Start by marking “Back-To-School Rules” as Want to Read:
Back-To-School Rules

Back-To-School Rules

3.06  ·  Rating details ·  94 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
School's in session! When it comes to surviving school, Percy's at the head of the class. If you can follow his ten simple rules, making the grade will be a piece of cake (and school will be a lot of fun). But there's more to school than showing up on time and staying awake in class. If you have any doubts, Percy also shows exactly what not to do.

- No spitballs!
- No runn
Published August 1st 2011 by Carolrhoda Books (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Back-To-School Rules, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Back-To-School Rules

Trish
Sep 22, 2011 rated it liked it
2.5 stars/Fiction; Juvenile

Percy might be a fun loving guy, but his back-to-school rules are a major downer for a first day at school. I liked the idea of this book, but the rules were all about 'do not' do this and 'do not' do that.

I liked the colorful illustrations and the way the type was presented. I think as far as text is concerned, presenting them this way makes the best sense. Fun, eye appealing and lighthearted. However, as a girly girl, I am seriously going to fight the whole 'no glitt
Mrs Bond
Jun 29, 2011 rated it it was ok
I love the quirky illustrations -- it looks like a fun school day! But the text, oh the text. Page after page of no, no and no. The rules are negative - don't do this, don't do that. Instead of being endearing or silly, it feels heavy and sad. Not the feeling I want to share with students at the start of school!
Gwnhwyfer
Jun 26, 2011 rated it did not like it
While I understand the logic behind this book (telling kids what isn't appropriate so they're well prepared for the first day of school), I didn't care for the constant "No"s and "Don't"s. And really, could they have chosen a worse name for their protagonist, whose initials boil down to "P.I.G."...?
Donalyn
I liked the whimsical illustrations and humor in this book about school rules, but it bugged me that the rules were a list of don'ts. Most teachers I know prefer to present classroom rules in more positive ways.
John
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: back-to-school
I don't like that Percy Isaac Gifford's rules all contain "DO NOT." I always avoid negative rules. "Don't be late" can be changed to "Arrive on time."

JennE
Jul 14, 2017 rated it did not like it
DON"T read this book on the first day of school. This book is just a list of "don'ts" How about what you can do? If I were to read this to kids on the first day of school, I would be shocked if they came back the next day. For example the first rule is "Do NOT show up late, you will be marked tardy, teachers do not like to wait." Another is "Don't contradict your teacher, you will not win her vote."
All the rules seem to be about staying quiet, still and being perfect in order to please the teach
Carrie
Nov 01, 2017 rated it did not like it
This book is such a Debbie Downer.

< sarcasm>

And by "back-to-school rules," it means pages and pages and pages of rules. Constant nagging of "don't do this" and "don't do that." Way to go, authors! You know how to excite the kids about going into a classroom!

My personal favorite, towards the end of the book, stated: "I think that covers everything. Now you know what NOT to do. Just follow my simple rules, And an A+ waits for you." Thank you, No Child Left Behind! Now I know my A+ is not
Kristin Thomas
Sep 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read3090, books-1-10
Summary: "Back-To-School Rules" is a book about a little boy named Percy Isaac Gifford. When it is time to go back to school, Percy has a list of rules for what not to do in school.

Evaluation: I rated this book a 3. Even though this book is a funny way to introduce rules and procedures in a classroom, I did not care for the "no's" and "don'ts" that were throughout the book.

Teaching Idea: This book could be used in school to teach classroom rules and procedures.
Sara
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Fun premise, but poor meter and forced rhyming. Would have been stronger if written in prose.
Sharon Tyler
Aug 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Back-to-School Rules by Laurie Friedman and illustrated by Teresa Murfin is a picture book ready for release on September 28 2011. Colorful illustrations and rhyming rules of how not to behave at school are the point of Percy's prose as he explains his ten simple rules to avoiding trouble in school. Let me start right away with the issue some might have with Back-to-School Rules. The rules are all told in negatives, all no's and don'ts. Many people are of the school of thought that these types o ...more
Wulfwyn
Aug 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: kids who are going to school, teachers and libraries
I read this book with my 4 year old grandson. He is autistic so he has been attending school for about 2 years. As returning to school is coming up I thought this would be an awesome pick to get ready. I was not disappointed. We loved the book. Percy is off to school and has some rules to share. There are 10 simple rules of what Not to do. Yes they are told from a negative point which may put some people off. I myself prefer to give positive rules of behavior. Not everyone does though. So we all ...more
KP
Apr 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Perfect for the child that is just about to enter school, and just in time for school to start with a release date of September 1, 2011, Back-to-School Rules by Laurie Friedman is an adorable read. While most back-to-school books focus on what to do, this children’s picture book takes the opposite approach and teaches children what not to do. The main character, Percy Isaac Gifford, is more than happy to share his wisdom with your children, which he imparts by giving ten simple things every chil ...more
Mimi
Jul 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: children, netgalley
Percy Isaac Gifford is ready to tell us his rules for going back-to-school. Only his rules tell us what NOT to do in school. Percy gives the reader his ten simple rules for going back to school and assures us that if these rules are followed, the act of going back-to-school will be a success.

Friedman’s delightful book gives children a fun heads-up as to what NOT to do when they are in school. Paired with Murfin’s colorful illustrations, Friedman’s rhythmic prose tells every child the best way to
Maria
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fun illustrations, many rules throughout the books for kids to follow when going to school for the first time or for those returning to school and may need a gentle reminder of what is appropriate behavior at school. This book is appropriate to read out loud to grade school classes, maybe grades K-2nd or possibly 3rd as they might enjoy some of the illustrations and connect to the rules of what is appropriate and what isn't.
Barbara
Aug 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Percy Isaac Gifford is off to school and provides rules of etiquette so that readers will know exactly what to do. In rhyming text, he gives helpful hints about how to act and how not to act such as "No hanging from the ceiling." Teachers might want to share this title with their students on the first day of school as a gentle, amusing reminder of behavioral expectations. It's possible to have fun while also behaving properly, the last page reminds us. I loved the expressions on the teacher in t ...more
Sara Stalder
Jan 27, 2014 rated it liked it
"Back to School Rules" is a how to told from the point of view of Percy Issac Gifford. He's an A+ student and in this how to he's giving you all his best rules and tips to help you be an A+ student too!

I thought this book was super cute. It probably should not be the very first book you read to your students, seeing how it's a whole long list of don't do this, no doing this, don't, no, ... But this could be a great book to start some discussion about class rules and how to behave, and the end i
Andrea Boyd
Jul 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
I think kids would enjoy this book but I just thought it was okay. This is a rhyming book but I often found myself rereading a page trying to get the rhythm down so it sounded correct. I think if you were doing this as a read aloud you would have to read it a couple of times first to figure out the rhythm. The illustrations are cute but do not stand out as being memorable after closing the book. This book goes through all of the things that you should NOT do in school. Kids who feel that there a ...more
Drew
•Brief summary
It time to go back to school and the most important thing to know it not what to do. This book goes into all the rule of school and what you shouldn't do.

•Audience
Younger classroom like k-2nd

•Appeal
Funny way to put boring rules.

•Implementation
I would use this book on the first day of school to help with going over the rules in a more exciting way.

Friedman, L. B., & Murfin, T. (2011). Back-to-school rules. Minneapolis: Carolrhoda Books.
Zara Younus
Reading this book made me so happy, because it includes all the rules the teacher would want to implement in the classroom. The perfect book to read when students are creating classroom rules. The illustrations are funny and the style of the book makes reading it just as fun! The rules are explained so that there is no confusion. Perfect for all ages!
Cathy
Jul 01, 2011 rated it it was ok
Colorful and lively, artwork compliments text which is reminiscent of K. Applegate's Roscoe Riley series. Younger readers may need to be debriefed with a dictionary (fret, contradict), but a welcome title for back to school and exploring rules.
Marina
Sep 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book was so cute. It had some really good, pertinent rules for school. As well as the obligatory silly rules that kids will think are funny.
Paula
Wearing his monogrammed school cardigan, young Percy Isaac Gifford explains his rules of success for getting the most out of the school year.
Good book for beginning of the school year.
Edward Sullivan
Aug 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Another entertaining read aloud for back to school.
kristen
Aug 24, 2012 rated it did not like it
Stay Away! Exactly what I DON'T want to read to students. Lists and lists about what NOT to do at school. Ugh!
Mary Lee
Nov 24, 2011 rated it did not like it
This book really rubbed me the wrong way. Full of stereotypes and rules that tell you what NOT to do at school. Ugh.
Kate Hastings
Sep 26, 2015 rated it did not like it
Grade k-5. We work hard to focus on the positives at school. All I read were dont's. Some of the meter was forces in the rhymes. Illustrations were cute, but don't save the book.
Amber Monasterio
Jul 27, 2016
Karen Sheres
Jan 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Laurie Friedman is the author of over 50 award-winning picture books, chapter books, and novels for young readers including the bestselling Mallory McDonald chapter book series, The Mostly Miserable Life of April Sinclair teen journal-format series, and many rhyming picture books, including the Ruby Valentine series.