Start by marking “When We Wake (When We Wake, #1)” as Want to Read:
When We Wake (When We Wake, #1)

When We Wake

(When We Wake #1)

Sixteen-year-old Tegan is just like every other girl living in 2027—she's happiest when playing the guitar, she's falling in love for the first time, and she's joining her friends to protest the wrongs of the world: environmental collapse, social discrimination, and political injustice.

But on what should have been the best day of Tegan's life, she dies—and wakes up a
Published March 5th 2013 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about When We Wake, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Essence It was kind of confusing I agree, what I thought happened was the government were using Marie against her and she remembered everything that Marie had…moreIt was kind of confusing I agree, what I thought happened was the government were using Marie against her and she remembered everything that Marie had done for her. When I read this part of the book of personally pictured her walking out alone, not with Abdi. Sorry that no one answered your question for 3 years btw lol(less)
Abby O'Leary Yes, for sure! I am usually not in the mood to start a series, and picked this one up not knowing it it had a sequel. Now I am happy there is one,…moreYes, for sure! I am usually not in the mood to start a series, and picked this one up not knowing it it had a sequel. Now I am happy there is one, because I really enjoyed the characters and the setting. But, it ends at a place that could easily be an ending for a stand alone novel.(less)
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadThe Elite by Kiera CassRequiem by Lauren Oliver
YA Novels of 2013
1,575 books — 11,039 voters
The 5th Wave by Rick YanceyGameboard of the Gods by Richelle MeadMind Games by Kiersten WhiteThe Program by Suzanne YoungLet the Sky Fall by Shannon Messenger
First In Series (2013)
904 books — 2,319 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of When We Wake (When We Wake, #1)
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Jun 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: Jobelle Aqui
3.75 stars!

Just when I thought I’d never find another good dystopian read again, here comes an unexpected book, (courtesy of my friend, Jobelle) and I really enjoyed it. I’m only frowning at the conclusion because I don’t have the second book and I really want to continue with the story of Tegan Oglietti, also called “Teeg” and yep, her name alone has already bought me completely. It also helps a lot that she’s a total kick-ass and adorably sarcastic.

Who wouldn’t sympathize with a sixteen year
Ai Haibara
Mar 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Across the Universe fans-kind of
Recommended to Ai Haibara by: me judging the cover and blurb
DO NOT BE FOOLED BY THE MEDIOCRE AVERAGE RATING THIS BOOK HAS BECAUSE IT IS REALLY REALLY GOOD

description

description

Honestly I did not have high hopes for this book because of it's deja vu Across the Universe storyline but this was actually really good!

So, in the year of 2027, Teegan was living the best day of her life. However, that ends abruptly when she gets shot and finds herself 100 years into the future when she wakes up from being cryonically frozen.

The world building of When we wake was explored quite
Giselle
Apr 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, arc
What happens after death? Well for Tegan, it's another life. 100 years from now. A fascinating premise indeed! Who's not intrigued by the future? Curious about the state of our planet, the technology, even the fashion? I was really excited to get into this book and for the most part it I really enjoyed it. My problems mostly lay with the way the book came off as a big environmental/social speech.

Tegan is in love and it's all pretty and roses, then she abruptly wakes up… 100 years from now. That
Emer (A Little Haze)
Aug 09, 2018 rated it did not like it
Recommended to Emer (A Little Haze) by: Mirjam
Read as part of the ABN Summer Reading Challenge recommended by Mirjam

Tedious. Clunky prose. Utterly lacking in subtlety. Laden with agenda. Poorly structured. Lacking in dynamic characters.
Generally dismal. Ironic how it's called when we wake when all it did was made me fall asleep from boredom.

Sorry Mirjam. I guess you and I are utterly diametrically opposed to each other when it comes to rating books. I'm sure someday we will find a book we both love with equal measure but sadly this one
Amanda
When We Wake by Karen Healey is set in Melbourne, firstly in the year 2027 and later in the year 2127. In the beginning Tegan Oglietti is sixteen and on her way to a climate change protest, along with her best friend, Alex, and her new boyfriend, Dalmar. But her day doesn't go to plan and she wakes up 100 years later to find out she is the first person to successfully be awakened from a cryogenic state. She’s told she’s part of a special project to bring soldiers back to life, but she soon finds ...more
Sam Cristol
Jun 30, 2013 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Middle schoolers
Rating: 1.5

First things first, let's talk about what this book did well. For example, the idea behind the book was really cool. The cover design was also really great. Also, the first chapter or so was a really great start to an interesting story.

Other than that though? Just put the book down. Stop- yes stop right there. If you're expecting it to be amazing (like I was), then you need to either lower your expectations, or prepare for a rough ride.

First of all, let's talk about the main
Erin
The Beatles sang all you need is love. It would be nice if that were true. But, like everyone, they wanted a lot more than love alone; they wanted wealth and glory and freedom and peace. They wanted to travel; they wanted to investigate their spirtuality; they wanted their children to be happy and safe. Love is a good start, but we need more than that to get through.

Now this is one futuristic novel that I may never have been exposed to if it hadn't been for a grade nine student that told me it
Lisbeth Avery {Domus Libri}
The only reason I read this book was because of Renae's review. I couldn't have been any less interested in the book, to be honest. It sounded like another boring dystopian with a hint of ACROSS THE UNIVERSE.

I'm so happy to say that WHEN WE WAKE was different from everything I'd ever read in the genre. Dystopian and science fiction are my favorite genres, and have been ever since I was a kid. I don't often get lucky with them however and I tend to find most of my favorite books in the fantasy
Rosa
I picked this book up off the shelf because, well, it was shiny. And the cover is so very, very pretty. Creepy, but the colours do look amazing together.
At first, I just couldn't get into this book. The premise just seemed too sad. To put it in perspective, I had recently read five dystopian books in a row, and without knowing it, in doing so I had filled my mind with all sorts of "We are all going to die! We are going to be taken over by a totalitarian government with horrible laws!" and of
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

WHEN WE WAKE is a very political book, and, to a lesser degree, a very religious book. Those aren’t necessarily bad things. But when the politics and religion are preachy, it becomes much harder to enjoy the story hiding underneath.

And the story underneath is intriguing, or at least the premise is. A girl who is brought back to life a hundred years after she dies must learn to adapt to a hostile and unfamiliar world. Everything from technology to
Colleen Scidmore
This is probably about a 3.5 star read.

Tegan Oglietti is known as the Living Dead Girl. She is given that name because Tegan died in the year 2027, actually she was murdered. But through technology and her prior authorization to donate her body to science, her body was saved through cryogenics and woken up a century later. She is told they have woken her to gain data for a government project to rescue and revive dead soldiers. She is only to happy to help because her father was a mortally
Apr 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Tegan Oglietti's life in 2027 was great before she died. It was her first official date with her long time friend Dalmar when she was shot and killed. Then she woke up in 2128 and couldn't believe she had been frozen. She had checked the box on her driver's license to donate her body to science but she had meant donate organs to help people, not be frozen! After a bit of a freak out she decides it is better to be alive than dead so she will try to make the most of it.

At first the future looks
Melani
Mar 05, 2013 rated it did not like it
~Tina~

It's the year 2027 in Australia - Melbourne and sixteen year old Tegan Oglietti is having a typical happy day. She's off to a political rally with her best friend Alex and new boyfriend Dalmar. The day was looking up and things couldn't be more perfect.
Till it all faded to black and Tegan woke up in the year 2128, a hundred years into the future.
A sniper was after the Prime Minister that faithful day, but he was sloppy and hit Tegan instead. She died on the way to the hospital but she
Braiden
Jan 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
At first sight When We Wake will call out for you, its bright, sharp, and almost white cover standing out on the shelf amongst the other covers, too dark in comparison. What the cover of When We Wake achieves is a sense of questioning already in the reader, and once the words ‘cryogenically frozen’ in the synopsis are read and connected to the cover, there would be no going back, no putting Karen Healey’s new science fiction offering back on the bookshop shelf. When We Wake provides a quite ...more
Wealhtheow
Tegan lives in future Australia. Her main concerns are her music, activism, and her new boyfriend--until she's killed at an environmentalist rally. She wakes up a hundred years even further into the future, the first successful cryogenic revival of an army project. Some things are better: composting, recycling, and water saving are commonplace, while racism, homophobia, and transphobia are mostly gone. Plus, computers are teensy! Some things are worse: climate change has escalated, and resource ...more
Apr 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dystopian
I enjoyed the thriller-style plot of this book but as a SF novel and as literature I felt it really fell short. The future world felt either unrealistic (they refer to portable devices as 'computers', a word which even my high school students don't use any more) or an unimaginative exaggeration of our present world. The refugee and bio-ethical issues explored are obviously relevant to present-day Australia (which is of course not an issue, as SF always reflects contemporary themes) but there's ...more
shady boots | #WatchPOSE
Mar 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-faves
An enjoyable read overall, yet far from action-packed. But I thought it was great that it took more of the character-based type of story, and it's very clear that the action is saved for the books that are to come in the series. And I also really loved how the future looked in this book because the author didn't glamorize it or add any ridiculous and over-the-top things.

A small scene that touched me is when one of the characters in the book, a Muslim girl, talked about her ex-girlfriend so
Ben Babcock
One of the pleasures of reading often and reading widely is the capacity for books to surprise me. A book I think I’ll enjoy turns out to be rubbish, while other books exceed expectations. This book delighted and invigorated me. I didn’t expect much from When We Wake. It’s not because it’s YA. It’s because it’s set in Australia.

I’m totally kidding. It’s totally because it’s YA. Specifically, dystopian YA. I’ve been burned enough times by it before. There’s something about the allegory of
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Apr 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of The Beatles
Just yesterday, series information was added to Goodreads for When We Wake. I'm so glad that happened before I wrote up this review, because, honestly, the open-ended ending might have left me rather unsatisfied if I didn't know there was going to be more. Plus, I'm just excited there will be more, because When We Wake was a delight all the way through, populated with lovable characters, science-fictiony goodness, and references to The Beatles.

Before I get into the serious plot stuff, I have to
Chiara
A copy of this novel was provided by Allen and Unwin in exchange for an honest review.

To be entirely honest, I take some comfort in reading about horrible futures and dystopian societies in other countries. Not because I am a sadist and relish in their downfall. No, it’s just like: aw, yeah, Australia is just chilling down in the ocean and everything’s fine. We’re fine. We’re fine.

When We Wake is set in an Australia of the future. *cue screaming* We’re one of the superpowers, one of the only
K.
Tegan Oglietti was born in Melbourne in 2010. At the age of 16, she's shot and killed. Then she wakes up in 2128, having been the product of a military cryogenics experiment. She struggles to adapt to life in the future, especially when she learns that the experiment may not be as good a thing as she first thinks.

Look, this book paints a very bleak view of the future. It's a world in which climate change plays a huge role, a world where Australia is both more diverse and more bigoted than it is
Journey
meh.

- i'm all for liberal/issues books but i agree with the people who said this was kind of heavy handed.

- Healey created a muslim (bi?) lesbian character and a trans lesbian character whose fates were to be injured and left behind so the confirmed-straight mc and her love interest could escape. YAWN. (the sneak peek of the next book reveals at least one of them made it out, but there's no mention of the other.)

- speaking of the love interest... Teegan had a black (Dalmar, who is Somalian)
NJ
Aug 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Fantastic world building and thoughtful concept. This novel gives the reader an insight into what Australia may be like in 100 years time through the eyes of 16 year old Tegan who was frozen and revived. The story is reflective on the current political, religious, and environmental landscape, and how it could impact the future. It's a novel that calls for action and sends a strong message to young readers to start caring about how today's actions/inactions could make or break the future. The ...more
Chally
This book would have been a million times better if Karen had LISTENED TO ME and changed the end to my wedding to Bethari. Also, the best bit is the acknowledgements, and I recommend that you read them first.

(But seriously this book is great and I was very chuffed to be an early reader of it.)
Jenni Arndt
Jun 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-own
When we wake was a book I knew I had to get my hands on. From the moment I saw the stunning white cover I was so curious about what was inside. I don’t know how many times I have said this but I am going to say it once again, white covers are the best! On a shelf they POP amongst all the blacks & reds. I used to be a sucker for a cover that had red on it but now that is everywhere so it doesn’t get me as excited. I suppose one day this will happen with white covers... hmmm... Anyway, the ...more
Nicole
Guys! It’s more Australian dystopic fiction! (I mean, technically it is Australian dystopic fiction. Karen Healey is from New Zealand, but W3 takes place in Melbourne.)

Australian! Dystopic! Fiction! With a pretty cover! And oh, so many Beatles references!

Ahem.

In 2027, seventeen-year-old Tegan Oglietti is having a great day: The boy she has long loved from afar has just professed his love for her; she has a happy home life with her mom and older brother; and she, her boyfriend, and her best
Angie
Dec 14, 2012 rated it liked it
When We Wake was not what I was expecting, but I still mostly enjoyed it. It’s the story of Tegan, a sixteen year old girl who was accidentally shot and killed, then brought back to life 100 years later. She had been cryonically frozen and was the first successful revival, making her the face of this controversial project. However, the military also has other plans for Tegan that she doesn’t discover until it’s too late.

Just a quick a note about the writing style, since I know some people aren’t
Alex Shrugged
"When We Wake" by Karen Healey is book 1 of the series. The next book "While We Run" will be released in May 2014. It is young adult scifi and reasonably well done.

The story: Tegan is a young high school student who is going to a rally in present-day Australia with her boyfriend when a shot rings out. She awakens in the twenty-second century, revived from a cryogenic sleep and the world has not become better. Just different.

Any problems with this story? Well... it depends. The book takes a
Roberta R. (Offbeat YA)
Rated 4.5 really.

Excerpt from my review - originally published at Offbeat YA.

Pros: Strong characters with distinctive voices. Lots of (intersectional) diversity. On-point social/environmental commentary perfectly integrated into the story. Fast pace.
Cons: A few familiar tropes/premises.
WARNING! One brutal death. Mass murder of children.
Will appeal to: Readers who care about the state our world is in. Readers who like a thrilling yet romantic adventure. Beatles fans.

I'm ordinarily all for books
Play Book Tag: When We Wake / Karen Healey. 3.75 stars 1 8 Mar 17, 2019 01:27PM
SQHS Sci-Fi/Fanta...: Future, adventure and love 2 4 Jun 04, 2017 10:28AM
When We Wake By: Karen Healey 1 4 Apr 29, 2017 01:50PM
Crazy for Young A...: When We Wake by Karen Healey → Start Date: January 6, 2014 43 30 Jan 12, 2014 12:13PM

• Icons (Icons, #1)
  • Dualed (Dualed, #1)
  • Impostor (Variants, #1)
  • An Unstill Life
  • The Summer Prince
  • Doomed
  • Adaptation (Adaptation, #1)
  • Breaking Point (Article 5, #2)
  • MILA 2.0 (MILA 2.0, #1)
  • Pulse (Pulse, #1)
  • The Outside
  • Revolution 19 (Revolution 19, #1)
  • Consider (Holo, #1)
  • Skinned (Cold Awakening, #1)
  • Renegade (MILA 2.0, #2)
  • Beta (Annex, #1)
  • Bumped (Bumped, #1)
  • Brave New Girl (Brave New Girl, #1)
Karen Healey writes books about tough girls with brains and interesting boys with secrets. She likes nail art, superheroes, and musical soundtracks. She technically lives in New Zealand, but really lives on the Internet.

When We Wake (2 books)
  • While We Run (When We Wake, #2)
“No matter how much money he'd been offered or how many glittering stars had requested duets, he hadn't sung for them.
But he'd sung for me.”