Start by marking “Write The Fight Right” as Want to Read:
Write The Fight Right

Write The Fight Right

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  88 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
A fiction writer's resource for creating realistic, convincing fight scenes.

Author and martial arts instructor, Alan Baxter, presents a short, ~12,000 word, ebook describing all the things a writer needs to consider when writing fight scenes. Baxter's experience from decades as a career martial artist make this book a valuable resource for writers who want to understand wh
Kindle Edition
Published (first published April 4th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Write The Fight Right, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Write The Fight Right

J.F. Penn
Aug 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing
I love fight scenes in books and movies. Now I want to write them effectively in my own novels. Alan's book basically takes you through what you need to be aware of in order to write a decent fight scene, things that you would never even consider as a "normal" person who has never thrown a punch outside Body Combat gym classes.
Important aspects such as :
* the importance of footwork and range
* being aware of surroundings and setting so you are prepared - and of course as a writer, we can set up
Kristian Thoroughgood
Nov 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Short & functional: this is not the worlds most engaging 'writing tips' book, but still solid advice with some exceptionally useful guidance on drafting fight scenes. Covers some basic fight considerations (footwork, movement, blocking,) as well as how to write this action well (how much detail? Action or reaction). Author clearly knows what he's doing.

Great summary of the main points at the end. A 4 star reference book - I liked it.

There is a slightly longer review of this book (and some ot
Lori Watson
Jun 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'm a writer, not a fighter, and this was a great little book of tips for those who write, not fight. I highlighted quite a bit of the book, only to find a cheat sheet checklist at the end which summed up most of my highlights. This will be something I refer to when rewriting my fight scenes. Well worth the quick read!
Brianna Silva
Dec 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-writing
Ignore this book's unfortunate cover; this is actually an excellent resource on how to write realistic fight scenes. Someone recommended it to me, and now I recommend it to you: If you're a writer, and you write fight scenes of any sort, read this. It's short, but I learned a lot from it.
Dave Versace
Feb 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Alan Baxter is a writer and a kung fu instructor, and if that sounds like a handy combination, it is. Write the Fight Right (WtFR) draws on his experiences in the dojo and the odd real-life street confrontation to help writers bring a touch of reality to their fight scenes.

Baxter helpfully breaks the book into several sections, broadly starting with how fights actually unfold in real life, and in particular showing which factors are the most important in determining the outcome (footwork, reach,
Nerine Dorman
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Short and to the point, Write the Fight Right says exactly what it does, and Alan Baxter offers a valuable resource to any author who might need to write combat scenes.

Though real-life experience will always beat theory hands down, there is enough information here, presented in a highly accessible, no-nonsense style, that clears up many areas that might be an issue in fiction.

Baxter really takes a broad view – talking about movement, blocking and how fighters’ physical attributes matter. He give
James
A very nice little reference for authors who want to write realistic fight scenes but lack the training or street-fighting background to draw on their own experience. I heartily wish that the writers who create a lot of the fight scenes in books, movies, and TV entertainment would learn some of this stuff: I've lost count of the times I've had my suspension of disbelief wrecked by watching or reading about people doing ridiculous things that in real life would be more likely to disable themselve ...more
Rich Weatherly
Oct 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Readers today demand action, at least a certain amount of it when they read. Write the Fight Right, offers up a rich collection of tools writers can use to create realistic fight scenes.

What I liked most were the discussions on psychological and physiological aspects of fighting. Even if you are not a fighter, you will be able to relate to his discussion of the adrenaline dump and responses to fight or flight scenarios. If you've ever broken a bone or been 'knocked out', you will relate to his
Roseanne
Jun 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Alan does a great job highlighting the show vs. tell dilemma every writer faces while writing scenes. More specifically when writing action/fighting scenes. I highly recommend this quick read to any writer, published and aspiring, who could use a little edge in their action wording.
Well done, Alan.
Kay Camden
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Straightforward, clear, and useful. Easy for people who aren't professional fighters to understand. I wish I had read this years ago. And the bullet list at the end is extremely helpful--it provides a quick refresher before I write a fight scene, and gives me something to easily refer back to.
Rose Sandy
Jul 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I found this book so authentic. As a writer of the occasional fight scene. It was great to get the facts straight from a professional.
Kev Stacey
Dec 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
A handy reference guide I'll be coming back to.
Sean Cameron
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Clear instructions and useful insight

Short and sweet, gets to the point with no fluff. If you're looking to write an informed fight scene this will give you the tips you need.
Pete Aldin
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Helpful and easy to follow. A book I’ll return to as a reference tool again and again.
Bernie Gourley
Feb 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: martial-arts
I was going to pan this for being the wrong book, but then I read through the blurb (and even the subtitle) and realized that it was largely my fault that I got the wrong book. Furthermore, I recognized that the information contained in this tiny e-book is good and that it’s packaged in a concise form. I, thus, concluded that this is the right book for someone—just not me nor many of you. I’ll, therefore, devote the bulk of this review to differentiating for whom the book will be beneficial and ...more
K.M. Weiland
May 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Sooner or later, most authors are faced with the necessity of having a character throw a few punches. A streetwise cop taking on thugs or a hunky gentleman saving his damsel—whatever your cuppa, the nature of conflict demanded by good fiction means characters often end up getting physical with each other. This is a good thing, since no conflict means no story. But what isn’t so good is the fact that many of us are uninitiated in the cold hard facts of fighting. We take our cues from Hollywood’s ...more
Karen Field
Jun 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
There’s a lot to be said about the common writing tip, ‘write what you know’, and Write the Fight Right by Alan Baxter is testament to that. Alan is a writer, but his passion for the martial arts truly comes through in this book. His knowledge and understanding on the subject makes this book a resource I’m grateful to have purchased.

All writers have to face a confrontation at some time, or their characters do at least. I find it one of the hardest things to write, so when I found out about this
Tarl
Jul 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing, non-fiction
I picked this book up after hearing about it on the Dead Robots Society podcast. As I often include fight scenes in my fiction, I was interested in seeing what would be suggested and what helpful hints I could glean from this piece.

Though “Write the Fight Right” is a short book, the quality of information packs quite the punch. (sorry for the pun, couldn’t resist) Baxter covers all the important things required to write an excellent fight scene without going into a boring excess of detail simpl
Jamie Maltman
Aug 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing
Quick and to the point, like a good fight scene. Baxter does a good job weaving in his martial arts and writing experience to give fantastic tips on creating believable, visceral fight scenes that will bring the reader into the heads of your characters, instead of following in the footsteps of completely unrealistic Hollywood depictions.

Thanks Alan, I've got some great notes to apply in my next revision cycle on my current book. And thanks Joanna Penn for interviewing Alan so I could discover h
Kathleen Marineau
Aug 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Alan Baxter is very clear in explaining the reasons behind hand-to-hand fighting techniques. He includes why the scenes in most films are not realistic and recommends alternatives. From my nursing background I most appreciated his explanation of the body's autonomic response to the fight and how trained fighters deal with it.

This book is not long, but is packed with information. No word is wasted, therefore your time is well served.
Margarita  _〆(눈_눈;′)
I found this guide fairly useful in writing a fight scene. I would prefer more examples. I suppose it's best to simply take krav maga classes to actually experience a fight, and write from personal experience.
Auden Johnson
Jun 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-writing
Amazing book. This is a great resource for anyone wishing to make their fight scenes better. Halfway through the book and it already had me rethinking my action scenes. I highlighted nearly half the book. I'll definitely be rereading one. To top it off, it’s a quick and easy read.
Daniel Ferguson
Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An instruction manual that makes your heart beat faster. What more could you need in a writing-about-fighting book?
Gary Kemble
Jul 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is an awesome book that has come in handy in my own writing. It helped dispel a number of Hollywood myths surrounding real-world fighting.
Millicent Ashby
Now I want to go back through my novels and see what I can do to improve on the fight scenes. This helped a lot.
Cat Sheely
May 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
For anyone who writes and want's to know just what it is like to be in a fight, what moves there are, how long it takes etc this is an excellent book and a brilliant reference to get it right.
K.M. Weiland
Oct 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Must read for any author who writes action scenes.
S.L. Coelho
Oct 30, 2011
Songbird21
May 17, 2015
James
Jan 09, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
Alan Baxter is an award-winning British-Australian author who writes dark fantasy, horror and sci-fi, rides a motorcycle and loves his dog. He also teaches Kung Fu. He lives among dairy paddocks on the beautiful south coast of NSW, Australia, with his wife, son, dog and cat. He is the author of the dark urban fantasy thriller trilogy, Bound, Obsidian and Abduction (The Alex Caine Series) published ...more
More about Alan Baxter