Start by marking “Anathema (Causal Enchantment, #1)” as Want to Read:
Anathema (Causal Enchantment, #1)

Anathema

(Causal Enchantment #1)

Evangeline has spent her teenage years in obscurity. Her foster parents have the emotional aptitude of robots and her classmates barely acknowledge her existence. About to turn eighteen and feeling like a social pariah, she is desperate to connect with someone. Anyone.

When Evangeline meets Sofie after literally stumbling upon her café, she believes she’s found that
Published May 27th 2011 (first published May 25th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Anathema, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anathema

Start your review of Anathema (Causal Enchantment, #1)
Shelly Crane
Oct 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-books
I bought this book and it sat on my kindle forever, sad to say. The description threw me off. I thought it was going to be some kind of sarcastic mob style vampire book and the dreams that they mentioned would barely be explored and they'd be gruesome and uninteresting.

Wowza, was I wrong! I loved this book and can't believe I waited so long to start it. It flowed smoothly. I never got bored or stalled or wanted to put it down. I've read a lot of good books, but it's been a while where I've
Vanessa *Bluest Ribbon*
Lucia
Sep 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All Paranormal Lovers
Shelves: ya, paranormal
My Evangeline and Caden:

“There are two kinds of spells.
Little, easy spells that you can learn and do anytime, anywhere—start fires, disguise yourself, that kind of stuff. But then there are other spells, where you’re directly altering fate—life and death. That’s a Causal Enchantment spell.”

Evangeline is selfless, caring, diligent almost 18-years old girl who is always trying to help others. But after death of her mom five years ago, noone really paid attention to her. Until she meets Sofia,
Jamie
Dec 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
"Hello, my name is Jamie and I am free kindle book hoarder."

I literally download every single kindle book I see that is free and I might, maybe, someday read. Does this mean I read them all? No. Absolutely not. Most of the time I just sit there and look at them and then go and buy a book for 2.99 that I really wanted to read or that got rave reviews somewhere.

Anathema was a book I got for free and it sat on my kindle for awhile. I was flipping through my books and saw it and thought hey, that
Savannah (Books With Bite)
I don't even know where to begin with this book. The storyline was so unique and very creative that this book is devouring! By the end of the first chapter, I was not hooked, but so engrosslly enthralled that I could not, would not, put this book down.

What got me hooked about this book was the unique storyline. Yes, it has vampires in it, but there is so much more to the story. The history of the book laid out a very chaotic future, with great description. I adored the storyline and the way it
AJ
4.5 stars for a fun, exciting PNR read which is full of surprises!

I’ve been a fan of KA Tucker’s for some time now, and I’ve been meaning to start this series for a while, and I’m so glad I finally did! This book is a great start to an exciting and unique YA paranormal series, and I am completely enthralled in the story she has created.

Evangeline is a lonely almost-18 year old girl. After the death of her mother five years ago she entered the foster care system but has never really made any
Jackie -Sated Faery
Loved it! I really wasn't too sure about another Vampire book - but this was very unique! Almost a Vampire Dystopian. Lots of twists & suspense along with that little bit of romance that a great book needs! I am gonna be pulling my hair out waiting on the next installment!!
Jaime (Two Chicks on Books)
Kathleen Tucker's debut novel Anathema was an amazing read! I couldn't categorize it as a Urban Fantasy YA read alone as there are some Dystopian aspects to it as well. The two different worlds she has created are both wonderfully amazing places one set in New York with shopping trips to Prada and extravagant homes. The other a world where theres no technology around and people live in caves with warm underground springs with beautiful waterfalls. The twist is whats the kicker here and I wish I ...more
Faye
I think I just got my first taste of paranormal, dystopian, urban fantasy, action, mystery, suspense fused all in one epic book!

I’ve always wondered what would happen if vampires couldn’t control their hunger...and Tucker created just that. Anathema is VERY original. I haven’t read anything like it. There was a lot of dystopian elements and fuse that in with paranormal, vampires, and sorcerers...I know awesome is kind of an over exaggerated word but it really was awesome!

Tucker doesn't stray
Lindley Walter-smith
This could really use a good editor/beta, given the frequent word misusage and sone continuity problems, as well as overwriting.of the emerald eyes kind. For all that, and despite the instalove, this is a terrifically entertaining ride. The best way I can describe it is that it's the kind of book you race through wanting to know what's going to happen and if your guesses are correct. It's really a fun read.

I will warn, though, that Evangeline is quite literally the most dimwitted protagonist
Aileen Cadiente
Jun 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! That's the only word that came to mind while I was reading this book. It gripped me from the very beginning. This book is about vampires but it has a unique story and it doesn't have your typical vampire love storyline that you get from other books. It's so refreshing to read a vampire book with a different tale. There's a lot of mysteries to be solved, the romance was just enough that it didn't get me all mushy. Reading the book made me feel like I'm in a dinner mystery theater, trying to ...more
Kenya Wright
I truly enjoyed this book. There were times when I attempted to predict the story and fell short.
Lovely writing.
No sex scenes but lovely sweet romance.
The cool thing about this book is that its set in two different worlds, one a vampire dystopia and one our regular time. I found that to be unique and well-imagined!

This is the type of book that motivates me as a writer to push my imagination farther.
Kathryn
Jun 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, ya, pnr
OH...MY...GOODNESS!!! What a fantastic book...I couldn't put it down. I was captivated by it and I am dying to read the next one.
I love Evangeline and the twists and turns this book keeps you on the edge of your seat waiting to see what is going to happen....and boy did it give you some surprising outcomes...!!
Loved it!! Blew my mind away...a definite must read!
Kristen
Jun 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
GENRE: Paranormal Romance
THEME: Vampires/Magic
RECEIVED: Received for Review from Author
BLOG: http://seeingnight.blogspot.com/

REVIEW:
Anathema had a very original plot using the typical vampire paranormal romance, but Tucker was able to create a very unique plot that really intrigued me. The story is full of deception and adventure, the lead character being pushed and pulled in every direction and as the reader you’re along for a very adventurous ride.

Evangeline is a young girl who has a very
Simone
Dec 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!
Talk about intriguing!!
I was fascinated at every turn.
Vampires, witches, parallel universes, talking dogs (well they don't talk, but their master can hear the dog's voice in their head ... I'd love for my Dalmatian to say to me "hey mum, get me a snack will ya?" instead of nosing me all the time teehee)
Clever, entertaining, and with a hint of love
And there is another book to come *happy dancing*
Mindy
May 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Yay! I was given the opportunity to review another fabulous book! And guess what? It is a Vampire romance!

K. A. Tucker has created both a fantastic Urban Fantasy world (set in New York) AND a completely separate Dystopia Fantasy world! Can it get any better than that? The Urban Fantasy world Tucker created mirrors the earth in a lot of ways, but the other, Dystopia world has been completely taken over by Vampires and humans have been extinct for 700 years, AND their world has gone downhill ever
Erin
Wow, this was a completely new twist on the vampire stories!! With so many books, movies, and tv shows about vamps, it's hard to say there's anything unique out there involving the blood-suckers, but this is definitely something new! Tucker has thrown in witches, werebeasts, a dystopian setting, and a sci-fi twist of dueling universes to create a captivating, intriguing story unlike any other!

Evangeline is such a sweet, determined heroine. She comes across as so innocent and naive when we first
Jessica Hansen
Jul 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When starting Anathema I hadn't read the synopsis in so long that it was like jumping into the dark. So when meeting Evangeline for the first time she seemed lost, but so would any other 17 year old in foster care with no friends. As she stumbled upon Sophie, literally, and instantly had a friendship, my mind was racing with "typical" directions that the book could go in.
No way in hell would I have ever imagined the worlds that K.A. created. Falling asleep every night in a lavish room Evageline
Jacquelyn
Jun 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Talk about leaving a girl suspended in midair…. And I am not just talking about the main character Evangeline, whose future is a blank slate of possibilities that will likely include pandemonium in every way. A khaki existence until a wicked and unbelievable opportunity is presented to her in the form of excitement, adventure, deception, and love…a chance to turn Khaki to Crimson. I too have been suspended in midair… nothing to cling to but my overactive imagination, playing scenes from this ...more
Katy
Jun 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of paranormal/urban fantasy/vampires
Shelves: ebook
Please note: I read this e-book in September 2011 from a copy I picked up free on promotion from Amazon. I'm just updating the formatting. All opinions are my own.

My Synopsis: Evangeline has been an orphan for 5 years and living in foster homes when she stumbles – quite literally – across a beautiful woman named Sophie who owns a small cafė in Portland, Maine. Sophie offers Evangeline a job at her cafė, but then next day when Evangeline arrives, Sophie announces she has to go to New York and
Stephanie
May 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow.

I picked this book up this morning. I began reading, and soon found that my Nook was permanently attached to my hand.

Who can you trust?

That is just the question Eve (Evangeline) is asking herself. Having grown up without a father, then having to live with the death of her mother. Evangeline felt alone. Then steps in her "saving grace" Sofie, well . . maybe. Meeting Sofie maybe wasn't such a great life saving event after all . . . or was it?

Off to New York to help Sofie out. Evangeline
Andi
Jun 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I enjoyed this YA story that combines vampirism, werebeasts, magic, and alternate universes.

Evangeline was a likable lead. She is sweet and generous in nature, and is always willing to see the good in those she meets. Her life suddenly changes on her 18th birthday and events start to unfold that reveal much about her past and future.

This book is fast-paced, has an interesting story, and great supporting characters. Caden is also a yummy hottie. I definitely recommend this one!

$2.99 on Kindle
Laura Lulu
If you're a fan of instalove, stupid female leads, and gaping plot holes, then you'll like this book more than I did. I swear, if I read one more book with a perfectly perfect vision of manly vampire perfection, who falls in instant, angst-filled, 'I'd die for you' love with a mousy, naive, social misfit human, I'm going to develop a severe hematoma from *headdesk* syndrome. When I think about the girls who read books like this and think, "OMG. She's just like ME!" Truly, I just want to vomit.
Tahlia Newland
Jun 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
What a great book. Well written, great characters I could relate to instantly, an interesting, unusual story and a good ending. I got it off Smashwords for very little and really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to the next in the series.
Maria
Jun 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Anathema was an Awesome read!! If you love Vampires and Magic this book is for you! I loved Evageline and Sofie and can I please get a Max!! Such a cool story and the end definitely leaves you wanting more:) Can't wait for the next one!!
Giselle
Sep 21, 2011 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
This is free at the moment: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/...
Sofie
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So this was Kathleen’s first book? Well like always I am impressed. This book had a slight twilight feel to it which I loved. The characters and the storyline are all so different to anything I’ve ever read of hers and yet there’s still that same writing laced through the book which I love so much.

The only reason this book got 4 stars is because of Evangeline, I do like her a lot but what I loved so much about her other books is the strong heroines that this book does not possess. I hope she
Adrian Fridge
Jan 01, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
This book has the unfortunate fate of being my first try back into the genre of urban fantasy. This is a case of too many cliches and a weak plot holding it together.

Evangeline comes from Maine, and one day breaks a $10,000 lamp. To repay the woman, Sophie, she asks to work at the Sophie's shop. Okay, that's reasonable for a recent high school graduate. Except she never gets to work, and is instead flown to New York where two billionaire guys start throwing money and infinite luxury at her. It's
Lisa (A Life Bound By Books)
For more info and reviews please visit my Book Review Blog here - A Life Bound By Books

Anathema, the first book in the Causal Enchantment series by self published author K.A. Tucker is utterly unique. Tucker has taken the paranormal genre and twisted it with bits of sci-fi and created a story I found myself submersed in and characters – some I quickly grew to love and some that made my skin crawl right from the get go making this a book that was hard to put down, that I didn’t want to put
L.E.Olteano
God, I loved it! It was one of those rare cases where I’m totally into it from the very beginning. I was fidgeting and giggling and “omg”-ing all the way through. I don’t know if it was the fabulous writing, light, and suggestive, and very fun, or the characters, strong, and real, and sort of mean/nasty (and you know I love the villains, always!), or the settings, lush and powerful, or the plot, original and very well built…but man, I’m in love!! Totally, irreversibly in love !!

Eve (I just have

• Darkhouse (Experiment in Terror, #1)
  • The Kingdom (Graveyard Queen #2)
  • Hyde (Hyde, #1)
  • Corruption (Disruption, #2)
  • Bid My Soul Farewell (Give the Dark My Love, #2)
  • Between Jobs (The City Between, #1)
  • For the Love of a Vampire (Blood Like Poison, #1)
  • War of Hearts
  • Slow Man
  • Cruel King (Royal Elite, #0)
  • Between Shifts (The City Between #2)
  • Beyoğlu'nun En Güzel Abisi
  • The Wedding Bargain (Effingtons, #1)
  • The Dead List
  • Paper Fools (Hearts and Arrows #1)
  • Fool for Love (Gansett Island, #2)
  • Vendetta (Blood for Blood, #1)
  • The Disciplined Mind: Develop Mental Toughness, Strengthen Your Willpower, and Control Your Thoughts.
K.A. Tucker writes captivating stories with an edge.

She is the internationally bestselling author of the Ten Tiny Breaths and Burying Water series, He Will Be My Ruin, Until It Fades, Keep Her Safe, The Simple Wild, Be the Girl, and Say You Still Love Me. Her books have been featured in national publications including USA Today, Globe & Mail, Suspense Magazine, Publisher's Weekly, Oprah Mag,

Causal Enchantment (4 books)
  • Asylum (Causal Enchantment, #2)
  • Allegiance (Causal Enchantment, #3)
  • Anomaly (Causal Enchantment, #4)