Start by marking “Beyond Instinct (Mission: Classified, #1)” as Want to Read:
Beyond Instinct (Mission: Classified, #1)

Beyond Instinct

(Mission: Classified #1)

Vaughn Elliott is a member of the State Department s Diplomatic Security Force. Someone high up in the United States government has pulled rank, hand-selecting her to oversee security for a visit by congressional VIPs to the West African nation of Mali. The question is, who picked her for the job and why?

Sage McNally, a career diplomat, is the political officer at the U.S
Published May 1st 2011 by Phoenix Rising Press

To ask other readers questions about Beyond Instinct, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond Instinct

Lex Kent
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wow talk about exciting! This book grabbed me from the beginning and didn't let go until the end. This is my first book read by Ames, and I enjoyed every second. The action is so faced past that I felt almost like I couldn't stop and take a breath till about 2/3 the way through. And you only get a short break, then the action picks right back up. This book is the true definition of a page turning thriller.
Also want to mention the book cover is gorgeous, drew me to the book right away.
The only do
lov2laf
I have some frustration with this one. In truth, I nearly gave up on it the first 20% of the book but I'm glad I stuck with it.

The book attempts to do two things, be a romance first and a then thriller. For me, it failed in the former. The first 20% of the book focuses on Vaughn, an emotionally scarred former CIA agent and Sage, a woman working in the Ambassador's office, where Vaughn's next assignment takes place. The author attempts to build chemistry between the two leads, initially going on
Dide
Sep 03, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a good read and my rating is more 3.5 than 3. Plot, characters etc. were all quite captivating. I do have a problem understanding why Fairhaven posted Vaughn when he new she is a good agent. That angle just isn't clear to me. That said this was an enjoyable read just not in my 4star range
Claire
Aug 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Gripping page turner, loved the story and the people in this book and the way everything its resolved by the end.
Barrett
Jul 31, 2011 rated it liked it
This was a fast paced and well researched international thriller with courageous, professional women driving the story. Add in some insidious bad guys and some resourceful allies and the story sizzled.
Sally Trotter
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A rollercoaster ride

This is a book I had meant to read for ages and am kicking myself for not getting to it sooner. One he'll of a story with twists and turns on every other page well worth its 5 stars can't wait to read the next one
Sunny
May 21, 2013 rated it liked it
I would probably give this one 3 1/2 stars if I could, but rounded down instead of up because I didn't want to rate it quite as high as those I've rated a 4. Enjoyable and interesting plot even if you do have to suspend belief just a little bit. Really difficult things seem to happen a little too easily and there's always a 'friend' in line to call for help.

The connection between Vaughn and Sage seemed to be really strong, REALLY fast. I think it had something to do with Sage reminding Vaughn of
Erin
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Like movies I have an affinity for stories that are action packed and keep me turning the page. Lynn Ames nails it all together in Beyond Instinct with an action packed adventure that I truly enjoyed. Ames did an outstanding job of tying the whole story together in a solid story, fast paced action and great ending. From the moment Vaughn Elliott is introduced and running toward an explosion the action just gets faster and faster. Add in Sage McNally with her intellect and huge heart and I couldn ...more
CK
Sep 21, 2013 added it
Shelves: les-fic, mystery
It's all in the details and Lynn Ames gets the details right in this series. Showing obvious knowledge of her subject, Ames weaves a believable web of political intrigue. I confess that I often skim through the background details of a novel, when an author doesn't persuade me the time spent will be worthwhile. Not so with Beyond Instinct. I read every word and still finished the book in two nights, because the suspenseful story demanded my interest more than sleep.
Elaine Burnes
Nov 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lesbian
Like Mission: Impossible for lesbians. Very much a page turner. Basic, uber-Xena type plot where strong, silent former CIA agent Vaugn takes a security job at an embassy in Mauritania and meets Sage, who reminds Vaughn of Sara, who, well, that's for the opening. Sage goes missing, Vaughn goes after Sage and things really rock and roll along quite intensely. Problems are solved a little too easily and quickly, but overall, quite good.
M
Aug 29, 2013 rated it liked it
I have to admit that this book became a bit of a struggle by the end. Every time that a seemingly impossible situation occurred, the was always a way around the latest insurmountable problem that usually involved amazing friends, with incredible resources. If such people existed and had the level of skill displayed, they would rule the world.

The ending felt incredibly abrupt and lacking in drama. The huge chunk of exposition at the end tied everything up very neatly.
Line
Apr 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Would have given it 3 1/2 stars.
Laurie
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
This novel will keep you hooked until the end. Thoughtfully written believability. The first book I have read by this author and I am now looking forward to reading others by her.
Baxter Trautman
Other than a distracting jumble of character view-points in each chapter, Beyond Instinct is a well-written thriller couched inside a lesbian romance. A cut above the average for this genre.
Samantha
Mar 19, 2012
Asian_peepshotmail.com
Mar 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Rainey Season (Rainey Bell, #3)
  • From the Boots Up
  • Miles to Go (Rennie Vogel Intrigue #1)
  • Hunter's Pursuit
  • The Devil Inside (Cain Casey, #1)
  • Honor Under Siege (Honor, #6)
  • Legacy of Love
  • Snow Moon Rising
  • The Seeker
  • Conflict of Interest (Portland Police Bureau, #1)
  • First Instinct
  • It Should Be a Crime
  • From a Distance
  • 96 Hours
Lynn Ames is the best-selling author of The Price of Fame, The Cost of Commitment, The Value of Valor, One ~ Love, Heartsong, Eyes on the Stars, Beyond Instinct, Above Reproach, All That Lies Within, Bright Lights of Summer, Final Cut, Great Bones, and one of five authors of the collection Outsiders. She also is the writer/director/producer of the history-making documentary, “Extra Innings: The Re ...more

Mission: Classified (2 books)
  • Above Reproach (Mission: Classified, #2)