Start by marking “How to Read Slowly” as Want to Read:
How to Read Slowly

How to Read Slowly

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  187 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Established in 1968, the Wheaton Literary Series provides insightful books for the thoughtful reader, inspiring imagination, and reflection. These beautifully produced volumes feature prose and poetry of high literary, academic, and artistic merit, written by and about Christian artists of significant stature.
Published November 24th 2010 by Shaw Books (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about How to Read Slowly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Read Slowly

Dianne
Oct 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
I love this book! What's not to love in a book about reading? The authour's purpose is to help us read better for greater comprehension. He says "Our goal in reading carefully is not only to understand what is being said explicitly but to see why it is being said. We want to learn to recognize the world views of writers and speakers, and thus to know what their basic assumptions about life really are. It will help us decide what kind of attention to pay to their comments or proposals no matter h ...more
Scott
Jun 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would have finished this book sooner if not for three things that all contribute to why I read this book in the first place: I want to get better at helping my students understand what they can do to read, what happens when they read, why intelligent people choose to value reading on an individual and cultural level, and how to make reading a skill and an adventure not a task or an obligation.

The First Thing: My Daughters (or, No Man is That Desert Island Where You are Marooned with Only the B
Josue Manriquez
Mar 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Admittedly, I sped through this book.

I focused on sections that I believe were important to the main message of the book, and that I believe are more applicable to my life at this moment.

Over all, it's a good book on how to read!

:-)
Jacob Self
May 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
In the vein of Mortimer Adler's "How to Read a Book," world view expert and professor of English and literature, James Sire has written an engaging and practical book on reading comprehension. The title is somewhat of a misnomer since the book has nothing to do with the actual speed of reading but rather the process of comprehending what we read. He covers the genres of non-fiction, poetry, and fiction with especially helpful advice on how to read them. The last chapters are dedicated to the di ...more
Angie Libert
Feb 23, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scholar
The title of this book alone intrigued me. So often in our society it is reading fast that people strive for, but the longer I am a reader, the more I realize that reading slowly is the true key to literature. And so I was looking forward to this book based simply on the title, not knowing where it was going to lead.

Interestingly enough, the books overall aim is to teach us to read worldview-ish. I have just recently cued into this new key in reading, so I loved what this book presented.

The boo
Marianna
Mar 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: critical-reading
An excellent introduction to critical reading. Clear, concise, well written. The chapter on poetry is indispensable if you want to get the best out of a poem. Reads like a novel, too. If you like books about books, definitely go and get it.
Gwen Burrow
Jul 06, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literary
Read this (ahem) very fast.
Isaac
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fine, short, overview of how to read various genres and how to extract an author's worldview based on their work. Gives some suggestions of lists of "good books" that I may use in the future.

My only real disappointment is that I thought this would be a book teaching reflection on and retention of books' main points (synthesis) rather than extraction of the worldview and meaning behind the text (analysis). If you're looking for a book on analysis, however, this is a good one.
Lisa
Sep 26, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This work explains how to figure out what a writer's worldview is via his or her writings. A worldview, he says, is "a map of reality," "a mental model of the world." "It organizes our knowledge and give us a place from which to argue." (14) We act on it, he says, and when reality doesn't fit it, we either adjust it or dismiss that reality as not reflecting things the way they really are.

Our worldview, he says, include these basic concepts:
1) ultimate reality: what it is / our notion of God
2) w
Dawn Roberts
Previewing this for dd before she tackles a David Quine worldview study for 7-8th grade. I am somewhat intimidated at the beginning...If I am having trouble with this, how will my 12 yo do? Yet Sire's point is that good readers often re-read things, and wrestling with a piece of writing is part of the experience, not a sign of instant failure. As a Christian I tend to get depressed reading too much worldview stuff. I recognize the world's rebellion against God and I prefer not to drown myself in ...more
Barbara
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With both instruction and example, Sire shows how to detect an author’s world view, how to read “between the lines” while not “inventing or imagining what is not really there” (p. 42), how to “track the flow” of author’s argument or reasoning process. He has a whole chapter on poetry, another on reading fiction, another on reading in context (not imprinting our current way of thinking on older books, but understanding the context in which they were written). He gives tips for how to read, what t ...more
Holly
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I try to re-read this book once every four, or five, years because the advice about approaching reading and analyzing what you read is so valuable and because I have not mastered (CANNOT, more like!) the art of reading carefully and critically, I need continuous education. Once of the best features about this book, which can and should be read by everyone from about age 12 and up, is that I can pick a chapter about the genre in question and can (dare I say) quickly refresh myself before approach ...more
Nancy Bandusky
In our society where more is better, the author encourages people to change their quantity of books read ("more" numbers) for a better understanding of what they've read and where the author/reader are coming from ("more" comprehension).

The author includes examples and techniques of how reading slowly and re-reading - all while thinking - will help the reader get to the meat of the material or discover the lack thereof.

The choice is there - quantity or quality.

One technique to employ that I know
Aaron Cerda
I really enjoyed reading this again; this time to preview it before giving it to my daughter as assigned reading for her homeschooling. This book builds on, and should therefore be read after The Universe Next Door and is a good book to read if you want to start a foundation of critical reading with an eye for the worldview of the author.
Carissa Norris
Jul 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book on learning to read! His focus is not just on reading comprehension but reading with a worldview framework, that is, reading to understand what the author is trying to say not just what we think he is saying. His examples are solid and easy to follow. This book will increase your reading comprehension ten fold!
Kim Voss
Sep 09, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book before I went to college. I don't know how this book ended up on my bookshelf, but there is was and one day I opened it up and wow, my mind just opened up! Sire divides writing by how to read non-fiction, fiction, poetry, etc., all with a Christian mindset. It prepared me to understand how to read all kinds of writing.
Abigail
Apr 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: non-fiction
Short, well written, very thoughtful. Highly recommended if one wants to learn how to read with understanding the various forms of writing (fiction, non-fiction, poetry) or analyze a book for its worldview. Everyone should read this book.
Ralph
Apr 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One to read again! Along with "The Universe Next Door", this book has helped me to begin to read and understand different perspectives. Like Adler's "How to read a book", it offers the reader insight into reading for understanding and not just information or pleasure (although both result).
Clarissa
We have read portions of this for Caitlin's Worldviews study (her H.S. curriculum). I enjoyed it and look forward to reading the entire book--maybe this summer I'll have time. (that is always my dream!)
Brittany Petruzzi
The irony of my reading this book is that I did so very fast amid reading two other books (equally fast) and memorizing Latin vocab. I do remember being rather impressed.
Steve Campbell
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Good introduction on how to read well from a Christian perspective.
Michael Helvey
Unlike Mortimer Adler, James Sire actually seems like he enjoys reading.
Brent
Sep 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this on a friend's recommendation for my grad students and I thought it was a great Christian approach to literature. My ninth-grade son wasn't as excited about it :(
Roger Leonhardt
Jun 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good QUICK read :) Just kidding, it was a very good book, especially for those who love books.
Sheila Thoburn
Mar 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Helpful in learning how to comb a book, either fiction or non, for perspective and ideas. Great teaching tool.
Gerald  Zengeya
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Well I wished I had read this book first! A book that teaches you how to read well and also identify the worldview of the author. Enjoyed this book immensely.
Melinda
Looks like "How to Read A Book" by Mortimer Adler which we have been using for several terms in school. I look forward to how they compare.
Bev Kimmel
Some parts of this book were beyond my capabilities. But he is a good writer and thought provoking.
Kathleen
changed the title to The Joy of Reading: A Guide to Becoming a Better Reader
Chris Shon
Jun 09, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Reading Between the Lines
  • Assumptions That Affect Our Lives: How Worldviews Determine Values That Influence Behavior and Shape Culture
  • Invitation to the Classics: A Guide to Books You've Always Wanted to Read (Masterworks Series)
  • Recovering the Lost Tools of Learning
  • Books Children Love: A Guide to the Best Children's Literature
  • Unseduced and Unshaken: The Place of Dignity in a Woman's Choices
  • The Core: Teaching Your Child the Foundations of Classical Education
  • The Deadliest Monster: A Christian Introduction to Worldviews
  • Books That Build Character: A Guide to Teaching Your Child Moral Values Through Stories
  • The Seven Laws of Teaching
  • Our Island Story
  • Affliction
  • Poetic Knowledge: The Recovery of Education
  • Slow and Steady Get Me Ready for Kindergarten: 260 Activities to Do with Your Child from Age 0 to 5
  • Homeric Moments: Clues to Delight in Reading the Odyssey and the Iliad
  • Office Of Assertion: An Art of Rhetoric for the Academic Essay
  • Brightest Heaven of Invention: A Christian Guide to Six Shakespeare Plays
  • A Terrible Beauty: The People and Ideas That Shaped the Modern Mind: A History
32063
James W. Sire is a Christian author, speaker, and former editor for InterVarsity Press.

Sire has been an officer in the Army, a college professor of English literature, philosophy and theology, the chief editor of InterVarsity Press, a lecturer at over two hundred universities around the world and the author of twenty books on literature, philosophy and the Christian faith. His book The Universe Ne
More about James W. Sire...

“I am most interested in encouraging Christians to think and read well. Christians, of all people, should reflect the mind of their Maker. Learning to read well is a step toward loving God with your mind. It is a leap toward thinking God’s thoughts after Him.” 3 likes
“Life is short, but art is long. Sophocles is dead, but Oedipus lives on…Each of us when we read a great piece of literature is a little more human than befor” 2 likes