Start by marking “Evil Unveiled (Speaks The Nightbird #2)” as Want to Read:
Evil Unveiled (Speaks The Nightbird #2)

Evil Unveiled (Matthew Corbett #1, part 2)

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  474 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
"New York Times" bestselling author Robert McCammon continues his triumphant return with the conclusion of an epic tale of suspense that reinstates him as one of the great storytellers of our time....The Carolinas, 1699: After hearing damning testimony from the townspeople of Fount Royal, magistrate Isaac Woodward sentences the accused witch, Rachel Howarth, to death by bu ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 418 pages

Review to come!
Incredible!
Erik
Oct 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Okay, so 5 stars equates to "It was amazing" here on Goodreads. Taking the first book of "Speaks the Nightbird" into account (which I gave 4 stars), I felt the story and writing as a whole deserved 4.5 stars. I haven't read a book this long (just over 400 pages) in such a short time in quite a while.

This second book went quickly for me, and the fast-paced plot definitely kept me eager for every turn of the page. McCammon wraps things up nicely in the end, not in any way that felt convenient or r
Edwina Callan
Jan 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookcrossing, 2015
Scary to think about the madness revolving around The Salem Witch Trials,
and even though this book is fiction, it is easy to imagine the innocents who died during this dark period in history.
Also terrifying, was reading about the treatments that were performed by the *Doctors* way back then. If "bleeding" didn't work, well then, just get them high as a kite so at least they die with a smile on their face.... Shudders ...
Clif
Sep 01, 2007 added it
Shelves: horror
Robert Macammon is the thnking mans Stephen King. In this historical novel, he departs from horror in general to more a Crucible like mystery.
Her Royal Orangeness
Jul 21, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2012, hf-17th-century
The Carolinas, 1699. The newly founded town of Fount Royal is facing a rash of disasters - murders, arsons, failed crops, illness. In desperation, the citizens cast the blame on Rachel Howarth and accuse her of witchcraft. Magistrate Isaac Woodward and his clerk Matthew Corbett arrive to preside over the trial and to determine Rachel’s fate. But Matthew soon realizes there is something far more sinister than witchcraft going on in Fount Royal. He risks everything to solve the mystery….and to exo ...more
Karen Patterson
Oct 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Speaks the Nightbird was a wonderful book, well-written, and with characters that grabbed and held your attention. The story is told through a Magistrate's clerk, both of which have been sent to a town in order to pronounce judgment on an accused witch in 1699. Of course, the town has already pronounced her guilty, but Matthew the young clerk who is inquisitive and intelligent goes above and beyond to get to the truth. Historical but also an intelligent mystery that will keep you guessing until ...more
Tanvir Muntasim
Jan 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Successful and interesting wrap up of the story, though it drags a bit at the end. However, McCammon must be congratulated for going beyond his comfort zone of contemporary horror and go into the 17th century, which turns out to be an excellent setting for superstition driven horror. I am looking forward to his next book with the same protagonist, and this is my first book completed in the new year, and now I am onto the self set challenge of reading 100 books this year.
Thomas
Jul 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
With the completing of this sequel, the adventure of Matthew Corbet ended. It was a kind of a crimestory, set in the year 1699. A very facinating tale of a young mans trials, to unweil the truth in a horror-struck colony, near the florida swamps. Superb story, i was gripped by the very first page. And i could not guess the ending at all!
Chris O'kill
Dec 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Having just bought the third instalment, I am reading this once again, as it's been a while. Amazing how, just a few pages in, you are drawn back in time to the 17th Century and already remember and associate with the characters....looking forward to finishing it, once again. Now, just a couple of days later, it is finished. Have to say, I enjoyed it even more than first time.
James Bedow
Dec 24, 2013 rated it liked it
I am a huge fan of McCammon's earlier books, and I waited anxiously for a long time for him to write these books. So maybe my expectations were too high. I just did not like the first two books of this series as much as I have liked his earlier books. But I will still read them all. And you may like them more than I did, he is so good.
Sarah Pierce
Jan 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Pretty much the same as the first book (I thought that the pacing was a bit too fast), except I really liked the ending, the outcome. Good stuff. And I kept picturing Matthew Corbett as a James McAvoy-looking kind of guy, so that was cool.
Chi
Apr 29, 2010 marked it as to-read
I loved the 1st book in this series. I can't wait to read this one.
wally
Sep 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mccammon
good story...i enjoyed reading this...this different time. part of its charm.
Jessica
Oct 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Absolutely LOVED this book. It was an intelligent combination of historical fiction and mystery. The quality of the writing was supberb.
Lauren
Dec 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Between the 2 books, perhaps my favorite of 2013.
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
"Absolutely Mesmerizing". This story deals with a colony in the Carolina's in 1699, and how one man tries to save a women from being burned at the stake as a witch. This author is phenomenal at telling a story!!!
CheeseMiser
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
New favorite author. Amazing! book!
Richard
Jason Wells
Jul 23, 2016
  • Stone City
  • The Seventh Sanctuary
  • Whiskey River (Detroit, #1)
  • Elminster Ascending (Forgotten Realms: Elminster, #1-3)
  • The Pet
  • Belladonna at Belstone (Knights Templar, #8)
  • Murder on the Mauretania (George Porter Dillman & Genevieve Masefield, #2)
  • Stalkers
  • Treachery (Giordano Bruno, #4)
  • The Policy
  • Monstrosity
  • Hunted Past Reason
  • Rain (Blackwater, #6)
  • The Drive-In (A B-Movie with Blood and Popcorn, Made in Texas)
  • Rider, Reaper (Deathlands, #22)
  • Desolation
  • The Saved
  • Dark Advent
Robert Rick McCammon was a full-time horror writer for many years. After taking a hiatus for his family, he returned to writing with an interest in historical fiction.

The sixth book in his Matthew Corbett historical fiction series, Freedom of the Mask, was published in May 2016.

The second book in the Trevor Lawson I Travel by Night series, Last Train from Perdition, will be published in October 20
More about Robert McCammon...

Matthew Corbett (6 books)
  • Speaks the Nightbird (Matthew Corbett, #1)
  • The Queen of Bedlam (Matthew Corbett, #2)
  • Mister Slaughter (Matthew Corbett, #3)
  • The Providence Rider (Matthew Corbett, #4)
  • The River of Souls (Matthew Corbett, #5)
  • Freedom of the Mask (Matthew Corbett, #6)