Start by marking “The Ring Makes All the Difference” as Want to Read:
The Ring Makes All the Difference

The Ring Makes All the Difference

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  56 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Why not cohabitate?

Many believe nothing is better for their future marriage than a trial period—cohabitation. It’s the fastest growing family type in the U.S. So how’s that working out? Are people truly happier?

Author Glenn Stanton offers a compelling factual case that nearly every area of health and happiness is increased by marriage and decreased by cohabitation.

With cre
Published September 1st 2011 by Moody Publishers (first published August 19th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Ring Makes All the Difference, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ring Makes All the Difference

Tamara
Jan 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I’ve often heard my peers say things like that living together is a safe way to “test out” a relationship to see if it is going to work before you make a permanent commitment to marriage, or that they are “practically married” and don’t need a piece of paper to solidify their relationship. I confess I’ve often been rather tongue tied, not knowing how to respond.

When I saw that there was a book compiling the findings of four decades worth of scientific studies on the impact that living together
Edythe Hamilton
Oct 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
“Cohabiting men are less interested in marriage, and if they marry, they become different kinds of husbands.”

Did you know that cohabiting couples pay higher insurance rates? Did you know that children in homes with a non-biological related parent is eight times more likely to die of maltreatment? The majority of statistics in this book is from 2009 and according to the newscasts I watch probably has risen significantly since then.

Two of many points covered are,

(1) “…living together has seen exp
Kirsten
Jun 11, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
This book is a brazen slap in the face to any happy family that falls outside of the confines of married man, woman, and kids. The health of a relationship is measured by its fruit: happiness, honesty, loyalty, and mature decisions that effect financial stability, education, healthy choices and the like.

Saying that couples "slide into" cohabitation versus arriving there via a planned maneuver isn't generally true. But even more concerning is that assumption that cohabitation is a trial for marri
Kristen
Mar 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting research regarding cohabitation vs. marriage, especially how cohabiting benefits men more than women. Though he tried to remain neutral, at times the author's tone struck me as a bit preachy, and he occasionally strayed off topic (talking about feminism, abortion, etc.), which I feel could make this book less appealing to those without his same faith background than it might have been had it remained more focused. I liked the specific examples of family/social/financial situations th ...more
Ann
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
If I had an unmarried daughter of any age, childless or a mother, I would urge her to read this book. In study after study, all the facts point to the great gulf that lies between marriage and cohabitation. It is so easy to slide into a relationship that will almost certainly fall short of what everyone hopes to have -- a happy marriage. This book will convince you that cohabiting is the most direct route to disappointment. Highly recommended.
Jacquie ♡
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This gave me a very good insight into the difference between cohabitation and marriage. There were many statistics and causes of doing either or and from what I got from this, it's better to get married first, instead of first cohabitating and then getting married.
Marriage is more reliable, is the cause for longer health, happiness and so much more.

Marriage is more. Don't settle for less!
Kelsey
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I think everyone should read this. This book gave me a lot to think about. For my future and for my current relationship.
Andrew
Dec 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In The Ring Makes All the Difference, Glenn T. Stanton has written a book about cohabitation and living together without having to say I do. This book explored the science behind relationships and cohabitation and one static stated that “more 60 percent of all marriages are preceded by some form of cohabitation” (Page 11). Research is showing that many women in their thirties are intently getting pregnant because their biological clocks are ticking. And they desperately want children but they ar ...more
Denise DiFalco
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Just last month there was an article in the Oprah Magazine entitled "Seven Reasons Not To Get Married" which more than perturbed me. As a Christian Wife and Mother it's truly heartbreaking to see the sacred institute of Marriage vanish and lose it's importance. Marriage is to be cherished and enjoyed. Glenn T. Stanton confirms in his book "The Ring Makes All The Difference The Hidden Consequences of Cohabitation and The Strong Benefits of Marriage" that couples are not only happier but more heal ...more
Amber
Jun 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book written from a sociological viewpoint on why marriage matters. The author has combed thousands of studies from major secular and Christian universities here in America as well as in Europe to find their conclusions on why marriage matters and how much it does matter. To be honest, before reading this book, the only reason I had for saying someone shouldn't live together before marriage was "because God says so."
I was shocked at how drastic some of the findings were in fa
Adam Townsend
Jan 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
The dangers of cohabitation are many and this book does a great job of pointing all of them out. We often struggle as Christians trying to explain why living together before marriage is a bad idea. This book gives us the studies and explanations needed to guide young couples into marriage.
Jordan
Jun 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was really good. The author has obviously done his research and has several points on various areas of cohabitation. I only had one problem. I thought it lacked depth for a couple of his points (out of the many he gave). He'd give two broad reasons but then didn't expand.
Katrece
Oct 25, 2011 marked it as to-read
He works at Focus on the Family & was on the radio 10/14/11 discussing the research
Mackenzie Bradley
Janey
Jul 06, 2014
Heather
Nov 02, 2015
“Marriage gives us the security of tying another person to us-and us to them. But marriage itself also serves as a general wall of protection from illness in ways that cohabitation does not.” 0 likes
“Marriage is more. Don't settle for less.” 0 likes