Start by marking “Sixty Acres and a Bride (Ladies of Caldwell County, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sixty Acres and a Bride (Ladies of Caldwell County, #1)

Sixty Acres and a Bride (Ladies of Caldwell County #1)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  4,093 Ratings  ·  390 Reviews
She's Finally Found a Place to Call Home...
How Far Will She Go to Save It?

With nothing to their names, young widow Rosa Garner and her mother-in-law return to Texas and the family ranch. Only now the county is demanding back taxes and the women have only three months to pay.

Though facing eviction, Rosa falls in love with the countryside and the wonderful extended family wh

Published February 1st 2012 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Sixty Acres and a Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sixty Acres and a Bride

Katie
Jan 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
First posted on my blog, Legacy of a Writer.

I admit that when I reached the end of Sixty Acres and a Bride I sighed…because I wasn’t ready to leave these characters! So many things about this debut book by Regina Jennings really drew me in.

I really liked the Mexican heroine! And the fact that Rosa is so ignorant of the way a “proper” lady should act. It made for quite a few humorous moments! Rosa was so sweet natured and hard-working, you can’t help but love her. Just like Ruth, she is filled wi
Karen Witemeyer
Feb 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Regina Jennings has captured something wonderful with her historical romance debut. Characters full of culture and family values dance off the page to warm the reader's heart. I adored the hard-working Rosa as she battled against predjudice and difficult circumstances to try to make a home for herself and her mother-in-law in a new land. Her tomboy athleticism paired wonderfully with her innocent femininity. And Weston made the perfect hero for her with his protective nature and his dedication t ...more
Kimberly
Jul 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: gentle-reads
I am stunned by the number of four and five star reviews for Sixty Acres and a Bride. I've said it before and I'll say it again: there are quite a few shoddily written inspirational fiction books that somehow receive disproportionate amounts of praise from readers in the genre. I don't understand how this happens; we are reading the same book, right?

Sixty Acres and a Bride certainly isn't the worst inspirational fiction book I've ever read, but it's definitely a two-star book. The two main chara
Anne Osterlund
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
After her husband’s death in a mine disaster, Rosa has left her home in the Mexican mountains to come to Caldwell, Texas and start a new life. But from the moment she and her mother-in-law arrive, their goal appears impossible. Four year’s of back taxes are owed on her mother-in-law's Texas land in only a matter of months. And no matter how hard Rosa works, she cannot seem to find the means to dig them out of this financial hole.

What she finds instead is a home. Family. People who care about her
Angelc
Mar 24, 2012 rated it liked it
I wanted to like this book because I had heard amazing things about it, but it seemed slow to me, and I felt like I had read this style of story many times before. I didn't feel like there was much romance between the two leads, I felt like it was more about both Rosa and Weston overcoming the aftermath their disastrous first marriages.

I thought there might be more about Rosa's Mexican heritage, but I felt like most of the book concentrated on the people of her new town trying to stomp out any r
Becky
Mar 20, 2012 added it
Regina is a friend of mine. We were both 'hired' by Bethany House around the same time and met when we journeyed to the Bethany House headquarters one weekend to meet the staff. She's lovely.

I cannot BELIEVE that Sixty Acres and a Bride is her first ever manuscript. As I told her myself, I'm extremely jealous. :) She wrote this novel and sold it all within one calendar year, which is phenomenally remarkable in the world of publishing (where most of us slave over multiple manuscripts for multiple
Staci
Jul 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
This 1800s version of Ruth and Naomi was a sweet story. Weston was an especially strong character. The parallels to the Bible account and this one were well done. Rosa came from Mexico to Caldwell County, Texas with her mother-in-law Louise after her husband was killed in a mining accident. Rosa was treated as a foreigner and not shown much kindness and respect by several of the towns people.

The novel was well done. Of the three Regina Jennings novels I've read thus far, this has been my favori
Shash
Apr 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-challenges
I had a hard time getting through this book, and I'm not really sure why. I really liked the characters, and they were well developed. And it was a good adaptation of the story of Ruth. Some parts I flew through, and others I had to push myself to keep going. I know this is the author's debut novel. Maybe I'll try one of her more recent books sometime.
Cheryl Olson
To me, there is just always something fun, intriguing and downright captivating about a good “fish out of water story.” You know those stories I mean, where the main character is taken completely out of their element, where they really don’t know which end is up and so inevitably they do things that are wrong and often times embarrassing. And they usually do them, never in a small way, but with pure unadulterated gusto bringing the audience/reader to that place where you laugh out loud at the ch ...more
Shelly
May 13, 2012 rated it did not like it
A bit too slow for me. I thought the setting would capture me, but I could not stay interested. The characters needed more fire. I would try the author again. Maybe it was just this book....
I have mixed feelings about this book. I stayed up late to finish it on one hand, but there were some aspects that I didn't like.

What I didn't like: Why do authors so often put in a creepy dude? Mr. Tillerton stalked Rosa and was totally inappropriate. While believable, I didn't like that aspect of the story.
Also, I thought the reason for marriage was shaky (I would say more, but I don't want to give away the book). I wish that Weston had found another way that honored Rosa's feelings.

What I di
Hannah
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
I picked this book up on a whim. Overall this book was simply distraction for me it didn’t really like it. Some of the issues the main female character had I felt could’ve been resolved soo much quicker and it really was just an unnecessary hassle. Also the Spanish within the book felt very unnatural to me. Overall it was just ok 🤷🏻♀
Amy
Mar 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
You know what? For Christian romance, this wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. In fact, I think...I enjoyed that read.
Michelle
There were some things I truly adored about this historical fiction title, and some things that frustrated me to no end. But even though some things that happened in the story that drove me crazy, those things didn't take away from the story's overall appeal. I loved how the book paralleled the story of Ruth in the Bible and how the author did a pretty amazing job at making it fit in 1878 in Texas where instead of Ruth being a Moabitess, the heroine Rosa was a Mexican. I thought it worked well f ...more
Kav
Feb 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing

As exquisite as the cover, Sixty Acres and a Bride makes a solid case for judging a book by its cover. Sublime! I enjoyed every minute and didn't want my reading experience to end. This is the kind of book you grieve over at the finish. (I'm still in mourning.)

The author definitely engaged this reader with dynamic characters that quickly became real people who charged into my life and practically took it over. I laughed with them, I cried with them and I worried over them whenever I managed to d
Casey
Jan 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
“Sixty Acres and a Bride” is a stories I as a reader finds great pleasure is spending time with. And at the close of such a novel, I’m a bit sorry to see it come to an end.

I adore Rosa. She is so earnest and tries so hard, but so often it backfires on her. It was comical and yet I had to feel a bit sad for her, trying to learn to live in a foreign culture from her native Mexico. She’s a character one can’t help but love, because her yearnings and love for life is so infectious. I wanted to join
Sheri Salatin
Feb 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Sheri by: find books by title / author / isbn
Oh, yes, oh, yes, oh, yes! I started this book by Regina Jennings and could not put it down.

After the death of her husband, Rosa Garner leaves everything she knows and loves in her home country of Mexico to go with her mother-in-law to the Texas family ranch. They arrive in Texas to find that they owe $166 in taxes and only a small amount of time to come up with the money to pay them.

Rosa may not understand the oddities of the American language, but she certainly knows how to work. She sinks eve
Chandra
GENRE: Inspirational romance

SETTING: 19th century, Caldwell County, Texas

A BOOK THAT FOR THE MAJORITY OF THE READING SAYS,
“I was never loved.” “Yes I once loved but it was my fault.” “No, it is all my fault.” “I’m such a failure.” “I am life’s fault.” “I try to do what is right.” “I’m not worthy because I’m at fault.” “It is my entire fault.” “My fault is my fault.” “No one is guilty other than me.” “I spell the word F-A-U-L_T.”

This is life that surrounded the two central characters and what h
Karen
Mar 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Free Kindle download, a version of the Ruth and Naomi story if you substitute Texas and Mexico for the setting. It was interesting seeing another version of how awkward it would be to be destitute, in a strange setting, only knowing 1 person and not understanding the customs in the new country.
Louise Garner and her husband Eli and son Mack rent out their small spread in Texas to head for Mexico to try to make a living. Eli and Mack get jobs in a mine, and Mack marries Rosa, a Mexican/Indian woma
Sam B
I really loved this book!

It's a great historical fiction about a Mexican widow, Rosa, who moves with her American mother-in-law, Louise, to Texas. Louise, her husband and her son, Mack, had moved to Mexico a few years before and Rosa had married Mack. Unfortunately, both men died in a mining accident. Now both women are on their own. But when they arrive to the town, they learn that have a great amount of tax to pay and they don't have that much time to come up with the money... Rosa has to lear
Lacy Williams
Feb 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In this Western version of the Ruth and Boaz story, Rosa Garner plays the dutiful daughter-in-law who returns to a foreign land—Texas. Some folks think Rosa is real nice and has done a kind thing, taking care of her mother-in-law, but most don’t understand her and she feels pretty out-of-place.
Weston Garner is a relation of Rosa’s mother-in-law, and he meets Rosa at a family sheep shearing. He’s instantly attracted to the dark-haired beauty with the fiery spirit, but ghosts from his past make h
Christy
Apr 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
This was a nice read especially with bold Rosa at the helm. I actually would have liked to have seen more boldness from her; you know something different than demure. Someone full of sass and warmth and a bolster of humor. This book focused around romance a little too much for me though. I only want a dab of romance and a whole heap of historical. This was my first time reading a Regina Jennings book and it was good just not exactly what I was hoping for. And wouldn't it be nice to read about a ...more
Amy S
Oct 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars, rounding up cause I'm in a good mood.

This is a book I found on a shelf by the library check-out counter and grabbed on a whim. Ended up being light Christian fiction -- which ended up being okay as it didn't hit me over the head with it. While the book annoyed me at first as being the stereotypical pride and prejudice rip off with a Tex-Mex spin,it finally began to settle into it's own path. I ended up going from annoyance to mostly appreciation by the end. Basically it's a nice littl
CP
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved Rosa. Great romance.
Rachel Brand
GENRE: HISTORICAL ROMANCE
PUBLISHER: BETHANY HOUSE
PUBLICATION DATE: FEBRUARY 01, 2012
RATING: 3.5 OUT OF 5 – GOOD

PROS: Unconventional heroine; engaging secondary characters

CONS: Conflict between hero and heroine is fairly weak; awkward pacing, particularly at the start of the novel, which makes it hard to get into the flow of the story

After the tragic death of her husband and father-in-law in a mining accident, Rosa Garner follows her mother-in-law, Louise, to their family home in Texas. Having me
Laura Jean
Totally not my genre, but I liked it fairly well. I did find Weston overbearing at times, but I did like how his sister Eliza and Rosa asked him if the Bible was inspired by God, how was the book of the Songs of Solomon bad. I also enjoyed the explanation of the John Donne poem, Eliza read. I loved just how strong Rosa was: her desire to not be a burden and to do what needed to be done, like protect herself. It also felt like it was inspired by the story of Ruth.
Lindsey Robison
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Okay this book had me in a bundle of emotions! IT WAS SO GOOD!

I loved Rosa’s character because she reminded me so much of myself! I admired her, and I looked up to her throughout the whole story! (Yeah she was pigheaded at times) but she learned and so did Weston and I absolutely loved their romance!
Rachael
Jul 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What sort of reception did Ruth, a heathen, receive upon relocating to Israel? How did Ruth feel about practically forcing Boaz to marry her? And likewise, how did Boaz feel?

Regina Jennings' novel Sixty Acres and a Bride looks deeper into the story of Ruth, exploring the relationships, emotions, and prejudices that might have similarly affected Ruth and Boaz themselves.

Placing it in 1878 Texas, with Rosa, the Ruth equivalent, a native Mexican who accompanies her American mother-in-law back to Te
Bt
Jun 06, 2012 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one
Recommended to Bt by: Glowing reviews on Goodreads
Shelves: couldnt-finish
How did this manage to get such good Goodreads reviews? It was terrible! I thought the concept was great. The story of Ruth set in the Old West? Sounds cool! But no. It was extremely tedious. And the relationship between the "Ruth and Boaz" characters was just so agonizingly slow and forced.

I actually started getting suspicious of a bad book after the end of chapter one. Do you know what happens in chapter one? Rosa's (Ruth's) wagon looses a wheel, and her mother-in-law goes to get help lifting
Patricia Kemp Blackmon
Jan 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This story is compared to Ruth and Esther in the bible.

Rosa Garner and her mother in law Louise Garner have returned to the Garner's family ranch in Caldwell County, Texas. They have arrived from Mexico without their husbands whom were killed in a cave in. When they arrived at the ranch it was in an appalling state. It took a lot of work to get it ready for it's human inhabitants and rid of all other critters.

Louise does not have a head for figures and had no idea they owed so much money on ba
  • Prize of My Heart (Sea Heroes of Duxbury)
  • The Messenger
  • Blue Moon Promise (Under Texas Stars, #1)
  • The Rose of Winslow Street
  • Love in Disguise
  • In Too Deep (Kincaid Brides, #2)
  • A Heart Divided (Heart of the Rockies, #1)
  • The Doctor's Lady
  • Words Spoken True
  • A Texan's Promise (Heart of a Hero, #1)
  • No Safe Harbor (Edge of Freedom, #1)
  • Fairer Than Morning (Saddler's Legacy, #1)
  • Beyond All Measure (Hickory Ridge, #1)
  • Song of My Heart (Heart of the Prairie, #8)
  • Stealing the Preacher (Archer Brothers, #2)
  • Love's Reckoning (The Ballantyne Legacy, #1)
  • Wings of a Dream
  • Spring for Susannah
Regina Jennings is a graduate of Oklahoma Baptist University with a degree in English and a history minor. She has worked at The Mustang News and First Baptist Church of Mustang, along with time at the Oklahoma National Stockyards and various livestock shows. She now lives outside Oklahoma City with her husband and four children.
More about Regina Jennings

Ladies of Caldwell County (3 books)
  • Love in the Balance (Ladies of Caldwell County, #2)
  • Caught in the Middle (Ladies of Caldwell County, #3)

Romance Deals

• The Wedding Shroud (Tales of Ancient Rome, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Release Me (Stark Trilogy, #1)
  • Better Off Without Him
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Veronica's Dragon (Icehome, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • No Prince Charming (Secrets of Stone Series Book 1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • A Loyal Heart (An Uncertain Choice, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Surrender (Steel Brothers Saga, #6)
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Forged in Smoke (Red-Hot SEALs, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunted (The Warrior Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Husband's Regret (Unwanted, #2)
  • Be My Reason
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Cuffed (Honor Bound Book 2)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • His Unlikely Lover (Unwanted, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Love Me Sweet (Bell Harbor, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forged in Ember (Red-Hot SEALs, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taking Catie (Temptation Saga #3)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Desire After Dark (Gansett Island, #14)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Scotch King (Scotch #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • This Love of Mine (Mirror Lake, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Your Scandalous Ways (Fallen Women, #1)
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Seaside Hearts (Love in Bloom: Seaside Summers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forgotten Secrets (Singing River Legacy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Knight (Endgame, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Storm Warrior (Grim, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bayside Passions (Bayside Summers, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures with a Rookie (Misadventures, #11)
  • Finding Libbie: A Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love at Last (Love in Bloom: The Bradens at Peaceful Harbor, #6.5)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Nitro's Torment (Sydney Storm MC #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Strange Hymn (The Bargainer #2)
  • Only You
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Lily and the Duke (Sex and the Season #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • A Girl's Best Friend
    $9.99 $1.99
  • My Once and Future Duke (The Wagers of Sin, #1)
  • Surrender/Submission Bound Hearts 1 & 2
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Burn (Steel Brothers Saga, #5)
    $7.99 $3.49
  • Mistress of Magic
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Duchess Deal (Girl Meets Duke, #1)
  • INK: A Love Story on 7th and Main
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Misadventures of a City Girl (Misadventures, #2)
  • A Ruthless Proposition
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hearts at Seaside (Sweet with Heat: Seaside Summers #3)
  • Hometown Girl
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Mind (Trinity Trilogy #2)
    $6.99 $2.49
  • Rhapsodic (The Bargainer, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Room Mate (Roommates, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Decaying Empire (The Vanishing Girl, #2)
  • The Forgiving Hour
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Bright Side (Bright Side, #1)
  • The Fixer Upper
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Room for More (Cranberry Inn Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Neanderthal Seeks Human (Knitting in the City, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Chasing I Do (The Eastons #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Forever Hunted (Forever Bluegrass #9)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Slow Dance in Purgatory (Purgatory, #1)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Cafe by the Sea
  • That Month in Tuscany
    $6.99 $2.49
  • My Brother Michael
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Something in the Way (Something in the Way, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Elect (Eagle Elite, #2)
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • To Taste Temptation (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #1)
  • Ghosted
  • Dodging Temptation
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Billionaire's Final Stand (Billionaire Bachelors, #7)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Find Me (Corrupted Hearts #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blackmailing the Billionaire (Billionaire Bachelors, #5)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Hunger (The Energy Vampires #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Billionaire Falls (Billionaire Bachelors, #3)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Runaway Heiress (Billionaire Bachelors, #6)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Treading Water (Treading Water, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Life Next Door (Love Not Included Book 3)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Undeniable Love (Journey Of Love Book 2)
  • Bittersweet
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Mr. Perfect (Mister, #1)
  • Made for You
  • The Light In Summer
    $5.99 $1.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Collision Point (Brute Force, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Journey Home
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Storm Bound (Grim, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unforgettable Love (Journey of Love Book 3)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Prom Night in Purgatory (Purgatory, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Valiant (Spy Girl Book 4)
  • Dear Aaron
  • Running Barefoot
    $5.95 $1.99
  • Wrecked
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sapphire Heist (Jewel, #2)
  • The Other Side of the Story
    $10.99 $1.99
  • One Fell Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Out of Focus (Adams Grove, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • What If
  • Impossible Saints
    $22.73 $1.99
  • Hudson (Fixed, #4)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Only a Millionaire (The Sinclairs #6.5)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Elite (Eagle Elite, #1)
  • Kulti
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Soul Summoner  (The Soul Summoner, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • April / May / June (Calendar Girl #4-6)
    $8.99 $3.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Light After Dark (Gansett Island, #15)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Pecan Pie and Deadly Lies (Adams Grove, #4)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • How To Marry A Werewolf (Claw & Courtship, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“He'd tried a life separated from God, and it was no way to live. He'd rather be a son who was chastened than a stranger who was ignored.” 10 likes
“Oh, the floozy. Now she’s worried about her gaping neckline? Weston ignored Molly and drew Rosa’s attention back to their” 0 likes