Start by marking “The Mystery Of Chimney Rock (Choose Your Own Adventure, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Mystery Of Chimney Rock (Choose Your Own Adventure, #5)

The Mystery Of Chimney Rock

(Choose Your Own Adventure #5)

By making the correct decisions, the reader assists Jane and Michael in determining whether a spooky stone house is really cursed.
Published 1979 by Grey Castle Press

To ask other readers questions about The Mystery Of Chimney Rock, please sign up.
Jennifer I can only speak to the original series and entries which I read. The original series was published from 1979 through the late 90's. The latest entry…moreI can only speak to the original series and entries which I read. The original series was published from 1979 through the late 90's. The latest entry I ever read was #84 "You Are A Monster," published in 1988.

Obviously since they were *written* in the 70's/80's/90's, the attitudes are going to be in line with that time period, not with today's. I do still read my old CYOA books from childhood just for fun and as an adult, living in the world we do, I have yet to run across anything that I consider inappropriate, shocking, or in poor taste. And I do not remember ever being shocked or disgusted over any of the content I read when I was a child.

As far as the new series which began in 2005, I do not know because I have not and will not read them. For what it's worth, it looks like nearly all of the entries in the new series were written by R.A. Montgomery, who authored many entries in the original series; based on that alone, I imagine the new series is probably not too crazy. :)(less)

Mischenko
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is featured on Shabby Sunday @ https://readrantrockandroll.com/2018/...

This particular book in the Choose Your Own Adventure series is very nostalgic for me. I can still remember reading it in my classroom during break when I was in elementary school. These books are so much fun to read and great for reluctant readers too as the stories are quite short and contain illustrations throughout.

In this edition, you (the reader) are on vacation and visiting your cousins for a few days in Con
Jason Koivu
Aug 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Cue the scary music! For this is......The Mystery of Chimney Rock BWAHAHAHAAAAH!!! *cat sound!*

The fifth volume in the Choose Your Own Adventure series gets an extra star from me for some genuinely spooky moments. Yeah sure, it's just a haunted house story about kids snooping where they shouldn't, but if you allow yourself to be drawn into the moment, you'll find that Edward Packard wrote some scenes with a little Hitchcockian aura about them. Nicely atmosphered, indeed!

The drawbacks of The Mys
David Enos
Dec 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
By far the best of the series. The scratchy drawing of doughy-faced, beady-eyed Jarvis the groundskeeper is unforgettable.
Bev
Having been a bit disappointed with Prisoner of the Ant People (CYOA #25). I decide to go back to the book that first introduced me to the series and which was always my favorite: The Mystery of Chimney Rock (#5) by Edward Packard. I wanted to see if it still held up nearly 40 years later (has it really been that long?!). I checked this out of the library and fell in love with the idea of choosing my own fate in the stories I was reading. I wound up buying a copy of my very own just to have ('ca ...more
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, from-my-youth
This is easily my favorite CYOA book of all time. There are a LOT of choices to make and a lot of different endings you can wind up with which makes for fun reading. One thing I do like about this book is that it is truly creepy! My sister and I are full grown adults, in our 30’s, and sometimes I will read this one out loud and let her make the choices as the story goes on and she gets genuinely bothered by some of the scenarios we end up in! I also read this one to an ex and he ended up with a ...more
Licha
May 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childhood-fave
Yes, and I'm not ashamed to say I loved the Choose Your Own Adventure books. This one was my particular favorite. I must have read and re-read this book a million times over. I tried all the possible combinations. I got so good at figuring out how to read all of the combos. Even now when I see one of these CYOA books I get excited. They're a guilty little pleasure.
Joanna
Mar 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Some plot lines fizzle out, while others go on far too long. It's not my favorite in the series, but a worthy addition. I love this series so much (hello, childhood) that I can look past its imperfections.
Annie
Mar 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-minds
of all of those cyoa books, this was the standout to me, i think the deaths, or the bad choices, were particularly gruesome or disturbing. awesome.
Nick Jones
Sep 05, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
This is one of the most consistent Choose Your Own Adventure books I've read; unfortunately, it's so incredibly consistent that the action in every path is nearly identical, making for a dull read.
Cathy
Sep 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kidcathy
Its was my first choose your own adventure book, and it was the best out of all them that I collected in my opinion.
David Sarkies
Jun 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: gamebook
This one you explore a haunted house
18 June 2012

I didn't particularly like this book probably because it is a horror story and I could never get into horror stories. Okay, that is not entirely true because there are a number of Stephen King books that I did enjoy however his style of writing horror is somewhat different to what I would call a 'slasher flick'. Yes, I know, I am using movie terminology for a book, but it does help in differentiating the two different styles of horror. The first s
Michael
Jan 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Children, horror fans, choose your own adventure fans
Recommended to Michael by: Seth Klein
So far as I recall, I never owned a copy of this book, but I borrowed a friend’s copy and read it several times. It isn’t bad, but it’s not the best of the original “Choose Your Own Adventure” series. The premise is that you explore a haunted house, either alone or with your (female) cousin. The pictures presume that the narrator is white and male, although that isn’t key to the story. On reading it today, I found that there were fewer meaningful choices than other books in the series – a lot of ...more
Swankivy
Jun 11, 2013 rated it liked it
I read this Choose Your Own Adventure book as a kid, and since I didn't particularly appreciate horror, I think I ended up putting it down. I think the "body shock" idea is one of the scarier forms of horror to me, and as a kid it was of course sharper, so the fact that choices could lead to me getting trapped as a cursed mouse in a haunted house or something made me nervous about reading. I'm pretty sure that the images were creepy all around, and it just didn't suit my taste, but I think a wri ...more
Colton
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, gamebooks, 2014
This was the first book I read in this series as a kid and I loved it then. I loved the creepy atmosphere, the haunted house, all of it. There are a huge amount of scenarios to participate in and rooms to visit. The ambiguity of certain characters' actions actually works well. The endings manage to be creepy without being overly gory and that's the magic of this book. The illustrations do a great job of deepening the story and altogether the book just does everything right. A basic but must-have ...more
Josiah
Apr 09, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the flat-out scariest of all the Choose Your Own Adventure books that I have read. I can still feel the palpable sense of fear as Pop read it to me, and I wouldn't even want to put my feet on the floor for fear that something was going to grab them! Edward Packard weaves a story of thick suspense that takes crazy, unexpected turns here and there, and there are often choices to be made within the text that can alter the story so very slightly, but which mean the difference between gettin ...more
Weathervane
Just could not get into this one. The curse was too vague to make any sense, and the woman and cat weren't particularly scary. Too many endings, too many reused paths, not enough colour or flavour.

Packard's prose was fine for the most part, and I'm still a fan of his; but I believe he does better when there are fewer endings and he has time to develop a real story.

Montgomery's style, on the other hand, strikes me as better suited to many endings. His zaniness and unpredictability translates well
Natalie Martinez
Nov 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I must have reread this book a million times as a child. It was my favorite of the Choose your own adventures. It stayed on my shelf long after I got rid of the rest of them.

It had everything for a "scary" kids story. Remember at this time there was no Mr. Stine with his Goosebumps line of stories. We recently received got some of these at our local library. I was sad to see that this one was not among them.
Androo
Jan 13, 2014 rated it liked it
This book was a good nostalgic break for me. I don't think I've read a Choose Your Own Adventure in years. When I came to one of the endings, though, I remembered it as the story had stuck with me for all these years. Not all 36 endings are unique...quite a lot rely on a certain transformation. But I'd still say there are 4-5 unique endings and it encourages kids to re-read.
Garrett Alley
Jun 22, 2010 rated it liked it
Found this book on an old bookshelf at my father's house back east. I threw it in my suitcase on a lark.

When I got home I brought it in to the office to keep on my desk as a kind of conversation piece, but I find my eyes drawn to it constantly. I've opened it up and read a couple quick story arcs. All have had bad endings. I don't recall dying in the books I read as a kid!
Vanellope
I basically feel the same way about this book as Mystery of the Maya. It's really 4-star, but this was one of my two favorite choose-your-own-adventure books as a kid.
Susan
Aug 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This choose your own adventure series was one of the series that got me hooked as a kid. I can still remember the fun of choosing which page to go to and having the story turn out different every time.
Jesse Ames
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
This CYOA is badly written and squarely aimed at seven year olds. The titular mystery isn't intriguing, the plot architecture is sloppy, and path determination is far too random, even for a CYOA. There are good books in the classic CYOA series, but Chimney Rock isn't one of them. Pass.
Joshua Clark
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is hands down my absolute favorite choose your own adventure book! I read and re-read it more times than I can count.
Uğur Atmaca
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
perfect for too many endings
Julie Decker
Jul 07, 2014 rated it liked it
So . . . is the creepy house haunted? Cursed? Dangerous? Well, probably all of those things. You and a companion get to make various decisions and see if you can investigate this place and get to a decent ending without coming to an end yourself.

One great way to creep people out is to do something awful to their bodies. I was really put off by that aspect of this book as a child, and was horrified by the idea of, for instance, getting trapped as an animal. The book was written well enough to mak
Lyndsay-ann
Jun 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: short-stories
I didn't like this one as much as the previous one. The endings all seemed to either be the same or at least very similar to each other. Throughout the whole book there was talk about the 'curse of chimney rock' but there wasn't much info about what the curse was or really anything about it.

Overall, this book was ok, but I got bored with it faily quickly and at points I even forgot I had started reading it, so i thought it best to just stop rather than continue on trying to find new endings.
Nathan Burgoine
May 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read these when I was nine/ten years old, voraciously devouring them and re-reading them over and over. My grade five teacher saw how much I loved them, and brought a "how-to" book to give to me, and I remember writing one of my own. It was probably terrible. Still, these books were one of my gateway books to reading non-stop for most of my childhood.
Marts  (Thinker)
Dec 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Adventure 5 of the 'Choose your own adventure' series, The Mystery of Chimney Rock... in these books the reader gets to be the central character by choosing what path the tale follows through a variety of endings...
Nancy Laney
Choose Your Own Adventure Book 5
Brandon Burrup
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Oh my gosh I can almost remember what it felt like to read these when I was a fourth grader and thinking they were the scariest books in existence. Seemed like no ending was a happy one.

• Space and Beyond (Choose Your Own Adventure, #4)
  • By Balloon to the Sahara (Choose Your Own Adventure, #3)
  • Secret of the Pyramids (Choose Your Own Adventure, #19)
  • Space Patrol (Choose Your Own Adventure, #22)
  • Vampire Express (Choose Your Own Adventure, #31)
  • Mountain Of Mirrors (Endless Quest, #2)
  • The Prisoners of Time (Lone Wolf, #11)
  • The Magic of the Unicorn (Choose Your Own Adventure, #51)
  • Secret of the Ninja (Choose Your Own Adventure, #66)
Edward Packard attended and graduated from both Princeton University and Columbia Law School. He was one of the first authors to explore the idea of gamebooks, in which the reader is inserted as the main character and makes choices about the direction the story will go at designated places in the text.

The first such book that Edward Packard wrote in the Choose Your Own Adventure series was titled

Choose Your Own Adventure (1 - 10 of 185 books)
  • The Cave of Time (Choose Your Own Adventure, #1)
  • Journey Under the Sea (Choose Your Own Adventure, #2)
  • By Balloon to the Sahara (Choose Your Own Adventure, #3)
  • Space and Beyond (Choose Your Own Adventure, #4)
  • Your Code Name Is Jonah (Choose Your Own Adventure #6)
  • The Third Planet from Altair (Choose Your Own Adventure, #7)
  • Deadwood City (Choose Your Own Adventure, #8)
  • Who Killed Harlowe Thrombey? (Choose Your Own Adventure, #9)
  • The Lost Jewels of Nabooti (Choose Your Own Adventure, #10)
  • Mystery of the Maya (Choose Your Own Adventure, #11)