Start by marking “A Kingdom of Dreams (Westmoreland, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Kingdom of Dreams (Westmoreland, #1)

A Kingdom of Dreams

(Westmoreland Saga #1)

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  39,122 Ratings  ·  1,631 Reviews
Alternate cover for this ISBN can be found here

Bestselling author Judith McNaught has written a novel sure to continue the success of Something Wonderful. A Kingdom Of Dreams is the tender, tempestuous story of a feisty Scottish beauty and the fierce English warrior she defies--and desires! Abducted from her convent school, headstrong Jennifer Merrick does not easily surre
Mass Market Paperback, 438 pages
Published May 31st 1991 by Pocket Books (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about A Kingdom of Dreams, please sign up.

Dina
Feb 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Judith McNaught has done it again! This book has two major "pet peeves" of mine (#1- at the beginning, the hero beats the heroine not only once, but twice; #2- somewhere down the road, the hero and the heroine are torn apart by a Big Misunderstanding), but who cares? I don't know why, I don't know how, but I ended up loving this book! :)

Royce turned out to be a wonderful hero. After a less-than-thrilling introduction, he slowly (but steadily) started to grow on me, up to the point where I unders
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

I am at a loss for words – I seriously don’t know how to review this book – which words to use to do it justice. Kingdom of Dreams is my first read by this author and it will not be my last.

I was instantly captivated by the characters who are deeply complex, wonderful people trying to make their way through a rough, and oft times unfair world – and do it while keeping their honor and integrity intact. The storyline with its twists and turns fascinated me from the first page and held my attentio
Kristen
Huge 5+ stars

Kingdom of Dreams is one of the best books I've read!

The story is full of vibrant and richly developed characters, a plot that's riveting, emotional, provocative, and a prose that's exceptionally well written. To top it off, this book has one of the best ending I've read. It was amazing, extremely poignant, and very powerful. I'm still an emotional mess hours later.

Judith McNaught is an exceptional storyteller and I'm embarrassed it's taken me so long to read one of her books.
Karen
Oct 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
5+++ STARS!!!!!!!!!! ABSOLUTELY SENSATIONAL
[image error]  photo 3d7d133364bf1de455af5265024c3682.jpg

I just have to start off by saying that this may be my all time favorite stand alone romance book… EVER.!!!!! No kidding. I wasn’t even planning to read it quite yet. But I had gotten the paperback a while ago and it’s been sitting on my nightstand ever since. So the other night, I was having a little trouble sleeping and my ipad was downstairs… so I picked up this book. And I said to myself.. “I’ll just read the first chapter and see what
Mo
Apr 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

5 DREAMY STARS…

Loved this one. This is the second book I have read by this author and it will not be the last.

Royce Westmoreland .

aptly named THE WOLF

Scottish and English wars and hatred have abounded for years.

THOR, his trusted stallion

Can he tame the lovely Jennifer or will she be the one to tame the Wolf?

(The artist who painted this one was actually from my home village in the West of Ireland)

Loved Jennifer, she was so feisty, independent, loyal, beautiful …

"My own kingdom … I used to plan
Bgurl (don't h8 me cuz I'm honestful)
A Kingdom of Dreams by Judith McNaught:
3 “More *Galavant Than *The Tudors” Stars.
description
Hells yeah, I want to go there! I don’t really have a choice. Before cracking open, A Kingdom of Dreams, I read Teresa Denys’ masterpiece, *The Silver Devil, and in a Medieval romance face-off; McNaught’s version loses hands down.

To be fair, the two authors have very different writing styles: The Silver Devil, is dark, gritty, and authentic to the time period; while, A Kingdom of Dreams, is modish, amusing, a
♥ℳelody
* 2.5 I'm-really-getting-tired-of-this stars *

This really should have been titled Taming of the Shrew- Part II
 photo The-Taming-of-the-Shrew-elizabeth-taylor-21144695-500-201.gif

Or A Kingdom of Hell & Misery.

No? Too harsh? How about this:
 photo destroyeachother.gif

Well this sucks. Another McNaught favorite among many that I did not love. I feel like I should put out a disclaimer or apologize to my GR friends for clogging up your feeds with my negative reviews & low ratings as of late. I promise you I'm NOT doing it on purpose. I’m not one of those reviewers. I’ve been in a seri
Jilly
I liked it. I just didn't love it.

Sometimes I think that when I see all of my friends have given a book 5-stars, I go in with my expectations way too high. Or, it could be that I just like to be a jerk.

The problem I had with this is book is that I didn't like the heroine, Jennifer.
It started out well. I liked that she was figuring out ways to escape her kidnappers. I liked how hard she fought. But, after a while, she got real old real fast.

I get that she didn't like her kidnapper, Royce. I mea
Danielle
“You are mad!” she snapped, her chest heaving. “And you are a devil!”
“And you, my dear,” Royce imperturbably replied, “are a bitch.” With that, he turned to the horrified friar and unhesitatingly announced, “The lady and I wish to be wed.”

This is an oldy but a goody. I love these enemies-to-lovers stories, and JM seems to dish them out on silver platters. She always has the perfect amount of conflict to keep me invested. Not to mention, her heroes make me drool.

I'll admit that this isn't my
Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
Jennifer and Royce are at war with each other, well, technically their countries are. She's a Scottish Countess and he's an English Duke. And when Royce's brother, Stefan, kidnaps Jennifer and her sister, Brenna, things become personal in more ways than one.

Several people recommended this book to me (thank you!) and I can see why! Who doesn't love an enemies to lover story especially with someone as yummy as Royce.

description

Royce is known as The Wolf and is the King of England's best warrior. He has a f
Chantal ❤️
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5+ CAPTIVATING STARS

"Jenny, I love you."
"I think, my lord, I love you more."

This book was an exhilarating start to the Westmoreland saga.

Royce (the Black Wolf) Westmoreland, the Duke of Claymore find his destiny when his brother Stefan, kidnaps Jenny and her sister from her convent school wearing a nun's outfit of all things.
They both know of each by reputation only and each have already strong preconceived ideas of one another's character. And these ideas are not Favourable to say the least.
J
Karla

Re-read…AGAIN!! One of my favorite go-to-comfort-inspiring reads! How is it possible that it keeps getting better?! One of the best fight-to-the-finish love stories! It doesn’t come easy and it comes at a cost, but it’s so worth it!!!

5 Stars!! I am a blubbering mess. The last six paragraphs in the book, before the epilogue, where Royce contemplates the recent events in his life, just undid me. This is an intense, well written, passionate romance.

A wonderful journey, as Royce and Jenny discove
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
DNF - 11%

Bad, bad Alex! You should really stop trying to read Outlander-like books. They are not for you.

description

You see, I really enjoy a historical romance every now and then, so I'm fully aware that this kind of books tend to be misogynistic (time period and all that). I can overlook it. What I deeply dislike is when the physical punishment of the woman is involved. I'm beginning to understand that this is a huge pet peeve for me, so I'm going to avoid it from now on.
Mona
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mona by: Effie
Shelves: favorites
AMAZING, fabulous, OUTSTANDING read, that deserves a happy dance!

**Some spoilers ahead**

To say I was captivated from beginning to end, is a serious understatement. I physically couldn't stop myself from devouring every word written. Not to add any updates or even add this book to my CR list. My eyes were drying out (seriously, I used eyes drops) from not blinking enough and lack of sleep. It wasn't a pretty sight...

description

This historical romance sure didn't feel historical to me. It was so easy to
Lady Vigilante (Feifei)
Thanks Ash for the recommendation or I wouldn't have read it otherwise and that would be a shame! Also a pat on the back for me since I found this gem at Half-priced books.

This story can best be summarized with two words: Total escapism!!!! There's a reason historical romance reigns ahead on my favorite genre list and A Kingdom of Dreams is the perfect example! I loved the family/clan dynamics, court politics, and the depth the author portrayed these complex characters. This story was exactly
Brandi
Jan 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-favorite
description

Seriously. This book was just what I needed. I adored every page. Review to come.
Lover of Romance
This review was originally posted on Addicted To Romance My Review

The Kingdom of Dreams is the first book of the Westmoreland Saga. I read this book many years ago, and I had this on my list to re read, and since my library didn't have it any longer, I decided I would need to buy it and well worth it in the end!! I loved everything about this book. At first it started out a bit slow, and I was a bit worried that I wouldn't love it as much as I did when I read it the first time. But wow, suddenly I was dr
Taryn

This review was posted at My Secret Romance

This is romance at its best!

I've come to the conclusion that all the books I said I loved in the past, I didn't. I was wrong. I'm realizing that I lusted after them, not truly loved. This book is love.

The way I wrote my review for Whitney, My Love, is going to be the same way I write my review for this book. There isn't anything I can say that hasn't already been said about this book. It is a phenomenal book and everyone should read it regardless if yo
Tatiana
May 11, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all romance novels' fans
Recommended to Tatiana by: Arlene
Shelves: 2009, romancelandia
"A Kingdom of Dreams" is regarded as one of the best love stories by numerous romance novels fans. Being a non-romance reader (my interest waned by the age of about 15 when I'd read all possible feisty wench/dangerous rogue scenarios), I can't be a fair judge of the book, but here is my review nevertheless.

This book had some decent, at times funny dialog between 2 main characters, the bedroom scenes were fairly steamy without being graphic, but other than that, it was a typical historical roman
Duchess Nicole
This is a fantastic medieval romance. I stayed up until 3 in the morning, knowing that I wouldn't finish, because I literally couldn't put this book down. It took the best attributes from a strong-willed female heroine and the very best attributes from an alpha male hero and put them into THIS BOOK. I don't even really know what to say. So often, there is only a surface level reality to books set hundreds of years ago. But I swear I was hearing thundering hoof beats while I read this. Gush, gush ...more
Jan130
3.5 to 4 stars. It took me a little while to finish this reread of a book that was a fav for me when I first started out reading HRs, years ago. But times have changed, and HRs today have a different feel. It was interesting to find this one still stands up pretty well.

I read this for the 2018 Romance Across The Ages challenge for the Historical Romance Book Club group on GR. January theme: Scottish. It was also a rare (for me) medieval read, being set in the late 1400s.

Royce, Earl of Claymore,
Sophie ♥
“Royce understood then why she had come: she had come to finish the task her relatives had begun; to do to him what he had done to her brother. Unmoving, he watched her, noting that tears were pouring down her beautiful face as she slowly bent down. But instead of reaching for his lance or her dagger, she took his hand between both of hers and pressed her lips to it. Through his daze of pain and confusion, Royce finally understood that she was kneeling to him, and a groan tore from his chest: "D ...more
Arlene
May 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Arlene by: Buddy Read - Hannah
Review from July 31, 2009
A Kingdom of Dreams, by Judith McNaught, is probably my favorite love story of all times. Romance is not my preferred genre, but this book definitely has all the magical elements to make you believe in fairy tale love and a knight in shining armor. I love the two main characters of this novel, and when they meet, you become captivated by their fierce battle of wills and ultimately their undying love for each other. This story is filled with a perfect blend of romance, a
Hollis
"Why is it, that every time you surrender willingly, like this, you make me feel like a king who has conquered. Yet when I conquer you against your will, you make me feel like a defeated beggar?"

I am on a fantastic run of fucking brilliant historical romances right now. What makes this one even more special is the unique (to me) time period. Other than Arthurian-set stories, I have never read something from the Medieval era and I so enjoyed the change in pace. But honestly what didn't I love abo
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*

Characters are wonderfully fleshed and out and complex for this genre type. Jennifer is bold and daring, loyal and open-hearted. She's not so steel-spined that she's unrealistic, and I enjoyed being in her head for this storyline after I got over her annoying loyalty to a clan that didn't necessarily deserve it. The "hero" Royce was
Didi
My heart is bursting!!!! Love is not a strong enough word to describe how I feel about this book!

5 HUGE, DREAMY STARS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Many people have read this book and I seem to be in the minority of those who haven't until now. And because of this reason I won't draw out my review. But OH MY GOD. I love HR but this is in a class of it's own!

Breathtaking and incredibly thick with layers and plot twists, this is the best HR I've read to date. It had everything I could hope for: Romance, intrigue, a
Maria
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
No género de romance até gostei deste livro. Mas apesar da parte pseudo-histórica, para mim não deixa de ser um romance cor de rosa. Simpático sim, com personagens principais com alguma piada, dai recomendar vivamente a quem gosta do género
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
I am highly disappointed in the build-up, only for it to end that way. I had expected way more for that ending than the one we got. The book was alright, enjoyable even, for like 30 (+-)% of the book, but then I started to lose respect for Jennifer Merrick (17). I ended up with feeling a somewhat hatred towards her, which is not a good thing. She also didn't gain back my trust, which perhaps is why I'm very disappointed with how thing happened.
“The groom always smiles proudly because he's con
*MariaA*
***10****
After reading it for maybe the hundredth time, I declare "A kingdom of dreams" to be the best historical of all time!!!
The spellbinding quality of Mcnaught's narrations, how she magically weaves a story/characters that transport you to another time and place is unique just to her!!

I always wished for movies to be made out of her HRs'..well since that has not yet been done,i'll try a little bit something here with my imagination...(WTH even if it gets a bit cheesy;))

"ROYCE WESTMORELAND"
Sher❤ The Fabulous BookLover
4.5 Stars
Such a beautiful story! I loved it!
This is historical romance at its finest. The characters were solidly developed and the writing was just superb. It was packed with love, suspense, adventure and lessons to be learned. I fell in love with these characters and I'm sad to see them go.

• The Secret (Highlands' Lairds #1)
  • Surrender (MacKinnon’s Rangers,  #1)
  • Comanche Moon (Comanche, #1)
  • Dreaming of You (The Gamblers, #2)
  • Stormfire
  • Flowers from the Storm
  • Always to Remember
  • Prisoner of My Desire
  • Dancing on Coals
  • At the Bride Hunt Ball (Devine & Friends, #1)
  • To Love a Dark Lord
  • Lord of Scoundrels (Scoundrels, #3)
  • The Warlord (Montagues, #1)
  • The Promise of Jenny Jones
  • To Have and To Hold (Wyckerley Trilogy, #2)
You can find Judith McNaught in facebook: https://www.facebook.com/authorjudith...

Judith McNaught is a #1 New York Times Best-Selling Author, with more than forty million copies of her novels in print, in over eighty countries and more than thirty languages. She was also the first female executive producer at a CBS radio station. McNaught is credited with inventing the modern Regency Historical ro

Westmoreland Saga (4 books)
  • Whitney, My Love (Westmoreland, #2)
  • Until You (Westmoreland, #3)
  • Can't Take My Eyes Off of You

Romance Deals

• Party Girl
    $4.49 $1.99
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Paris (International Guy #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Him (Fool Me Once, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Off Base (Out of Uniform, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Second Chance Summer (Cedar Ridge, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Married By Morning (The Hathaways, #4)
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beneath Copper Falls (Rock Harbor #6)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Tight
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Year of Weddings: Twelve Love Stories (A Year of Weddings Novella)
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Feral Sins (The Phoenix Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How to Tame a Beast in Seven Days (The Embraced #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Shame on You (Fool Me Once, #1)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Me (Fool Me Once, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Exes (Liars, Inc., #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Shadow's Edge (Night Prowler, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Taste of Magic (Magic, # 1)
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • New York (International Guy #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Sin With Me (Bad Habit, #3)
  • The Memory of You
    $8.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wicked Cravings (The Phoenix Pack, #2)
  • Good Guys Love Dogs
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Camino Beach
  • Shadow Woman
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Embrace the Night (Vampire Romance #1)
  • The Shell Seekers
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wicked White (Wicked White Series Book 1)
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Carnal Secrets (The Phoenix Pack, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Scream For Me: A Novel of the Night Hunter (For Me, #3)
  • When Life Happened
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Cheater (Curious Liaisons, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cheater's Regret (Curious Liaisons, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hunting Grounds (Hidden Sins, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Revenge (Consequence, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Seduction (Consequence #3)
  • The Story of Us
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Loving Colton (Consequence, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • No More Masquerade (Secrets of Stone Series Book 2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dunaway's Crossing
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Twisted Truths (Blood Brothers, #3)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Curse Defiers (The Curse Keepers, #3)
  • The Roommate 'dis'Agreement
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Rules of Regret
  • Cry Baby
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Matchmaking for Beginners
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Hollywood Dirt (Hollywood Dirt, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Threat of Danger (Mission Recovery, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Copenhagen (International Guy #3)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Don't Hex with Texas (Enchanted, Inc., #4)
  • Windfallen
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Wild Hunger (The Phoenix Pack, #7)
  • Archer's Voice
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wicked Intentions (Maiden Lane, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Billionaire's Touch (The Sinclairs, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • No Ordinary Billionaire (The Sinclairs, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Forbidden Billionaire (The Sinclairs, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • No Turning Back (Kathleen Turner #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Surviving Girls (Hidden Sins, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dirt on Ninth Grave (Charley Davidson, #9)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Dark Instincts (The Phoenix Pack, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
“The groom always smiles proudly because he's convinced he's accomplished something quite wonderful. The bride smiles because she's been able to convince him of it.” 249 likes
“Some women need no jewels to make them sparkle. You are one of them.

-Royce Westmoreland”