Start by marking “Don't Look Now (Jack Paris, #1)” as Want to Read:
Don't Look Now (Jack Paris, #1)

Don't Look Now (Jack Paris #1)

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  394 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Andrea Heller has been married for seven years, but still likes to pretend she's single. She enjoys sitting on her own in bars, and watching what happens. But there's another couple watching too. They call themselves Saila and Pharaoh, but only after sundown. And it is after sundown that some terrible things are happening in the singles clubs in Cleveland.

In six months, th
Published December 8th 2011 by Arrow (first published July 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Look Now, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Look Now

Greg Fisher
Jun 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crimefiction
I've read this book twice. The last time was in 2006 but the first time was sometime in the early 1990s. I was still new to being a part of the library staff and everyone was buzzing about a brand new local author named Richard Montanari who wrote a very graphic serial killer crime novel set in our hometown. The general consensus was that they all loved it. Even staff who normally didn't like serial killer stories or stories that violent and graphic had to admit they loved it. And the ending . . ...more
Sanaa
Dec 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
Rick
Apr 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A gripping start to a new series from a new-to-me-author. It says everything that I can't wait to read more, maybe even the rest, of his work.
Ken Kaufman
May 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very solid first book. a page-turner.
John Toffee
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am big fan of Richard Montanari's Byrne & Balzano series and thought I'd give his first ever character, Jack Paris, a go in the author's first novel, Don't Look Now (aka Deviant Ways). The book is the first of a two part series.
There is the same Montanari action and fast pace with plenty of brutal murders carried out by dark and seedy characters. I enjoyed the book which involves voyeurism that, it can be said, goes too far as well as paedophilia.
As with his later work Montanari is not af
Lainy
Mar 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
Blurb From Goodreads

Andrea Heller has been married for seven years, but likes to pretend she's single. She enjoys sitting on her own in bars but there's another couple watching. They call themselves Saila and Pharaoh, but only after sundown. And it is after sundown that some terrible things are happening in the singles clubs in Cleveland. In six months, three women in their twenties have been brutally murdered. And each step that Homicide Detective Jack Paris takes to find their killer draws hi
Jim
Aug 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
In Cleveland, Ohio Detective Jack Paris working out of homicide is called on to head the task force for investigating the very macabre murders by the Rose of Jericho killer. Author Richard Montanari once again spins an incredibly dark thriller with "Deviant Way". Paris is partnered up with Tommy Raposo. Raposo new to Cleveland PD from Akron doesn't have a lot of homicide experience. When Eleanor Burchfield is brutally murdered, she becomes the killer's fourth victim. The TV news and the Clevelan ...more
Jay Jessmer
Sep 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked this one up at the library after getting hooked on Montanari's Byrne/Balzano series, and I have to say, it was a serious page-turner! Montanari gets it, even in his first offerring here. He understands the fan base for this type of thriller, and has a talent for deliverring.
Always enjoy a book with separate story-lines developing. There are 2 couples at the heart of this. The first is a male/female team who are viciously murderring young women whom the man lures from various nightclub
Plum-crazy
May 07, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
An okay read but nowhere near as good as others by this author. In a nutshell, three women have been brutally murdered & Homicide Detective Jack Paris is on hand to track the killer...or is it killers?...down.

As ever there are plenty of red herrings, but maybe it's just that I'm so used to this author's style now but many seemed too obvious & could be seen for the misdirections they were. I found that parts of the book didn't flow well & other parts were muddling. As it was first pub
laura m
Mar 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: US contemporary crime fiction readers, Montanari fans
I am absolutely sure I read this years before and it faintly stayed in my memory, not the most important bits but enough to remember it. It's not an usual work of this author, missing his main protagonists but it's much better than most I've read from him many years ago.
I now know that I have to re-read this as near the end, he threw in such a twist that everything you know you understood just wasn't so and you just can't be sure if there were hints and what happened and what did not, I am not r
Julie Carson
Sep 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
On the whole, the book is very good. It has twists and turns, and kept you guessing right until the very last page. However, it is not quite deserving of 5 stars as I found 1 or 2 bits difficult to follow, and Jack irritated me at times, as I found some of his actions foolhardy to say the least, which took the enjoyment away a little bit. Normally, I suspend disbelief when reading, but the rest of the story was so well written I couldn't ignore it! I couldn't put it down, and suddenly realised i ...more
Frances
This is the author's first book; a series in Cleveland that precedes the current Philadelphia series that I like so much. If this had been the first book of his that I read, I probably would not have read any others.
Like the others, this is a serial killer mystery; but, unlike the others, these killing have a markedly sexual nature. In fact every aspect of the book, from the crimes to the police officers to the general attitudes of all involved, has a sexual nature. And the nature of the sex is
Giuseppe Ruotolo
Dec 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
Another 4 1/2 star rating.......what can I say?
Only there is a lot more going on in this book than is first apparent.....
Scary stuff.
Rebecca
Aug 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-thrillers
I enjoyed this book more than the Byrne/Balzano books because I felt this was more of a straightforward murder investigation, while the Byrne/Balzano books end up relying on Byrne's instincts and more often than not involve a religious connection which can often be tiresome. I liked the plot of this book and I liked the character of Jack.
Brian Krause
Jun 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a very well-written story in the crime fiction genre with some excellent depictions of the crimes. That said, the way it wrapped up disappointed me. There wasn't anything that every gave you a clue about who the perpetrator was, or why that person did what they did. It was just like pulling a rabbit out of a hat revealing the antagonist. Still, he writes really well.
In Cleveland, Jack Paris is investigating the murder of a young woman who had her tattoo removed. One couple is exploring the excitement of the wife dressing sexy and letting herself get hit on in a club while her voyeur husband watches. At the same time, another couple are luering women from nightclubs and brutally murdering them. This novel is sexy and provactive as well as suspenseful.
Sam
Feb 23, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, crime
A very good read, finished it in a day. Well written and enthralling especially considering it was his first book. The details are well thought out and just enough to set the scene and let your imagination take over. The ending was well written and left you wanting more. A very good read but not for the faint-hearted or those adverse to a bit of gore.
Jo
Jan 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Serial killing team target young women with tattoos. I love Montanari's work as they're always such a great read. However, whilst this was an absorbing page turner as I was reading it, by the end of the book I could barely remember what happened. Fluffy crime novel.
Caroline
Dec 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-kindle
Richard Montanari is best know for his Byrne and Balzano series. "Deviant Ways", set in Cleveland, is the first book in the Jack Paris.
Fast-paced and a tad sleazy, the ending is disappointing as it left a couple of unanswered questions. A gripping read nonetheless.
Phil James
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've always liked Montanari's books but I hadn't come across this old one before and found it in a bargain basement. It is excellent and has a different character (Jack Paris) rather than Byrne and Balzano. If you like his other books you'll enjoy this one.
Evelyn
Apr 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A pair of voyeristic serial killers are murdering young women they pick up in Cleveland area singles bars.

Interesting to read about local area. No psychological explanation of killers' motives. This is not a Les Roberts.
Matthias Williamson
I was on a sick serial killer kick for a while, this was one of those surprise books that just blew me away.
Jenny Hudson-hendron
Great book, but this has been released before under the name don't look now. Which is annoying as I had read that book before!
Michelle Whitfield
Sep 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Was very fast paced but the ending left me a little confused as to who Pharaoh was, otherwise was a great read.
Jules Fry
Dec 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
sexy - scary - a great read
Cindy Smith
actually give this a 3.5. wasn't quite sure who 'dun it' until the end. kept and held my attention. looking forward to more from this author.
Karolyn
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant, couldn't put it down!
Michelle Simpson
typical serial killer book, bit wierd and kinky the way killings are executed and I was unhappy with the ending
Simon Moore
Mar 07, 2014 rated it liked it
I personally thought this book wasn't up to the author's usual high standards.

Too many gaps for me in this book.
  • Gabe's Plan
  • Murder Me Dead
  • Dry Season
  • The Pledge
  • The Foundation (Jack Emery #1)
  • Tequila Sunset
  • Petrocelli
  • Remembering Sarah
  • The White Russian
  • Lost Dogs
  • The Madness of a Seduced Woman
  • Rawblood
  • Ultimatum (Tina Boyd #6)
  • An Isolated Incident
  • 18 Seconds (Sherry Moore, #1)
  • Short Shockers
  • Thorne at Christmas: A Short Story Collection (Tom Thorne Novels)
  • The Golden Prince
Richard Montanari is the Top Ten Sunday Times bestselling author of The Rosary Girls, The Killing Room, The Stolen Ones and the upcoming thriller, The Doll Maker.

Series:
* Jack Paris
* Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne
More about Richard Montanari...

Jack Paris (2 books)
  • Kiss of Evil (Jack Paris, #2)