Start by marking “The Wolf's Hour” as Want to Read:
The Wolf's Hour

The Wolf's Hour

(Michael Gallatin #1)

This book is a remarkable tale of pulse-pounding excitement with a uniquely sympathetic, fascinating portrait of the werewolf as noble warrior-and conflicted being. Complex, compelling and utterly real.
Mass Market Paperback, 603 pages
Published August 15th 1990 by Pocket Books (first published January 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Wolf's Hour, please sign up.

Bradley
Apr 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Straight epic WWII historical adventure filled with heroism and sacrifice... or a sexed-up epic werewolf story from childhood through adulthood.

What do YOU prefer?

Fortunately, YOU don't have to make a choice! It's all here!

And guess what? This is all a huge tome with a very long and very adventuresome escapade revolving WWII from resistance fighters, going deep into enemy German territory, Russia, and back to England. It's a pretty wild ride and a ton happens. If you like your stories long and
Dan Schwent
Jan 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, 2012
Michael Gallatin is a master spy during World War II. He also happens to be a werewolf. He comes out of retirement for one last mission: to stop a secret Nazi operation called Iron Fist. Can Michael stop Iron Fist and retain his humanity?

The Wolf's Hour is what would happen if Captain America was a werewolf instead of a super-hero. Yes, I remember the atrocious CapWolf storyline from the 1990's. That doesn't count since it didn't happen during World War II.

Wolf's Hour tells two parallel stories:
Jonathan Janz
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I’ve only read two McCammon books so far (SWAN SONG and THE WOLF’S HOUR), but I’ve come to a conclusion.

Robert McCammon doesn’t write novels. He writes masterpieces.

I expected that of SWAN SONG, since many folks place it up there with (and, in some minds, above) one of my favorite novels, Stephen King’s THE STAND. After reading SWAN SONG, I felt the praise was warranted. It’s a towering classic of our genre.

What I didn’t expect was for THE WOLF’S HOUR to rival the majesty of SWAN SONG.

THE WOLF’S
Arah-Lynda
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-said, paperwhite
Whenever I pick up a McCammon novel what I know for sure is that I will be entertained. My introduction to his writing was through Swan Song oh so many years ago and I can remember thinking more than once as I read it, that I needed to see what else this guy had written.

This was a reread for me. Many years have passed since the first time and once again Mr. McCammon took control and just told me a fantastic story. And that friends is what it’s all about.

The story moves back and forth in time be
Joe Valdez
Dec 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
British agent Michael Gallatin parachutes into occupied France on a mission deemed critical to the imminent Allied invasion of Europe in June 1944. He's assisted by a secret only three others on earth are privy to: Michael Gallatin is a werewolf. Resistance fighters, Gestapo agents and civilians caught in their web each sense something unique about Gallatin, and as the story moves back in time to Russia, we see how an adolescent Mikhail Gallatinov came to acquire his unique abilities ...

If you d
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
What if one of the Allies' greatest spies during WWII was a werewolf?

The Wolf's Hour is the story of Michael Gallatin, born Mikhail Gallatinov. His journey is sprawling and meaty, full of intense moments, both emotional and physical. Although I am not sure this technically counts as an epic, it feels very epic to me. Because there is so much to see about how Michael goes from being a privileged eight-year-old during the bloody Russian Revolution to a thirty-four year old British Secret Service
Em Lost In Books
Aug 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
After reading the blurb of this book I am not sure what was I expecting from this book. I have not read a lot of World War and spy books, the only plus point of this book to me was that the lead of the book was a werewolf. I have read McCammon’s Boy’s Life which is one of my all time favorites, and I wanted to read more books by him so I picked this, a decision I am never going to regret.

Wolf’s Hour tells us the story of Michael Galletine, a British spy, during the World War II. He has all the
Paul Nash
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.75 stars...near perfect!

That was one amazing adventure! Positively the BEST werewolf book I've ever read! The wolf attacks were brutal...and the back story of how Michael became a werewolf was awesome!!
Besides Boy's Life and Swan Song, this is another favorite McCammon of mine!
Historical fiction mixed with a horrific mythical creature....equals one awesome story!
This one will leave you howling at the moon...ok...I know!, but I just had to say it.
Highly recommended!
Michael
Apr 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is probably my favorite of all the McCammon books. How can you go wrong with a werewolf master spy fighting against the Nazis? You can't.
Its just pure pulp fun. Some may consider it trash but they're just not enlightened.
Bill
If Jason Bourne and rabid Lassie had a love child on the set of The Dirty Dozen directed by John Woo, this is what you’d get.

Nazi’s make me fucking sick. I can’t believe that this kind of shit went down not all that long ago. Anytime a Nazi piece of shit gets killed I can’t help but want to stand up and cheer and there was no shortage of it in this one. Good. Fuckers.

Oh yeah, and there were werewolves in here too. A little spy thriller/ espionagey (yes, that is a word) for me, but I believe it w
Miriam
Jun 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Trashy, genre-crossing mess about a Russian refugee werewolf fighting Nazis and having sex. I read this when I was in my early teens and thought it was pretty pervy, but I'm sure it would seem mild compared to lots of later "paranormal" novels.
Algernon
Oct 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
I could go even to [9/10] for the sheer amount of entertainment I got out the Michael Gallatin adventures and the skilled control of McCammon over the plot and the pacing of the narrative.
There are a lot of things done good in this high octane thriller and few to criticize. In true Indiana Jones style the hero goes from one rollercoater ride to another, from the sand dunes of El Alamein to the rooftop of the Paris Opera and from the rushing train on the Berlin outskirts to a desolate rocky islan
Srividya
We are all familiar with the old adage, Time and Tide wait for none, and this truly applies to me. I am that grasshopper that starts working at the last minute; be it studying for exams or completing tasks or even reading books. Procrastination is something that is like second skin to me and I have to admit that I am not proud of it. Only true procrastinators will understand the futility of advising us with dire consequences. It is as I said part and parcel of our lives. Why am I taking about pr ...more
Kimberly
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: group-read
To come.
Christina Dodd
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fabulously entertaining, an exotic blend of paranormal, war thriller and romance. Defies category. Highly recommend.
Dustin Manning
Oct 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: werewolf, WWII war stories, spy novel lovers
This is still to date one of my all time favorite novels. McCammon has written some great tales but this is one I can (and have) read over and over and over again. 007 meet the Wolf man; actually no... 007 IS the Wolf man. McCammon takes you back and forth between WWII espionage, personal vendetta, 007 spy action and werewolf Russian heritage. As much as i would love to read a sequel I don't want the fun of the original to be squandered. If you want a great werewolf novel or just an interesting ...more
Wayne Barrett
Werewolves, sex, spies, assassins, nazis... man this book had it all.

This was not so much a scary book as it was an action packed thriller. McCammon does provide some gruesome scenes along the way, so scary or not, this is still a horror novel fit for a good pre-Halloween read.

Along the way we are given some back-story glimpses of our protagonists life and his transformation into a lycanthrope, but the bulk of the story deals with him in human form as an undercover agent endeavoring to aid the
Ritch
Jan 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who start werewolf blogs, fans of high camp, perverts.
The fact that this book even exists is so great, I can barely even contain myself. My friend M. Sweeney Lawless passed it on to me when I was working on a screenplay based on my werewolf blog, and I fell in love, mainly with the huge balls it took the author to write this book.

From the Back Jacket: "He is Michael Gallatin, master spy, lover-and werewolf. Able to change shape with the lightning speed, to kill silently with savage, snarling fury, he proved his talents against Rommel in Africa. An
Sep 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a great read. It had a bit of everything and it is well written to boot. And it works. All of it. Yes even the werewolf part. Well done. I want more. I love the being in the present and then the flashbacks. They were some of my favorite chapters. Yes. Chapters of flashbacks. A complete second story. I am sure there are amazing reviews out there about this book. All I can say is that I can recommend it to anyone. Why is there not more??
J.K. Grice
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Another splendid story from Robert McCammon. THE WOLF'S HOUR is a high octane supernatural war adventure, that makes you feel like you're in another grand Indiana Jones movie. The characters and the intrigue are wonderful. This book keeps you guessing until the end. Fantastic...
Rob Schumann
Jan 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I'll be reviewing more of Robert McCammon's books, but this is one of my favorites. Of course I can't get my wife to read it since she still judges the book by its cover and says, "I don't want to read a book with a werewolf on the cover howling at the moon." *sigh*

That being said, they really should change the cover art for this book, because it is NOT a cheezy werewolf novel at all. It's a fantastic journey thru the life of a man who indeed gets bitten by a wolf and then is taken into the pack
Daniel
Oct 12, 2011 rated it liked it
The Good

Michael Gallatin is a werewolf who works for the allies during World War II. The top brass asks him to head deep behind enemy lines to make contact with a double agent so that he can retrieve information that will reveal Hitler's Super Secret Plan to overcome the grim economic consequences of running a military state and actually win the Second World War. Why does it all fall to this dapper, lycanthropic individual? Because he's the man for the job, dammit!

The Not-so-good

Ya got your pres
The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon)
Reviewer’s Note: This is a three and a half star book on the Hugh-Scale. It is possible that, at some level, I am seeking vengeance on McCammon because this book isn’t as good as “Swan Song.” Then again, not many books are. I rated Swan Song as a 5 and, in my opinion there is something special in that book. There are special parts of Wolf’s Hour, though I think, overall those parts do not add up to a higher rating. At any rate, 3.5 is a good score from me, and, there are certainly parts of this ...more
Bill
Oct 29, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
It takes a pretty good writer to pull this off:
Write an espionage tale about a British spy who is in a race against time to determine what secret the Germans have in mind to thwart the Allied Invasion of Europe. Now throw in the fact that he's a werewolf without making the whole thing sound stupid.

Yeah, it sounds really stupid, and the front cover of my paperback does nothing to dispel that.
But it really works! Of course, it helps if you're the type of reader who can suspend disbelief and just s
Carl Alves
Mar 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
When I was in high school I wanted to write a story with a werewolf and my friend suggested I read this book. I had never heard of Robert McCammon before so I wasn’t sure what to expect. What I got was a book that I couldn’t put down. Wolf’ s Hour is much more than just a werewolf book, although just at that level, it’s a fantastic read.

Wolf’s Hour is as much a World War II novel who’s main character, Michael Gallatin is a British spy who also happens to be a werewolf. That in itself is a pretty
11811 (Eleven)
I was expecting this to be the best werewolf novel I would ever read because McCammon is such a fantastic writer but I was disappointed. The werewolf portions of the story were excellent and worthy of five stars but over half of the book was more of a spy novel and that's just not my thing. It may have been well done but I don't care for the James Bond stuff. Our protagonist was a little too perfect. I like my heroes flawed. Fatally so if possible.

This was still a good read; just not what I was
Jon
Jun 29, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The Wolf’s Hour is, essentially, two stories. In fact, I’d go as far as to argue that this novel may well have started out as two completely separate ideas, before being forcibly merged together into its final form. I have absolutely no concrete evidence to support my (admittedly rather tenuous) claim, but at some point over the course of this review I’ll try to explain why I think this may be the case.

The principal plot thread sees our hero, Michael Gallatin (born and raised in Russia as Mikhai
Chris
Oct 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"What is the soul of a lycanthrope in the eyes of God?"

This is so much more than a werewolf story. We follow Michael Gallatin, the tortured protagonist of this wonderful novel, from his tragic and violent childhood to his coming of age in a band of werewolves and finally through his adventures as an uniquely skilled spy for the Allies in World War 2.

Part coming of age novel, part traditional horror story, part thrilling and atmospheric historical spy thriller---it excels at all three. I found th
Nick
The Wolf's Hour is my second McCammon book. The first read, The Night Boat was Nazi Zombies which I enjoyed and this book, which may be termed Nazi's and Werewolves was equally enjoyable.

McCammon is mentioned in the same breath as Stephen King and is an author I want to read more of (along with King).

There are two stories in this book. First, is how the main character became a werewolf and his experiences with his pack. Second, is the main character taking on the might of the Nazi's.

The Nazi sto
David Church
Feb 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Robert McCammon is such an amazing writer. Loved the Wolf’s Hour, a brilliant read. For me mixing horror, espionage, classic World War II, and adventure it is a win-win. Has that Brian Lumley Necroscope feel to it except with werewolves instead of Vampires. McCammon is such a vivid writer, he really sucks the reader into the atmosphere of the story I could almost smell the gun oil off of the weapons fired or the smell of pine in the forest when Michael was in his wolf form running through the wo ...more
  • Wolf Hunt
  • Ravenous
  • Moon Dance
  • The Mailman
  • The Nightwalker
  • Reprisal (Adversary Cycle, #5)
  • The Wolfen
  • Wolf's Gambit
  • The Bridge
  • High Moor
  • Wild Blood
  • In the Flesh (Books of Blood #5)
  • The Passion (Devoncroix Dynasty, #1)
  • The Stake
  • Children of the Night
  • Midnight Sun
Robert Rick McCammon was a full-time horror writer for many years. After taking a hiatus for his family, he returned to writing with an interest in historical fiction.

The sixth book in his Matthew Corbett historical fiction series, Freedom of the Mask, was published in May 2016.

The second book in the Trevor Lawson I Travel by Night series, Last Train from Perdition, was published in October 2016.

H

Michael Gallatin (2 books)
  • The Hunter from the Woods
“If you make friends with pain, you have a friend for life.” 5 likes
“In repose his face seemed to become darker still, and as the wattage of those green eyes fell their somber hue made Margritta think of the color in the deep shadow of a primeval forest, a place of secrets best left unexplored. And, perhaps, a place also of great dangers. He” 0 likes