Start by marking “Exes and Ohs: A Downtown Girl's (Mostly Awkward) Tales of Love, Lust, Revenge, and a Little Facebook Stalking” as Want to Read:

3.24  ·  Rating details ·  189 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Think you’ve have some outrageous dating horror stories? You don't have anything on Shallon Lester.

Spunky Shallon Lester has accumulated more than her fair share of embarrassing stories. In this collection of hilarious essays, she chronicles her dorky, daring, and awkward journey from waitress at the ninth circle of hell known as Houston's Time Square restaurant, to colum
Published June 7th 2011 by Three Rivers Press (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Exes and Ohs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Exes and Ohs

Kelly
Dear Twenty-Something Women,

I understand the desire to emulate the ladies of Sex and the City. Fabulous parties, moral ambiguity, cosmopolitans, an infinite conveyor belt loaded with hot men and even hotter clothes...what's not to love? But, not to hurt that pretty little head of yours, that's just good television. It's not real life. In real life, a sane woman would not scuff her $475 Manola Blaniks as she runs down a urine-staurated alley in an attempt to escape seeing her ex-boyfriend. A real
Jessica
Jun 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shallon Lester is an intriguing personality in just her seemingly unmarriageable traits: she's the girl who makes sure to give food to the homeless whenever she can but she also makes sure she exacts revenge on any enemy that crosses her (food seems to be her weapon of choice). In the end, Shallon is likeable because she doesn't hold back about any of these things - she can go from being obsessed about giving back to the community to being obsessed with becoming famous. Her honesty is clear, and ...more
Hannah
Mar 27, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
This was painful to read, the narrator is sexist and bigoted and I couldn't stand to read it anymore. All of the plots were weak and uninteresting as well. I didn't finish it and I don't see myself ever doing so.
Teri
Jun 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Since Shallon is a Uni grad, a number of my Facebook friends notified everyone that her newest book was available, so I had it downloaded to my Kindle right away. It was a very fun read! So funny, partly because her life is so different from mine, but it is what I'd like mine to have been when I was in my twenties. It reads like a memoir with a clever amusing style that is consistently entertaining. Her adventures in Manhattan, full of name-dropping and restaurant-referencing, blend in well with ...more
Shannon
Jun 20, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Though this fit the light and breezy book I was looking for, there was nothing about Shallon's book that set her apart from anyone else. I love reading single girl memoirs but this one just didn't have me hoping she'll come out with one soon. I did start to follower her on Twitter though and I would recommend doing just that.
Lori
Aug 16, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
sometimes eh, sometimes really funny.... a very light read told in a bunch of short stories by a blogger and mtv reality star.... has some laugh out loud moments.... nice to have a breezy read for summer or travel.... would share with others... all in all enjoyed...
Meredith O'Donnell
This is just a perfectly fluffy, light summer beach read. Don't expect anything deep, poignant, or thought-provoking, just accept it for what it is: A Cosmopolitan article in book form.
Winnie T
May 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This Novel is about the life of MTV reality-TV star, Shallon Lester. It is basically an autobiography about how through her awkward years, she got to be a TV star. She talks a lot about boys and dating as well since is also a dating columnist. I think the theme of this novel should be: To believe in your dreams. Since Shallon put a lot of dedication to what she believed in, she became a TV-star."Thanks to my inherent weirdness and endless string of dating debacles, I eventually landed myself an ...more
Gabrielle
Oct 15, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, re-read
This was the perfect book to pull me out of a funk. It wasn't a guy related funk but I'm sure it'd give you a few laughs even as you mourn your unrequited love or jerk of an ex-boyfriend. My hardship was a broken blender.

The book had me laughing until I couldn't breathe, choking on my spit, tears leaking from my eyes and ending with me coughing like death is near. And for the time being I forgot my sorrows.

[UPDATE - JAN 2016]
Again I needed something to give me a couple quick and silly laughs, an
Samantha
Jul 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cracking me up every step of the way. Lester isn't the most squeaky-clean character and certainly isn't reasonable, but she's likable and in the end her faults become laughs. If I was to write a book it'd be something just like this one. A smidgen deeper, but (I hope) just as entertaining.
Janetlynnrhodes
A very random collection of essays by a very disturbed mess. Albeit funny at times, this book us horribly written and is all over the place (much like the author I suppose)I hope Shallon Lester uses some of her profits for therapy.
Sharla
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
LOVED this book!! A hilarious read about a 20something NYC gal and her trials and tribulations of single life & dating. She's witty, blunt, and sometimes a bit crass. I ::heart:: her.
Leira Carola
This booked should've been titled #WhiteGirlProblems.

The perfect book if you're in the mood for shallow, racist, and homophobic remarks.
Kari
Sep 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Fun and Hilarious read!
Lori
Dec 12, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

Single girl in the city relates her ups and downs (mostly downs) with men.

It was amusing but not hilarious and left me with the feeling that I'd read this all somewhere before.
Renee
Jul 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious book. Lester's adventures were so outrageous you almost want to not believe them. It's a book of stories and good ones at that.
April
Dec 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good funny read. The beginning is the best, I was laughing so hard I wanted to cry. The end isn't as laugh out loud, but if you're looking for a fun Sex & the City type of read, this is great.
Arnab Ghosh
Jan 29, 2013 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shallon Lester
Jill
Oct 03, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
A friend loaned me this book, though it's not my typical read. It was entertaining and light, as the author shares her misadventures in dating.
Arielle
Light. Good beach read. Will make you LOL.
Lisa
Aug 07, 2011 rated it liked it
A great summer read -
Elizabeth Owens
Nov 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love it! I normally do not enjoy every chapter of nonfiction books, but I did for this novel. Shallon is funny and witty. You cannot help but love her and get swept up in her story.
Christina
Aug 07, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoirs
Some parts were laugh-out-loud funny, but towards the end of the book, all of the essays started to seem the same. A short, fluffy, humorous read.
alinatodd
The kind of book I would have written at the age of 25. Cute and funny.
Kristin
Meg Mardian
Jan 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • How to Get Divorced by 30: My Misguided Attempt at a Starter Marriage
  • More Sand in My Bra: Funny Women Write from the Road, Again!
  • The Thong Also Rises: Further Misadventures from Funny Women on the Road
  • Five Men Who Broke My Heart: A Memoir
  • Target Underwear and a Vera Wang Gown: Notes from a Single Girl's Closet
  • Geek Girls Unite: How Fangirls, Bookworms, Indie Chicks, and Other Misfits Are Taking Over the World
  • Book
  • Reading Lips: A Memoir of Kisses
  • Confessions of a Guidette
  • Not a Happy Camper: A Memoir
  • Financial Accounting
  • Shield of the Sky (Stone God, #1)
  • The Bearwalker's Daughter
  • The Snark Handbook: A Reference Guide to Verbal Sparring
  • Where You Left Me
  • Vampire Stories from the American South
  • Dire Predictions: Understanding Global Warming - The Illustrated Guide to the Findings of the IPCC
  • Tornado Warning: A Memoir of Teen Dating Violence and Its Effect On A Woman's Life