sep 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Young Firiel lives in her own close-to-perfect world. Raised in the highlands on a farm by friends of her father's, they almost became her loving parents. They nurtured and raised her as their own. with the warmth of a loving family she grew to be a beautiful twenty-two year old maiden with red hair that can be as fierce as a fire, but as golden as the sunlight. Firiel would often try to visit her father who was always locked away in his tower, lost in his studies, but end up spending time with ...more
Sophie Gonzales
Feb 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It's been a while since my last manga review )and I am shamefully behind in my regular reading), so I thought it was about time for another.

The Good Witch of the West is a fantasy drama manga about a young woman living a modest life in the countryside. However, her world is turned completely upside down after she attends a ball at a palace and discovers that she is an heir to extraordinary power.

I really enjoyed The Good Witch of the West. It got off to a bit of a slow start, but that's usually
I liked this. At times I found the art a little hard to follow, but part of that could just be me being out of practice reading right to left. Still, so far I like the story, and the art is pretty. I liked the little references to fairy tales, and I hope that continues throughout. Firiel's mother gave her a book of fairy tales, so the stories have meaning to her.

Also, I thought Rune was adorable, and I hope nothing bad happened to him! I'm glad I already have the second volume.

It's nothing spec
Tiger
Jul 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 13-16-manga, fantasy
This series starts off pretty slow at first but it redeems itself by the middle of the first book.
A young girl (turns out she has royal blood) grows up in a small quiet peasant town. She goes to a ball at the dukes castle where it is discovered that she has a royal heritage. And that is where all the similarities to the story of Cinderella end. Her whole life is turned upside down after that night and danger is coming in from every side.
It really starts to take off more by the second book as her
Kathy
Mar 11, 2010 added it
Shelves: shojo
Firiel lives in the remote highlands of Sera Field where she is raised by Bo and Tabitha. Her father Professor Dee lives in a tower doing mathematical and astronomical research with an apprentice named Rune. Rune was found traveling with gypsies doing math tricks when he was a child. Firiel's Mom died when she was only 2 years old. Her Mother left her a necklace which turns from red to blue when it touches someone who is eligible to become Queen. Firiel wears it for the first time to a ball when ...more
Mr
Jan 14, 2009 added it
a girl named firiel with no acknowledge of being the granddaughter of thestar queenand later founds out that. her dad had left ,master bo died and madam tabitha missing the only person with her is rune but in order to save firiel from the kiddnapers he let himself be captured. she's all alone now.
johanna ma
180 pages
Carrie
Feb 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
An interesting if somewhat cliché book. Of course, it's only the first book. And the story is by Noriko Ogiwara. Just for that I will keep reading. I was enthralled by 'Dragon Sword and Wind Child', so I trust the story will get better. I'm also interested in reading the novels off of which this manga was based.
Mazohyst
Apr 08, 2011 rated it it was ok
All of it was rather cute. I find it a bit annoying how the two fifteen-year-olds look like they're 10. Surely, I didn't look that young four months ago, did I? Other than that, the art was decently drawn. I'm not one for the style. A bit too cutesy for my taste. And the story was a bit cliche. The characters extremely stereotypical.
Alisi ☆ wants to read too many books ☆
I wanted to like this book and this series but it just didn't do it for me. I'm not entirely sure why. I love the art and I can't honestly say the story was bad. *shrug* Just one of those things, I guess.
Elizabeth
Sep 06, 2008 rated it liked it
A cute manga story about a girl who finds out her mother (who died when she was 2) was a daughter of the queen. I like these books because the girl is strong and willing to give up an easy life to pursue what she wants in her life. There are a lot of references to different fairy tales.
Katie
Jun 12, 2012 rated it did not like it
I did not like this book at all. I am new to manga so I'm checking out many volume 1s and this is the worst so far. I didn't really like the illustration. The flow of word bubbles was confusing. The story didn't make any sense and wasn't that interesting. I won't continue these books.

Rachel (Sfogs)
May 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
This series seems very promising!
A really good read!

cute photo: CUTE 18-6.gif
Mely
Aug 07, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-seq-art
I hate the art and I hate the way Firiel is made even more like a typical young sweet cheerful shojo heroine. It's nice to get some information about characters that wasn't revealed in the first two books, but that I assume gets revealed in later ones.
Dorcas
Nov 19, 2008 rated it it was ok
cute, but the action through the panel progression is a little choppy and does not flow very well at times. Just read the first volume but it looks to be doing something interesting with old fairy tales.
Allanna
Jun 30, 2008 rated it liked it
A little hard to jump into (Could be because I'm on a little bit of a hurry to finish as many books as I can as fast I can .... before I go to camp for a few days).

But it's cute. Interesting story line. I'm curious to see how it goes.
Melanie
Jun 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Loveable characters and soft graphics lend themselves to an intriguing plot and storyline. Looking foward to the next.
Christine
Mar 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
Hmm. Definitely going to need to read the second volume before I can form an opinion.
Linda
Jun 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
It was a really nice story with beautiful artwork and I enjoyed the fairy tale touch to it.
Stephanie Toogood
Nov 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was a great start to a series. Will buy the rest, though unfortunately this series is incomplete and needs to be rescued. Maybe one day. Fingers crossed!
NiRmA CanTabiLe
Jul 21, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: manga
cerita fiksi dengan alur cerita yang bikin bingung. sampai terakhir baca tetep aja ga ngerti +_+ aku ga rekomendasiin buku ini.
Dawn
Jan 28, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga-girls
The story was difficult to follow and had too many fantasy/mystical elements flying around. Mediocre illustrations, too.
Rosie
Jun 13, 2011 rated it liked it
This series centers on a girl, and the Star Queen Throne. The girl goes through trials that prove her personality/what she believes in. Yadda, yadda, yadda.... total shoujo cliche......
Ichigo
Sep 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
i read this like a long time ago and i din't get it at all until i read it again for the 4th time O_o
Mimi
Mar 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009, graphic-novels
check out my review at Toshokan Comix
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Fushigi Yûgi: Genbu Kaiden, Vol. 04 (Fushigi Yûgi: Genbu Kaiden, #4)
  • Psycho Busters 1
  • Pet Shop of Horrors: Tokyo, Volume 6 (Pet Shop of Horrors: Tokyo, #6)
  • Legends of the Dark Crystal, Vol. 1: The Garthim Wars
  • Heaven's Will
  • Kasumi, Volume 1 (Kasumi, #1)
  • Fairy Cube, Vol. 01
  • Mugen Spiral, Vol. 02
  • Bizenghast, Volume 2 (Bizenghast, #2)
  • Dazzle, Volume 01
  • 薔薇嬢のキス 7
  • Bound Beauty, Volume 1
  • Aqua, Volume 1 (Aqua, #1)
  • Hero Tales, Vol. 1 (Hero Tales, #1)
  • Immortal Rain, Vol. 5