Start by marking “Downpour (Greywalker #6)” as Want to Read:
Downpour (Greywalker #6)

Downpour

(Greywalker #6)

Harper Blaine was your average small-time PI until she died—for two minutes. Now Harper is a Greywalker, treading the thin line between the living world and the paranormal realm. And she’s discovering that her new abilities are landing her all sorts of “strange” cases. After being shot in the back and dying—again—Harper has lost many of her powers. Now, if the Greywalker d ...more
Published August 1st 2011 by Roc

To ask other readers questions about Downpour, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Downpour

Start your review of Downpour (Greywalker #6)
Denisa
This is where the series gets boring

It has some interesting parts, but not many.
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
3.5
Downpour has a misfortune to come right after the book with the fastest pace in the series (among other great things). It isn't then surprising that it seems too slow at times. It took almost a third of the book to move forward or at least seemed like it. A perfect place for this book would have been before the fifth.
I would suggest taking a break between Labyrinth and Downpour if nothing else but to be able to appreciate this story more. But the truth is that it is not as great as the previo
The Reading List (Megan)
It took me a little while to figure out why I didn't enjoy this novel as much as I did the others in the series.

It was sort of eating away at me and I actually sat and thought about it before writing this review. I came to the conclusion that it's because it seems like everything that's been happening with Harper so far comes to a grinding halt in this novel.

In book five of the series, Harper was literally in the fight of her life. She had to track down vampire overlord, Edward Kammerling in L
Kathy Davie
Jan 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Sixth in the Greywalker urban fantasy series revolving around Harper Blaine a private investigator for Others as well as the real world in Seattle.

My Take
I love the combination of magic and science between Harper and Quinton. He has his piezoelectric and wave guides, amplitudes and frequencies, which are mother's milk to Quinton while Harper slides sideways into the Grey.

In this installment, Richardson plays on our fears of the dark, the woods, and water as well as the beasties that hide under o
Ranting Dragon
Aug 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: garrett

As the sixth installment in the Greywalker series by Kat Richardson, Downpour continues the story of Seattle-based P. I. Harper Blaine. Harper is no ordinary private investigator, however. When she died for two minutes earlier in her life, Harper became a Greywalker—a human able to interact with and manipulate the strange plane of energy, magic, and ghosts known as the Grey.

Original and unique
The thing that initially captivated me about this series is the
Olga Godim
Jan 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
This was a solid paranormal mystery, a part of a series. I didn’t read the other books of the series but I didn’t miss much, as each new book explores a new paranormal conundrum. The protagonist of the series Harper is a PI – in a normal world. But she has a double life. She is a Graywalker too. Her second job is a sort of a border guard between the normal world and the Gray – the paranormal plane which coexists with our own. When something untoward happens in the Gray – demons, ghosts, or other ...more
Suz
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy, audio
I must have enjoyed it more than I realized because I finished it and jumped right into the next and finished it before it occurred to me to update Goodreads. :)
Renae
While reading Downpour I had something of a bookish epiphany. It was a pretty cool moment and really made me understand myself more as a reader. See, I’m a big fan of the Greywalker series in the theoretical, but I find that in reality, I often struggle with the books. But I keep coming back to the series, even though I know that it’s never going to be an all-time favorite, because I love Kat Richardson’s ideas. And I realized that the reason I’ve been having this constant back-and-forth is real ...more
Sheila
After dying, again, Harper Blaine’s skills in the Grey have changed, and author Kat Richardson does a great job of restarting this exciting mystery series after the climactic events of the previous book. Even the image on the cover looks older—a wiser, darker, oddly stronger Greywalker learning the ropes of her altered life.

References to events in the past book reminded me it was a while since I last read it. But the story flows quickly and convincingly, so readers new to the series could easily
Stephen
Apr 12, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Although I enjoyed the book, this was my least favourite in the Greywalker series. Some of the characters seemed to be simply thrown in for good measure, some of the more potentially interesting characters were not developed and certain parts of the plot were a little thin.

Kat writes in her author's note at the end of the book:

"I leaned heavily on Dashiel Hammett’s book Red Harvest for the basic plot structure—which he stole from previous authors, so I figured he couldn’t complain, not least of
Vickie
I love this series and especially this addition. Not only seeing Harper grow in her powers and her relationship with Quinton, but to learn about new-to-me myths and legends. Kat researches wonderfully to present a well-told tale to the reader.
I could feel the atmosphere of the rain that was intrinsic to the story, the exhaustion of battles, just wonderful.
Harper is still finding her way and each time, when it should be getting simpler, it becomes more difficult. She pushes on, she has a duty.
Chana
It was non-stop action, but it was also tedious. The details of colors and energy just got to be too much. If someone tried to describe a week long light show, well that would get tedious.
An investigator from Seattle goes to the Olympic Peninsula to interview a potential witness. He becomes a secondary concern pretty quickly as our investigator is approached by a burning ghost who tells her he has been murdered. Soon she is up to her elbows in ghosts, zombies and mages. Don't mess with her, she
Amy
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am in PAIN for this rating.
Shelley
*Rating* C
*Genre* Urban Fantasy

*Review*

Downpour is the sixth release in the Greywalker series featuring Harper Blaine, a Seattle P.I. who is known as a Greywalker. A Greywalker is a person who is able to tread the thin line between the living world and the paranormal realm. Harper became a Greywalker after she was dead for two minutes following a brutal attack on her. (See Book # 1 for more information.)

It is now nine months since the aftermath of Labyrinth and Harper is slowly getting back work
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Is this the end for me in this series? I think so. Harper is dragged into the Grey again. This time, it's just f-ed up Chinese magic stuff. I actually understood some of it without research because I am Chinese.

In this latest installment, Harper is still with Owen. This is good because I like him. Harper is following up on a lead for a witness and ends up opening a huge can of worms. She finds a town where the ley lines are unbalanced. Figuring out how this is all going wrong and how she can fix
Caramelia
Jenna
Aug 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Vickie, Anyone who loves a mystery.
I really enjoyed Kat Richardson’s Downpour. The new cast of characters were enjoyable and the plot was engaging. Chinese demons and a collection of greedy magic users fuels the mystery of who done it and how to fix it. I always enjoy when Chaos gets to play the role of side kick and I wasn’t disappointed with her time in Downpour. It’s been quite a few years since I’ve been to the Olympic Peninsula and having the books set there was a fun way to go back for a visit.
Deanne
Jul 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this installment of the greywalker series, set outside of Seattle, Harper is working on gathering information.
Driving down a road she comes across the scene of an accident, but it's a ghost scene. As a result Harper is led into solving a mystery, not just the murder but what is going on at Crescent lake.
April
Jul 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely and convoluted mystery. One of the things I like about this series is that the main character relies mostly on her wits - and the help of others - to fix/solve things. Her abilities as a Greywalker aid her but are never the actual answer to anything. She uses her BRAIN. I wish I knew that trick.
orannia
Jul 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Three and three-quarter stars. Another good book in the series. I am now used to the slow pacing and the complex magical explanations (which I alwaysget hoplessly lost in), with all the speed occurring in the last quarter of the book, but it does mean it's a series I need to read slowly.
Loryn Kelley
Downpour is the sixth book for the Greywalker Series. Like the others, I enjoyed it. It reminded me of the second book, Poltergeist. At times, Downpour was a bit hard to follow. The storyline bounced, not making much sense. I had to reread a few paragraphs to grasp what the author was trying to portray. Honestly, despite enjoying most of it, this was one of my least favorite books of the series.

There were little things that I didn't care for. First, the beginning of the story was bland. I expec
Ben Truong
Downpour is the sixth book in the Greywalker series written by Kat Richardson and centered on Harper Blaine, a private investigator, who inadvertently became a Greywalker, a person who can see and walk among the supernatural, when she died for two minutes.

At the start of the novel, Harper Blaine is once again recovering from another brush with death – she got shot in the head in the previous installment. It isn’t the first time she's died and she fears it might not be the last. However, each dea
Kelly
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A stand-alone entry in the series--while knowledge of the history of the main characters is helpful, it is not part of the overall series arc.

Potential spoilers ahead!

Harper is checking on a potential witness for a lawyer when she sees the ghostly images of a car accident--the man who died in said wreck tells her he was murdered. So she starts looking into it, and there is a lot more going on that just a simple murder. The neighborhood lake is a power nexus, but something has upset the balance,
Braden
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is this lady named Harper Blaine and she is a Private investigator. She is also a grey walker and there is this creature called the guardian beast and the beast makes Harper Blaine do errands for him.
This mission for the beast is the lake called the Blood lake and there are people that are Chinese and they have powers. The people that have powers are controlling the lake. There is this one person who controls the lake and she hires Harper to grab all the power for her.

I put five stars on
L.A.L.
This is tough review for me. Overall, I’ve enjoyed the series, but this one fell a bit flat for me. I skimmed several chapters & pushed through just to finish it. A big story arc ended in the previous book, and so this one seemed a bit adrift, as if not knowing where to go after the end of that arc. Part of me thinks this series might have been better off ending with book 5. But here we are, book 6 and there are 3 more after this one. I will read book 7 and hopefully the series will find itself ...more
Michelle Rogalski
I'm bummed. I absolutely love this series. After an action packed and lose end tying novel like Labyrinth, I was pumped to read this one. It was SOOOOO BOOOORING. The details and the research put into the novel is superb and in typical Richardson fashion. However. You could tell this book was merely a filler and would have been more suited to be earlier in the series than the 6th book. Ploughed through it so I could get to the next one, but it took me forever.
Leonard
I don't read or listen to science fiction very much, and this book, although well imagined and skillfully written, required some concentration for me to stay tuned in to what was going on. I couldn't quite picture all the creatures or beings described but that is probably because of my underdeveloped sic-fi imagination, not the author's fault. If you're a ski-fi fan this might be one you don't want to miss.
Livey
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don’t really understand why Harper is weakened but her ferret stays sensitive. Quinton obviously cares for Harper deeply but was “ghost” through most of this tale. I get Harper is a PI and he is a genius on the lam and am glad they get to collaborate but it seems like danger will always surround Harper. The Michael/Will situation was sad; and police no matter what jurisdiction don’t like my favorite PI.
Alison (Lady Coffin) S
Harper is such a great MC, I also feel like this series is so different from so many other paranormal series I have read.
I took a few years between reading the previous book for the first time and re-reading it before this one and still have a very positive reaction to this series and MC. The ghosts and the "grey" just feel very different and original to me.
Kathy
Oct 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kathy-s-shelf
I was on vacation when I read this, so I don't think my rating is reliable. I was with my family, so did not immerse myself in the book as much as I would've at home. I still like the characters, so I will read the next in the series.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Mean Streets
  • Kitty and the Midnight Hour (Kitty Norville #1)
  • The Dragon Conspiracy (SPI Files, #2)
  • The Brimstone Deception (SPI Files, #3)
  • The Ghoul Vendetta (SPI Files, #4)
  • The Myth Manifestation (SPI Files, #5)
  • Better than Hex (Spellbound #5)
  • Lucky Charm (Spellbound #4)
  • Cursed Moon (Prospero's War, #2)
  • Deadly Spells (Prospero's War, #3)
  • Midnight Thief (Midnight Thief, #1)
  • Smoke Bitten (Mercy Thompson, #12)
  • Imaginary Numbers (InCryptid, #9)
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
  • Turning Darkness Into Light
  • Doom and Broom (Spellbound #2)
  • Summon the Keeper (Keeper Chronicles #1)
  • The Rising (Badlands, #2)
Bestselling author of the Greywalker paranormal detective novels. Former theater brat, singer, dancer, gemology and jewelry course-writer, liveaboard boater, and editor. Currently lives in the wilds of far-western Washington with her husband and dogs.

Greywalker (9 books)
  • Greywalker (Greywalker, #1)
  • Poltergeist (Greywalker, #2)
  • Underground (Greywalker, #3)
  • Vanished (Greywalker, #4)
  • Labyrinth (Greywalker, #5)
  • Seawitch (Greywalker, #7)
  • Possession (Greywalker, #8)
  • Revenant (Greywalker, #9)

News & Interviews