Start by marking “Do the Right Thing: A Spike Lee Joint” as Want to Read:
Do the Right Thing: A Spike Lee Joint

Do the Right Thing: A Spike Lee Joint

The phenomenon of Spike Lee continues with this revealing and engaging look at his outstanding career, his creative process, and the screenplay for his dynamic movie Do The Right Thing. Spike Lee burst full formed into the screen world with his award-winning, commercially successful independent film She's Gotta Have It. In the few short years following this stellar debut h ...more
Published 1989 by Fireside

To ask other readers questions about Do the Right Thing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Do the Right Thing

Start your review of Do the Right Thing: A Spike Lee Joint
Darin
Jul 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: screenplays
First, this is a solid screenplay for a great movie. This script acted more like a blueprint with extra dialogue added on set. What makes this book so enjoyable is Spike Lee's journal. He explains how the ideas became the film and the production and casting meetings that went into its development. Since this ended up being his breakout movie, it is great to read the artist's thoughts as that project was developed.
Dorkgod
Sep 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book is a journal kept by Spike while writing "Do the right Thing." Very fascinating to get such an in depth look at one man's thought process from idea to screen.
Katies_Faves
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I had to read this for my Freshman Writing 101 class my first semester in college. It’s been decades since i read it and yet I still think about this book (and the movie) quite often, not surprisingly though. I don’t remember the actual writing of the book - only how it made me feel then and over the years. And because it’s been decades since I read it and I still think about it I gave it 5 Stars.
It was my first introduction, I believe, of a book dealing with racism written by a black auth
Anthony McGill
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: film-screenplays
SAVORING SPIKE'S 'JOINT'.
A special film deserves special attention.
This book contains Spike Lee's extensive journal which gives a fascinating account of the promotion of his earlier "School Daze" flick and the preparation for the making of "Do the Right Thing" plus production notes for the latter; altogether running some 100 pages of insight into the craft of filmmaking.
There are also 30 pages of black and white Bill Lee photos of on-location shooting with detailed comments by the v
Dankwa Brooks
Oct 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really good “coffee table book”. Lots of great big glossy stills (photos) from the film. Besides the great photos one of the best parts of the book is the "Oral History by Jason Matloff" featuring pretty much everyone from the film, cast & crew, involved in the classic film.

Also included in the book a copy of the handwritten screenplay by Spike Lee. I didn’t think it would be, but reading the script to a film I know all so well was strangely compelling.

If you are a fan of the classic fil
Jessie Drew
LOVVVVED reading about the process that SL & co. went through to get DtRT made. If you’re a cinephile or if you’re a Spike Lee fan you’ll enjoy this book. If you’re both then you’ll love it! So glad to round out Black History Month with this book. Movies + culture + books = LIFE 🙌🏾
Maria
Aug 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
You CANNOT even imagine how happy I was when this book arrived at my doorstep! Do the Right Thing is such an amazing movie - and it only seems right that this coffee-table book be used to celebrate it accomplishments.

Right off the back, this book is so entertaining because it features dialogue between all of the major actors/directors/producers of the film - and they don't always agree on what happened on the set! The back-and-forth between them make the book easy to read and hilarious. As soon
Dankwa Brooks
May 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
‘Do the Right Thing’ is my FAVORITE “Spike Lee Joint”. Don’t know why it took me so long to get this book, but it did. Probably because I owned, and poured over all of the extras on the 2 Disc DVD. What more could I learn right? Turns out a lot more. Yes the DVD was very detailed, but much insight is to be gained in this book mostly curated from his journals while making DTRT.

For most of all of his early films, Spike Lee published an accompanying book. This was also mostly before DVDs with all
Michael
Aug 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This large coffee-table type book consists of a 40 page oral history on the making of the film (with much of the cast and crew participating), a photo recap of the film, behind the scenes photos, and a reproduction Spike's handwritten script.

It's put together very well and the photos are beautiful, I just wish the oral history had been longer/more in-depth. Any behind the scenes film book now has to compete with Jan Stuart's "The Nashville Chronicles" for me, and this one just isn't
Michael Borshuk
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
A volume that includes the shooting script and production notes for one of the most important American films of the past thirty years. It is striking how many of the concerns about racial antagonism in America that inspired the film's narrative remain immediate now.
Emily Henriott
liy....................
Brandon
Aug 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
Read half. Maybe next time I watch the movie, I will read the other half.
Adam
Oct 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Essential reading for anyone who loves movies. Only wish it was longer. Now I have to catch up with Lee's She's Gotta Have It and School Daze journals.
Alex

• Nightmare of Ecstasy: The Life and Art of Edward D. Wood
  • Reservoir Dogs
  • Monty Python and the Holy Grail: Screenplay
  • Clerks & Chasing Amy
  • The Film Encyclopedia: The Most Comprehensive Encyclopedia of World Cinema in a Single Volume
  • A History of Narrative Film
  • Future Noir: The Making of Blade Runner
  • Cinematography for Directors: A Guide for Creative Collaboration
  • A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints
  • Four Screenplays: Studies in the American Screenplay
  • All the Rage: The Boondocks Past and Present
  • Fargo
  • Glory Road: My Story of the 1966 NCAA Basketball Championship and How One Team Triumphed Against the Odds and Changed America Forever
  • Nightmare Movies: A Critical Guide to Contemporary Horror Films
  • This Is Orson Welles
  • Stanley Kubrick: A Biography
  • Slumdog Millionaire: The Shooting Script
Shelton Jackson Lee, better known as Spike Lee, is an Emmy Award - winning, and Academy Award - nominated American film director, producer, writer, and actor noted for his films dealing with controversial social and political issues. He also teaches film at New York University and Columbia University. His production company, 40 Acres & A Mule Filmworks, has produced over 35 films since 1983.