Start by marking “Magic Rises (Kate Daniels, #6)” as Want to Read:
Magic Rises (Kate Daniels, #6)

Magic Rises

(Kate Daniels #6)

4.48  ·  Rating details ·  41,813 ratings  ·  3,102 reviews
Atlanta is a city plagued by magical problems. Kate Daniels will fight to solve them—no matter the cost.

Mercenary Kate Daniels and her mate, Curran, the Beast Lord, are struggling to solve a heartbreaking crisis. Unable to control their beasts, many of the Pack’s shapeshifting children fail to survive to adulthood. While there is a medicine that can help, the secret to its
Mass Market Paperback, 327 pages
Published July 30th 2013 by Berkley Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about Magic Rises, please sign up.
Marissa Teng Yeah I was pissed and felt he got off way to easy. WTF? I didn't buy it either, he really could have told her and yes he is an ASS. Curran dropped…moreYeah I was pissed and felt he got off way to easy. WTF? I didn't buy it either, he really could have told her and yes he is an ASS. Curran dropped drastically on my "man pudding" list even though in the next book he isnt a total ass. I'll still never like him the same because of this.(less)
Tea I absolutely did. Some part of me was intrigued by the thought of he and Kate as an item. Blasphemy I know....

So excited they are building a series…more

So excited they are building a series around him next! I have faith that they will find a heroine as tough and strong as Kate to handle Hugh's big ego. (less)

·  41,813 ratings  ·  3,102 reviews

Navessa

Okay, before everyone freaks out, let me explain something here. My modus operandi for reading books I’m really looking forward to is to go into them blind. I don’t read reviews, I ignore status updates from friends, and sometimes, I don’t even read the book blurb. So that’s what I did going into this. I ignored everyone and everything.

Don’t do that.

You need to prepare yourself. There’s a lot of fucking drama in this book. For me, too much drama. I spent over two hundred pages feeling
Angela
Jan 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Angela by: myself
August 2016 re-read: God, I love this book. The tension in it is delicious - even excepting the thing that I hate. Because there are plenty of things that I love. And Kate is amazing, as always.

October 2015 re-read: I loved this book just as much as the first time I read it. And though I said, in my original review, to read it without any spoilers, I would amend that now. Just this one: Curran is an ass. And the emotional turmoil that Kate gets put through in this book is devastating. She's kick
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
The Grand IAA™ KD Buddy Rerererereread Extravaganza (GIAAKDBRE™), aka the yellow brick road to Magic Triumphs

Presenting Episode 6, or How Kate Daniels Learned That It's Fishing Hard To Resist The Fishing Urge To Fishing Punch The Fishing Pack Princess

» And the moralssssss of this particular rererereread are:

I never wrote a proper crappy non review for this book. Yeah yeah yeah, I know, shame on me and all that crap. Anyway, what does this tell you? That I am as lazily uninspired as a Ti
Ferdy
2.5 stars - Spoilers

Not impressed. I've never given an Ilona Andrews book less than 3 stars before but there was just too much WTFery in Magic Rises to rate it any higher. I loved all the earlier Kate Daniels books, they had the right balance of plot, action, romance and humour. Sadly, Magic Rises was a complete mess.

Random thoughts:

-What's what: Pack kids go loup, need medicine, loads of melodrama, Kate/Curran offered medicine and in exchange must protect pregnant shifter (Desendra), Kate and g
Sophia Triad
Far far away, somewhere in Europe, two of the biggest European Packs are in turmoil. A wolf princess, Desandra is pregnant with twins by both packs. One baby is from Volkodavi from Ukraine and one baby from Belve Ravennati from Italy. Apparently this is something that can happen in shifters: A female can be pregnant by two males and get twins.

The result is two families arguing about their rights over her children.

Moreover, Desandra’s cruel father is waiting to see which baby will be born first
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more

First of all, it's still amazing to me how the Andrews can reduce you to tears over peripheral characters with just a few sentences.

One minute you're fine, then the next you're, "Well, that sucks," and then your face gets warm, your eyes get hot, and before you even know what's happened, you're blubbering.

YES. Blubbering.

Why are you blubbering?

B/c a mother gets down on the floor to sing her child, who will more-than-likely have to be killed b/c she's gone rabid, a lullaby, barely able t
Adina
Nov 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy-pr
3.5*

Kate Daniels was exactly what I needed to get through my reading slump. It helped me 1 year ago when I binged read the first 5 volumes in the series and I have the feeling it helped now as well. I needed fast paced, engaging adventure to absorb me completely and compel me to open the kindle whenever I got the chance.

Kate is my favorite UF heroine, smart, witty, kick ass and funny. I enjoyed that the setting in this volume shifts to Europe, more exactly to Georgia, a country I do not know to
Jen Davis
May 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Is it too early to post this? Probably. But it was so damn good. Here is the review:

Ilona Andrews is the gold standard for urban fantasy. This book made me laugh and it made me ache. It kept me glued to the page. And after six installments, Kate Daniels is every bit as engaging as ever... maybe even more so.

You get to a point in almost every series where the gang takes a road trip --and this is that book. All of the core characters are there: Kate, Curran, Derek... Andrea, Rafael, and even Saima
Julio Genao
the ending of this book in one gif:

description

but maybe my perception is colored by the COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY DEATH OF MY FAVORITE CHARACTER.

*rude gesture*
♔ Jaela ♊ Killer ⚔ QUEEN
First read July 2014, rating 4 stars
Second read May 2016, rating 3 stars

I'm having such a hard time reviewing this book. Maybe the hardest.
I'm so sorry I have to lower my rating, but this book didn't make me feel good at all. This reread made me dislike Curran more than I already did. Some things are just unacceptable.

Review contains spoilers and it is not recommended to Curran's fans. If you think he's the ultimate Alpha male and perfect for Kate, please do not proceed reading this.

Since this
Robin (Bridge Four)
3rd read....I never get enough.

Kate Daniels Buddy Read/Reread with the gang at Ilona Andrews Addicts (IAA) before the release of Magic Shifts

I loved this all over again. The emotional development of Kate/Currans relationship, Saiman as an ally, Hugh as an Enemy and all the side character that are so rich with their own personalities that always shine through. I eat it all up and want more. This is one of my favorite series of all time and that stays true even on the 3rd read through.

2nd read:
Re
Sh3lly (GrumpyBookGrrrl.com)
First Read: October 2014 - Five Stars
Second Read: July 2015 - Five Stars

I'm keeping my original rating and still think this is my favorite after the third book. Hugh steals the show in this one and is such an awesome and sexy villain. The angst with Curran and Kate seemed unnecessary, but it didn't overpower the story. Thankfully, there was plenty going on and that wasn't focused on too much.

This one really has a lot of fantastic scenes and dialogue. I just love it!!!

Re-read with Ilona Andrews
Bradley
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ah, this one got me in the gut. Not short of misunderstandings between lovers, the gang goes to the old world and rubs elbows with a really old clan and can I really, in my heart, decide who's more to blame with the fallout between Curran and Kate?

At least we know those two love each other, even if the pressure's on for greater alliances, Panacea shipments, love rivalries, get in the way.

And then there's the totally gratifying reveals about Kate's past. Yummy.

And I know it's kinda a cheat to ke
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
AKA Kate and Curran's European Vacation. It's the vacation from hell, of course, but the change of setting did make for an interesting read.

The likelihood of shapeshifter children going "loup" (a terrible brand of murderous insanity), especially at birth or puberty, and needing to be killed off as a result, has always haunted Atlanta's Pack. The European shapeshifters have a magical herbal concoction called panacea that prevents or cures the loupism problem a high percentage of the time. But th
carol.
Jul 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of UF, strong heroines
Good heavens, most of the reviews GR shows on the first page are so full of fangirl squeeing that I can't read for the gifs and shouting fonts. It makes me want to hate the book out of naturally iconoclastic tendencies. However, as the Andrews continue to write a first rate urban fantasy series, I am unable to indulge--although I confess I did not reach squee-worthy heights.

The briefest of synopsis: Curran and Consort are invited to Europe to protect a pregnant were involved in a major dispute b
Jessie
May 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: I received this book as an eARC from the author.

Holy shit. That's my reaction to this book--in a good way!

This entire book is full of spoilers, which makes reviewing it a little difficult. Kate is very Kate. Curran is very Curran. At some points I was hoping Kate would punch Curran straight in the face. Sadly, that never happened.

It was really interesting to see a large chunk of the group in a new setting. It was enough people that sometimes I had to think about who was who, but ov
ᴥ Irena ᴥ

I will not read the next Kate Daniels book description nor will I read any reviews. Those completely ruined this book for me.

These are just some of my thoughts about the book. I don't plan to write a review.

The following are not exactly spoilers since I am not writing about the actual events, but still be warned.

Since I sometimes rate the books I've read by how they made me feel, this would be less than one star. The characters, the world and the story deserve the highest rating, although it
Deborah Obida
We don’t have a choice in what we are. We do have a choice in who we are.

How is this even possible, this duo still manage to wow me with each book in the same series. This series is fast becoming my favourite UF series.

The magic is A+
Plot A+
Characters A+
Writing A+

There is basically nothing that this series lack, if you doubt me just go read it. There is perfect amount of everything, there all compliment each other. Enough dialogue, fight scenes and even the romance is so well depicted it didn
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)

WARNING! This review contains a large dose of fan girl squealing a little bit of gushing ( not in that way you perv!) and is weighed down completely by boulders of crazy fan bias. Enjoy.

Magic Rises brings us to the sixth book in the Kate Daniels series and the gang have decided to take a little road trip to Europe. Okay, so decided isn't precisely the right word to use "forced" would be a more accurate description. The European packs have something that Kate and Curran desperately need, a medi
Glass
5-IwanttomakeoutwithKate-stars

description

Gunmetal Magic made me a little bit afraid to continue reading this series - I liked Andrea as Kate's sidekick and I was looking forward to reading her story, but unfortunately, it ended up as weakest book so far.
Magic Rises started slow and I needed some time to get into the story, but it was worth it. Sixth book redeemed Gunmetal Magic - plot development, characters, world building - absolutely flawless.
Yes, I was so mad at Curran, I wanted to smack his smug lio
Desperado
I was reading a few older Ilona Andrews blog posts tonight (yes, that's my idea of a good time on a Wendnesday night) and I came across one where they were talking about how a fan almost fainted when she saw them and how it wasn't a big deal. At first, I snickered to myself...but then I thought, what would I do if I saw IA? I WOULD TOTALLY FUCKING FAINT. And then, while I was lying all broken and pathetic on the floor, they would crouch down to see if I was okay. And THEN I would rear up like fu ...more
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*3.5 stars*

Another good installment in the Kate Daniels series, and a nice visit back to see some characters that I've missed. A little too much drama between Kate and Curran for my liking, but a strong story. Moving on to the next...
Haïfa
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: uf, favorites
The reread marathon continues :) I lowered my rating to 4.5 because I felt it was more fair and representative of how I really felt reading this book for the first time.

Original and a bit revamped review below
*********************************
Actual rating: 4.5 stars

It's strangely very hard for me to review these books. I don't know why but it's easier to review books I didn't enjoy or mildly liked. Reviewing books and series I loved feels harder because I want my reviews to both be objective an
Em Lost In Books
Reread.

Removing a star since this reminds me so much of Magic Bleed, where almost half of the book suffered because Curran and Kate did not talk and sort out things. If it was Kate there, then it was Curran here. They both got played by Hugh because of this miscommunication which Curran called, "I was trying to keep you safe, baby!" and blah blah blah. Half of the book again was about Kate's insecurities and how she should not trust or love anyone as they ultimately decide to leave her.

I rememb
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
After no less than 26 agonizing months, Magic Rises, the long-awaited sixth installment in the Kate Daniels series is finally here. Breaths are being held, bets are being placed, hearts are beating faster all over the world. Fans of the series are both numerous and ridiculously loyal, but will they be disappointed, whether they voice it or not?

Honestly, I’d have to judge that on a case-by-case basis. Early reactions have been very enthusiastic. Most reviewers have nothing but high praise to sha
Rachel Reads Ravenously
4 stars!

“Aha! So I’m not crazy.”
“You are most definitely crazy,” Derek said. “But in a deranged, endearing way.”

Short review. I really enjoyed this book, it's a great addition to the series and basically sets up many huge plot points for what is to come from this series. There were some low points (like the weredolphins, I mean really??) and some high points (I'm not telling you the high points lazy! Read it yourself!).

But I love this series and I want to jump right into the next one. So p
Layla ✷ Praise the sun ✷
Apr 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Re read at Ilona Andrews Addicts

I had one huge issue with this book.

Kate and Curran continued to refuse behaving like grown-ups and just talk to each other about things.
They both had major trust issues with each other (she didn't trust him enough not to instantly replace her with the next best conniving idiot who throws herself at him (yes, yes, I know there was more to Lorelei than this, but still), and he didn't trust her enough to tell her the truth about (view spoiler)
Evgeny
Nov 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Buddy read with Armina, Eilonwy, Asya, and Monty Cupcake.

Curran is made an offer he cannot refuse. To do so would be to give up his title of Beast Lord of Atlanta shapeshifters. It is obvious from the very beginning the offer is a trap, but the only option for him is to walk straight into it. And so the company of Atlanta shapeshifter heavyweights and Kate head to a Caucasian village for a glorified bodyguard job. Their main goal is to survive.

I really like this book. It firmly belongs to the c
Steven
Reread was just as powerful as the first time. This one is a game-changer in so many ways.
---
Now to start the wait for book seven. Sigh.
Anzu The Great Destroyer
Mild spoilers, which are conveniently hidden in spoiler tags, ahead.

This was a bumpy ride. A ridiculously fun yet painful ride. Let me start by saying that I’m pretty much crazy about Ilona Andrews’ books. Kate Daniels is between my most favorite series ever. I’m not exaggerating, it really is. I’ve been waiting for this book, like all of you guys, I’m sure, for about a year. Some of my Goodreads friends got the ARC a month before the release. I hated them. Still kind of do. I’ve been avoiding
Goodreads Librari...: Please change cover 8 40 Aug 30, 2018 07:02AM
Urban Fantasy Afi...: August 2017 Series Read - Magic Rises 10 14 Sep 01, 2017 08:04AM
My boyfriend thinks I'm crazy. 12 210 Jun 06, 2017 11:20AM
Urban Fantasy ser...: Magic Rises by Ilona Andrews 15 108 Jan 25, 2016 02:46AM

• Kate's Origin (Curran POV #6)
  • Night Blade (Colbana Files, #2)
  • Home (Downside Ghosts, #3.6)
  • Hot Blooded (Jessica McClain, #2)
  • Chimes at Midnight (October Daye, #7)
  • Binding the Shadows (Arcadia Bell, #3)
  • Head Rush (The Disillusionists, #3)
  • Frost Burned (Mercy Thompson, #7)
  • Murder of Crows (The Others, #2)
  • An Apple for the Creature
  • A Bloody Good Secret (Secret McQueen, #2)
Ilona Andrews is the pseudonym for a husband-and-wife writing team. Ilona is a native-born Russian and Gordon is a former communications sergeant in the U.S. Army. Contrary to popular belief, Gordon was never an intelligence officer with a license to kill, and Ilona was never the mysterious Russian spy who seduced him. They met in college, in English Composition 101, where Ilona got a better grade ...more

Kate Daniels (10 books)
  • Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1)
  • Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2)
  • Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3)
  • Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4)
  • Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5)
  • Magic Breaks (Kate Daniels, #7)
  • Magic Shifts (Kate Daniels, #8)
  • Magic Binds (Kate Daniels, #9)
  • Magic Triumphs (Kate Daniels, #10)
“Aha! So I’m not crazy.”
214 likes
“You’re taking a nap? Come on, Kate, I need you for this fight. Stop lying around.”
“You must think you’re funny.”
“Just saying, you have to pull your own weight. A hot body and flirting will only get you so far.”
“Everything I do, I learned from you, boy toy.”
“Boy toy?” Curran asked.
“Would you prefer man candy?”
175 likes