Jump to ratings and reviews

96 Hours

Erica Ryan is flying home from London after a disastrous business trip. Free spirit Abby Hayes is flying into New York City to visit her mother before jetting off again. Both end up in Gander, Canada, when their flight is diverted because of 9/11. For ninety-six hours they share a rollercoaster of emotions and find themselves drawn to one another. Will their nascent connection survive everyday life when they return home?

272 pages, Paperback

First published November 22, 2011

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Georgia Beers

42 books1,201 followers
Lambda and Golden Crown Literary Award-winning author Georgia Beers lives in Rochester, New York. She has been writing for as long as she can remember, and published her first lesbian novel in 2000.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
89 (4%)
1 star
22 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 144 reviews
Profile Image for Guerunche.
437 reviews40 followers
April 3, 2022
I love this book so much! Published in 2011, it's set in Gander (Newfoundland) Canada, where hundreds of planes bound for the United States were diverted during the events of 9/11. If you're going to write a romance around this subject, it's the perfect way to do it.
This isn't about the attack itself, but the effects on travelers trying to enter the U.S. by plane. Even more importantly, it's about the incredible selflessness and generosity of people in a time of crisis. While fictional, this book is based on fact. The people of Gander welcomed thousands of stranded travelers to their tiny community for 96 hours until American airspace reopened. The people of Gander fed and housed them, providing the basic necessities weary travelers would need until they could safely leave - even down to filling prescriptions for free for those who needed medication. Because some of the large shelters erected didn't have more than cots, restrooms and basic facilities to feed people, some families even offered to take some of the "Plane People" - who were complete strangers - into their homes so they could shower, sleep on real beds and eat home cooked meals.
For those that have not yet experienced this book, this feels like a great time for it. It reminds us that there are wonderful, selfless, kind people in the world who do things out of the goodness of their hearts. It's comforting now with all the cruelty, meanness and heartlessness we have been witnessing in the last several years. Over four days, these citizens of Gander made such a profound impact on the lives of those travelers that they developed deep and lasting relationships.
I love how Beers wove the romance into the story. Two women bound for New York City, Erica and Abby, couldn't be more different. Erica is a career-oriented scientist whose primary focus is work. Abby is more of a free spirit, traveling after quitting a job she didn't enjoy after college. She loves people and isn't looking to settle anywhere, with anyone. She wants to enjoy adventure in her foreseeable future. But what they experience when they get to Gander changes them and makes them reevaluate what they want most.
While I listened to the audiobook sample, I preferred to revisit this book in print because I didn't feel like the narrator captured the youth and vitality of Abby.
This is one of my favorite books by Beers, because it's completely unique to anything else she's ever done. I'm so happy she was inspired by the story to write about it and loved how she wove Erica and Abby's story into it.
To learn more about this story, if anyone has the chance to see the Broadway (or touring) production of "Come From Away" it's spectacularly moving.
Profile Image for JulesGP.
404 reviews95 followers
November 5, 2022
I ruined two nights worth of sleep staying up to finish 96 Hours. I felt compelled the same way I felt 20+ years ago when I could not break away from news reports on tv. At the time, I remember staying on the phone with loved ones into the wee hours, needing to connect with other people in any way possible.

When 9/11 happened, American airspace was closed temporarily. The planes in the air had to land at the nearest airport and in the case of 96 Hours, the NYC bound flight was rerouted to Gander, Newfoundland which is where 38 planes landed in real life. The author wrote the account of two fictional women, Erica and Abby, who could have been on one of those planes.

I was oftentimes a mess reading this book because of memories of then and sometimes because of comparisons to people’s behavior during Covid present day. Both women are in their mid 30’s, single and focused on themselves until that Tuesday morning. Then everything changed. The story is a warmhearted embrace of the people of Gander who went above and beyond to help 7,000 strangers feel safe and comforted so far from home. While the reality of the tragedy was never far from minds, the Plane People bonded with each other and their hosts in the loving way that happens when crises hit and people only have each other to keep them from drowning. I thought the author did an amazing job recreating the small but meaningful ways that people interact during difficult times. The connection between Abby and Erica is humorous, passionate, and tender. How the book ended seemed spot on, rather than closing in finality, there seemed to be a promise for a tomorrow.
Profile Image for isa Simonet.
336 reviews10 followers
February 13, 2018
I am going to be very fast and especially very clear: with the books of Beers I wouldn’t bother to make a review of each of her books. You can go there with your eyes closed, everything is good, her writing, her stories , her characters, everything. Go ahead, read Georgia Beers without hesitation !!
Profile Image for Julia.
75 reviews98 followers
December 9, 2016
I don't really have a lot to say about this book other than that I enjoyed it a lot. It was my first by Georgia Beers, and I regret taking so long to finally read anything by her even though I'm hearing about her books all the time.

Based on the synopsis and a couple of reviews, I thought this was going to be a much darker story. Rather, it was about how such a tragic event could have positive consequences in the lives of this group of people, as it made them realize things and appreciate life and sort out their priorities. They were changed after being shown such generosity by the people of Gander in the face of absolute chaos, and I appreciate stories like this.

The supporting characters were awesome — Corinne and Tim were angels, and Brian and Michael's bond with Abby and Erica was so sweet, I was devastated when .
336 reviews6 followers
February 6, 2012
I had the pleasure of meeting Georgia Beers in PTown during women’s week. She was promoting 96 Hours. As a good rule of thumb I will read anything that she puts out because I like her as an author. However, and this is a big “however” I really couldn’t foresee that I would read this one. In fact, I told her that there was really no way that I would be able to read it. Using 9/11 as a backdrop for a story is pretty brave, but I know that I personally still get incredibly emotional even discussing 9/11 so I couldn’t imagine putting myself in a situation where I would willingly read a story that revolves around those events. Thus, the avoidance began. Except it keeps popping up in my recommended to read lists and finally someone I know on Goodreads wrote a review that they liked it. So, I decided to suck it up and be brave and read it.

I read the book yesterday and yes there were several spots that made me cry; the brief recounts of the planes striking the towers and the aftermath. Thank God I was smart enough to read it when I was not suffering from PMS or I might have shorted out my Kindle. Having said that, I think Georgia Beers handled the book in a way that lets the reader understand the events that throws Erica and Abby together without overwhelming them. The best description I can say is that she handled it sensitively while letting the characters work through the tragedy and make connections to each other and the people around them.

I’m glad that I read the book. I liked how Georgia Beers handled the characters and how they were changed by the events. It felt real and relatable because I don’t know anyone who was not changed by those events in large and small ways. Would I recommend other people read it, absolutely, with a small caveat: if you were in or near NYC on 9/11 maybe read it with a box of tissue, a glass of wine, and when you are not PMSing.
Profile Image for Lex Kent.
1,682 reviews8,531 followers
April 28, 2016
I didn't really want to read this book, so maybe my review is a bit skewed for personal reasons. I still can't watch any movies about 911, heck it still hurts to look at The NYC skyline when I drive by it a few times a year, even with the new Freedom Tower. I was hoping this book, taking place in Canada, would be enough for me to get through it, and it was, but it was still painful. It took me 3 days to get through this book, when normally I can read up to 3 books in a day. I just found my self putting it down, down, down. And I think because of that, I just didn't get into the flow of the story.
I always enjoy Georgia Beers writing and I liked one of the main characters Erica. I also never gave a thought to what happened to all the people when US airspace was closed, so the setting was interesting. But, I just could not connect to this book. I think the lesson was for me personally, that even after 15 years, I still don't want to revisit that horrifying day.
Profile Image for Pam Holzner.
639 reviews40 followers
August 23, 2019
It was a brave choice to try to write a romance around 9/11. One the one hand it was weird to read about people going through the shock all over again (it has been almost 18 years), but at times it was tedious. So in the end, I am not sure that the 9/11 part would be something one would ever want to revisit.

But it did work as a frame for setting up one of those "strangers who irritate one another" fall in love etc.

And I enjoyed the ending. Some reviewers thought everything was resolved too quickly, but hey it's a romance.

I was not crazy about the narrator.
Profile Image for Jenna.
110 reviews90 followers
February 4, 2016
Some romances are sweeping, expansive epics that follow love through all of its many peaks and valleys over a course of years. And some romances are about powerful moments, intense spikes, moments of clarity. 96 Hours falls firmly into that second category. Although it does, in fact, cover a period of nine months, Georgia Beers' story spends the vast majority of its time during the titular hours following the attack on the Twin Towers, and it does everything it can to relate what that would've been like for a quartet of travelers who shared that time together.

I was ten years old when the attack happened. To me, at the time, it was an abstract, an external event that happened to other people in another place. It wasn't until 2011, when a couple of the news networks reran their coverage of the day, that I really felt it like a blow to the chest. This novel makes a fair effort at attempting to convey that feeling while, at the same time, framing it as a love story. No easy task. For me, the romance worked. The way it came about felt organic; it formed out of horror, displacement, and desolation, and it came to a place of need for connection and a desire to feel alive.

I will say that the trauma of the day did seem a bit minimized-- not in how the characters felt or reacted, but in how that was conveyed. As I mentioned above, the way the reactions were described felt authentic, but I did feel as if I were watching the reactions rather than experiencing them myself. I'm not sure how the author could've done things differently, and I'm not even sure she needed to. She could have turned up the volume of the angst, but at what point does that start to make her use of a tragedy feel emotionally manipulative? No, I'm content with her handling of it, even if I was once again returned to that feeling I had when I was ten, back to watching an abstract, external event that happened to other people in another place. I liked these people. I empathized with them. It was enough.

4.5 stars, rounded up to 5.
Profile Image for Rahma.
266 reviews77 followers
July 7, 2019
Perhaps the only thing this book got right was how nice Canadians mostly are.
This would have been a four-star read, but for two things that really bothered me.

The first is that there is a racist guy. Now, it’s okay to have unlikable characters, I know. But hear this: nobody calls him out on his racism at any point in the book, and by the end, he’s supposed to be this character we really grow to like without his racism ever being addressed. Well, sorry, but NO.

The second problem is sort of personal. You see, I don’t mind reading books with non-religious characters, etc, but to have that character not believe in God because they are a scientist? I hated that. That’s really offensive to all those religious people who work in any science fields.

The reason it was only going to be a four-star read in the first place was the lacklustre writing; I was not able to imagine the characters’ surroundings at all.

Overall, I suppose it could be an okay read if you managed to overlook those faults.
Profile Image for Laurie Salzler.
Author 7 books72 followers
November 16, 2011
The moment I picked up 96 Hours, I knew it was going to be different. The cover is textured, and oddly, soothing (I found myself rubbing my fingers across it everytime I held the book in my hands). The twin towers and the cityscape of NYC is unmistakable. The red sky and the blackened buildings transfixed my eyes, and pulled me back to that date: September 11, 2001...9/11.

All that before I even opened the book. Between the pages, I discovered that Georgia had created a masterful piece (not surpisingly). She wheeled me back in time...and who doesn't remember where they were or what they were doing when the first plane hit? I sat with her characters in front of the television, I joined them in their disbelief. I felt the grief and the helplessness. Georgia made me laugh and she made me cry. I experienced, as I did back then...the change. Her riveting characters couldn't explain it. I'm not going to even try.

This book is a keeper, to reread, and also to hold as a memorial for the people that lost their lives on that fateful day.

Thank you Georgia, and well done.

Profile Image for Marie.
104 reviews11 followers
May 19, 2021
4.25 stars. I've been wanting to read this for a while and I'm really glad I decided for this to be next on my listening list.
Romy Nordlinger did a good job as narrator.

The circumstances as such are desastruous, as this takes place in the aftermath of 911 where a number of Americans are stranded in Gander, Canada. But the book handles this with sensitivity and focuses on the people who help each other.

That's how Erica Ryan and Abby Hayes meet. It's not exactly love at first sight and they're polar opposites really. Erica is a scientist and comes across as very uptight und closed off. Abby, on the other hand, quit her job because it didn't make her happy, and is a real people's person.

They're both invited with two other stranded persons, Michael from Britain and recently split up Brian, to spend their days at the MacDougals, a warm couple who has been a great help for all stranded persons. The foursome is getting along well, despite Erica and Abby sharing a room with only one bed. A night of tequila is a lot of fun, and Erica slowly warms up to Abby and vice versa.

All in all, this is a romance with two mains who fit together well, some steamy scenes and a lot of fabulous secondary characters. The focus is clearly on the people and the changes people go through in difficult situations. I think it was really well done and I liked it very much.

That said, I realize it can be difficult for some people to read. When I had just begun listening, the news about the shooting in Vienna hit us (my gf went to university in Vienna, so she has a lot of connections there). Once again I was reminded, how eerily up to date this book is and probably will be for the foreseeable future.
Profile Image for Dawn.
139 reviews4 followers
September 15, 2019
I happen to have been reading this on 9/11 this year. All I can say is wow!
Profile Image for Diana P. .
139 reviews
September 1, 2016
A well-written book about a tragical event and a romance that blossoms in the midst of it.

I think the author did a very good job at approaching a difficult situation that had a huge impact not only where it took place but also in the whole world. The narration was very respectful and captured the emotions that went thru many people who were close to experience the tragedy first hand. The fear, the anguish, the pain and anger that it generated was well described and the author took the time to portray all those emotions in a very concise way.

In regard to the romance, I have to say that it was a bit downplayed due to the extensive and detailed emphasis the author did on the 9/11, which was quite disappointing and I wish she had focused more on the development of the relationship, especially because the few moments she did, it was really interesting.

The chemistry between the main characters was really good, I loved both characters even though their flaws and fears sometimes affected the development of their relationship. I think both characters were portrayed very nicely but I feel there was a lack of romance and interaction between them that left me waiting for much more, however, the few moments they shared were intense, hot and very sweet.

About the love/sex scenes in my opinion they were really nice and hot, which helped a lot to make their love more real and captivating.

Overall, this was a nice book, not a page turner in my opinion but I think it's a story that deserves to be read.

My rating is 3.7 rounded up to 4.

Profile Image for Jae Jae.
Author 99 books2,613 followers
August 1, 2012
Serious, distanced businesswoman Erica Ryan and friendly globetrotter Abby Hayes have nothing in common—except for being gay. They both get stranded in Newfoundland when American airspace is closed due to 9/11. The kindness of strangers changes them forever.

Georgia Beer's best book so far. It's entertaining and a quick read.
The end seemed a bit hurried, things coming together a bit too easily. And the relationship with the minor characters could have been developed more deeply so that the deep bond that develops between the Plane People is more believable.
In some places, she's head-hopping, but it was still within acceptable limits.
All in all, it's a great book.

Profile Image for Alealea.
641 reviews
March 13, 2019
This is my first Georgia Beers books and definitely my favorite (I have gulped 4 or 5 since)

I usually feel queazy about mixing fiction and true events.
It seems so disrespectful to me when it's done badly, like the writer used it as a prop instead of doing it right.

It's not the case in this book. The romance is in the background and the 9/11 in the foreground.
It's shown in a way and in a light I've never seen before. And it's so marvelously well-done that I'm just in awe.
Profile Image for Kat.
477 reviews166 followers
May 5, 2015
96 Hours is a book that had so many positive points for me, but also quite a few negatives. What I had hoped for was a book that was emotional, had a unique plot line and characters I cared about. What I got was a complete mixture, and I have to admit that I was disappointed, particularly by the last third of the book.

Erica is hard-working, ambitious and emotionally scarred, and Abby is a nomadic hippy who floats where the wind takes her and charms everyone she meets. The setting of their story however, stranded in Canada when their flight is diverted on 9/11, forces them to take stock of their own lives and to become more self-aware of their own deficiencies as people.

It was the bigger plot that I particularly liked about 96 Hours. Whilst the rest of the world was glued to their TV screens watching the horror unfold in New York, travellers like Abby, Erica, Brian and Michael find themselves stranded far from home, unable to help and not knowing when they will be able to make it back to America. They encounter some incredibly, generous, selfless people in the town of Gander, and it was the way that these secondary characters cared for hundreds of stranded strangers that really sucked me in. But it isn’t actually all that surprising that in the middle of the most prolific terrorist attack in modern history, that the good people of Gander band together to take care of people – and the overwhelming message of 96 Hours is that despite the possibility of evil being imparted by one group of humans, the vast majority of people are essentially good, caring individuals.

96 Hours is told through alternating perspectives between Erica and Abby, which was fine, but there was also a couple of random perspectives from one of the guys they were stranded with, and possibly from someone else (my memory is like a sieve I swear) which just felt clunky and unnecessary.

However, what really lost me, and in the end irritated the hell out of me, was the relationship aspect of the storyline. What Erica and Abby have initially is an attraction based on looks – which is completely fine, but it never felt to me like it surpassed the physical attraction. I wasn’t sold on WHY they were attracted to each other’s personalities – Erica was like a flat, white wall, Abby the annoyingly naïve girl until they had each had a (seemingly simultaneous) epiphany and instantly switch places. Beers does try to explain why this happens, and sells it in a way, but not completely.

The ending of 96 Hours didn’t work for me at all – it was all too….easy, and everything wrapped up too neatly. This is completely my personal preference and opinion however, and I can see that for some readers it really could work. Just not my cup of tea.

96 Hours does have an interesting plot, and one I haven’t run across before, however the characters simply didn’t work for me – I wanted them to, but something was lost along the way and I just couldn’t connect.
Profile Image for Ty.
264 reviews18 followers
December 28, 2017
Phew. Okay. Let me first start by saying that I generally instinctively avoid stories having to do with 9/11. I'm just not ready, and I don't know if I ever will be. Last winter, my sister-in-law and nephews came to visit me in NYC, and one of the things we did was go to the 9/11 Memorial and the museum. I'd been to the Memorial before, but not the museum. I had a really hard time with it, and at the end of our time, I mentioned to my sister-in-law that I wasn't sure how I felt about a museum being made about an event. It felt somehow cold and impersonal to me. My sister-in-law mentioned that she imagined some people felt the same way about the first Holocaust museums. It was that comment that made me realize why we definitely did need the museum. It's not for us, those who remember the events of that day. It's for the future. And the future is now, as the juniors in high school that I teach are already of the age where they were too young to remember that day. We have students in 8th grade who weren't even born yet.

All that being said, I was still hesitant to read this book, but I have come to enjoy this author. I was curious how she would write this because her books are typically so fluffy and carefree. The characters aren't without their problems, but she definitely writes romance novels. I think Beers did a really great job with this. She struck the right tone of taking the event seriously and showing real growth in her characters because of 9/11, while also staying true to her brand of romantic story telling. So despite all my hesitation, I'm glad I read this.
Profile Image for Manon.
73 reviews6 followers
June 22, 2020
This was not an easy topic to approach, I've never before read a book that mentions 9/11 but this one was really well done and respectfully so in my opinion.

When it happened I was about 4 years old so I don't really have memories of it. I wasn't aware of how the citizens of Gander helped all these people that were so far from home and shocked at what just happened in New York.

I don't feel like the romance is that big a part of the story and it's okay as with what just happened at that moment people weren't searching for love but were trying to get over the shock and realize the immensity of it all. We don't really have two main characters but several even if we focus a little more on Abby and Erica we still have the pov of Michael and Brian and even Corinne.

I loved everything about this book and the way that an extrovert person can be closed off emotionally but an introvert one can be easily open to a relationship. It was a change from what I've previously read. We have to remind ourselves that easy going and optimistic people are before all people with emotions just as intense as anybody else and can feel anger and sadness too. Even if the story happened over just a couple of days it didn't felt rushed and believable as it is based on true events, sadly.

5* rating for this one for sure, I've tried the audio version but I didn't really like the way it was narrated and enjoyed the ebook more than I thought I would in the beginning.
Profile Image for Krisz.
121 reviews4 followers
November 9, 2012
Since when do lesbians smell like baby powder...all the time???

A light & fluffy romance with predictability.
Are there any lesbian novels with depth and real story lines out there?
Profile Image for Katie Sorensen.
190 reviews
August 29, 2019
Ok, we lesbians deserve amazing, incredible, deep, well-written love stories, and this was just a "good" one, but there's a lack of lesbian fiction in general. So I loved this. I was totally hooked by the setting and I grew to love the characters.

While I'm waiting for the Outlander of lesbianism to exisit, I'll continue enjoying books like this.
Profile Image for Bett.
Author 3 books25 followers
November 19, 2011
9/11. That's how we all refer to it now, nine eleven. As author Georgia Beers mentions in her stirring novel set during the aftermath of that terrible time, 9/11 is our JFK marker, that moment in our lives when we all remember where we were when the towers were hit. Many books have been written about that time, both fiction and factual. Beers chose a unique concept, examining the effects of the tragic attack on those who were in the air at the time, their flights prevented from landing on American soil.

At first reading, this is a romance novel set in an unusual circumstance of recent history. But read closer, and it is more than the gradual attraction between the main characters Erica and Abby. Like most airline passengers, they were strangers on a plane, tired, anxious to get home, and when thrown together when their flight was diverted to Newfoundland, they share almost nothing in common except the feelings of all the passengers stranded so far from home, anxiety, worry about loved ones, and as their delay stretches longer, boredom, exhaustion, and more worry as the news reaches them of the enormity of the losses. As Erica loses some of her aloofness and becomes more open because of the situation, Abby, more upbeat and positive, grows more disillusioned about basic human decency. They grow loser as the events change their attitudes, until Erica is the one offering solace and comfort when Abby's upbeat approach fails her.

But Beers puts the reader back in that time, those horrible days after the attack, so once again, we relive being overwhelmed by the unending news, we feel again the same shock. The passengers who were diverted also felt isolated, unable to reach home, to find any sense of a return to normalcy or safety and comfort. Along with a love story, the romance that grows between Abbyand Erica, we realize another kind of love, another relationship is born in this story, as almost everyone finds that the only way to feel better after the tragedy is to draw closer together, to reach out, to try in someway to help. That is the deeper story here, the one we need to hear again and remember, about how we grew closer as a nation, how we sought out families and friends, how we pulled together. The remarkable generosity of the people of Gander inspired Erica and Abby to change, and the exceptional acts of courage and selflessness we witnessed during that time, those are things worth remembering. Those are things worth reliving, when we can, the idea that we are a community tied together by both good things, by a need to help, by the sight of responders rushing in, and by bad acts that cause us to test what we are made of.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It did my heart good to recall again that in bad times, people can do remarkable things. In wrapping some serious stuff inside this romance novel, Beers accomplished a good thing, allowing us to revisit some of the positives that came out of that time we will never forget.
Profile Image for Les Rêveur.
461 reviews122 followers
October 8, 2016
After a reread this weekend I had to write a review for 96 Hours… still one of my favorites from Georgia Beers.

My Synopsis

In the wake of the devastation of 9/11 all flights into America are diverted to other countries until the US was safe and secure. The people of Gander, Canada opened their hearts and their homes to, as they called them, ‘The Plane People.

In the midst of the most horrific circumstance a love story plays out. It shows that in the worst of situations sometimes love is the only way to survive but once the chaos stops can you really go back to normal?

My Review

I have read and reread every one of Georgia Beers Novels and she never disappoints. I laugh, I cry (a lot) and I was on the edge of my seat from start to finish with this one. I was hooked by time I had finished chapter one.

The friendship come relationship between Erica and Abby was so endearing. It was obvious that it was the situation that changed them and blended them into the perfect match.

Beers has a way of dragging you into her world and with this story I was a little reluctant with the subject matter however by the end I was completely absorbed and wanted to comfort the protagonist and their friends.

I love the idea of in the worst of situations that people can still find love.

The loving community feel in Gander really shone through and book put my faith back in humanity. After finishing 96 hours I did some research on Gander and the correlation with 9/11. I was humbled to read that Gander was not a fictional place and the community in this town was just as wonderful as Beers describes.

Great Novel.
4.5 Stars.

Profile Image for Kearsie.
22 reviews
January 7, 2019
I was bored to tears for the majority of this novel, I’m not going to lie. I feel like this would’ve made a much better short story rather than a full length novel - the side characters were especially uninteresting and I found myself skimming sections of the novel that didn’t pertain to Abby and Erica specifically. Even Abby and Erica felt overwhelming flat. I guess I was hoping for something a bit darker and more intimate, considering the premise, but instead this felt exceedingly generic and predictable. None of the grief ever felt personal or real.

So why did I even finish this book? Well, admittedly, I’m a sucker for lesbian romance even at its most mundane. I did like that both girls were established lesbians and neither was suffering from the “but I was straight until I met you!” trope. I also did enjoy the love making scenes - tasteful, intimate, and steamy without skimping. Reminded me of a good fanfic.
Profile Image for Tara.
771 reviews310 followers
May 30, 2016
I listened to the audio book for this and it was definitely the way to go. I didn't like Erica's character at all, but the narration was so good that I kept going, and I'm glad I did because I loved Erica's arc. I highly recommend picking up the audio version, although if you prefer to read printed versions, stick with it if you also find yourself not liking Erica. It's well worth it.

Full review here: http://www.thelesbianreview.com/96-ho...
Profile Image for Bib.
282 reviews
April 5, 2014
Great book, I would teared up in every 2 pages. The compassion and generosity that the locals showed to plane people are extraordinarily touching. It's very insightful of the author to show this side of the 911 aftermath and how people coped with it. I usually hate reading about war and disasters, but I glad I read this book.
Profile Image for Tere.
237 reviews35 followers
January 21, 2019
This book was mostly a miss for me. It was available through audible with the romance package at no additional cost so why not.
Well the narrator was a miss for me and I think that set the tone for the book. The story was slow to develop and I just did not get the connection between the characters. The last part of the book was good and heartwarming (book based around the 9/11 events).
5 reviews
January 28, 2014
I found this book to be rather contrived and sometimes boring. A subject as profound and significant as 9/11 deserves a story with more depth than this one provided.

Also, like many of the author's other works, it contained a good number of grammatical, punctuation, and word-usage errors.
Profile Image for Alicia.
360 reviews11 followers
January 12, 2016
I've only read one other book by Beers and enjoyed this one just the same. Abby and Erica as well as the rest of the characters were just as good. Since the subject was something I could relate to with having family members working in NYC I cried along and rejoiced just the same.
Profile Image for Milkiways.
164 reviews
September 2, 2015
Feeling really happy for reading a good romance after reading so many other books! I loved Erica and her Pollyanna's inner thoughts :)
Profile Image for Violet.
557 reviews54 followers
October 11, 2016
Very sweet tale. Absolutely awesome secondary characters, giving everyone faith in humanity. We might yet have a chance.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 144 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.