Start by marking “Sweets: A New Orleans Crime Story” as Want to Read:
Sweets: A New Orleans Crime Story

Sweets: A New Orleans Crime Story

3.51  ·  Rating details ·  118 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
A spree killer terrorizes New Orleans days before Hurricane Katrina makes landfall. Detective Curt Delatte just buried his only daughter, he's in no condition to work. But when the bodies pile up, he masks his grief and joins the hunt through the bowels of the Big Easy. It won't be long until his city, and his evidence, gets washed away.
Published September 27th 2011 by Image Comics (first published September 6th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Sweets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweets

Teresa
Sep 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Teresa by: rhea mac
While a violent 'crime story' (as the subtitle says) is not my usual reading material, I borrowed this from my daughter because it was set in New Orleans, plus I knew it would be a quick read. I wasn't sure of it in the beginning, but I became more and more impressed as it continued. While there are a few cop clichés (though to be fair how does one not use them when they are true and organic to the story), the twist at the end is original.

The illustrations are well-done, including the more 'sim
Elizabeth Amber Love
Jan 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of noir/crime drama
SWEETS was my nomination for Best Limited Series of 2011 in the CGS acknowledgments. I gave a full review of each issue as they came out became for the collected trade.

Rating: 10/10

Highlights:
* Chamberlain combines real life with history, government conspiracies, special abilities and mental illness within a very special crime noir drama.
* Be prepared for a rapid pace story the pushes you to the next panel before completely absorbing the one you’re on. Af
AGamble
Happened upon this at the NOPL Main branch today and read it in about an hour. Question: Did the detective run to the Carrollton Cemetery on Green or the St. Mary Cemetery on Cohn?
Guy Gonzalez
Aug 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: nola, graphic-novels
A solid crime thriller with an intriguing setting, as New Orleans detectives track a serial killer in the days prior to Hurricane Katrina, racing the clock before an evacuation clears the city. Kody Chamberlain's art sets a perfect tone, and while his writing isn't nearly as strong, it hits all the right genre notes well enough. The twist ending doesn't completely come out of left field, but its impact is muted a bit as the related elements that make it plausible aren't ever fully brought to the ...more
Sean
Sep 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Crime fans!
Kody Chamberlain does everything on his own here as he creates a crime drama set in New Orleans on the precipice of Katrina. The story is good, the mystery is good, but I think the mystery got away from him. The reader gets to the end and its not what it needed to be for a satisfying end. The art was dark and gritty, fitting the mood but there were some very strange panels that didn't make sense. Overall, a decent but uneven read.
Tyson Adams
Mar 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Kody tweeted me wanting to know about what I thought of his graphic novel, so I just wanted to say why only three stars.

Don't get me wrong, Kody has put together a good story, the main character is in an interesting headspace and the twist ending I did not see coming. Worth reading for these aspects alone.

The reason for 3 stars and not 4 was that I didn't really like the artwork, just a personal thing about styles. The other thing was a couple of the supporting characters (like the chief) didn't
Chad
Jan 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Overall, this is a good crime thriller story. The art compliments the tone of the story well. I actually wish the author would have expanded the story by three or so additional chapters, as the story felt a little rushed, in my opinion. The ending made me feel like I missed something, so I had to do some quick re-reading to understand. While the book was entertaining, it is not a book that I see myself revisiting.
Sridhar Reddy
Nov 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Atmosphere of the book is fantastic, but it gets bogged down in parabolic dialogue exchanges that don't seem to go anywhere fast. The twist ending was a bit too arbitrary for my tastes. The impending carnage of hurricane Katrina is never fully developed, which was a letdown. A good crime yarn, but ultimately forgettable.
William Thomas
Apr 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
What? Hey, rewind that. No seriously, I missed something, go back. Huh. I guess I didn't miss anything after all. There's just a huge damn hole in this story that makes it make absolutely zero sense. I can't say exactly what happens without spoiling it for other people who want to read it, but seriously? Just avoid reading it.

Grade: D
Emily
Nov 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Story was great, loved the graphics, but the ending was rushed--had to skim back over the whole story and read the end again before I understood. The rest of the plot develops very nicely at a great pace. Perhaps another few pages could have given the ending room to breathe.
Neven
May 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Solid art and writing for the most part, but boy does it all get too clever in the end.
Michael
Jan 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was my first comic book I read. Thought is was a great read but needed 2 or 3 issues. Because it was only 5 issues it seemed it moved to quickly.
Frank Byrns
Sep 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime, comics, the-south

I liked it, but I _wanted_ to like it even more.
R
Jul 07, 2011
Tristan
Oct 23, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »
SHORT BIO: Kody Chamberlain got his start in comics with horror writer Steve Niles on 30 DAYS OF NIGHT, and a followup project with comic legend Keith Giffen on TAG. After several years delivering cutting edge work in comics, film, and animation, Kody ventured into creator-owned comics with writer Josh Fialkov on the cult classic PUNKS THE COMIC. More recently, Kody pushed the boundaries by writin ...more