Start by marking “Rippler (Ripple, #1)” as Want to Read:
Rippler (Ripple, #1)

Rippler

(Ripple #1)

Discovering she can turn invisible terrifies Samantha, especially when she learns a geneticist who murdered her mom wants her too. Handsome Will Baker offers help and secrecy, but soon Sam will have to choose between keeping her secrets and keeping Will in her life. Suspenseful and romantic, Rippler and its sequels capture the collision of the beautiful with the dark.

Two f
Published March 8th 2013 by Williams Press (first published May 26th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Rippler, please sign up.
S Hi, I've read this book and I've never seen this quote in it. I'm 12 and I've read the whole series so yes age appropriate but it depends on the…moreHi, I've read this book and I've never seen this quote in it. I'm 12 and I've read the whole series so yes age appropriate but it depends on the maturity of the kid...(less)
S It really depends on the maturity of the kid, I'm 12 and I've read the whole series, and I was fine with it.

Anne

So this one was a freebie that caught my eye a while back, but I never got around to reading it till a few days ago.
I didn't even plan on finishing it, really. I just needed something to keep me occupied while I was sitting in the car line one day, and the cover seemed kinda cool. But, Hey!, I finished it, so that's a good sign, right?!

description

So Sam has the ability to go intangible, and she accidentally does it in front of a boy named Will.
{spoilery things}
He helps her practice controlling he
Nicola
Rippler has been sitting in my Kindle for months now, waiting patiently for me to get around to reading it. Well, I can say now that I am kicking myself for not reading it back in December. Honestly, what was I thinking? This book was amazing and my only regret is that I didn't read it sooner! Rippler easily earned a spot on my favourites lists; I was just so impressed with this one.

The ideas behind Rippler were fascinating and I loved everything about it. Samantha, AKA Sam, is able to turn invi
Lala_Loopsie [fire breathing B!tch Queen]
Is it unfair to rate a book you haven't finished? Yes. Is it unfair to put this book in 2016's challenge if i read it in 2015? Yes.

As much as i would love to say i remember what exactly happened here, I'll be honest, i don't really. Just that Sam can Ripple (disappear) and she can't control it. She disappears in a trip, and her friend Will helps her. From now on he knows about her ability. Also, it turns out that Will's older sister has something to do with her strange ability. And you might ask
Shauna
Mar 15, 2012 rated it liked it
The screaming was the first clue that I'd turned invisible again.

When we're first introduced to our heroine Samantha 'Sam' Ruiz, she has just involuntarily vanished in the middle of a rafting trip. Luckily, no one actually saw this. Well, no one but her new friend Will who, as it turns out, knows exactly what just happened.

Now, I think we've all bemoaned the lack of forthright male characters in YA fiction a time or two or twenty. Maybe that explains why, to begin with, this book felt a little
Jessica
Sep 11, 2012 rated it did not like it
Doina Condrea
Jan 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
This book felt like it was moving a bit slow. It was like there was a lot more information than action but I think it might be because it's the first in a series so I forgave it. I'll keep going with the series because I like it.

One thing I just can't reconcile with is the fact that Sam would have to be really calm and in the presence of water in order to turn invisible because I think the ability to turn invisible would benefit her more in stressful situations where she's in danger and needs t
Anna
Dec 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hannah Lesniak
Fifteen year old Sam has always been soothed and comforted by water since her earliest memories. That turns out not to be such a good thing when she turns invisible on her cross-country team's canoe trip - while she's in the canoe with the other kids. This starts off an odyssey of learning why she is able to turn invisible and what it means for her future happiness and safety. The person to take the journey with her is her neighbor Will Baker who happened to see her vanish from the canoe and cov ...more
Romancing the Book
Oct 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
Reviewed by Valerie
Ebook won on LibraryThing

Teens not sure of what’s going on? Check. Genetic mutations? Check. Historical mystery to thicken the plot? Check. This book started slow but once it picked up I was hooked!

Samantha has “rippled” a couple of times but has no clue what it means or if she’s losing her mind. Who can just turn invisible? No one she knows so she must be going crazy. Then, she ripples while out on the water and a boy name Will sees and knows what’s happening to her...

As Will
T
Jul 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
of all the fantasy books i've read lately. this is in the top 3 if not the best.
i am a nit picker and will find something that bugs me about every book i read. but i made it through all 3 books in this series with maybe 1 nit i found to pick. i would have liked a bit more description of the main characters. i didn't get a solid mental image of our heroin until book 3. i loved the story and the writing. it was very comfortable and addictive, like a good chocolate mousse.
i especially love love lov
Tamara
Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
Well that was not enjoyable. Everything horrible about a book is displayed in this.
Dani
4.5/5 stars (rounded up for GR)

A blend of science fiction, historical novel, thriller and romance, Rippler was an incredibly intriguing story that I just couldn’t put down. Told from the perspective of Samantha Ruiz, Swanson crafts a compelling mystery surrounding a rare genetic disease, interspersing Sam’s story of discovery with passages of an old journal written by a Nazi scientist who conducted rather horrendous psychological experiments during WWII. I found this blending of the past and pre
Larissa Hinton
Dec 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
You can read the full review on my blog here: http://teacherwritebookaholicohmy.blo...

I'll just tell you straight up: If this book was in paperback, I would have read it in two days.

I think we can end to review right there, huh, lol?

I really fell in love with this book, the author and the story line.

I had a few issues with it, as with most people, but they were really minor. Like her repeating guffawed alot and Phhst with certain characters. I think there were certain awkward phrases in there,
Megan
RIPPLER by Cidney Swanson is one of those interesting cases in books to me. On one hand, it was boring and implausible. On the other, it was interesting and kept me thinking and waiting for more. Let me preface this review by stating that my rating is skewed up because of circumstances even I don’t understand (actually, I’m feeling nice today), but this book is the type that will split reviewers down the middle between love and hate. I find myself on that fence, leaning one direction or the othe ...more
Melissa (The Reader & The Chef)
Love the cover. It looks beautiful with the girl's dress blown by the wind on the cliff, and the breathtaking view of the sea. I believe it fits perfectly with the whole Rippler concept, and how the soothing sound of the water calms Samantha Ruiz, allowing her to ripple or become invisible.

On to the story, Samantha found out she was able to disappear from the moment her mother and best friend died in a car crash, and has been afraid somebody would find out about her abnormality. Keeping this a s
Sandra Stiles
Dec 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Right from the first line this book grabs you and draws you in. It has something for everyone. It has a little bit of history, a mystery, some paranormal elements, realism. What is there not to like about it so far?
Samantha Ruiz, (Sam) is a typical teenager. She is on a rafting trip with her cross-country team when something strange happens to her. She disappears. Everyone believes she has fallen into the water. That is everyone except teammate Will. He helps her. This rippling, has happened to
Megan
'Rippler' was such an incredible story! I was able to read this book very quickly. This is the first fantasy novel that I have ever read and I didn't realize until I read this book, how entertaining fantasy novels can be. I will definitely be reading more of them in the future.

Sam Ruiz just learned that she is a Rippler, a person who can become invisible, and she learns that someone wants her, and all others like her, dead. This made the story very suspenseful, but the story also had it's light-
Abbie
Jan 19, 2013 rated it liked it
The ability to turn invisible would be a handy power to have.
It would be great for readers... It's one way we wouldn't be interrupted while at crucial points of the story!

There was a few lines in the book that really made me laugh.

The characters in "Rippler" are likable.
I liked Sam and Will's relationship, they were really cute together.
I also really like Will and Mickie's relationship. They argued a lot, but when it came down to it, they would always be there for each other.
It was nice to s
Craig Hansen
Jun 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rippler by Cidney Swanson is a pleasant first novel, surprising in its confidence straight out of the gate. Rather the load the opening down with fifty pages of info-dumps and telling, the novel opens mis-en-scene, with main protagonist Samantha not only utilizing her power - the ability to become invisible by "rippling" out of phase with the visible world around her - but in immediate peril because of it.

As the novel opens, Sam is on a whitewater rafting team-building outing with her cross-coun
Crystal Collier
Apr 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
It was totally the invisible girl aspect of this book that caught my attention, but then when my husband asked what the book was about, I found that unlike many books with redundant concepts, this one was truly unique. He agreed that it was pretty cool, conceptually.

I'll admit, I was a little put off by the journal entries which kept popping up at first. Their relevance isn't explained until around the midway point of the book. Still, the characters drove me on.

Now this isn't a super fast paced
Vered
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well written, original premise and good pacing. The romantic aspect is a bit predictable (it's YA paranormal, after all). Still, I enjoyed reading it and liked the strong female characters (no wilting wall flowers here) plus the unique idea of a genetic disorder that gives a person the power of invisibility. Now that's cool!
Prairie
Aug 18, 2019 rated it did not like it
OH MY GOD WITH THE HYPHENS!
Kari
Apr 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
hard to finish but I did.
Tara Calaby
In a young adult market that's quickly filling with urban fantasy and paranormal titles, Rippler is refreshingly different. There are no fated romances, no improbably perfect characters and no nagging thoughts of having read it all before. Instead, Cidney Swanson has crafted an enjoyable story with likeable characters and an intriguing mystery that helps it stand apart from many other examples of the genre.

From the beginning of Rippler, I enjoyed the fact that Sam's ability is not without its n
Al
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, yalit
I've had this book on my kindle for some time now and finally decided to give a go, but it turns out it's not for me. I did like the characters, but where it came to plot development, I didn't find the story exciting enough to keep me glued to the pages. It was just okay for me.
Eustacia Tan
Jan 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook
Note: I'm reviewing Rippler and the sequel Chameleon concurrently.

I got these two ebooks almost two months ago (I could make it sound longer by saying "last year"), but only started reading it about two or three days ago. And yet, I finished both books last night, that's how good they were. Currently, the Ripple Series consists of two books: Rippler and Chameleon. But for the sake of cohesiveness, I'm just going to talk about them as a whole.

The series revolves around Samantha, as she discovers
Lauren
Feb 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Sam’s life takes a drastic turn when she learns that she can do something others can’t. She can turn invisible. Her friend, Will, seems to know an awful lot about what’s going on with her; he even knows what it’s called: Rippling. Sam must learn all she can about rippling in order to control it; otherwise, she might just disappear or reappear in front of people who would ask far to many questions. As her secrets mount, Sam must strive to stay true to herself and is forced to make decisions that ...more
Emily
Jan 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Book Title: Rippler (Book one of the Ripple Series)

Author: Cidney Swanson

Published By: Williams Press

Genre: Supernatural Young Adult

Recommended Age:

Reviewed By: Emily Tuley / AngelsCryHavoc

Blog Reviewed For: Great Minds Think Aloud Literary Community

Rating: 5 Ravens

Starting this book was a real treat, I received it over the holidays and had the time to actually sit down and read not only this one but the sequel so that I wasn’t left to long hungering for more. The author really took her time wi
Lisa
Sep 01, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other
Originally posted at Read Me Bookmark Me Love Me

When Samantha suddenly turns invisible on a canoeing trip with her cross-country team, she is shocked when she realises that her friend, Will, is now aware of her secret. He's witnessed her in action and knows more about her ability than she does herself. Who is he and where is he getting his information from? In their possession is a journal from over a century ago, and in it they discover the deep dark secrets of a disturbed stranger, which could
Feb 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
Sam is nearly 16 and a keen member of her schools cross-country team. She's been alone and depressed in the past following the death of her mother and best friend in a drink related road traffic accident when she was seven. Recently though things have started to look up for her, an old childhood friend has returned to town, and she's become friends with Will, a boy on the cross-country team that she secretly has feelings for. Unfortunately that's when things start to go wrong again.

Whilst on a c
Quincidence
Sep 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Young Adult, ladies,
Recommended to Quincidence by: Librarything, Cidney Swanson
E-Book Format

Sensational! Beautifully charged with emotions of love; of family and country, the loyalty to friends, family and self, survival, family, loyalty, and religion as well as a scoop of non-vanilla science.

I like the feeling of how a child must come to terms with her identity, her friendships, and her sense of inner peace. She learns the mundane about pizza making, finds a waterfall hiking trail, and learns the dynamics of a non-nuclear family. While the normal steps of a high school s

• The Discovery (Pyxis, #1)
  • Sleepers (The Swarm Trilogy, #1)
  • Earth (Elemental, #1)
  • Taken (Channie, #2)
  • Raven (The Raven Saga, #1)
  • Into the Shadows (Into the Shadows, #1)
  • The Childe (The Childe, #1)
  • iFeel (Vis Vires Trilogy, #1)
  • Brightest Kind of Darkness (Brightest Kind of Darkness, #1)
  • Son of Eden (Tales of the Guardian #1)
  • The Pearl Savage (Savage, #1)
  • Night Marchers (Night Marchers, #1)
  • Wander Dust (The Seraphina Parrish Trilogy, #1)
  • Exiled (Immortal Essence #1)
  • I Wish... (The Witches of Desire #1)
  • Bound (Arelia LaRue, #1)
  • Sundial

• Visible (Ripple, #4)
  • Immutable (Ripple, #5)
  • Knavery (Ripple, #6)
  • Perilous (Ripple, #7)
“For the record, chocolate’s a pretty decent antidote for unrequited love.” 14 likes
“Then like gravity, or maybe like magnets, our lips met again because they had to. And in that touch it felt like I was buried treasure he’d crossed seven seas to claim. I couldn’t feel the edges of my own body anymore; I was melting into his.” 4 likes